This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-22-2015 02:29:26 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

English Translation of Utena game (Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari)

English translation of the Utena Saturn video game has reached version 1.0, with 100% of script texts translated and fully playable!

Game ISOs (in Japanese):
Disc 1
Disc 2
The ISOs have been removed from the site for the moment because of bandwidth issues!  Forum member prumm has hosted them on mediafire; you can find the links here.

Download link for the translator v1.04:
https://mega.nz/#!ywtDzDza!ZXNxaD4q2V-P … IOJQkbrzz4

Mirrors for the translator:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/5lVaHN-Gba/u … r_104.html
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6rbnaz

Instructions:

To translate the Japanese isos, follow these steps:

- Place the Japanese isos of the game in the translator directory. They should be named "Utena_Sega1.iso" and "Utena_Sega2.iso"

- (Optional but recommended step)
Right click on "translate.bat" and select "Edit". Near the beginning, you will find these two lines:

set name=default
set surname=default

Change "default" in both lines, with the desired name and surname for your character, respectively, and save the file.

This step is optional, if you don't do this step, your character will have the name you enter in game, which is
very limited (only 3 chars for name and surname).

The name and surname you enter here don't have any length limit but you must use only valid English characters, don't use tildes or
special symbols from other languages.
Japanese characters can also be used, but in that case, the .bat file must be edited in UTF-8 mode.

- Run (double-click) translate.bat.

That's all. Now you will have two new files: "Utena_English1.iso" and "Utena_English2.iso", which are the ones
you must use with the emulator. The original Japanese isos remain untouched by the program.
Please keep your Japanese isos, you will need them for updates of the translation or to change the name of your character.

If you changed the name of your character in the .bat file, you can change it again at any moment by editing and running the .bat again.

---------------

Setting up the emulator and running the game (you can skip this if you already know how to do it)

- Download the emulator from internet. The recommended emulator is "SSF 0.12 beta R3".
  There is a more updated version of the emulator, "SSF 0.12 beta R4", but on my tests, it can be problematic
  with some NVIDIA cards or drivers (not in all of them).

The game can also work on the other main Saturn emulator: Yabause, but unfortunately sound will not work on it; it is only  recommended if you can't make SSF work in your system.

- Because SSF can't load ISO files, you will need a Virtual CD emulator. There are a lot of them, but not all of them are compatible with SSF.
  The recommended one is "Virtual CloneDrive", which is free and compatible with SSF.

- Saturn BIOS: good news, you don't need any bios file for SSF. The internal one of SSF works pretty well with this game.
  You will need one if you use Yabause emulator, though.

- Mount "Utena_English1.iso" with Virtual CloneDrive.

- Run SSF. In Options->CD Drive, select the unit of CloneDrive (ELBY CLONEDRIVE or something like that).

- Optionally set the keys for the Saturn buttons (you can use keyboard or controller).

- Now you can run the game. Use Alt+Enter to put the game in full screen, and Alt+Enter again to leave full screen mode.

- When you create a new game, you will be asked to enter a name for your character.
  If you did the optional step of setting the name of your character in the .bat file, then this one will be ignored in the game, but
  it must be filled anyway.

The name here will still appear in the load/save screen though, so maybe you want to make a short version of the name (otherwise just select letters randomly).
  To enter western characters, go to the top-right Japanese letter, which will open a box with the western letters.

- Enjoy the game! At some point of the game, you will be asked to change the disc, just follow the instructions in screen.

--------------

TODO section / Things that can still be worked on

What is currently translated:

- 100% of script texts.
- The most visible parts of the GUI in regular game usage. (main menu, load/save menu, errors related with loading/saving, disc change instructions and nobility screen)

What is not translated:

- Videos. Except for the introduction of Ohtori Academy near the beginning of the game, the rest of the videos don't have much audio anyway, and you won't be missing anything important.
For this video, it was decided to include a translation in text form after the video has played. This will be removed if in the future we find a way to reencode and subtitle videos for the game.
- Name tags of characters
- Student handbook (this includes some information about characters, controls, etc). The main concern when translating these ones will be fitting the translation in that tiny space, and make the letters look good.

