This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-02-2007 05:48:41 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Cartoon Network (U.S): Still Good or Bad for Anime

DISCLAIMER(for non-American members): This is originally intended for the American members of this board,(or those who've seen the American Cartoon Network) but ALL are encouraged to chime in.

The year 2007 marks two events : the 15th anniversary of Cartoon Network (US) and the 10th anniversary of the Toonami  Block and it inspired me to write this.

Now why I find this important is because first of all it was Toonami that  really got me back into Anime(esp. when sci-fi channel stopped showing anime) full steam (albeit led by the dreckful DBZ) and secondly, it opened anime to a wider audience. Like it or not had it not been for Toonami, anime (in the US) would'nt be what it is today. Also there would be no Anime on Adult swim (which IMO would be a good thing,   However, saying that, I wonder if, today if Cartoon Network, being such an influence on many's ( IN the US and other western countries........ though not many in this board....including me, anymore) anime choices,  and seeing the popularity of series like Naruto, Inuyasha on the network and how they have sorta polarized the (anime fan)community somewhat makes me wonder if CN is actually still good for anime or bad for anime.

#2 | Back to Top04-02-2007 07:12:03 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Cartoon Network (U.S): Still Good or Bad for Anime

I'd have to say good overall.

Were it not for their airings of Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing, I'm sure I'd never have become a fan of anime.  If I never became an anime fan, I'd never have found out about SKU. emot-tongue

If CN never showed anime back in its still relatively niche days of the late 90s/early 00s, I'm not sure how I'd have come across it or if I would have become interested in it at all. I still find great shows that I enjoy on Adult Swim that I may never otherwise have tried out.

So yeah, I think it's a good thing.  I don't need anyone else's approval to like what I like.  Anyone is free to say anime on american tv sucks because it's on american tv or whatever their rationalization is, but don't they dare tell me that I am not a 'real' anime fan just because I watch some dubbed anime on american tv that may happen to be popular.

If someone discovers some anime they like on CN and are serious about making it a hobby, they'll expand their horizons on their own at their own pace.  It's the ones that never leave their comfort zone that are denying themselves the experience of all the medium has to offer.

Asking if CN is good or bad for anime is like asking if TCM is good or bad for classic movies.  Anime is a medium, not a genre. emot-smile

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-02-2007 07:21:09 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top04-02-2007 08:58:38 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I miss the old Toonami, minus Dragon Ball Z, I really do. With the original guy, Reboot, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star. All those Goodies! I mean, the new Toonami is sad. I guess this is sobecause Adult Swim took away all the good shows.

*Alas*

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#4 | Back to Top04-04-2007 05:47:57 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I'd have to say good overall.

Were it not for their airings of Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing, I'm sure I'd never have become a fan of anime.  If I never became an anime fan, I'd never have found out about SKU. emot-tongue

If CN never showed anime back in its still relatively niche days of the late 90s/early 00s, I'm not sure how I'd have come across it or if I would have become interested in it at all. I still find great shows that I enjoy on Adult Swim that I may never otherwise have tried out.

So yeah, I think it's a good thing.  I don't need anyone else's approval to like what I like.  Anyone is free to say anime on american tv sucks because it's on american tv or whatever their rationalization is, but don't they dare tell me that I am not a 'real' anime fan just because I watch some dubbed anime on american tv that may happen to be popular.

If someone discovers some anime they like on CN and are serious about making it a hobby, they'll expand their horizons on their own at their own pace.  It's the ones that never leave their comfort zone that are denying themselves the experience of all the medium has to offer.

