This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-17-2007 10:58:41 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Recommend SKU-like Anime

This is sort of a two part question I guess.

First of all, I'm wondering if anyone has any Anime they'd suggest to someone who adores SKU. I know like... almost nothing about Anime, I just stumbled on SKU by accident almost, and thought it was laughably bad until I realized it was actually shockingly good. The only other Anime I really have heard of/know about is Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Second... I hesitate to ask this kind of - don't answer if it's against the rules or against your own better judgement - is there anywhere you guys know of where I can sample/get a feel for any suggested anime?  I'm not aiming to freeload copies from the net really... it's just that I don't really have the money to toss at dvd sets of shows that I "might" like, or might not. It doesn't even have to be copies of an episode or anything like that really, just a way for me to get a decent feel for the show before deciding if I want to buy it or not. I hope you guys know what I mean, I'm really not just out to try and get illegal copies of stuff. I graduated college the other year, so at present borrowing stuff from friends isn't something that I could do.

#2 | Back to Top04-17-2007 11:11:14 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Recommend SKU-like Anime

For someone who likes SKU, I would recommend serial experiments lain (more cerebral and thought provoking), The Vision of Escaflowne (involving storyline, not much to analyze but strong emotional appeal and mechs that swordfight WOOHOO emot-dance), Perfect Blue (psychological thriller type), Haibane Renmei (strong sense of mystery throughout, emotional appeal), or Millennium Actress (pure awesome in video form).

At least, those are the ones I like.

As for previews, check for a local anime club at nearby universities, rental stores that carry anime, or if you're really hard up, you can try youtube for snippets of episodes.

Edit: for opening clips.

Last edited by Yasha (04-17-2007 11:14:41 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top04-17-2007 11:56:32 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Neat - thanks a lot Yasha, I'll check those out.

#4 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:02:00 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

No problem. Those are the ones I could think of that had a running theme in common with SKU. I'm not well versed in anime either, so there are probably closer ones out there.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:05:26 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well, if you check out Vision of Escaflowne and like it, I'd say check out Code Geass as well. It's a futuristic big-mecha anime but it's intelligently written and thought-provoking in addition to being absolutely beautiful on a visual level.

Last edited by ShatteredMirror (04-18-2007 12:05:42 AM)

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:07:36 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Also, I'm changing the thread title to be more descriptive. Hope you don't mind!

#7 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:14:08 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

DEFINATELY check out Princess Tutu. It feels a LOT like SKU. It takes a fairy tale type cliche and flips it on its edge and makes it all dark and creepy and symbolic (not AS symbolic but enough) and such. Very nice animation and music as well.

#8 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:21:57 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm not trying to be a topic-nazi, so don't think that, but there's an "If you like SKU" thread a few pages back you might want to check out for recomendations. There are a few anime threads floating around General Discussion too you might want to look at. We're usually a lot more picky about what we like than AnimeSuki.

And it depends on what you like Utena for. Simoun shares a lot of similar elements with SKU but not everyone agrees with me about the quality. Everyone here seems to enjoy Rose of Versailles and Princess Tutu as well. Baka Updates and Animenfo are my favourite sites for series information and anime reviews. I'm not sure about BU, but it's manga counterpart also has a nice feature that allows people to list what animes they've watched and keep track of episodes and find fansites and translations if you're interested in that. And you can always check out bits of anime that looks interesting on youtube or bittorrent, but torrents are usually considered closer to outright piracy. Crunchyroll is basically an anime version of youtube that has a lot of stuff that hasn't been licensed in English yet, and while the video isn't perfect you'll still get an idea of if you like the series or not.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#9 | Back to Top04-18-2007 08:38:33 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Yasha wrote:

For someone who likes SKU, I would recommend serial experiments lain (more cerebral and thought provoking), The Vision of Escaflowne (involving storyline, not much to analyze but strong emotional appeal and mechs that swordfight WOOHOO emot-dance),  Haibane Renmei (strong sense of mystery throughout, emotional appeal)

I can easily second all of these (I haven't seen the others that Yasha listed, yet).  They are all desert island picks imo.  I'll also add:

Boogiepop Phantom - non-linear sci-fi/horror where discerning the plot is left to the viewer as the series progresses.
Paranoia Agent - by Satoshi Kon, who did the 2 movies in Yasha'a post I haven't seen yet.  A great psychological thriller/mystery.
Texhnolyze - by the same creative team as Lain and Haibane Renmei.  A dystopia with absolutely no sugar coating whatsoever.  Makes Evangelion look like Disneyworld.
His and Her Circumstances the first 2/3 of the series are by Hideaki Anno, who did Evangelion.  It's like the last 2 episodes of Evangelion expanded and turned into a romantic comedy/drama.
Gunslinger Girl - Don't let appearances fool you, this is a very emotionally taxing series.
Kannazuki no Miko - Much lighter than SKU (and somewhat silly at times), but the Utena references are obvious. (Girl named Himemiya who has her lunch in a rose garden, anyone? emot-biggrin ) More of a character drama despite the fantasy and mecha elements. Also, the shoujo-ai isn't subtext in this one, it's a major storyline.  And the opening song (Re-Sublimity by KOTOKO) rocks.

And I hate to shamelessly plug my website, but if you visit it through the link under my name to the left, I have spoiler-free reviews (from my POV) of all of these series mentioned in this post, if it helps any.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-18-2007 08:52:43 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#10 | Back to Top04-18-2007 03:17:30 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

I personally recommend Kimagure Orange Road to any SKU fan. 

It's an old-school anime done in the 80s from AnimEgo, so if you're looking for top notch animation you won;t find it here (though any SKu fan that says anything about not watching something for story because of the animation quality deserves to have their SKU fan status stripped).  KOR is a 48 episode sweries that follows the life of a fifteen year old boy name Kyosuke that is an esper (meaning he has psychic powers) as does mnost of his family, but they have to hide it from the normal world.  He moves to a new city and due to a chance encounter meets Madoka and falls in love with her.  But through various freak occurances, he ends up dating her best friend and all sorts of hilkarity ensues because life in general seems to hate Kyosuke. 

Yes, KOR is teenage romance.  Yes, KOR makes you want to pull your hair out at times.  Yet, KOR is also about adolescence and growing up.  KOR has a "slap counter".  KOR is my favorite series of all time and it ties the ending so perfectly to the beginning episode that it makes you rewatch it with a whole new perspective as you start looking for all sorts of subtle things as you move through it.  KOR is has an amazing amount of analytical value, after you've watched the whole thing.  And KOR makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you're done watching it. 

KOR isn't easy to find, unfortunately, and picking it up domestically isn't cheap, but I believe the price has greatly dropped in the last few years.  I highly recommend KOR.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#11 | Back to Top04-18-2007 11:17:00 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Thanks a lot for your suggestions/advice everyone, I really appreciate it and will definitely look into this stuff.

I still want to come up with some super-insightful SKU post/essay, but time is always so tight for me that I never get around to really working on it, and I'm stuck being envious of the awesome stuff some of you all have come up with. I etc-love these forums even if I don't come out and post too much myself, there's so much neat stuff to be found here. Thanks again all.

#12 | Back to Top04-19-2007 02:29:49 AM

Musachan
Saionji Slapper

Waaah, I really wanna see Gunslinger Girl. I definitely third the reccomendation for Princess Tutu! It's really amazing trust me, you just need to get through the first few episodes to get it! It's like an Utena for younger girls, in my opinion. x3
And the art style is very cute. ^o^; And there's NEKO-SENSEI. He's a cat who teaches ballet and threatens lazy pupils with /marriage./ He rocks.
-cough- Okay, so that was sliiiightly off-topic.

Favorite characters: Musashi/Jessie, Kojiro/James, Nyasu/Meowth, Haruka/May, Hikari, Kiryuu Nanami, Tsuwabuki Mitsuru, ChuChu, Rakka, and Reki.

'This time we’re going together! Partners have to be supportive and trusting! Absolutely, unconditionally!' Musashi in Love and The Origin of Youth hoso special.

#13 | Back to Top04-19-2007 03:29:57 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yasha wrote:

The Vision of Escaflowne (involving storyline, not much to analyze but strong emotional appeal and mechs that swordfight WOOHOO emot-dance)

Oh, come now. There is an assload of stuff in Escaflowne to analyze, though it isn't as surreal as Utena.

I can't believe nobody has recommended Ouran High School Host Club yet. It seems to be an Utena-fan staple. Rose of Versailles is a big fat old-skool duh (Utena was directly inspired by it). NANA seems to be a favorite with people who enjoy interpersonal relationships and the drama that ensues--and it's in a good way. CLAMP manga and anime are also a good place to start -- Tokyo Babylon, X, and Cardcaptor Sakura are good places to start there. (In my opinion, their newer stuff is not nearly as good as their older stuff.)

To name a few.

#14 | Back to Top04-20-2007 01:19:48 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Boogiepop Phantom - non-linear sci-fi/horror where discerning the plot is left to the viewer as the series progresses.

And makes absolutely no sense if you haven't read the first novel or seen the live-action film.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#15 | Back to Top04-20-2007 01:56:54 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Lightice wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

And makes absolutely no sense if you haven't read the first novel or seen the live-action film.

I did both of these prior to watching the series, and it still is going to take me a few more viewings to connect all the dots.

Mind you, in my opinion this is a good thing.  I enjoy trying to figure out what is gong on.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#16 | Back to Top04-21-2007 09:02:26 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Mind you, in my opinion this is a good thing.  I enjoy trying to figure out what is gong on.

I do too. I have no idea how many times I've watched BP and I still find something I missed each time. I read the first novels but they only helped clear up smaller details (i.e. the Shinyo Academy event, Spooky Electric, etc.). The main plot of the anime is something you gotta discover on your own. The sound in this anime is genius. I'm not sure whether it's the visuals or the music that send shivers down my spine. The song "Unstable" always makes my head spin for some reason.

Last edited by Rae (04-21-2007 09:02:53 AM)

#17 | Back to Top04-21-2007 02:28:04 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Thank you all for the suggestions and Valeli for posting the topic. :3 I was just thinking the other day how I can basically count the number of anime's I've watched on one hand. Ha ha, I couldn't even make a 'Top 10' list. And I'm quite picky so anything SKUesque or thought provoking is what I'm looking for. As for any suggestions I had, were already suggested by others (Rose of Versailles & possibly Simoun). ^_^

Last edited by Arki (04-21-2007 02:29:11 PM)

#18 | Back to Top04-21-2007 06:30:38 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

I can't believe nobody has recommended Ouran High School Host Club yet.

Thats because its been mentioned before in other threads, it didn't seem to need mentioning again but true enough, there is plenty of SKU like stuff in Ouran Host Club. 

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/theohtoris.jpg

Like these two 'shadow mastermind' Ohtori's for instance.

#19 | Back to Top04-21-2007 09:18:03 PM

SwordKing
Saionji Slapper

I'm surpirsed no one has yet mentioned Rose of Versaile. I believe it's considered to be one of the inspirations for SKU. A young lady raised as a man in France just a few years before the French Revolution becomes Maire Antoinette's bodyguard and confident.

#20 | Back to Top04-23-2007 06:10:35 PM

RainbowRoseQueen
Pained Growlithe

Emiemipoemi wrote:

DEFINATELY check out Princess Tutu. It feels a LOT like SKU. It takes a fairy tale type cliche and flips it on its edge and makes it all dark and creepy and symbolic (not AS symbolic but enough) and such. Very nice animation and music as well.

OMG I LOVE THAT ANIME. ITS SO KAWAII!!!!!!!!!

Well if you want a fairytale like anime, Princess Tutu is for you! (FAKIRXXAHIRU......sorry) If you're looking for swords and/or demons,try Inuyasha(ORIGIONAL IS BEST).  And for Shojo-Ai, try Sailor Moon or My-Hime. And one of my faves is Full Metal Alchemist (dub and origional are great) Also Check out Bleach! They got swords all over! AND NO ITS NOT ABOUT LAUNDRY!

Last edited by RainbowRoseQueen (04-24-2007 08:02:46 PM)

#21 | Back to Top04-24-2007 05:47:58 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

emot-aaa I'ma have to check out some of those titles. A lot of stuff I haven't heard of before! I keep getting recommended stuff like Naruto...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#22 | Back to Top04-24-2007 09:16:50 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

This is likely to set a few people off, but I found FLCL very similar to SKU, at least as far as subject matter goes.  It treats an earlier stage of life, and it comes from the male perspective rather than the female, but it's kind of the same idea, to me anyway.  Obviously, it's much whackier...and much shorter emot-tongue

Last edited by Stormcrow (04-24-2007 10:09:35 PM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#23 | Back to Top04-24-2007 09:52:37 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

This is likely to set a few people off, but I found FLCL very similar to SKU, at least as far as subject matter goes.  It treats an earlier stage of life, and it comes from the male perspective rather than the female, but it's kind of the same idea, to me anyway.  Obviously, it's much whackier...and much shorter:tongue:

Set people off? Here?  Stick around a bit, you'll find that we are quite laid back and open to different ideas. emot-dance

FLCL is so incredibly bizarre.  In the good way.  I've watched it 4 times to date, and I'm still putting it all together.  I've got a better grasp of the theme than the plot, actually. emot-biggrin  Oh those crazy people at Gainax.

Welcome to the SKU madhouse.  Have a flaming poptart! poptart

Don't worry.  You'll get it soon enough. emot-wink

#24 | Back to Top04-24-2007 11:25:13 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yeah, you guys seem pretty cool.  It's just that my anime friends make faces when I mention FLCL.  Mostly because I'm bitching about HOW MUCH IT COSTS!  Anyway, I guess I need to have a look at Princess Tutu and that other one people keep mentioning.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#25 | Back to Top04-25-2007 11:20:25 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

While I haven't seen it, I've heard many people refer to Princes Tutu as the spiritual successor to Utena.  I want to get the show, but I'll probably wait until ADV drops a thinkpak.

Board footer