If there is someone that is good editing images, you can collaborate to translate the name tags of the characters. Read the file "Advanced Usage.txt" to know how to extract all the images from the original isos, and to learn about requirements of formats for the images. After image extraction, you will find the nametags in the extracted folder, in the subfolder /SSCD/NAMETAG

Additionally, if you want to improve on current translated images, the translator includes in the "resources_english" all intermediate files that were used when creating the currently translated images.

CREDITS
PROGRAMMING/TEXT & IMAGE EDITING: Endless
TRANSLATION/TEXT EDITING: Dallbun
TRANSLATION/TEXT EDITING: Ayu Ohseki
AYU'S SUPPORT TEXT EDITORS: LuxLustravi, Loki, Josh Breitbart

SPECIAL THANKS
esperknight and gpink, for figuring out stuff
Giovanna and Yasha for hosting ohtori.nu site
User kingshriek of "gemot encubed" site for initially figuring out some of the image formats in this post: http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=35733
Jacrad for providing some base images for name tags, although nametags aren't currently translated in this release.

Last edited by satyreyes (10-22-2015 09:54:55 PM)

#2 | Back to Top09-22-2015 10:37:41 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: English Translation of Utena game (Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari)

I'm an adult now. I'm dignified. I'll express my approval of this in an appropriate manner.

Screw dignity.

https://theotherlandofoz.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/squee.png

I'm so happy.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#3 | Back to Top09-23-2015 03:33:59 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

SQUEE!  (glomps you Wakaba style) I'd buy you a pizza if I could! THANK YOUUUU! Now I can seduce Saionji in English! emot-danceemot-dance

Last edited by Riri-kins (09-23-2015 03:35:39 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top09-23-2015 08:12:39 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

One quick thing about your character name:

I decided to go with Japanese-style "last name first" for the script. People will call Juri "Arisugawa Juri," not "Juri Arisugawa."

That also means that your character's surname will come first. If you put in

set name=Candy
set surname=Southern

then when people call your character by their full name, they'll say Southern Candy, not Candy Southern. In this context, using Japanese names will probably sound more natural. Steal some from your favorite anime, manga, or artists!

It's a pretty questionable translation choice, I know. If Japanese-style names feel weird, tell me - it would be pretty easy to make a translation file where the names are Western-style.

#5 | Back to Top09-24-2015 02:06:10 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

What about the game itself? I can't seem to find where to get it from.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#6 | Back to Top09-24-2015 02:23:11 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

I love you so much! etc-love
Perfect gift for my birthday. emot-keke

#7 | Back to Top09-24-2015 07:01:39 PM

Dallbun

YamPuff wrote:

What about the game itself? I can't seem to find where to get it from.

Good question. They're kindly being hosted by the webmistresses.

Game ISOs:

Disc 1
Disc 2

#8 | Back to Top09-24-2015 08:25:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dallbun, do you want to edit those links into the OP?

#9 | Back to Top09-24-2015 09:03:40 PM

Dallbun

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun, do you want to edit those links into the OP?

Endless might have not done so to avoid directly condoning illegal file sharing. But since the game is so obscure and you can't find a rom that easily, I think we probably should.

So I'd say go ahead - it can always be changed again later if someone's uncomfortable with it.

#10 | Back to Top09-25-2015 02:09:27 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I will feel especially justified in downloading this, considering I've owned the game for years and gotten all the endings, while understanding only about half of what's going on. Thanks, four years of Japanese and various dictionaries (and GameFAQs)!

No, but seriously, many thanks to the translators et al. for making this happen. etc-love

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#11 | Back to Top09-25-2015 02:40:46 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

To all who worked on making this happen: may your revolutions be successful, may you turn into cars and go shooting off into the future while kissing your significant other, or drive off on your own in an obscure metaphorical reference, as you happen to prefer. etc-love

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#12 | Back to Top09-25-2015 05:44:56 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

You're the best and get all the things, guys etc-love

#13 | Back to Top09-25-2015 01:51:57 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Oh wow, this is great. I just assumed this game would never be translated and I'd have to learn Japanese eventually before I could play it.

I'll start it later when I have the time etc-love

#14 | Back to Top09-26-2015 11:44:59 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Thank you so much for this! Too bad I didn't think this was going to happen a while back, other wise I would have avoided spoilers... However, even knowing things about the plot, the game is already amazing, and the translation is very good. I think I counted one instance of a character eating "desert" though.

im a shadow play girl irl

#15 | Back to Top09-26-2015 11:51:44 PM

Dallbun

Arale wrote:

Thank you so much for this! Too bad I didn't think this was going to happen a while back, other wise I would have avoided spoilers... However, even knowing things about the plot, the game is already amazing, and the translation is very good. I think I counted one instance of a character eating "desert" though.

And it's an unavoidable line, no less. Whoops!

Thanks for letting me know. I just fixed that in my personal copy. Please let me know if you notice any other errors or trouble spots, and I'll update the translation file for a future update.

Last edited by Dallbun (09-27-2015 01:39:38 AM)

#16 | Back to Top09-29-2015 09:28:47 AM

natsymi
New Student

It's really cool that you done it! Thank you!! ><  But could you upload the english patch on 4shared.com or mediafire.com please? Mega just isn't working for me, I don't know why.

Last edited by natsymi (09-29-2015 09:29:58 AM)

#17 | Back to Top09-30-2015 01:13:31 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

natsymi wrote:

It's really cool that you done it! Thank you!! ><  But could you upload the english patch on 4shared.com or mediafire.com please? Mega just isn't working for me, I don't know why.

Sure, added a couple of mirrors now.

#18 | Back to Top10-01-2015 04:32:29 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Naturally, we're in the middle of moving so we're late to the party here. Endless, would you mind if we create a subsite for the game and host the translation and instructions there? We want to make sure this will always be available.

Thank you so much to everyone who worked on this. We'll finally be able to play it for real! etc-love

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#19 | Back to Top10-01-2015 05:05:18 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

Sure, go ahead.

#20 | Back to Top10-01-2015 06:28:48 AM

Dallbun

Gio, since you're going to re-host them anyway, here's the updated english script file to use instead.

http://www.megafileupload.com/9qvU/utena_eng.ini

I changed "desert" to "dessert," "Dfuelist" to "Duelist," standardized the spelling of "adviser/advisor," and cleaned up one or two other places. Truly, a thrilling update that nobody can live without!

Since there are now two versions of that file, I typed up a super-quick heading at the top of the file to note what I changed and when it was last modified. I called this one version 1.01.

#21 | Back to Top10-01-2015 03:38:22 PM

Leirr ✰
Wakaba Wrangler

Can't even come up with a witty thing. Too cool. I thin I'll just say this: thanks and GJ guys etc-love

#22 | Back to Top10-01-2015 06:37:31 PM

Dallbun

Whoops, it's up on tumblr but we didn't get a chance to update the translation file. emot-frown Delicious deserts for everyone, I guess!

Yasha, I don't tumblr. If we re-uploaded it onto the file-sharing sites, it it possible to change the tumblr post retroactively to link to 1.01?

#23 | Back to Top10-01-2015 08:14:13 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I can edit my own post, but it doesn't change anyone else's reblogs. I've updated it to v1.01 and reblogged that so that everyone will see it.

I'm so happy. I've been waiting like ten years for this. Thank you all so, so much!!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#24 | Back to Top10-01-2015 08:45:54 PM

Dallbun

Yasha wrote:

I can edit my own post, but it doesn't change anyone else's reblogs. I've updated it to v1.01 and reblogged that so that everyone will see it.

Cool, thanks. I just figured it was a good opportunity to catch those errors as it was going out to a wider audience.

I'm so happy. I've been waiting like ten years for this. Thank you all so, so much!!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

You're welcome! Enjoy the game and let us know what you think while playing it.

On the sad side, I think we're reaching peak Utena. With the novels and the game available, there's not much left... emot-wink

#25 | Back to Top10-01-2015 08:56:58 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Still, being able to play the game is amazing. I've already got a date to play with egg from the forum here, next weekend, and I can't wait!

Also, I would like to pass along thanks from legalist217 to everyone who worked on the game. This came right after a stressful time for them and they've always wanted to play it, so they're super happy about it. Thank you!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer