This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-12-2007 09:18:48 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Utena Fights the Zombie Menace: SKU Musical 2

I bet you're thinking this is a joke. It's about 10% joke... because it's probably more mummies than zombies. emot-aaa

I feel like before I can go on, I need to address how there were multiple Utena stage shows - 3 in fact. school-eng101 The 1st one (referred to in the soundtrack 5 booklet as Comedie Musicale Utena la fillette révolutionnaire, but actually billed as Musical Shoujo Kakumei Utena) is a train wreck which you can watch on YouTube. The production company that did the 3rd one has a substantial website with pictures. (http://www.fakikaku.com/paststage/2000-9-utena/info.htm) But the 2nd one is a mystery with a very long title:

少女革命ウテナ魔界転生黙示録編~麗人ニルヴァーナ来駕~
Shoujo Kakumei Utena Rebirth from Hell Apocalypse Saga: Advent of the Beauties Nirvana (...or something to that extent. The last part coincides with part of the title of soundtrack 6 - I wish I knew which one came first.)

This production is probably the Utena show we will all wish we could have seen. The production company behind it is called Gesshoku Kagekidan (a.k.a. L'Opera de l'eclipse lunaire) and it's headed by director/writer Takatori Ei - a frequent collaborator of Terayama Shuuji and J. A. Seazer. I translated a little rundown of staff/cast whatnot as an introduction - it comes from the Utena  fansite Gensou Kikou Sekai Souchi (http://www2.cds.ne.jp/~musique/utena/index.html) and purports to be from Gesshoku staff:

"Shoujo Kakumei Utena" Stage Production News

It a stage conversion by the theatrical group "Gesshoku Kagekidan". I am directly posting an email from Gesshoku Kagekidan below.

------------------

Please excuse the sudden message.

Currently we at Gesshoku Kagekidan are presenting "Shoujo Kakumei Utena", produced by Ikuhara Kunihiko. Selfish though it may be, it would be fortuitous if you would post information on your excellent homepage. (If you don't mind...)

Title:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena Makai Tenshou - Mokushiroku Hen: Reijin Nirvana Raiga
(Hell Rebirth - Apocalypse Chapter: Advent of the Beauties Nirvana)

Main Copy:
By your [kimi] blossoming lips, I [boku] will awaken.

Staff:
Producer - Ikuhara Kunihiko (Be-Papas)
Original work - Saitou Chiho & Be-papas
Adaptation writer & Director - Takatori Ei
Music - J. A. Seazer

Main Cast:
Ichinose Megumi - Noguchi Kazuyo - Narumiya Kannon - Asada Mayu - Misato Ruki - Saitou Rei - Others

Samsa Asagaya (Asagaya Laputa Building B1F)

Dates/Times:
5/26 (W) - 5/31 (M)

26th, 27th, 31st     7:30 PM
28th        2:30 PM, 7:30 PM
29th, 30th    2:30 PM, 7:15 PM

Performance Group Homepage:
[A dead link; there are at least 2 dead Gesshoku official sites. This one works: http://freett.com/gessyoku/]

Gesshoku Kagekidan Production Yonezawa Shin'ichi

This post is getting pretty long, but it'd be mean of me to talk about Utena fighting zombies without offering some explanation. The bulk of this play focuses on a sort of alternate Black Rose arc where the boys who died in the fire are raised from dead by (as far as I can gather) a disembodied, malevolent force somehow related to Osiris, the ancient Egyptian god of the underworld.

...this time I'm completely serious. And there's more to come! I've been a translating fiend lately! emot-dance

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#2 | Back to Top07-12-2007 09:46:40 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Utena Fights the Zombie Menace: SKU Musical 2

I think about the only thing that could possibly make this better (cue crossover drumroll...) is if the Imperial Flower Combat Troupe performed it!

And Kohran could be Anthy... since Yuriko Fuchizaki voices them both. emot-biggrin

But seriously... Utena fighting zombies?  That's awesome!  I see Castlevania crossover potential there too...

emot-rofl

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top07-12-2007 11:45:28 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Utena + zombies = win.

That is all.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top07-13-2007 12:07:32 AM

Raroy
Saionji Slapper

The zombies obviously symbolizes corrupted eternity.  I would watch it just for the sake of watching it.

#5 | Back to Top07-13-2007 12:13:44 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I wasn't aware that zombies could be symbolic. Have a poptart Raroy.

#6 | Back to Top07-13-2007 12:34:34 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"...That's what will happen!  I call it Operation: Himemiya Anthy is a weirdo who keeps snails in her pencil box!  Oh, Himemiya?  Could I borrow your pencil box for a second?"
"BRAAAAAINS."
"Himemiya, what are you... ACK!  NO!!!  DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!  ONII-SAMA!  ONII-SAMA!!!!!"
"Aw, that's such an Anthy thing to do!  She's so adorable!"

#7 | Back to Top07-13-2007 12:43:47 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I see Castlevania crossover potential there too...

PIANO STRING TENSE SEXUAL REPRESSION SAIONJI/ALUCARD etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

:cough: I actually recall reading an interview where Ikuhara said he wasn't pleased with the first one and would attempt more, but then I never heard more about it. I would kill to see this. emot-aaa

Although it might just be a recap of episode 29. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top07-13-2007 12:47:22 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

satyreyes wrote:

"...That's what will happen!  I call it Operation: Himemiya Anthy is a weirdo who keeps snails in her pencil box!  Oh, Himemiya?  Could I borrow your pencil box for a second?"
"BRAAAAAINS."
"Himemiya, what are you... ACK!  NO!!!  DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!  ONII-SAMA!  ONII-SAMA!!!!!"

I want to have your babies now.

#9 | Back to Top07-13-2007 10:04:45 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

satyreyes wrote:

"BRAAAAAINS."

emot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-rofl

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#10 | Back to Top07-13-2007 02:02:25 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm really curious about Seazer's name here. Is there new duel choruses maybe???????????? emot-aaa

Maybe they're using the ones on OST7?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top07-13-2007 02:34:28 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Utena fighting the zombies of the 100 duellists that died in Mikage's poptart fire?

Why the FUCK wasn't this in the anime? That would've RULED.

#12 | Back to Top07-13-2007 07:13:43 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I'm really curious about Seazer's name here. Is there new duel choruses maybe???????????? emot-aaa

Maybe they're using the ones on OST7?

If they're using the ones on OST 7, then they just HAVE TO USE Death by Oceanic Moon Indigo. I swear I have serious EARgasms everytime I hear that song on my iTune

Hm... why wouldn't they have the zombie duelists on the anime? I think the zombie duelists have fought Utena indirectly from using the flesh of actual living people as hosts. But then Mikage ran out of hosts, so he fought as the remaining dead duelists. Didn't he call for the dead duelists to come to him before he starts to duel?

Last edited by Hiraku (07-13-2007 07:16:07 PM)

#13 | Back to Top07-13-2007 07:29:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Hiraku wrote:

Hm... why wouldn't they have the zombie duelists on the anime? I think the zombie duelists have fought Utena indirectly from using the flesh of actual living people as hosts. But then Mikage ran out of hosts, so he fought as the remaining dead duelists. Didn't he call for the dead duelists to come to him before he starts to duel?

[/color]

Well, clearly either Akio or Mikage is a necromancer....or a voodoo priest. school-eng101

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#14 | Back to Top07-13-2007 07:29:58 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

This has potential.

Of what kind, I'm terrified to find out.  But there is potential none the less...

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#15 | Back to Top07-13-2007 09:22:28 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

I see Castlevania crossover potential there too...

PIANO STRING TENSE SEXUAL REPRESSION SAIONJI/ALUCARD etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

But we'd never see Akio or Dracula, as they'd be insesently banging up in that inverted castle. school-devil

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#16 | Back to Top07-13-2007 10:32:24 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Well, clearly either Akio or Mikage is a necromancer....or a voodoo priest. school-eng101

The ends of the world, I will show, to you...
...mon.

#17 | Back to Top07-14-2007 06:13:39 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Akio could have purple dreads very easily.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top07-14-2007 10:56:03 AM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Hiraku wrote:

But then Mikage ran out of hosts, so he fought as the remaining dead duelists. Didn't he call for the dead duelists to come to him before he starts to duel?

End o' Mikage's confession: "Rose blooming at the end of the world, to me!" By Japanese grammar rules there's no reason it couldn't be multiple roses, supposing that the roses represent the dead boys... Now I'm imagining him getting stabbed by the less-than-100 Black Roses of the Undead. emot-wink

I'd really like to know more about the music in the show, but nothing I've translated so far gives it more than passing mention. Seazer seems to collaborate with this director frequently, but it looks like the director usually writes the lyrics. If there were high res scans of the OST7 booklet I could see if there was any relation... (puppy-dog eyes)

I have plenty of other material to share, though! Next, I have translated a series of articles from a fan who saw the show that goes by the pseudonym of "hir" - his (?) site is here. http://www.imasy.org/~hir/hir/index.html. He's pretty thorough about describing his theater-going experience, and the fact that he goes in not knowing anything about Gesshoku Kagekidan gives us insight into what makes them different than your usual anime-adaptation musical company (Sailor Moon musicals for example - hir has been to those). He also talks a lot about his day. emot-tongue

Gesshoku Kagekidan 33rd Production

Shoujo Kakumei Utena Makai Tenshou @ Mokushiroku Hen
Rejin Nirvana Raiga

05/29/99 Asagaya - Samsa Asagaya

------

Part 1: Theater-going Entry

This is basically an extended diary entry.

"Ura" Nippon Industry News!! is one of the web diaries I check habitually. It lists news items related to a industrial newspaper reporter's work and interests in a jumble. It's timeliness and breadth (on sub-culture stuff, anyway) could only come from a newspaper reporter, and I haven't seen anything comparable to it.

That's where I found out that that the Gesshoku Kagekidan theatrical group was working on Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Director Ikuhara would be producing, and that increased my hopes that it would be more faithful than the previous Utemyu*.

*When an anime is turned into a musical fans tend to abbreviate the musical as "xxxxmyu".

------

Note: From late 97 until early the next year, an Utena musical was performed at the Ginza Hakuhinkan Theater. The cast had Kimura Sanae (Uranus [Juri in the 1st Utemyu]), Saitou Rei (Touga) and others come over from Seramyu [Sailor Moon Musicals], and that link was considered an issue among some people. The director was Mitsuya Yuuji so there were concerns about the quality, and it seems rushed as far as the special [musical] arrangements are concerned. Covers the Student Council arc.

------

Here's how the day went.

The meeting place this time is Samsa Asagaya in the Asagaya Laputa building. Gesshoku Kagekidan even performed this theater's inaugural show. I saw good assessments of the place all over the internet which increased my expectations.

Around noon I meet with my usual cohorts (A and T) at the station. The show starts at 2:00, doors and ticket sales are 50 min prior. When we get in line about 20 minutes before that there is already a line of about 50 people. The line for the so called friends of the theater is largest, the line for people who bought tickets through Pia and Saison is 3rd largest, other methods (direct phone or email reservations and other means of ticket purchase) is 5th, and same day purchase is 2nd - that was the breakdown.

The building is quite modern in style, as if it had been built recently. There is an art film movie theater on the 2nd floor (next feature: Twenty-Four Eyes [1954 Japanese film]), the 3rd floor is restaurants. The 1st floor lobby has retail shops. The theater that we are concerned with is in the basement. It is managed by ComicBox. I hear that Gesshoku Kagekidan did the theater's first show.

I look over the other patrons. Whenever I scope the crowd that's taking in a musical there ends up being a lot of women. Incidentally, Pink House [clothing brand] stands out. Oh, so that's how it is...

I reserved via direct email to [Gesshoku Kagekidan's] official site this time, and for someone who has difficulty getting to the ticket windows this sort of service is very welcome. After all, you can send off email real quick in a free moment at work.

Commence Ticket Purchase. Assigned tickets are handed out according to the order of the line. When we enter the theater we will be arranged based on ticket number. We are the 3 spots starting from 33. We consider eating lunch in front of the station, but cheap-o Lotteria has a lot of people out with flyers in hand. We avoid them with some effort. Mindful of the time, we eat at a nearby teishokuya and head back. The yakiniku is tough and hard to eat.

Now it's time to take our seats. People mill about in line. It looks to be 200 people. Can we all get in there? We get plastic bags and are told to put our shoes in them. What kind of show is this where you can't have your shoes on? There is a miscalculation - the bag is too small I can't fit my shoes in it.

The theater proper. Unlike the fancy exterior, it gives the impression that it's been standing for 15 years. Simple wooden benches in stepped tiers stretching to the ceiling. Did the building just get an exterior remodel? Two rows of zabuton are lined up on the benches that I originally thought were one row. Clearly, the place is over capacity. Even the zabuton themselves are miniscule 30 cm squares. The patrons hesitate and bunch up one after the other.

The is a door center stage, and inside it a cast member whom I suspect plays Dios is quietly seated, holding a globe.  Coupled with a BGM made up of faint sounds it produces a strange atmosphere. Occasionally she holds the globe up with both hands and dances calmly. Stranger and stranger.

Get too close to the top [back?] and the view is obscured by the ceiling pillars and the rear seats. Nevertheless,  standing around in the areas where there aren't zabuton is no good either. Sitting in the central area in a moment of confusion with get you a "the cast will be passing this way, so you can't sit here," from the theater staff. When we look, we see the foremost row is empty. We hesitate for a moment but   there aren't any other open seats. There's no other choice.

The three of us take our seats.

We're right up front!

It can be more than a 3 meter distance to the middle of the stage. We could reach out and touch the stage. Is it really okay for us to be this close? It's revolutionary. There are spots of wax and floor mats left about on the floor in great numbers. I heard that there would be dancing while holding candles, now that I think about it.

For some reason there is a large plastic sheet on the stage. The staff came out to spread it.

"Blood will fly during the performance. Please use this to protect yourselves."

So that's it... the 3 of us are dumbfounded before it sinks in.

At last the theater darkens. Truth (old ending) and Rinbu Revolution (old[?] opening) play, and the curtain goes up.

emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa That much blood???

...moving on, I have gone so far as to look up every reference in this article that I didn't know. emot-dance

Pia - http://www.pia.co.jp/ (entertainment and ticketing website)
ComicBox - http://www.comicbox.co.jp/ (publishes a magazine about anime and manga; runs theaters in Laputa building)
Laputa Building - http://www.laputa-jp.com/ (where the theater is, looks pretty cool)
Twenty-Four Eyes - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047281/ (movie about wartime and postwar Japan)
Pink House - http://www.gedix.co.jp/pinkhouse/collection.html (sort of lolita fashion of the masses)
Lotteria - http://lotteria.jp/index.html (Fast food chain - ja.wikipedia says there are over 500 stores in Japan)

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#19 | Back to Top07-14-2007 02:31:56 PM

atolm
Miki Molester
Website

Anthy... with a machine gun.

I think you'd better provide these people with your translation of the plot synopsis, posthaste!

#20 | Back to Top07-14-2007 02:44:17 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

atolm wrote:

You're kidding, right? emot-confused

If not, this just keeps getting better and better. emot-dance

#21 | Back to Top07-14-2007 05:00:36 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

atolm wrote:

I think you'd better provide these people with your translation of the plot synopsis, posthaste!

Hey! You're reading ahead! You must be pretty good. emot-biggrin

I have the synopsis done, but it's at home (it went really quick too). I'll have it up as soon as possible.

Last edited by Shiva Indis (07-14-2007 05:11:40 PM)

#22 | Back to Top07-14-2007 05:05:45 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Well this just got one hundred times more awesome. emot-aaa

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#23 | Back to Top07-15-2007 11:12:01 AM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Here we go!

Part 2: Summary (Lite)

I call it a summary, but couldn't write every line of dialog one by one, so I'm forced to do it in this form. Still this play is heavy on content, and just following the narrative thread was a challenge. I'd like to introduce some of the dialog that makes up the core of the story, but I don't have the time so I'll pass. An in-depth summary of the TV series is written here [dead link; I think we can manage] which may be helpful in refreshing your memory.

The basic themes of the anime story are maintained as is, but are completely re-arranged. It does a good job of summing up 39 episodes-worth of content in the space of 2 hours.

A girl loses her parents in a traffic accident, and is filled with despair toward the world. A certain young man shows her eternity. Seeing the 'eternally suffering witch' there, she decides to become the prince that must save her...

And so Utena enters Ohtori Academy, and once she duels Saionji, due to the need to conserve time the play suddenly jumps to a duel with Touga.

The story develops uniquely from here.

A dark force based on Osiris, the Egyptian god of the underworld, resurrects boys who were buried alive in the Nemuro Memorial Hall fire and uses them as pawns. Their goal is the death of the Rose Bride, who is the 'witch'.

Touga falls into the hands of this dark force after his defeat in the duel. He is given the power of Osiris, which surpasses the power of Dios, and is ordered to being the Rose Bride [to the dark force] in return. It knows that Touga was after Utena from the start, so he is a means to win against and subdue her. Having succumbed to the mysterious power, Touga has no other choice.

The other student council members are ordered to investigate the Nemuro Memorial Hall incident by Akio (an early appearance).

Touga challenges Utena, who gets brought along by the undead [who have taken Anthy]. Utena, who disagrees with the Rose Bride system, fights without the Sword of Dios and loses to Touga. Anthy aligns herself with Touga as if she had been placed in the palm of his hand.

Akio appears before the despondent Utena. His [who?] servants have been lurking within the dark force. Now that Utena has intentionally lost, Anthy's life is in danger. Akio explains the allegory of the prince and the bride and urges Utena to fight. And so, Utena realizes that she herself is the prince.

Victorious, Touga offers Anthy up to the dark force. When she is surrounded by blades, Utena challenges Touga to another duel. The power of Dios selects Utena, and Touga is defeated. But wasn't he supposed to win? The undead turn their weapons on the maddened Touga, and he falls to them instead.

The other student council members show up, but they all fall to the dark force. The undead are closing in. Utena, the only one who remains, fights them, but against undead enemies who get up again no matter how many times they are struck, she can't avoid being injured.

Anthy, standing apart from the fighting, gets her hands on a machine gun, mows down the undead and flees with Utena.

Akio receives a report from the leader of the dark force. The student council members get treatment for their injuries. He planned the entire incident to restore the power of Dios.

Utena and Anthy get away. They talk about the about the future, about friendship. Anthy confesses that she knew all about Akio's plan from the beginning, and apologies. Utena admits that she has been posing as her prince.

The rest proceeds basically like the original.

Utena challenges Akio, Anthy's savior. Anthy stabs her. Is the bond between the brother and sister so deep rooted? Does the sister still adore her brother, even though he compelled her to play the part of the Rose Bride?

With the Sword of Dios in hand, Akio opens the sealed door, but what emerges is a swarm of undead. Their blades pierce him and he goes down. A failure.

However, when Utena, who has been touched by Dios, opens the door, she encounters Anthy [within]. At the moment they take each other's hands, they are run through by the swords of the undead.

The revolution failed. The duel system will start over from the beginning. But Anthy has changed.

Abandoning Akio, Anthy sets out -- to find Utena.

Seems rather odd that it would already be called Nemuro Memorial Hall, but since this story has nothing to do with Prof. Nemuro the name doesn't really need to have any significance, I guess...

My favorite images:
Anthy effin' up undead with a machine gun (of course)
Touga is the bad guys's bitch!
Akio getting killed(-ish) by zombies!

#24 | Back to Top07-15-2007 01:13:02 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Shiva Indis wrote:

Here we go!

Anthy, standing apart from the fighting, gets her hands on a machine gun, mows down the undead and flees with Utena.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

I see Anthy splattering zombies all over the place with the same benign expression she wears while watering the roses...

Anybody ever see the end of The Prisoner?

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#25 | Back to Top07-15-2007 01:40:46 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa

So...who's gonna draw me a picture of Anthy wielding a machine gun?

That seems to be the part no one seems to get past. etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Board footer