This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-14-2014 09:52:33 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Re: New Ikuhara anime!

New PV! http://www.yurikuma.jp/movie.html

HOLY CRAP that architecture is straight out of Utena. The entire color palette was lifted from Adolescence.

ANN has a translation of the premise, and it's WHACK.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 … ast/.81031

Some time ago, the asteroid Kumaria exploded in the depths of space.

The resulting fragments became a meteor shower that rained down on Earth, and for some reason, bears all over the world rose up and attacked humanity! In "Man vs. Bear," the bears ate the humans and the humans shot the bears, resulting in a seemingly unending battle and a cycle of hatred. In the end, a giant "Wall of Extinction" was erected between the humans and bears and a state of mutual nonaggression came to pass….

The human world.

One morning, Arashigaoka Academy students Kureha Tsubaki and Sumika Izumino were by themselves and saw the "Yuri Flower" that bloomed in a flower bed. The two are friends as well as lovers. The flower bed is an important place to the two. At that moment, the Bear Alarms ring out! The bears are invading the human world, and humans are being attacked! Are they really those bears? One mystery invokes yet another mystery, one after another. The curtain rises magnificently on Yuri Kuma Arashi!

In other words: we're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#77 | Back to Top11-14-2014 10:07:55 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Well, it's either going to be good (or somewhat watchable) or too frustratingly baffling (which might not be that big of a surprise though, given the pedigree it's from). I haven't seen Penguindrum yet, but I definitely will try to catch this while it's airing!
Also, the Judgemens are ridiculous in the way only anime boys can be. I just read some translations of the quotes from them, and I felt a wave of second hand embarrassment. "Sexy shaba-doo" is too close to "Yabba dabba doo" for my health.

#78 | Back to Top11-15-2014 05:22:42 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

That premise like the most surreal I've read coming out of a Ikuhara work considering that comes from the same guy that ended the movie adaption of Utena with Utena transforming into a car and raced out of the Academy against transformed versions of Kozue and Shiori towards some apocalyptic wasteland.

There's like Allegories to the Berlin War heck I'll be surprise If Ikuhara tries to implement some political themes to spice things with what is ultimately going to be a love story between 2 girl with a degree of complex plotting behind it regarding the Political side of it and the character side of it; like there needs to be a war between Humans and Bears in the final act and the main couple gets caught up in it or better yet, something like with xenogears or xenoblade where the bears start to return to their original forms.

But all of that is speculation heck what may happen in the series may completely contradict what I'm speculating considering Ikuhara's pedigree as a Avant-Garde anime director.

#79 | Back to Top11-17-2014 11:14:52 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I'm so excited! And I'm glad we FINALLY got to see the PV.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#80 | Back to Top11-29-2014 05:28:40 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Yuri Kuma Arashi manga came out this week and here are a few interesting things from it, if anyone's interested. Full of SPOILERS, of course!
You can get the digital copy on Amazon.jp or honto.jp if you want btw (that's what I did).

I should note that I've only briefly skimmed through the manga, so don't quote me on all of these things! When I get more time I'll read through everything properly.

[- Ginko likes Kureha and Kureha likes her too but then there's also Lulu (or Ruru), who is a bear too, who likes Ginko, and she says Ginko is a princess and she wants to live together with her in a castle. Yuri love triangle confirmed~ Also apparently Ginko's house is huge and fancy and she's from a well-off family who is regarded as nobility among bears and Lulu calls Ginko's mom Queen.

- Ginko's mother tells Ginko that she should stop being in a relationship with Kureha because bears and humans can't be together and that kind of relationship is a taboo because bears eat humans. She also tells Ginko that she should eat Kureha, as that's what Ginko's mom did with her former lover when she was younger.

- Kureha lost her mother when she was little and it's implied that Kureha's mom was eaten by Ginko's mom when they were lovers. Kureha doesn't know anything about it and her father and no one else has told her what happened to her mom. Apparently Lulu knows about it but we don't know if Ginko does.

- Ginko's mom is presently in a relationship with Yuriika who is Kureha's teacher and caretaker. So we've got a lesbian bear mom. lol

- Kureha is in a rifle shooting club and apparently she's pretty good.

