This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top02-28-2008 04:28:44 PM

dabouse1
Touga Topper

Re: Let's talk about the musical

jayskittles wrote:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiHlGLzG95A

I present to you, humbly, Miki's hypno butt.

Is it underining that this reminds me more of Power Rangers than anything else? Especially the ending part...

#52 | Back to Top02-28-2008 08:30:20 PM

jayskittles
Saionji Slapper

It's incredibly Power Rangers. It's even color coded.

who wrinkled my randy travis poster
pissed in the seat
and stole my keys

#53 | Back to Top04-18-2008 11:21:14 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I would propose tacking excerpts from this onto the viewing schedule at RoseCon, y'know, FOR TEH LULZ, but I'm afraid I'll get out-voted.  Or smacked upside the head.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#54 | Back to Top04-25-2008 01:53:38 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Have you seen this fan musical? :O http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0VWUeSJClQ

Yes, I need to come back to that.
The musical actually is one of my best friends works. I know that sounds really troll-ish, I know. Can't help it.
It was performed couple of times on german conventions.
Have some background info: The girl who played Toga, my mentioned friends, is in a relationship with the girl who played Wakaba and she is also the older sister of the girl who played Akio, who in turn, is in a long term relationship with the girl who played Utena. I think that was too awesome not to be mentioned.

And about the real Utena musical, the woman who played Juri is Kimura Sanae, who was the first person to perform as Tenoh Haruka/Sailor Uranus in the Sailor Moon musicals. Toga is performed by Saito Rei, who was Setsuna Meioh in the SM musicals. I love them both, but it's so odd to watch and compare.

#55 | Back to Top04-25-2008 02:11:21 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Guess I wasn't the only one who thought about that when I saw Miki emot-biggrin

BTW, according to wikipedia, I read that there are two other musicals of Utena. Anyone familiar with those? I've heard the second one has Anthy holding a machine gun, but I'm not sure.

#56 | Back to Top12-10-2008 02:02:52 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

Ok, so I randomly stumbled upon this on Youtube the other day, and like the other posters in the thread I couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry, but then settled for laughing -- this is just sooo cheesy. emot-smile But like others said, they actually do capture the personality of most characters quite well...

I can't condone changing the story to make Juri like Touga though -- she'd _never_ fall for that guy!!

If someone still has the file it would be really cool if you could re-upload it, I'd quite like to see it all in one sitting rather than cut up into a zillion youtube clips with some pieces missing.

/Pfft

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#57 | Back to Top12-12-2008 11:49:08 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Whitout having seen it yet, allow me to say:

The story simply looses a large chunk of it's enjoyment factor if everybody is a girl!

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#58 | Back to Top12-12-2008 04:04:53 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

lol... well, in the _story_, there are girls and boys, they're just acted by women. Much like Miki's voice actor is female... hrm, I guess I'm grasping at straws here. emot-biggrin

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#59 | Back to Top12-15-2008 02:31:15 PM

DeepSubmerge
Saionji Slapper

P.D.M. wrote:

The story simply looses a large chunk of it's enjoyment factor if everybody is a girl!

Am I the only one thinking that the enjoyment factor only rises by a gazillion points when every guy is played by a girl?

#60 | Back to Top12-15-2008 11:06:47 PM

IceQueenChigusa
Tenjou Tilter

DeepSubmerge wrote:

P.D.M. wrote:

Am I the only one thinking that the enjoyment factor only rises by a gazillion points when every guy is played by a girl?

I agree with you!!

#61 | Back to Top12-15-2008 11:13:18 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

IceQueenChigusa wrote:

DeepSubmerge wrote:

P.D.M. wrote:

I agree with you!!

Same here! I'm a Takarazuka fan after all.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#62 | Back to Top12-16-2008 02:33:27 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

SeiSei, you seem to be a fan, but I've never understood this. Is it a style of play? Or a giant series of groups? Or what? I never really got that, but I do enjoy it alot.

Pfft wrote:

I can't condone changing the story to make Juri like Touga though -- she'd _never_ fall for that guy!!

I think its a manga adaptation, Saitos listed like, FIRST in the credits, but I don't have the document with me to check what she was. emot-frown

Last edited by allegoriest (12-16-2008 02:38:13 AM)

#63 | Back to Top12-16-2008 01:58:14 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

allegoriest wrote:

SeiSei, you seem to be a fan, but I've never understood this. Is it a style of play? Or a giant series of groups? Or what? I never really got that, but I do enjoy it alot.

The Takarazuka Musical Revue is a specific performance company based out of Takarazuka, a city in Hyogo Prefecture (It was originally founded by the Hangkyu company when they built a train line leading to the town, as a way of drumming up more tourist traffic), though they also tour and maintain a theater in Tokyo. These days it's a pretty big organization, with 5+ large performance troupes, and a small school (which is extremely hard to get into) devoted specifically to training girls as Takarasiennes. Back in the day, they had a few emulators who tried to compete with them, but I think they pretty much dominate the their genre of musical performance these days. school-eng101

So the Utena musical isn't a Takarazuka performance, merely inspired. It's still very important to be familiar with Takarazuka as a shoujo fan, though, because they were a direct inspiration for the roots of the shoujo genre (and especially the branch that Utena descends from). The "God of Manga" Osamu Tezuka grew up in Takarazuka, and enjoyed the Revue very much: the first "cross-dressing Princess" manga, Princess Knight, was to some extent a homage. Later, of course, shoujo manga fed back into Takarazuka: for instance, their most popular and famous show is still Rose of Versailles, adapted from the manga of the same name.

The sexual politics behind the group are less progressive than they might initially appear, but it's still good stuff if you like high-budget, high-charisma, highly-skilled, all-female musicals and musical revues. And who doesn't? Unfortunately, DVDs cost an arm and a leg (which in US currency is around a hundred dollars) and are not available for purchase outside of Japan. And although they have been known to do international tours, they don't do them very often. emot-frown

#64 | Back to Top12-17-2008 11:29:59 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Dallbun wrote:

[
The Takarazuka Musical Revue is a specific performance company based out of Takarazuka, a city in Hyogo Prefecture (It was originally founded by the Hangkyu company when they built a train line leading to the town, as a way of drumming up more tourist traffic), though they also tour and maintain a theater in Tokyo. These days it's a pretty big organization, with 5+ large performance troupes, and a small school (which is extremely hard to get into) devoted specifically to training girls as Takarasiennes. Back in the day, they had a few emulators who tried to compete with them, but I think they pretty much dominate the their genre of musical performance these days. school-eng101

(

Do you have some websites or such you can recommend for more information on this? I don't know much about this and I'd like to learn more. Please someplace better than Wiki? With pictures?

20 threads dead so far.

#65 | Back to Top12-18-2008 01:27:41 AM

IceQueenChigusa
Tenjou Tilter

hollow_rose wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

[

(

Do you have some websites or such you can recommend for more information on this? I don't know much about this and I'd like to learn more. Please someplace better than Wiki? With pictures?

http://www.takarazuka-revue.info/tiki-index.php

There is also a Live journal community if you have an LJ etc-love
http://community.livejournal.com/takarazuka/

#66 | Back to Top12-18-2008 12:02:15 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Thank you for the sites!emot-keke

20 threads dead so far.

#67 | Back to Top12-29-2008 03:12:06 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Hiraku wrote:

Guess I wasn't the only one who thought about that when I saw Miki emot-biggrin

BTW, according to wikipedia, I read that there are two other musicals of Utena. Anyone familiar with those? I've heard the second one has Anthy holding a machine gun, but I'm not sure.

Here I go, reviving ancient-ness... I can't help feeling like the keeper of the later musicals, though. More research on them forthcoming, BTW.

Yes, the 2nd musical has Anthy + automatic weapon (= awesome). I put together some info about the 2nd musical (and a little about the 3rd) in this thread:

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=832

In a related note, women performing as men in musicals is hawt. I wish I could go see the Gyakuten Saiban Takarazuka show. IGI ARI!!!

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#68 | Back to Top12-31-2008 03:56:51 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

DeepSubmerge wrote:

P.D.M. wrote:

No. No you are not. Awesome username BTW. And on that note...
Anyone see any of the Sailor Moon musicals? I hear those are quite popular, so what happened to the Utena one? I get that SKU isn't as big of a series, but still....

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#69 | Back to Top01-05-2009 09:33:07 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Miss Bluesky wrote:

DeepSubmerge wrote:

P.D.M. wrote:

No. No you are not. Awesome username BTW. And on that note...
Anyone see any of the Sailor Moon musicals? I hear those are quite popular, so what happened to the Utena one? I get that SKU isn't as big of a series, but still....

I know. Even when I meet an Utena fan and I mention the musical they're like "buh?" Right now I keep a digital copy on my laptop just so I can torment friends with it. emot-tongue And have it on hand for its cheesy goodness.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#70 | Back to Top01-13-2009 03:15:53 PM

liarakon
Juri Jeerer
Website

Hello guys emot-keke
I was wondering if somebody could refresh the musical download files?
The message I get when I try to download any of the three parts Mazoboom uploaded to sendspace.com is along the lines of:

'Sorry, the file you requested is not available.
Possible reasons include:

- File date limit has expired.
- File was not successfully uploaded.'

If somebody could reupload it somewhere I would be eternally gratefull! ^o^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Liarakon/coronataprofilewithoutbox.jpg

#71 | Back to Top01-13-2009 05:02:22 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

liarakon wrote:

Hello guys emot-keke
I was wondering if somebody could refresh the musical download files?
The message I get when I try to download any of the three parts Mazoboom uploaded to sendspace.com is along the lines of:

'Sorry, the file you requested is not available.
Possible reasons include:

- File date limit has expired.
- File was not successfully uploaded.'

If somebody could reupload it somewhere I would be eternally gratefull! ^o^

Uploading to Megaupload as we speak. I'll post a link once it's up! emot-smile

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DDZVWXA0

Here ya go. Let me know if anything's wrong with it. Hopefully this is what you were thinking of, as it's all one file.

Last edited by Baka Kakumei Reanna (01-13-2009 08:12:33 PM)

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#72 | Back to Top01-14-2009 12:48:13 PM

liarakon
Juri Jeerer
Website

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DDZVWXA0

Here ya go. Let me know if anything's wrong with it. Hopefully this is what you were thinking of, as it's all one file.

aah thank you so much! ^o^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Liarakon/coronataprofilewithoutbox.jpg

#73 | Back to Top06-27-2014 02:38:30 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

As my second post in here I'm going to revive the dead emot-rofl
I ADORE THE MUSICALS~!!!!!!!emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

And I see in this thread there are even some zuka-ota's !!

As many have said before the all female cast is inspired by the Revue, and it is very common practice in japanese musical theatre in general (especially when they are adapting from anime/manga).
What is not mentioned though is that 3 main characters on the first run (the one available in the DVD box) Utena (Daiki Yuu), Saionji (Katsuragi Nanaho) and Akio/Dios(Gou Mayuka) were former members of the Revue, all Otokoyaku from classes: 70, 73, and 64 respectively.

The first time I saw the musical I was so taken back by the low voices of Saionji and Akio/Dios that it got me into the Revue.

if you have niconico account you can watch this video http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15831085 Gou Mayuka is the second guy that sings, she was a star in her troupe.
Katsuragi has been a voice actress ever since, and she even has given her voice to Setsuka from Soul Calibur game!
Funny fact, I tweeted her a picture of her as Saionji and she replied me like: "EEEEK emot-aaa  this is so nostalgic! where did you find that picture" 
Daiki has played Oscar as well in 1981 while a member of the Revue.

Of course Saito Rei and Kimura Sanae are my most fav Pluto and Uranus in the SM musicals and they played their roles perfectly, Kanna is also incredible amazing voice and she actually looked like Anthy emot-tongue

I basically loved how they did the musical

as for the mentioned lipstic of Akio/Dios
LOL
it is stage makeup guys everyone wears it, if they dont wear makeup the audience can not see their facial expressions.
Akio/Dios makeup cool
and since I'm posting them here a very cool Saionji with Anthy (yes he is a jerk but he is a cool jerk when played by Katsuragi emot-biggrin )

PS: the Robertson book that was recommended earlier is not the best thing to read if you want to learn about the Revue v_v Robertson goes just around some conspiracy theory based on war propaganda, and sexual stuff based on tabloids and ignores completely that it's an art form, therefore sexual orientation of members, stuff or fans has nothing to do with it, not to mention that it is forbidden to talk about the performers personal life...     

As a good informative read about the Revue I would suggest the Stickland's thesisofficially free and downloadable read as well

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

Board footer