This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-02-2015 12:34:48 AM

InaOkami
New Student

Re: English Translation of Utena game (Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari)

Thank you so much -every single one of you- for this game. never thought anyone would actually spend time and effort
translating an old game like this and pretty much gave up on playing it. can you imagine my delight at the moment?
I appreciate the massive and respected effort you guys spent on translating the game, I'll be thanking you endlessly while I cuddle
up on my bed and giggle alone playing it.emot-dance

#27 | Back to Top10-02-2015 01:51:49 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

I've updated the first port with version 1.02 (mirrors updated too). 1.01 had several errors related with quotes because it was based on the version inmediately prior to 1.00 before I made the changes to correct these errors, so the .bat file was spamming a lot of warnings in the translation process in 1.01 (some of these are harmless, but other were very important).

1.02 is 1.01 with these errors corrected.
Please, update any links on any site with version 1.02.

Last edited by Endless (10-02-2015 01:54:33 AM)

#28 | Back to Top10-02-2015 02:04:53 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Endless wrote:

I've updated the first port with version 1.02 (mirrors updated too). 1.01 had several errors related with quotes because it was based on the version inmediately prior to 1.00 before I made the changes to correct these errors, so the .bat file was spamming a lot of warnings in the translation process in 1.01 (some of these are harmless, but other were very important).

1.02 is 1.01 with these errors corrected.

Oh no, that was totally my fault. It completely slipped my mind that you'd adjusted that file. Sorry for the trouble, Endless and everyone! emot-gonk

#29 | Back to Top10-02-2015 03:23:09 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

InaOkami wrote:

Thank you so much -every single one of you- for this game. never thought anyone would actually spend time and effort
translating an old game like this and pretty much gave up on playing it. can you imagine my delight at the moment?
I appreciate the massive and respected effort you guys spent on translating the game, I'll be thanking you endlessly while I cuddle
up on my bed and giggle alone playing it.emot-dance

That's a super-sweet mental image, and I'm grinning just thinking about it. Thanks for letting everyone know!

Endless wrote:

Done!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#30 | Back to Top10-02-2015 10:41:21 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Thank you SO MUCH for this guys! etc-love This is my first time emulating anything so I was fiddling around for a while trying to get this working. Was watching a how-to video on youtube when suddenly the opening started playing on the emulator and I lost my shit.

And Akio yelling SEGA. emot-rofl

I can already tell this is going to be awesome. Everyone who worked on this project has my undying respect. etc-love Also thank you Yasha for offering to help me get this working on tumblr. emot-smile

#31 | Back to Top10-02-2015 12:24:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Honey Bear wrote:

Thank you SO MUCH for this guys! etc-love This is my first time emulating anything so I was fiddling around for a while trying to get this working. Was watching a how-to video on youtube when suddenly the opening started playing on the emulator and I lost my shit.

And Akio yelling SEGA. emot-rofl

I can already tell this is going to be awesome. Everyone who worked on this project has my undying respect. etc-love Also thank you Yasha for offering to help me get this working on tumblr. emot-smile

Hey, no big deal, hon. You just let me know if you have problems and we'll do our best to fix them. I've been waiting for ten years for this to happen, and I'm not about to let technical difficulties get in anyone's way!

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#32 | Back to Top10-02-2015 04:27:40 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Just a question, does the translator de-regionize the ISOs?

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#33 | Back to Top10-03-2015 04:01:57 AM

Anthyz
Wakaba Wrangler

Thank you so much for this. I bought the game and the SSJ a decade ago but I couldn't understand a thing and now I can! etc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-jurishlicketc-love

#34 | Back to Top10-03-2015 05:33:55 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

Anthiena wrote:

The translator only change the relevant files in the iso, I have no idea how region protection works in the Saturn, although that is not neccesary for emulators, but I guess if you are asking is because you want to play it on a real Saturn? If so, I have no idea if this would work on a non-japanese Saturn.

#35 | Back to Top10-03-2015 06:51:30 AM

Dallbun

Endless wrote:

Anthiena wrote:

The translator only change the relevant files in the iso, I have no idea how region protection works in the Saturn, although that is not neccesary for emulators, but I guess if you are asking is because you want to play it on a real Saturn? If so, I have no idea if this would work on a non-japanese Saturn.

I'm not sure how Saturn region-coding works, but even if it was an American game, a Saturn won't play burned CDs unless you install a modchip. With a modchip, it should play burned CDs of any region.

The alternative way to play burned/region-locked games without modding is to use the "swap trick," which seems a little fiddly (and potentially damaging to the Saturn).

Guides for both those approaches can be found online with little difficulty.

#36 | Back to Top10-03-2015 02:11:16 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Congratulations, I know a lot of hard work and time has been poured into this project. etc-love

#37 | Back to Top10-03-2015 05:43:38 PM

MiniMagician
New Student

Wow, thank you so much for translating the game! I can't wait to play it emot-dance !

#38 | Back to Top10-03-2015 06:03:57 PM

HelloSailor
New Student

Thanks so much for translating the game! You guys rock!

#39 | Back to Top10-04-2015 01:24:50 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Anime News Network got hold of this, they're planning to do a stream:
https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/650391651471327232

emot-dance

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#40 | Back to Top10-04-2015 10:10:42 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I totally want to do a Let's Play.

#41 | Back to Top10-04-2015 01:26:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Is my beautiful princess of love and beauty Nanami not in this game?

I am currently pursuing Saionji like a dog after a bone. This will end well.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#42 | Back to Top10-04-2015 09:02:27 PM

Dallbun

purplepolecat wrote:

Anime News Network got hold of this, they're planning to do a stream:
https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/650391651471327232

Neat! Any idea when they usually stream?

Yasha wrote:

I totally want to do a Let's Play.

Do it, Yasha! Besides, it's weird that we never actually did a character route on the forum.

YamPuff wrote:

Is my beautiful princess of love and beauty Nanami not in this game?

Oh, she's in there, just not romance-able. Her best moments come if you [invite Touga to dinner after your room is trashed.]

BTW, everyone - again, please let me know if you see translation errors or confusions. I just noticed that the protagonist refers to Utena as "she" in the "do you have a girlfriend" choice, where the POINT is that the protagonist is unclear on her gender. emot-redface I don't want to spam corrections, though, so I'd like to see if anything else comes out of the woodwork before revising again.

#43 | Back to Top10-05-2015 10:37:52 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Fuck. I would totally romance beautiful Nanami

So like why are people always confusing Chigusa for a man? Like wtf man she is as girly looking as they come. And how does she get away with wearing  a shirt opened all the way down to her belly button with no bra on at a school? Even by Ohtori standards this is pushing my suspension of disbelief.

TYPOS: There is a typo when Nanami first appears and Juri is saving you from her, she says 'and good and fencing' instead of 'good at fencing'.
Also, when you're looking for soy sauce and call Touga for some, Anthy says 'Thank you for your trouble'. That sounded weird.
I'll post any typos I run into.

Last edited by YamPuff (10-05-2015 12:37:20 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#44 | Back to Top10-05-2015 01:48:47 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

YamPuff wrote:

Also, when you're looking for soy sauce and call Touga for some, Anthy says 'Thank you for your trouble'. That sounded weird.

It's an old-fashioned formal idiom for "Thanks." Appropriate, though, for Anthy.

#45 | Back to Top10-05-2015 06:41:08 PM

Dallbun

Thanks for pointing out the Nanami/Juri line, Yampuff! Keep 'em coming if you see them.

YamPuff wrote:

So like why are people always confusing Chigusa for a man? Like wtf man she is as girly looking as they come.

I guess people are looking at her height! ...and not her corset.

And how does she get away with wearing  a shirt opened all the way down to her belly button with no bra on at a school? Even by Ohtori standards this is pushing my suspension of disbelief.

All non-standard school outfits must be personally approved by the headmaster. So no problem. emot-tongue

In fact, Akio is thinking of making that the standard high school girl's uniform. The whole game is really just a test-run for that. school-eng101

#46 | Back to Top10-05-2015 07:39:49 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Thanks everyone for the translation.

Once the translation is more polished I think it should be submitted to the more general romhacking/fan-translation sites.

#47 | Back to Top10-05-2015 09:53:09 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey guys, can someone pm me with the breakdown of whose translations were used on what days or whether they were mixed? Ayu wants to know.

#48 | Back to Top10-08-2015 04:26:49 AM

Dallbun

Here, folks - a variety of embarrassing corrections fixed, many contributed by Aerialrave. This time, I actually checked to see whether there are any game-breaking mistakes before I uploaded it, like a responsible person! Hopefully this is the last update we'll need for some time.

TRANSLATION FILE 1.04
http://www.megafileupload.com/qfv0/utena_eng.ini

Directions:
You can just add this to your translator folder, replace the old "utena_eng.ini" file, and run the translation program again to overwrite your old translated rom.

My understanding is that if you've saved in-game, you can then load up the game again and your progress will be retained. This does not apply to "save states," only in-game saves. (Endless, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

#49 | Back to Top10-08-2015 06:32:28 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

Yeah, normal game saves are totally fine to use between different version, and the new translation would apply inmediately (and they can also be exchanged with the japanese version without problems).

Emulator save states are potentially problematic, although in cases like these, the most likely scenario is that the new translation won't be applied until the game loads the next script file. But technically, the possibility of bigger problems such as errors loading files exists, although this would need certain coincidences to happen, like the new translation causing some file to need one more sector (or less) and displacing other files, and the game having previously cached the position of those displaced files, unlikely to happen but not impossible, it happened to me while I was doing some images.

EDIT: all the translator links in the OP post have been updated to new version.

Last edited by Endless (10-08-2015 02:10:31 PM)

#50 | Back to Top10-09-2015 02:03:58 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

FYI: When talking to Wakaba in class on the 23rd, when you're prompted to choose names, Saionji is misspelled as "Saijonji."

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

Board footer