- Kureha's father is a great bear hunter. Kureha shows off all the bear related swag (probably her father's -- bear fur, bear meat, trophies etc) and says she loves to eat bear meat. Ginko in particular is shocked and unnerved when she find out about that. Yuriika tells her that she and Ginko are allergic to bear meat. Lulu also tells her she can't eat bear meat.

- Ginko struggles with her feelings about whether to eat or not to eat Kureha and this prompts Life Sexy to quote a Hamlet-style "To eat or not to eat? That is a question" in Engrish.

- Ginko's mom tells Ginko that only their family can see the world as it is, meaning that humans are all really bears in disguise who only think they are humans. Also apparently there are only three bears left that can see the world like that: Ginko, her mom, and Yuriika who btw is Ginko's aunt from her father's side of the family, so that makes Yuriika's and Ginko's mom's relationship somewhat incestuous.

- Ginko says that Kureha is the only person in the world who isn't really a bear and who is a real human. She also calls Kureha her soul mate (unmei no hito, the term they used in Penguindrum).

- The manga ends with Ginko telling Kureha that she's really a bear and she's the only one who can see the real world. Later Kureha and Lulu (who has been listening in) talk about that and Kureha concludes that Ginko lives in a fantasy world that Ginko's mom has created for her, and Kureha decides to save Ginko from her mom but she admits that she doesn't really know what to do to help Ginko.
]

Of course, all this might be totally different in the anime, so we'll find out when the anime comes out. I'm excited~~ emot-dance
Also Morishima's art is really nice and there's barely (or bearly HURR*shot* sorry, couldn't help) any fanservice, so if you're familiar with her other yuri works you'll know what to expect. As a yuri fangirl, I totally enjoyed it and can't wait for more!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#81 | Back to Top12-03-2014 08:01:26 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Wow that plot sounds so bizarre. XD I'm excited to see the anime.  Thanks for the spoilers! emot-biggrin

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-03-2014 08:01:49 AM)

#82 | Back to Top12-03-2014 01:09:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It sounds like an Ikuhara anime. school-devil

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#83 | Back to Top12-04-2014 11:38:34 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I swear, the more I read about it, the more I'm afraid that he's gone mad with power and that the show will be a meaningless mess filled with nothing but whatever happened to pop into his head that day.

Then again, that car chase at the end of Adolescence of Utena was marvelous.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#84 | Back to Top12-05-2014 11:16:51 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

This might just be quirky enough to work. And if it doesn't we can always say well it's Ikuhara and he's weird like that and we'll probably remember it with fondness anyway.

#85 | Back to Top12-05-2014 11:07:48 PM

Krusiv
New Student

New PV released today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY7LmwROg9A

I really hope that this show is good. I'm not asking for a masterpiece here... just something that is more than "lol so random and lots of yuri."

#86 | Back to Top12-06-2014 08:37:50 AM

Kiseki
Website

So it starts airing in January? I hope it's relatively good, too...

I haven't watched any new anime in over a year...

http://r14.imgfast.net/users/1412/22/06/04/smiles/2930773878.gifDo you suppose happiness is something close to us, after all?

#87 | Back to Top12-08-2014 07:05:19 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

https://33.media.tumblr.com/28d0433be504bc9bfdfce4804815ba38/tumblr_ng5f2dBQiD1tss4lfo1_500.gif

Zettai unmei mokushiroku..

#88 | Back to Top12-08-2014 05:56:35 PM

Arale
Website

This will be the first anime that I'll be watching as it releases, everything else I've watched it was long after the show had already concluded.

Well, I have to account for when subs get made or whatever, of course.

im a shadow play girl irl

#89 | Back to Top12-25-2014 07:15:49 AM

Krusiv
New Student

Another new PV! This time with english subs: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dbqo … rashi-pv-3

#90 | Back to Top12-25-2014 04:23:03 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

It looks like it's going to have very similar aesthetics to Penguindrum, which is fine by me. emot-biggrin

#91 | Back to Top12-25-2014 08:22:15 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Arale wrote:

This will be the first anime that I'll be watching as it releases, everything else I've watched it was long after the show had already concluded.

Well, I have to account for when subs get made or whatever, of course.

I watched Penguindrum as it came out, and sub turnaround time was about 24 hours.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#92 | Back to Top12-31-2014 04:09:50 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Every time Ikuhara makes something new I am drawn back to this forum! This anime looks like some serious wtf-ery but how can I not watch it? poptart

Watching the trailer, my first thought was 'If SKU and MP made love, this may very well have been their bastard child'.

Last edited by YamPuff (12-31-2014 05:28:38 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#93 | Back to Top01-01-2015 03:20:58 PM

the_architect
Saionji Slapper

http://www.ath.brainld.org/roba/yurikuma/03.jpg

#94 | Back to Top01-01-2015 04:47:09 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

It's official. FUNimation has acquired the streaming rights to Yuri Kuma Arashi.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 … ime/.82820

Steins;Gate didn't manage it. Space Dandy didn't manage it. But they've finally made me cave. I have no choice but to sign up for their paid service. You bastards finally won!

Does it feel lonely?

#95 | Back to Top01-01-2015 10:23:55 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

>How I reacted to this announcement at first

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120116014723/trollopolis/images/7/7f/M-bison-yes-o.gif

>Then I remember that I don't live in America and has to wait until madman/crunchyroll gets streaming rights

http://i.minus.com/iYy4q0pQ9Tk6t.gif

Funimation played us like a damn Fiddle, why can't Crunchyroll get the streaming rights? you only have to wait like a week after a episode gets simulcasted on Crunchyroll if you are not a subscriber, Crunchyroll can be watched outside of america and licensing fees would of been cheep considering that this anime is a pretty niche one in comparison to the big ones like Attack on Titan.

PS. can someone replace Kojima and the metal gear characters with Funimation and the protagonists of the various anime Ikuhara Directed after Sailor Moon via photoshop or better yet

#96 | Back to Top01-02-2015 12:09:20 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

>Then I remember that I don't live in America and has to wait until madman/crunchyroll gets streaming rights

Funny you should say that...

Does it feel lonely?

#97 | Back to Top01-02-2015 03:03:40 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Flah wrote:

Rosesareawesome101 wrote:

Funny you should say that...

Wait what!!! the best part about this is that crunchyroll did't announce it until 5 hours after the annoucement by Funimation, and it was announce almost an hour and a half after I made that post? It almost at as if crunchyroll read my post and granted my wish.

So I'll see you guys/girls when Giovanna opens up a dedicated section of the forum like with Peguindrum, it going to be the first new release I've watched since Space Dandy/Stardust Crusaders and the first Ikuhara show that I've watched on released, I only watched Utena and Penguindrum via online subs.

#98 | Back to Top01-02-2015 06:34:11 AM

the_architect
Saionji Slapper

Damn, I just went to the trouble of subscribing to Funimation for one month (via VPN, of course) after reading that post and cursing that my CR subscription was going to be useless...

Also,
http://www.ath.brainld.org/roba/yurikuma/02.jpg

http://www.ath.brainld.org/roba/yurikuma/01.jpg
And finally...
http://www.ath.brainld.org/roba/yurikuma/00.jpg

Last edited by the_architect (01-04-2015 04:05:56 PM)

#99 | Back to Top01-05-2015 11:34:52 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I watched the raw just now. Truly, it was 100% Ikuhara. Could not have been more inimitably him. I can't put any faith in the yuri yet, because it may turn out to be all just a metaphor for bears literally eating humans, but there's no doubt it was an amazing spectacle. Now I need subs.

#100 | Back to Top01-05-2015 02:30:48 PM

Zigzagzoom94
Wakaba Wrangler

http://s1.postimg.org/wx4aq9jgr/tumblr_nhdk70nla_G1txz6xco1_500.jpg

Thought you guys would appreciate this emot-tongue

Sokka: Can your fortune telling explain that?! (points to volcano eruption)
Villager: Can your science explain why it rains?
Sokka: Yes! Yes it can!
~Avatar S01e14

Board footer