Asking if CN is good or bad for anime is like asking if TCM is good or bad for classic movies.  Anime is a medium, not a genre. emot-smile

True , I stand corrected
It has been good OVERALL. I'm probably thinking about the current state of toonami (minus Prince of Tennis and Mar, two shows I like..........sue me!) which I think is sad (can you say Bobobobb whahtever the heck it is......WHAT A WASTE, IMO ) Toonami got me back into Anime (after Sci-fi stopped showing it)

My experience is EXACTLY SIMILAR to yours, (I loved BSSM ,GW and my beloved Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors on toonami back in the day.......I'm gettin' old)If it were'nt for Toonami (and for that matter Pokemon, yes I wuz a pokemaniac back then, too, Hey, back then it was still slim pickens.) I would not be the fan I am today either.  I also found my way to Animerica and Animerica Extra magazine, home to two of my all-time faves, Fushigi Yuugi and
of course, SKU, and eventually to Newtype and other magazines.

I could'nt have said it better myself, End of story.

Last edited by conner (04-04-2007 05:48:14 PM)

#5 | Back to Top04-04-2007 05:57:19 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Sevelle wrote:

I miss the old Toonami, minus Dragon Ball Z, I really do. With the original guy, Reboot, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star. All those Goodies! I mean, the new Toonami is sad. I guess this is sobecause Adult Swim took away all the good shows.

*Alas*

emot-gonk
I miss it too. , but I think CN brass needed to shift Toonami to a younger audience, hence Naruto and the other shows,to compete with Nickelodeon (which it will never be good as)

IMO Adult swim doesn't deserve to run the anime block. AS is Aquateen Hungerforce, Space Ghost, Futurama and Family Guy. Not Inuyasha and Bleach. the "Action" ( IMO they don't have the guts to actually call it "anime") block kinda sticks out like a sore thumb in the Adult Swim empire. CN needs to split the Anime from the Adult Swim group and create something new since they'll never create an(digital) 24-hr anime network, EVER! (ADV beat them to the punch)

#6 | Back to Top04-04-2007 06:06:42 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I miss watching Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing  I think I miss the utter fandom associated with it. Everyday after school, you could find me perched in front of TV watching it. So, I'm biased I think CN is good for anime. I mean you sort of need a popular media format to get counter-culture interests like Anime into mainstream or avenues like middle america. This is great, because when I was growing up (back in  my day...) I had to special order everything, and liking or being into anime was financially difficult, if I wanted Tylor or Sailor Moon OAV's I was shelling out good flippin' alliowance money. But as I watch my younger brothers grow up, anime is so into pop culture now, that it's easy to access and easy to consume. As far as new Toonami goes, it could stand for improvement. The way I see it, Nickelodeon is competing with CN, because CN was the first to embrace anime, and Nickelodeon boarded the wagon after noticing how lucrative it is.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#7 | Back to Top04-05-2007 05:04:27 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Its good of course; they give anime to the masses. Who cares if the dubs are sub-par or censored, I'm not going to go all elitest and say they should have never been made. The average person wants something dubbed.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#8 | Back to Top04-05-2007 04:45:45 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

YamPuff wrote:

Its good of course; they give anime to the masses. Who cares if the dubs are sub-par or censored

I don't,  and here's a secret, I watch some shows with the sound off.
, I'm not going to go all elitest and say they should have never been made. The average person wants something dubbed.

Actually, being an English-speaking person, I prefer dubs myself (to process a story into my mind faster than subs)

#9 | Back to Top04-05-2007 04:57:19 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

I miss watching Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing  I think I miss the utter fandom associated with it.
I remember the internet was so crowded with GW and BSSM
sites......well, as All in the Family theme goes.......Those Were The Days.

Everyday, after school, you could find me perched in front of TV watching it. So, I'm biased I think CN is good for anime.

I mean you sort of need a popular media format to get counter-culture interests like Anime into mainstream or avenues like middle america. This is great, because when I was growing up (back in  my day...) I had to special order everything, and liking or being into anime was financially difficult, if I wanted Tylor or Sailor Moon OAV's I was shelling out good flippin' alliowance money. But as I watch my younger brothers grow up, anime is so into pop culture now, that it's easy to access and easy to consume. As far as new Toonami goes, it could stand for improvement. The way I see it, Nickelodeon is competing with CN, because CN was the first to embrace anime, and Nickelodeon boarded the wagon after noticing how lucrative it is.

CORRECTION: My mistake. When I was referring to Nickelodeon, I was actually referring to Nick VS CN as networks at large, rather than in anime dimensions. For years CN (save for toonami and AS as a whole has badly wanted to be a Nickelodeon clone.

The way I see it, Nickelodeon is competing with CN, because CN was the first to embrace anime, and Nickelodeon boarded the wagon after noticing how lucrative it is.

It sure took Nick a long time to catch up, given Toonami's wide leadership in the category. but with Avatar it's seeing that it(anime and anime-style formats) 's a good thing.

#10 | Back to Top04-05-2007 07:11:37 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

I love Adult Swim and Cartoon Network in general, the non-anime programs are good, and the ability to get people into anime is a plus. 
But, I'm highly bias, I've met and hung out with Tom (one of the main guys of Adult Swim,) so in my mind, they can do no wrong.  He's so charismatic and nice, and really wears a suit well!  (Hehe, Gio would love him)
It's nice being able to turn on the TV and get anime, no matter how bad the dubbs are, but I get frustrated with people who are unwilling to give shows that are obnoxious with dubbs a chance with their subtitled counterparts.
Example:  I hate, absolutely hate Naruto dubbed, but I'm rather fond of it's subtitled counterpart

Last edited by Iris (04-05-2007 07:12:00 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#11 | Back to Top04-06-2007 12:34:31 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Unless the dubs are horribly bad and they censor the series until they are not recognizable anymore I don't think it could be bad for anime to be mainstream.

To Personal_IceQueen: is that a Death avatar? man I love that character. (though I kind of like better Delirium)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#12 | Back to Top04-06-2007 09:52:22 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

First off, I'm glad this thread was started. I really respect Cartoon Network. I really do. Sure, it's not the same as it was before but I just love it. I immediately dug out my old issue of Animerica. This was just before Adult Swim started:

Animerica August/Setember 2001 (pg 8)
"As of September, Cartoon Network will be officially not just for kids anymore. The network is launching a new midnight programming block called "Adult Swim" for a target audience of 18 to 34-year-olds ...

The first anime series to be signed up for this new block is Cowboy Bebop, the hypercool sci-fi series that was notable for featuring sever episodes that were considered too racy to air in Japan, never mind in America. But [t]he network does seem to have taken this kind of issue into account - Adult Swim shows will carry ratings of TV-PG and TV-14, will only be promoted of Cartoon Network late at night, and will carry parental advisory warnings.

"Animation has never been an art that was solely geared toward kids," said Mike Lazzo, senior vice president of programming and production for Cartoon Network. "... we've created a group of shows that we think will become appointment viewing for fans of smart, funny television."

It just pleases me that the mission of Cartoon Network is to promote all types of cartoons to the public whether it be adult or child. It just comes to show that this is a channel that appreciates the variety of animation whether it be American or Japanese.

#13 | Back to Top04-06-2007 10:32:00 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Unless the dubs are horribly bad and they censor the series until they are not recognizable anymore I don't think it could be bad for anime to be mainstream.

To Personal_IceQueen: is that a Death avatar? man I love that character. (though I kind of like better Delirium)

Quoted for truth! If they don't censor, and the dub is good, I don't have a problem with it, either! emot-keke
I think there are a few animes that are translated without being butchered... but I can't think of the names at the moment. I think... Evangelion was pretty decent.

#14 | Back to Top04-07-2007 06:43:06 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist have excellent dubs.  Samurai Champloo is also good.  Even Hamtaro was dubbed well.

I think the idea that every single dub job is a hacked up and rewritten piece of garbage has long passed.  Maybe in the early days when nobody knew who the audience for anime was, but not anymore. The only possible remaining exception might be the kid-oriented action fare.  Though not being in that audience, I can't say.

Bad acting is one thing, but unless someone can speak and understand Japanese fluently then they have no business saying that the translated version is 'inaccurate'.  If you want to rip an english version, look at how Nelvana butchered Cardcaptor Sakura.  That is worthy of the hatred of a thousand suns.

And to Hiraku's point, off the top of my head, Adult Swim aired Witch Hunter Robin, Paranoia Agent, and FLCL completely untouched.  The only change to FLCL was a mosaic in episode six was enlarged a little, but it was already there to begin with.  The only addition I might make to your point is that DVD presentation and TV presentation can differ.  Just because something is edited for TV (what isn't these days? Anime or otherwise) doesn't mean that it is on the DVD release.  Oh yeah, Adult Swim also aired Evangelion pretty much unedited.

And this coming from someone who watches 90% of their anime subtitled.  And the reason I do so is in the interest of culture.  I watch a French movie in French, so I choose to watch a Japanese TV series in Japanese.  But I fully acknowledge the many excellent dubs out there.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-07-2007 06:49:52 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#15 | Back to Top04-07-2007 10:22:03 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist have excellent dubs.  Samurai Champloo is also good.  Even Hamtaro was dubbed well.

Bad acting is one thing, but unless someone can speak and understand Japanese fluently then they have no business saying that the translated version is 'inaccurate'.  If you want to rip an english version, look at how Nelvana butchered Cardcaptor Sakura.  That is worthy of the hatred of a thousand suns.

I totally agree with that. After all, you can only be accurate enough when altering grammar and fitting in the words. Personally, I don't mind when some dialogue is altered minimally to meet English speaking tastes. It bugs me when people believe that languages can directly be translated. It can't and translators are doing the best they can. I do believe that the translators should preserve the story in the anime. Cartoon Network surprisingly hasn't shown too many super edited shows compared to WB or FOX (Mew Mew Power ... ugh).

Television standards are there for a reason. You can't blame the channel for censoring things. After all, anyone can watch television and it's barely monitored. It's not the same as going to a video store or movie theater where they check IDs. The Japanese rating system is also completely different from the American rating system. Sure, a PG-13 movie in Japan is equivelent to an R rating in America but at least they're preserving the original intended audience by censoring it a little. I don't sit and count all the things that are censored either. Usually, it doesn't get in the way and sometimes, I don't really notice it.

Oh, and I'm not gonna lie. I haven't really watched Cowboy Bebop subbed except for the movie (but I switched back to English). The dub is a masterpiece. And, yes, the first time I watched Cowboy Bebop was on the first day that Adult Swim aired.

#16 | Back to Top04-07-2007 01:40:00 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Iris wrote:

I love Adult Swim and Cartoon Network in general, the non-anime programs are good, and the ability to get people into anime is a plus. 
But, I'm highly bias, I've met and hung out with Tom (one of the main guys of Adult Swim,) so in my mind, they can do no wrong.  He's so charismatic and nice, and really wears a suit well!  (Hehe, Gio would love him)
It's nice being able to turn on the TV and get anime, no matter how bad the dubbs are, but I get frustrated with people who are unwilling to give shows that are obnoxious with dubbs a chance with their subtitled counterparts.
Example:  I hate, absolutely hate Naruto dubbed, but I'm rather fond of it's subtitled counterpart

I have no real qualms about Adult Swim or CN and I think it has been the greatest force for bringing anime to the masses, They have the highest standards for their anime choices.

From Rae:
It just pleases me that the mission of Cartoon Network is to promote all types of cartoons to the public whether it be adult or child. It just comes to show that this is a channel that appreciates the variety of animation whether it be American or Japanese.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, I love 85% of the show on the whole lineup but........

Sure, it's not the same as it was before but I just love it.

