This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top01-05-2015 03:26:08 PM

the_architect
Saionji Slapper

Re: New Ikuhara anime!

Damn you, Crunchyroll! No english subs available! Oh well, French will have to do. Can't go wrong with watching one of Ikuni's works in French, right?

#102 | Back to Top01-05-2015 04:52:09 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I watched the first episode! I think the first act was okay and honestly the conversations between Kureha and Sumika kinda boring me but when Lulu and Ginko appear that start to be interesting.

I loves the bears. They are so cute and funny. emot-biggrin The story intrigue me and I like the insane part (the trial for example). The artwork is good. It has some fanservice and that doesn't annoying me but I don't know for those who usually dislikes fanservice.

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#103 | Back to Top01-05-2015 07:45:15 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Aelanie wrote:

I watched the raw just now. Truly, it was 100% Ikuhara. Could not have been more inimitably him. I can't put any faith in the yuri yet, because it may turn out to be all just a metaphor for bears literally eating humans, but there's no doubt it was an amazing spectacle. Now I need subs.

Haha, considering he consulted Morishima Akiko on creating this, I think it will do justice to yuri.

...But also I'm prepared to be trolled.

Last edited by Maarika (01-05-2015 07:46:50 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#104 | Back to Top01-05-2015 08:06:16 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

this is amazing

really liked everything, i was hoping for a fight scene when she went to the roof though. i mean, come on, spiral stairs...! maybe later...

im a shadow play girl irl

#105 | Back to Top01-05-2015 08:12:24 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Well, I just watched the first episode, and I think that's about enough for me.

I have no wish to watch Ikuhara fap all over himself for 25 episodes.

#106 | Back to Top01-05-2015 09:53:56 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Maarika wrote:

Aelanie wrote:

I watched the raw just now. Truly, it was 100% Ikuhara. Could not have been more inimitably him. I can't put any faith in the yuri yet, because it may turn out to be all just a metaphor for bears literally eating humans, but there's no doubt it was an amazing spectacle. Now I need subs.

Haha, considering he consulted Morishima Akiko on creating this, I think it will do justice to yuri.

...But also I'm prepared to be trolled.

You don't need to tell me. Morishima has for many years been worshipped as one of my personal yuri goddesses. Even so, it's Ikuhara. Having the entire show pretend to be about yuri, when all the time it's actually about violent death and consumption by bears, is exactly the kind of thing he would do, and enjoy doing.

#107 | Back to Top01-06-2015 02:30:21 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Episode 1: Mini-Review

Before I start the review, despite what Flah said, I can't watch this show in Australia so I have to wait for it to be uploaded on sites that haven't license it at all.

Two things to note, like the previous anime Ikuhara directed, it will require a second viewing to get a decent understanding of the plot, admittedly I had trouble keeping track of characters which was a storytelling issue Utena had.

Another thing is that you need to understand the show's main motif, the White Lilly flower which has multiple meanings in the context of the show:
They represent Chasity and Virtue which heavily relates to the concept of Virginity A piece of Symbolism that become prominent when Kureha cut off the flower soff their roots as it relates to scene where Kureha was getting eaten by Ginko and Lulu later in the episode which was visualized for SFW reasons with Ginko Lulu licking off a Lilly flower which was placed above Kureha's Crotch(I assume); plus It's Japanese Name is Yuri so it makes the uses of the flower in the scenes even more ironic because of the Lesbian Overtones and the Tittle of the show.

This Differently feels like Ikuhara's return to the Shoujo genre compared to the pseudo Slice of Life feel that Penguindrum had thought this new show still does't feel as grandiose as Utena was, the Duel Themes are gone which were the best part of that show's soundtrack and the move away from fantasy/fairy tale themes gave Ikuhara's newer shows a more restraint feel, it's annoying how Ikuhara can't seem to return to what made Utena a great show compared to his newer works, he already fucked up the movie adaption that does't translate any of the character developments from the show and simplify some aspects of the story resulting in a movie that is't as interesting as the show it was base off.

I don't know honestly, I'll do a second review of this episode during my second run of the show because It's hard for me to discuss in depth with the current subtitles and the nature of Ikuhara's directing.

Edit1: I've had to change some things because I've made some errors and I needed to expand the last sentence a bit , and a final note is that silver link is comprised of ex-shaft staff so that's why the show has a shaft feel to it in regards to production value thought the characters designs are more shoujo then moe, I'll re post this when Giovanna changes the Penguindrum subform to incorporate the other anime Ikuhara has directed including this show as mentioned in Random Thoughts Thread.

Last edited by Rosesareawesome101 (01-06-2015 03:02:04 AM)

#108 | Back to Top01-06-2015 05:49:44 AM

Leeg
Juri Jeerer
Website

Woah, just watched the first episode and couldn't agree more with this:

http://juniperstreet.tumblr.com/post/10 … rashi-will

#109 | Back to Top01-06-2015 12:05:15 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Just watched the first episode...I went in without any real expectations (this being an Ikuhara anime after all) and I must say I'm intrigued. It's somehow making me think of the first episodes of say, SKU or especially Princess Tutu, where it all seems like a very standard anime yet there's something going on under the surface.

So I had a thought!
WHO ELSE IS A BEAR???? school-devil
Think about it. Could some other character secretly be bears besides the main two?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#110 | Back to Top01-06-2015 01:20:24 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

YamPuff wrote:

WHO ELSE IS A BEAR???? school-devil
Think about it. Could some other character secretly be bears besides the main two?

Everyone that has 'Yuri' in their name is my suspect. school-devil So for now I'll go with Mitsuko and Yuriika.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#111 | Back to Top01-06-2015 09:06:30 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Atropos wrote:

Well, I just watched the first episode, and I think that's about enough for me.

I have no wish to watch Ikuhara fap all over himself for 25 episodes.

The series is only 12 episodes long. Barring there is no second season, of course.

I actually found the bears really, and I mean really annoying. Especially in their cute bear form.

Oddly enough, I watched this back to back to Binan to the insanity that is Binan Koukou and I'm not entirely sure what was more over the top, the Binan boys of the Bishie court.

I actually liked the Shaft-like visuals and the academy is full of rule of cool. But perhaps because of that I got more Madoka vibes than anything else.

#112 | Back to Top01-07-2015 03:55:40 AM

malna
Caretaker

Morbidly cute! I rather enjoyed the first episode. It's not love at first sight like it was with Utena but I liked it enough.
The food fixation, sharing and celebrating a meal, presented from both bears and humans sides equally was a nice touch. And the court cracked me up. That is sexy. Shabaduda.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#113 | Back to Top01-07-2015 11:55:12 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

It was pretty good! I enjoyed it. I don't think it's amazing yet, but it took me until around episode 10 for Penguindrum to really get my attention. (Hopefully that won't be the case here since it's so short!)

Also, plushies:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/d7c24d6d3624d9beddc494ba146217ba/tumblr_nhsjtypEEU1qghallo1_1280.png

Last edited by HonorableShadow (01-07-2015 11:55:46 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#114 | Back to Top01-07-2015 12:48:23 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Nocturnalux wrote:

The series is only 12 episodes long. Barring there is no second season, of course.

http://static.dyp.im/VAClAj3rDy/49272e72e7439e999f824594df91dd46.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist)

#115 | Back to Top01-07-2015 02:52:05 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

It was pretty good! I enjoyed it. I don't think it's amazing yet, but it took me until around episode 10 for Penguindrum to really get my attention. (Hopefully that won't be the case here since it's so short!)

Also, plushies:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/d7c24d6d362 … 1_1280.png

Fucking yes.

Please. etc-wankgirl

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#116 | Back to Top01-07-2015 03:57:30 PM

Honey Bear
Website

This anime might be going somewhere interesting, but I'm not convinced I'm going to make it past the gratuitous fanservice...

Also I feel as though my username may have now picked up some new implications due to this show.

Last edited by Honey Bear (01-07-2015 03:58:04 PM)

#117 | Back to Top01-12-2015 02:40:35 PM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I watched episode 2. I still really like it but I am not sure if I understand the symbolism. I guess 'bears eating humans' has something sexual. I am not sure if I like seeing it this way since that look like the bear judge approve girl-on-girl rapes. emot-gonk

I like the bear's sound's. Grawl! Grawl!

A question (spoiler)

[Is everyone except the main character is a bear or what!?!]

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#118 | Back to Top01-12-2015 02:44:04 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

[Is everyone except the main character is a bear or what!?!]

Well if it goes along the lines of the manga spoilers here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?p … 75#p264175, the answer seems to be [yes.]

Last edited by HonorableShadow (01-12-2015 02:44:45 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#119 | Back to Top01-12-2015 07:04:05 PM

Arale
Website

just little ikuhara/utena things

-the backstory at the beginning was repeated,but wasnt part of the opening, so look forward to near the end when it changes to turn out that kureha met sumika being impaled by the hundred flowers of humanity's hatred seven years ago!!!!

-speaking of flowers/swords the flower-licking scene is this show's sword-pulling scene and i dont know how to feel

-i was right about the zettai unmei stairs leading up to where the fights would happen in each episode, but unfortunately kureha seems to be mysteriously incompetent at aiming for now, so no real fights (yet?)

basically my point is you can make a lot of comparisons between the episode structure of these two shows

#120 | Back to Top01-12-2015 09:24:27 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I got a lot of major Black Rose vibes out of this episode. I wonder if that theme will be continued through the series.

[So, when the manga first came out, I'd mentioned that Kureha has a sort of a Rose Bride quality to her. The way events appear to be unfolding in the first two episodes reinforces that assessment for me. Right now, all of the bears have this strange fixation on Kureha. And what Konomi said when we reached the roof was almost a rewording of what the duelists said in the Black Rose arc: (paraphrasing) "My true love has forsaken me! That is why I must kill the Rose bride!" If nothing else, I want to keep watching to see if my crackpot theory is right.]

Also, show of hands, the number of people who've chosen to watch Suspiria thanks to this show. *raises hand*

And if you haven't, do a google image search for the movie and you'll know why you'd feel tempted.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#121 | Back to Top01-12-2015 11:24:29 PM

Arale
Website

oh yeah i forgot, was anyone else reminded of Chiho Saito's weird fixation in the utena mangas when Ginko talked about how tasty tears were?

Last edited by Arale (01-12-2015 11:24:46 PM)

#122 | Back to Top01-13-2015 08:29:41 AM

Zigzagzoom94
Wakaba Wrangler

Well given that everyone seem to be turning out to be bears, my joke-y prediction is that we've actually been on the bear side of the wall the whole time and everyone's just pulling a Sir.Bearington* and pretending to be human without realising they're surrounded by bears.

*if you don't know, Google it. It's a funny story

Sokka: Can your fortune telling explain that?! (points to volcano eruption)
Villager: Can your science explain why it rains?
Sokka: Yes! Yes it can!
~Avatar S01e14

#123 | Back to Top01-13-2015 09:33:05 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Everyone is bears. emot-gonk

#124 | Back to Top01-13-2015 04:11:36 PM

AllegroDiRossi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Metaphorical Morgue (Yuri Kuma Arashi, Ep2):
http://s22.postimg.org/8ohqpvr71/tumblr_inline_ni3s1n_AIb41qcskb2.jpg

Literal Morgue (Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Ep14):
http://s8.postimg.org/i7q71vsrl/tumblr_inline_ni3s26_Ux_X41qcskb2.jpg

I see what you did there, Ikuni...

Live Life Heroically
~
About Me

#125 | Back to Top01-14-2015 04:00:35 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Gio and I have decided that you become a bear when your love becomes impure (sexually aggressive). This is based on a whole shitload of takarazuka history, yuri tropes, and historical treatment of homosexuality between women in Japan that someone posted on another forum. It was fantastic. I'm going to try to get permission to copy it here because it made me think more about the meaning behind what was going on.

Although, when it comes to characterization, son, I am disappoint.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer