This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-09-2015 12:01:19 PM

Endless
ISOlationist

Re: English Translation of Utena game (Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari)

Saijonji... that sounds like it was a fault of mine, it's a recurrent mistake I make.

#52 | Back to Top10-09-2015 07:50:20 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Endless wrote:

Saijonji... that sounds like it was a fault of mine, it's a recurrent mistake I make.

Whoops, yeah. I remember noticing one and fixing it a while ago, but I didn't think to do a search for other instances of it. I've done so now; there were like three more Saijonjis in the script.

I'll still wait a little bit before putting forth a 1.05, to see if anything else turns up. Mostly I don't want to spam tumblr too much.

Last edited by Dallbun (10-09-2015 07:50:49 PM)

#53 | Back to Top10-09-2015 11:55:41 PM

azuremarill
New Student

AAAAHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! etc-love etc-love etc-love
I've played thru Juri's route and got a bad ending LOL but I'm going to play like ever route possible I'M SO HAPPY THIS IS TRANSLATED!!!!

#54 | Back to Top10-10-2015 04:47:51 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Dallbun wrote:

Endless wrote:

Whoops, yeah. I remember noticing one and fixing it a while ago, but I didn't think to do a search for other instances of it. I've done so now; there were like three more Saijonjis in the script.

I'll still wait a little bit before putting forth a 1.05, to see if anything else turns up. Mostly I don't want to spam tumblr too much.

Another typo I noticed: on the 24th, if you invite Touga to dinner, [ Nanami] says "dissapoint" instead of "disappoint."

Still having a blast playing. I'm near the end of my first playthrough, on track to get the Perfect ending.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#55 | Back to Top10-10-2015 12:03:17 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I lost on my first playthrough because I'm a slut for the Student Council and was five-timing them all. Invite Miki for dinner! Meet Saionji in town! Sleep with Touga! Sleep with Utena! Play video games with Juri! emot-biggrin emot-biggrin emot-biggrin

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#56 | Back to Top10-10-2015 06:19:47 PM

Dallbun

Glad everyone is enjoying the game!

For those of who who lost your first playthrough, remember that [you need Utena's points to be high to get ANY character ending]. They don't make that very clear in-game.

#57 | Back to Top10-11-2015 03:54:51 AM

Zander1995
Wakaba Wrangler

Great translation! I played through it in pretty much one sitting. (Ironically, it's set exactly where I stopped watching the anime, so it's a great reason to jump back in!)

I do have one question though. Is it possible to extract the assets of the game like sprites and backgrounds and the like? I was actually thinking of taking the sprites and remaking them in a higher resolution using Gimp or Photoshop.

#58 | Back to Top10-11-2015 05:40:19 AM

Endless
ISOlationist

Zander1995 wrote:

Great translation! I played through it in pretty much one sitting. (Ironically, it's set exactly where I stopped watching the anime, so it's a great reason to jump back in!)

I do have one question though. Is it possible to extract the assets of the game like sprites and backgrounds and the like? I was actually thinking of taking the sprites and remaking them in a higher resolution using Gimp or Photoshop.

You can use the translator program to extract all image resources.
From command line, run the following command: (or copy paste to a .bat file and run):

Code:

utena extract_all_images Utena_Sega1.iso utena_images

That will create the folder "utena_images" and all images of the game will be placed there. (there aren't different images in the disc2, so don't bother running the command for the second disc)

#59 | Back to Top10-11-2015 06:48:11 AM

Zander1995
Wakaba Wrangler

Endless wrote:

You can use the translator program to extract all image resources.
From command line, run the following command: (or copy paste to a .bat file and run):
-----
That will create the folder "utena_images" and all images of the game will be placed there. (there aren't different images in the disc2, so don't bother running the command for the second disc)

Thanks a lot!

#60 | Back to Top10-14-2015 07:40:07 PM

Dallbun

More corrections of dumb mistakes, and a few touch-ups here and there. I HOPE there are no more of the former, but we'll see. :|

TRANSLATION FILE 1.05
http://www.megafileupload.com/5jdg/utena_eng.ini

Directions:
You can just add this to your translator folder, replace the old "utena_eng.ini" file, and run the translation program again to overwrite your old translated rom. If you've saved in-game, you can then load up the game again and your progress will be retained. This does not apply to "save states," only in-game saves.

#61 | Back to Top10-15-2015 04:28:57 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Another error I found, not sure if it's been pointed out yet:

Juri route after Nanami's accustaion about Protag-chan's parents:
'I still can't but feel anxious'

In other news, I failed my second route. XD

BUT. I bumped into Mikage. It made me day.

So if I fail at playing the game really hard and have no one to turn to, do I get to chat more with Mikage and/or go on an elevator ride with him? Because that would make my life complete. Even more than sleeping with Touga believe it or not. emot-tongue

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#62 | Back to Top10-15-2015 05:36:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"I can't but feel anxious" is grammatical, if a little archaic-sounding to my (American) ears.  It means simply "can't help but."  From Othello, for example:

Shakespeare wrote:

BRABANTIO: . . . The Duke himself,
Or any of my brothers of the state,
Cannot but feel this wrong as ’twere their own.

("This wrong," for the record, is that Othello totally made out with Brabantio's daughter even though Othello isn't even white, zomg)

That said, it does sound funny in Nanami's mouth, unless she's being even more stuck-up than usual.

#63 | Back to Top10-15-2015 06:27:36 PM

Dallbun

Thanks, YamPuff! No, that one had slipped by so far.

YamPuff wrote:

So if I fail at playing the game really hard and have no one to turn to, do I get to chat more with Mikage and/or go on an elevator ride with him?

[Correct. The path before you has been prepared.]

#64 | Back to Top10-16-2015 06:03:19 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Dallbun wrote:

Thanks, YamPuff! No, that one had slipped by so far.

YamPuff wrote:

So if I fail at playing the game really hard and have no one to turn to, do I get to chat more with Mikage and/or go on an elevator ride with him?

[Correct. The path before you has been prepared.]

Alrighty. emot-biggrin

OMG [OMG OMG TIME TO FAIL REALLY HARD AT PLAYING]

#65 | Back to Top10-19-2015 03:31:21 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Dallbun wrote:

More corrections of dumb mistakes, and a few touch-ups here and there. I HOPE there are no more of the former, but we'll see. :|

TRANSLATION FILE 1.05
http://www.megafileupload.com/5jdg/utena_eng.ini

Directions:
You can just add this to your translator folder, replace the old "utena_eng.ini" file, and run the translation program again to overwrite your old translated rom. If you've saved in-game, you can then load up the game again and your progress will be retained. This does not apply to "save states," only in-game saves.

Many apologies, but I don't have time to update the tumblr post at the moment. I will do it the very minute I have the time to spare.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#66 | Back to Top10-19-2015 06:27:01 AM

Dallbun

Yasha wrote:

Many apologies, but I don't have time to update the tumblr post at the moment. I will do it the very minute I have the time to spare.

Oh, no worries. Since it hasn't spammed tumblr again yet anyway, maybe I should just add Yampuff's and make it a very minor 1.06? I've never done something like this before, not sure how fiddly I should get.

#67 | Back to Top10-19-2015 06:42:46 PM

stardragonfly
New Student

Hello. I'm kind of new to this forum but I've always wanted to play that Utena Sega game! I'm so happy that someone has translated. Thank you so much!! I have one problem though. I can't seem to get the iso for the game with the link.

#68 | Back to Top10-19-2015 06:55:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah, we recently had some technical issues with the ISOs, by which I mean that so many people were downloading them that the whole site crashed. emot-biggrin  We are seeking new hosting for them, and we'll update the links as soon as we can.

#69 | Back to Top10-21-2015 02:15:35 PM

pe4ik
Wakaba Wrangler

WOW!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you veryyy much! I have been waiting for this all my life! etc-love
Interesting: the game will run on a real hardware?

#70 | Back to Top10-21-2015 08:14:14 PM

Dallbun

pe4ik wrote:

WOW!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you veryyy much! I have been waiting for this all my life! etc-love

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it!

Interesting: the game will run on a real hardware?

Sort of. You normally can't play burned (or imported) games on a Sega Saturn. If you want to, your options are:

- use a "game enhancer" like a Game Shark or Action replay

- install a modchip

- utilize the "swap trick," which is apparently damaging to your system in the long run. (I'm also not sure whether it will let you switch between disc 1 and disc 2 in this game)

Or, of course, you can play the game on the Sega Saturn Emulator, SSF.

#71 | Back to Top10-22-2015 01:36:55 AM

pe4ik
Wakaba Wrangler

Dallbun wrote:

Sort of. You normally can't play burned (or imported) games on a Sega Saturn. If you want to, your options are:

- use a "game enhancer" like a Game Shark or Action replay

- install a modchip

- utilize the "swap trick," which is apparently damaging to your system in the long run. (I'm also not sure whether it will let you switch between disc 1 and disc 2 in this game)

Or, of course, you can play the game on the Sega Saturn Emulator, SSF.

Thanks! I have a modchip and NTSC-J Saturn emot-keke Tomorrow I will try to launch burned Eng Utena on it.

#72 | Back to Top10-22-2015 02:37:24 AM

Dallbun

pe4ik wrote:

Thanks! I have a modchip and NTSC-J Saturn emot-keke Tomorrow I will try to launch burned Eng Utena on it.

Awesome, let us know how it goes. Remember that you either have to set your character name before you patch the file, or you'll have to use only three characters each for for first and last names, using the in-game name input screen.

#73 | Back to Top10-22-2015 07:03:26 AM

pe4ik
Wakaba Wrangler

Okay. Game works like a charm on a real hardware! I'm so happy! emot-rofl

https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/15594/34248343.0/0_107459_e907b98a_XL.jpg
Both disks work perfectly! Confirmed: Sega Saturn, Model: HST-3200, NTSC-J with a Modchip (unknown model)

Ahh, i can't believe that the translation is finally released! Great thanks from bottom of my heart to all translators team! For many years, i am fan of SKU Universe, and this translation will be another diamond in my collection! etc-love

#74 | Back to Top10-22-2015 03:56:41 PM

Nemi
New Student

satyreyes wrote:

Yeah, we recently had some technical issues with the ISOs, by which I mean that so many people were downloading them that the whole site crashed. emot-biggrin  We are seeking new hosting for them, and we'll update the links as soon as we can.

Will you let us know when the ISOs are back up and available for downloading, then, please? emot-keke

#75 | Back to Top10-22-2015 05:00:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'll pass along information as soon as I get it. emot-smile  I suspect you'll have to wait a bit, though -- I happen to know that Gio and Yasha are on vacation and sick, so getting the ISOs back up is not their top priority.  Naturally, if anyone who has the ISOs can find hosting for them, we'll update this thread with that information too. emot-smile

Board footer