Hmmmm.......................... Tonight (as of the time of this writing)
Toonami schedule
First Hour
New Yugioh GX (uhhhhhhhh)
classic  DBZ (uuuuuuughhhhhhhhh!)
and then.......................
3 straight Hours of NARUTO........believe it!  (Oy Vey, IMO)

let's just say I'm glad I'm going out with friends tonight.

But seriously, Rae,I can't agree with you there 100% I think CN has slipped noticeably in all of it's regions ( traditional ,(there are no  bad shows, my problem is that there's a lack of variety nowadays) toonami (needs a little work), AS/Anime (needs more shows like Blood and Bleach and less like Eureka7) and AS/ Comedy (Love Boondocks, Robot Chicken, and the Aquateens, and the Fox shows add to the flavor, but let's just say I'm not too big on Tim and Eric or whatever there names are)
most of the 15% of the shows that I dislike are among the newest kids on the block. (like Tim and Eric)
I don't watch toonami and  like I used to (and this is JUST in the past year) and I find myself DVRing the shows I do like on the block (namely the 2 aforementioned Mar and PoT and for that matter Bleach and Blood on AS) and I am getting more and more of my anime fix from Netflix more often, sure it's takes time, but well worth it IMO.)

Last edited by conner (04-07-2007 01:40:50 PM)

#17 | Back to Top04-07-2007 05:11:01 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I have to give you props on that one, Conner emot-tongue Forgot to consider those points.

However, I'll admit that I'm more (far more) of an AS watcher than a Toonami watcher. I haven't watched Toonami lately, truth be told so I should have considered that too. Toonami does need work.

#18 | Back to Top04-07-2007 07:33:28 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Isn't Toonami's primary audience now 10 year old boys who want action-action-action! ?   Maybe that's the exact lineup that they want... :shrug:

And then there's Miguzi.  I'm not quite sure what the target is there (I haven't checked that lineup in months), but it seemed to resemble the old Toonami that I and others in my 'anime generation' were 'brought up' on more than the current Toonami.

Ah, Toonami Midnight Run... those were the days...

#19 | Back to Top04-08-2007 09:00:18 PM

RainbowRoseQueen
Pained Growlithe

Oh great merciful god I hate it.......They actually air the WORST DUBBED VERSIONS OF ANIME EVER! I hated the dubbed Sailor Moon. They ruined the hell out of a perfectly good anime. But, on the Adult Swim portion of it, I wouldn't give a damn about it. The cartoon network is horrible but Adult Swim is great. Wow, its funny how I can LOVE and at the same time HATE the same channel. I only dislike the dubbed anime in CN. I like Adult Swim because of Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist ,Bleach, Eureka and Samurai Champloo! I like more Shonen anime than Shojo anime. But the shojo anime i like is loved much:grin: Utena and Sailor Moon are mainly the only shojo anime I watch.....well maybe just Utena:grin:emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrin

#20 | Back to Top04-08-2007 09:12:38 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

RainbowRoseQueen wrote:

Wow, its funny how I can LOVE and at the same time HATE the same channel.

Because you love and hate diferent part of it, aimed at a diferent public with probably diferent people at charge of the programing.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#21 | Back to Top04-09-2007 05:54:58 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

quote=Imaginary Bad Bug Isn't Toonami's primary audience now 10 year old boys who want action-action-action! ?   Maybe that's the exact lineup that they want... :shrug:

Yep! Right You Are! and not only action but sub-South Park 3rd grade toilet humor (bobobboboobobo.....ahhhh, whatever the hell the name of that sorry excuse for a show is)

And then there's Miguzi.  I'm not quite sure what the target is there (I haven't checked that lineup in months), but it seemed to resemble the old Toonami that I and others in my 'anime generation' were 'brought up' on more than the current Toonami.

IBB:
You probably need to look at it more closely. Seriously
I have to disagree with you 1000%, IMO it looks more a lighter version of the "new" Toonami. I have tapes of some of the old toonami shows complete with ads, etc. Looking back and studying them today. Miguzi looks nothing like the  original, authentic, real,"old" Toonami.  IMO Miguzi originally was supposed to be a sort of Anti-toonami format for CN (to combat Nick, (with no anime, just Totally Spies, Code Lyoko and the New Ninja Turtles ) but in recent years the anime has seeped back in with Naruto (vomit) and YGOGX (double vomit!) )the Anime may have returned but it's nothing like the old toonami.

Ah, Toonami Midnight Run... those were the days...
Oh yeah!

Last edited by conner (04-09-2007 05:56:52 PM)

#22 | Back to Top04-09-2007 07:04:52 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

conner wrote:

IBB:
You probably need to look at it more closely. Seriously
I have to disagree with you 1000%, IMO it looks more a lighter version of the "new" Toonami. I have tapes of some of the old toonami shows complete with ads, etc. Looking back and studying them today. Miguzi looks nothing like the  original, authentic, real,"old" Toonami.  IMO Miguzi originally was supposed to be a sort of Anti-toonami format for CN (to combat Nick, (with no anime, just Totally Spies, Code Lyoko and the New Ninja Turtles ) but in recent years the anime has seeped back in with Naruto (vomit) and YGOGX (double vomit!) )the Anime may have returned but it's nothing like the old toonami.

This would explain why I haven't paid the least bit of attention to it recently.  That, and it airs while I am at work. emot-wink  (Also, I wasn't defending Miguzi per se, but just noting the impression that I got of it.)

As to old-school Toonami... I'm watching Tenchi Muyo (the original OVA) again.  It's a classic.  Hard to believe that it's about 15 years old!

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-09-2007 07:07:20 PM)

#23 | Back to Top04-16-2007 02:37:59 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Something like Naruto is going to sell, well.  Those sorts of shows sell well.  For the same reason Dragon Ball Z could keep going forever.  For the same reason Days of Our Lives is going to outrun Boston Legal and more people in the States will see Family Guy than would see Utena even if it aired daily for half a year.  As television is primarily a commercial medium, these are the sort of things that have to be attended to.  There's no getting around it, aside from when somebody airs a loss-leader because they can get some hype or prestige out of it.

What I would like, is to pretend once in awhile, that people as a whole or in general, are smart enough to know what they're being sold hard is never the whole array of what's available.  I'd like to pretend people rent movies that didn't get theatrical releases, or listen to music that hasn't hit the top of any chart you'll see quoted in a glossy or run across the backpages of a newspaper.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#24 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:49:35 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Something like Naruto is going to sell, well.  Those sorts of shows sell well.  For the same reason Dragon Ball Z could keep going forever.  For the same reason Days of Our Lives is going to outrun Boston Legal and more people in the States will see Family Guy than would see Utena even if it aired daily for half a year.  As television is primarily a commercial medium, these are the sort of things that have to be attended to.  There's no getting around it, aside from when somebody airs a loss-leader because they can get some hype or prestige out of it.

What I would like, is to pretend once in awhile, that people as a whole or in general, are smart enough to know what they're being sold hard is never the whole array of what's available.  I'd like to pretend people rent movies that didn't get theatrical releases, or listen to music that hasn't hit the top of any chart you'll see quoted in a glossy or run across the backpages of a newspaper.

Aw, don't be so negative about it. For the most case, people don't get info of new great stuff other than what the news tell them. Can't blame them for that.

#25 | Back to Top04-16-2007 03:53:34 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Hiraku wrote:

Aw, don't be so negative about it. For the most case, people don't get info of new great stuff other than what the news tell them. Can't blame them for that.[/color]

No, see, that's optimism.  Because despite evidence I believe it's true.  Make myself believe it's true.  Everyone's got at least two things in their rotation-o-entertainment that isn't hypermarketed to death in their direction.  Whether that's a Sonny Chiba flick or a Barry Manilow album or the recent Canadian English-translation of the Tale of Genji is  a whole other kettle, but still, two fish minimum.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer