This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#601 | Back to Top07-05-2017 09:14:50 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Fans of Le Television

I think over the top probably works better for television, since it's pushing a very unrealistic premise. The book kind of feels like you're supposed to already be familiar with Gaiman's all gods exist universe, and takes that knowledge for granted.

But you have it just right...it does feel like they're overselling it. Not enough to turn me off, though, and Gillian Anderson is god damn rocking every scene she's in. etc-jurishlick

As for Hannibal, haha yeah. That...doesn't really improve? I will give that the show is willing to torture its Gary Stu, which is nice. And as it goes on, characters are given other things to do aside from moon over Will. It helps that Abigail stops being the center of their universe, too. Season 2 is definitely the best one. Season 3 starts out absolutely amazing but they found out halfway through that the show was getting canceled and it shows. (Same as Penny Dreadful's last season booo) I absolutely love that the show is ambiguous about very little, but what it does kind of not say is usually outrageous. THE BEER HAS PEOPLE IN IT, ALANNA!!!

PS. The Hannibal cookbook is quite excellent and highly recommended.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#602 | Back to Top07-08-2017 01:35:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

How to watch Planet Earth II:

Wait until just before your period when you're all overemotional.

Choke up at every cat your see and sob uncontrollably whenever there's baby animals and/or life and death hunt sequences.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#603 | Back to Top07-12-2017 05:07:09 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I watched just add magic, and I am shocked by how good this was. Truly underrated. For a show with the concept of 3 best gal pals finding a magical cook book at one of there grandma's attic, they have pretty good worldbuilding and mystery. It is a combination of magical girl (more specifically magical witch) shows and gravity falls. If you like these stuff you will love this.

Also watched the first episode of the handmaidens tale, anyone know if its any good afterwards? It is very interesting but seems kind of depressing.

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#604 | Back to Top07-12-2017 03:15:31 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

itavin wrote:

Also watched the first episode of the handmaidens tale, anyone know if its any good afterwards? It is very interesting but seems kind of depressing.

Isn't that a movie?
Anyway, if it's the movie it has a [happy ending, watch it. school-eng101]

Giovanna wrote:

As for Hannibal, haha yeah. That...doesn't really improve? I will give that the show is willing to torture its Gary Stu, which is nice. And as it goes on, characters are given other things to do aside from moon over Will. It helps that Abigail stops being the center of their universe, too. Season 2 is definitely the best one. Season 3 starts out absolutely amazing but they found out halfway through that the show was getting canceled and it shows. (Same as Penny Dreadful's last season booo) I absolutely love that the show is ambiguous about very little, but what it does kind of not say is usually outrageous. THE BEER HAS PEOPLE IN IT, ALANNA!!!

If you don't pay attention, a lot will go over your head, that's for sure.

I love the filming, it's all

PERSON: HEY WILL DO U THINK ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU IS EVIL

CAMERA: ZOOMS IN ON HANNIBAL BUTCHERING PEOPLE PARTS

WILL: CAN'T SAY AS THAT I KNOW ANYONE LIKE THAT

Last edited by Yams (07-12-2017 03:18:44 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#605 | Back to Top07-12-2017 03:30:09 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Yams wrote:

itavin wrote:

Isn't that a movie?
Anyway, if it's the movie it has a [happy ending, watch it. school-eng101]

Nope. Definitely a TV show. Look here for more details http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/ But dont worry, I know the handmaiden movie has a [Happy ending cool] even tho I only heard of it and never watched it.

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#606 | Back to Top08-24-2017 08:23:07 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Since June of this year, a friend and I began watching every. single. episode. of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Tonight, we finally finished.
...with the main show, that is. There's still All Stars and Drag U to watch! BUT WE FINALLY FINISHED ALL 9 MAIN SEASONS OHMYGOD

This binch be postin' once every century

#607 | Back to Top08-24-2017 09:07:57 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

sailor-anthy wrote:

Since June of this year, a friend and I began watching every. single. episode. of RuPaul's Drag Race.
...with the main show, that is. There's still All Stars and Drag U to watch! BUT WE FINALLY FINISHED ALL 9 MAIN SEASONS OHMYGOD

I still haven't watched season 9. emot-rolleyes

Make sure you watch as many Untucked episodes as you can find, too.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#608 | Back to Top08-24-2017 09:28:43 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Raven Nightshade wrote:

sailor-anthy wrote:

I still haven't watched season 9. emot-rolleyes

Make sure you watch as many Untucked episodes as you can find, too.

Season 9 is pretty damn good! It's definitly a drama-filled season, though, which can be a pro or a con depending on if you enjoy the queens throwing miles of shade or not. Some drama I enjoy (Sharon vs Phi Phi, Bianca vs everyone but especially Laganja) but some I was just like "can ya'll stop fighting please."
Haven't seen any of Untucked yet, but I am aware of some of the infamous events like "I AM FROM CHICAGO" and Laganja's freakout.
Edit: I kept misspelling Laganja "Lagagna." More like Lasagna heehee.

Last edited by sailor-anthy (08-24-2017 09:32:02 PM)

#609 | Back to Top08-25-2017 11:53:15 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Just finished season 1 of The Killing, which I really enjoyed—a bit like True Detective, which it predates, or Twin Peaks minus the surrealism. (I'm not a huge TP fan, which is probably enough to have me killed in certain parts.)

I also found a huge guilty pleasure in 13 Reasons Why. I suppose considering my own mental health I should find it really offensive, but. I honestly like the way these minor incidents are shown to accumulate—as F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote, "At 3 in the morning a missed package has the same tragic importance as a death sentence, and in a true dark night of the soul it is always 3 in the morning, every day." Or something like that.

#610 | Back to Top09-10-2017 06:06:57 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

All the shows I'm excited for are drag related in some way; season 10 of RPDR and season 3 of All Stars comin' out sometime, Trixie and Katya are getting a show on November 1st (super hyped because I adore those two), and my former favorite queen Alaska Thunderfuck is gonna be on this new haunted-mansion-reality-show Scared Famous.

#611 | Back to Top09-10-2017 08:44:04 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The finale of Twin Peaks was so good. I worried a little, as someone whose opinion I respect called it the worst finale he'd ever seen. I knew I wouldn't be that disappointed, but suddenly, there was risk. But, no, the show that's excited me the most in recent years paid off beautifully.

Already seen several "End of Twin Peaks" or "Neon Genesis Peaks" memes, but was happy to see some SKU ones, too.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#612 | Back to Top09-26-2017 09:11:29 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Yay I finally finished the Handmaiden's tale, and I these are my thoughts on the final episode:
https://tenor.com/view/kehlani-mic-drop-gif-7646990

Ps, the show is also really really good, because it is not like the Emmy's will tell you that.

#613 | Back to Top09-26-2017 02:08:19 PM

Hornet
New Student

Giovanna wrote:

Carey's Lucifer is BLONDE, entirely self-important, uninterested in humans, and not at all sexual despite being hot as fuck.

IMHO Lucifer is sexually active with Mazikeen (somehow!) in the comic series. He's shown busting her armour off and embracing her, and in Vol.11 of the trades someone asks Mazi how they do it, and she gives a whispered reply which shocks the listener. He also does it with that Japanese Goddess.

But yeah, just the prospect of a procedural "Lucifer" and that trailer made me Nope the F*k Out. Absolutely love Carey, particularly his dialogue, specifically his arguments and fighting words. Glad to know I made the right choice in swerving it.

itavin wrote:

Yay I finally finished the Handmaiden's tale, and I these are my thoughts on the final episode:

"Handmaid's" mate. Haven't seen the show yet, but I've read the novel a couple of times. Does anyone know if it diverges a lot? I don't want to read any press, for the quite ridiculous reason that I don't want any spoilers from a series based on a novel I've read like, two or three times.

As for the made-for-tv Handmaid's movie, it's trash. Don't bother.

Right now I'm pretty into Rick and Morty , watch old Simpsons episodes every day... I'm slowly watching Seinfeld , which is something I haven't seen before, it's all new to me!

I enjoyed the first season of American Gods... Umm, I saw a couple of episodes of Bull which is a procedural about a "Trial Scientist" and quite enjoyed it, but it's on very late at night so I don't watch it a lot.

Recently rewatched all of The IT Crowd and most of Black Books

#614 | Back to Top09-26-2017 02:57:31 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Hornet wrote:

itavin wrote:

"Handmaid's" mate. Haven't seen the show yet, but I've read the novel a couple of times. Does anyone know if it diverges a lot? I don't want to read any press, for the quite ridiculous reason that I don't want any spoilers from a series based on a novel I've read like, two or three times.

As for the made-for-tv Handmaid's movie, it's trash. Don't bother.

Right now I'm pretty into Rick and Morty , watch old Simpsons episodes every day... I'm slowly watching Seinfeld , which is something I haven't seen before, it's all new to me!

Oh thanks mate! Didn't see the error before. On another note, I think you should just watch it, and it doesn't really matter if it diverges or not. You will find merit in the show, even if it wont be as good. I loved the show a lot, and I think that even if it is diffrent, there is merit to see a story in a new light. Or if you are looking for it to be diffrent and it isn't, its only 10 episodes. Its pretty short, so just go watch it.

As for rick and mortey, episodes 8 and 9 of the new season were a really big let down. The premise in 8 is nice and had a very promising start and then the weird middle and then the most disappointing ending they could have made. 9 was just not as creative as the other episodes and Beth's plot made no sense whatsoever. There is no way she is a [sociopath] . And the season finale looks not promising at all. Well, after episodes like tales from the citadel and pickle rick, you have a lot to live up to.

Last edited by itavin (09-26-2017 02:58:01 PM)

#615 | Back to Top09-26-2017 03:16:25 PM

Hornet
New Student

Regarding whether Beth is or is not [a sociopath], I feel like [The evidence Rick presents, the fact that she wanted all these horrible/menacing things made for her as toys] says more about Rick than [Beth.]

That [Beth wasn't noble, that she had a shitty moral compass, that she wanted to play with weapons and wiretaps and stuff] to me, all that says is [She was a kid. Kids are horrible/amoral] and the question of whether [she pushed Tommy] or not is [open.
And even if she did, did she have mens rea, at what, 9?
]

Whereas Rick [made that shit, and gave it to a 9 year old.]

[That said, we've seen shitty behavior from Beth, in past episodes and she's shown she doesn't deal well with narcissistic injury, freaking out at things like the suggestion that she isn't a real surgeon, which is kind of a rage-trigger.] [so it's possible!] I think [the ambiguity as to whether she's a sociopath] segues perfectly into [the ambiguity as to whether she ran away]. I mean, if yes then yes, if no then no.

I agree with you that 6 and 7 were way stronger than 8 and 9

Last edited by Hornet (09-26-2017 03:20:43 PM)

#616 | Back to Top10-09-2017 05:53:07 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Dagger Kiss is so lofi earnest, I can't stop watching. Everyone has perfect hair and cute outfits and there's no budget.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#617 | Back to Top10-15-2017 12:28:24 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Finished season 2 of Hannibal, great finale, ready for season 3!

Hannibal and Will perpetually look like they're going to start aggressively making out, I love it.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP Hannibal zooms down the street in a motorbike in the dark, while strange music plays, a ferris wheel is in the background and the camera zooms in on the white dashes in the road. DID SOMEONE ON THE WRITING TEAM WATCH SKU AS A CHILD??? As if the season 2 finale hug-stab wasn't enough. >:/

Last edited by Yams (10-15-2017 12:36:04 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#618 | Back to Top10-15-2017 02:44:50 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

EEEEEE!!!!! Season 3 of crazy ex girlfriend came out and yes this is my favorite thing ever! It sure hasn't lost its edge, and the music is still the best thing ever. The ending of this song is the funniest shit ever. Also I am not sassy or fun, YOU LIARS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_QtMf6alU

Still gonna recommend this show with all of my heart. I am not sure how to present the show without sounding like it sucks, but what if evangelion was made as a live action american comedy musical with an older cast and more focused on feminism and romance? Well, you will have this show, so I am begging you to check it out since it has low ratings and I want people to love this show more so it will get a season 4.

#619 | Back to Top10-17-2017 01:44:50 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I just realized I might be in TV sequel heaven right now. The good place season 2 had the most amazing first two episodes that it took an entire (next) episode just to cool down. Not to mention stranger things is coming back this month on Netflix and to top it off in the start of November there are new star vs the forces of evil episodes, and all that is with the already mentioned crazy ex girlfriend and the already ended rick and mortey (which had a dissapointing finale). Man I cant be bothered with new shows cause there are too much sequels.

#620 | Back to Top11-05-2017 01:33:14 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Umm...

I know I am doing a post after a post in this thread, but this cant be ignored. You see, Heather's is one of my favorite films, to the point that under pressure, I would call this my favorite movie. So to look at this trailer was having a giant kick to the balls, and it was doubled when I actually researched about this. First some pros and a LOT of cons
Pros:
-The concept of the trailer is that underdogs become the popular thanks to social media. That is a very interesting idea, and I really hope they will develop it.
-There could be this idea that the Heather's became powerful after being oppressed, which is interesting on how power can corrupt.
-They are committed to the color scheme of the original heather's. Thats nice
-That shot of McNamara with her stuffed animals is real cool
-McNamara is a lesbian in here, and I like lesbian mean girls (Looking at my imaginary Shiori shrine)
-I dont think there gonna do the veronica type in the musical but more of the cool girl in the og.
Cons:
-Even if the idea was interesting, in what world do a plus size, a lesbian black woman and a gay guy become the most powerful people in school, the ones everyone wants to be and emulate. This represents practically zero of real life and takes away the point of the originals which was to parody and subvert the popular girl archetypes.
-Less of a con more of a worry that this will become a mean girls remake. I mean, the trailer sure seems to take some creative ideas from that movie, so what id it will become that.
-First off, IN WHAT WORLD WOULD ANY PARENT NAME THERE BOY HEATHER UNLESS THEY WANT PEOPLE TO BULLY HIM IN SCHOOL? Second, way to be so progressive by making your gay guy the most streotypical gay man ever. Thanks, we really wanted more...
-The heather's are in only one episode. I hope I am wrong, but IMDB says that two of the women who play them are only credited in one episode. THEN WHY NAME YOUR SHOW HEATHER'S! My god, not to mention Veronica and JD are in 3 episodes, you know, THE MAIN FUCKING CHARACTERS OF THE ORIGINAL!
-Oh, did I mention this is an anthology series? Yes, that means we might get 7 20-60 minute episodes with nothing to do with the heather's. OH. MY. GOD. Why? Who made that decision? Why in the hell do that? I get that the heather's film does not have enough content for a tv series (Which in that case, why make a tv series?), but you could involve veronica and JD in all the episodes, do it about them fake suiciding a large number of people, have investigating cops, just keep them on the show.
-Kurt has more episodes then the heather's and veronica combined. That is sad.
-The trailers look misleading since, you know, the Heather's are in only one episode. So I dont know for sure how the rest of this show will even fucking look.
-The actress for veronica looks.. iffy. I am not sure if she could rival ms rider, but I hope she is going to not completely suck.
-WHY IS HEATHER DUKE SO EVIL? It may be because of Chandlers [Death] but like, why? I feel it will go the musical route of having her be a bitch instead of a corrupted angel. Yay.

Phew. Well, I am very disappointing, but like with Donald trump, I want to believe that its not the worst. Maybe good will come of this. But these trailers show me nothing but heartbreak and saddens.

#621 | Back to Top11-20-2017 10:21:42 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I finished watching Hannibal and now I have a Hannibal-shaped hole in my heart. emot-gonk
10/10 would recommend.

Now what do I watch?

#622 | Back to Top11-21-2017 10:05:21 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Yams wrote:

I finished watching Hannibal and now I have a Hannibal-shaped hole in my heart. emot-gonk
10/10 would recommend.

Now what do I watch?

I felt exactly the same when I finished Hannibal!  If you liked the art direction you should watch Fullers newest series; American Gods.  There are a number of cast member from Hannibal involved and it's shot gorgeously. Gillian Anderson as Media is AMAZING.

http://www.liveforfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/gillian-anderson-as-lucille-ball-3-791x1024.jpg

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#623 | Back to Top11-21-2017 06:20:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

GIRL I GOT THIS

Fucking loved American Gods! Wednesday is seriously no fucking joking channeling Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate so hard, it's amazing. And Gillian Anderson just crushes every scene she's in and is god damn beautiful. emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

That said, I felt it had less...emotional punch? Than Hannibal? I guess the difference between like Utena and Penguindrum, except much more narrow. I'm definitely all in for more of the show.

#624 | Back to Top11-23-2017 08:29:01 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Currently watching Twin Peaks with a friend. Then I'm gonna show him Lain, Evangelion, and finally UTENAA.
(Also, I know I haven't been on the forum and especially not the discord lately, but I'm still here!!)

#625 | Back to Top11-26-2017 10:39:16 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I am currently filling the hole in my heart by binge-watching Versailles. school-devil

Next on my list will likely be American Gods - didn't know there was some Hannibal cast in there! emot-biggrin

Board footer