This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-11-2016 08:54:43 AM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

Harry Potter VIII

"Draco asks Harry to use his position as Head of Magical Law Enforcement at the Ministry of Magic to shut down gossip that a Time-Turner was used to allow Voldemort to impregnate Astoria, Draco’s wife, who gave birth to Scorpius."
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I can't even this whole thing seriously what the fuck

Last edited by Amasis (06-11-2016 08:55:05 AM)

#2 | Back to Top06-11-2016 12:59:03 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Re: Harry Potter VIII

I've been deeply upset by this since last night. I keep hoping its not true but it appears that multiple sources share the same concensus:O

#3 | Back to Top06-11-2016 01:06:23 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Is this supposedly in the book? It sounds like it would be from some poorly written fan fiction.

#4 | Back to Top06-11-2016 02:17:34 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I read through it and even though it's coming from seemingly reliable sources, I can't see it as being the real thing and it especially doesn't make sense as a stage play. I'm putting on my skepticals for now.

EDIT: However. I'm already shipping Scorpius x Albus emot-dance

Last edited by YamPuff (06-11-2016 02:19:13 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#5 | Back to Top06-11-2016 02:34:02 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

I've heard some people suggest that perhaps this supposed leak is just a distraction so that the actual plot isn't revealed. With the way things look I hope that's the case. After skimming through a spoilers reddit for Cursed Child it appears that some misinformation is spread, yet a lot of people are showing similar spoilers to the daily beast article.
https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter/co … ad_part_2/

In conclusion I'm worried emot-gonk

#6 | Back to Top06-11-2016 04:48:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I read and enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I was never part of a fan community.  Can someone explain to me why the plot of the play (assuming it's the real deal) seems so disastrous to so many fans?  Like, I know a lot of fans prefer not to think about the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, which the play picks up from -- is that all it is, or is there more?

#7 | Back to Top06-11-2016 05:18:19 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Well, at least it can't be more infuriating than Magic in America.  emot-keke

(spoilers: the genocide of the indigenous civilizations and the centuries-long enslavement of those of African descent either didn't happen or don't matter, because Rowling decided to set a "what-if" scenario for her magical world in the US while pretending that the US doesn't already have a deeply troubled history to inform its deeply troubled present, and doesn't give a shit what the implications are)

Or, maybe it can, seeing how the response is more universally pissed off, but I'm beyond caring.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#8 | Back to Top06-11-2016 05:20:27 PM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

satyreyes wrote:

I read and enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I was never part of a fan community.  Can someone explain to me why the plot of the play (assuming it's the real deal) seems so disastrous to so many fans?  Like, I know a lot of fans prefer not to think about the epilogue of Deathly Hallows, which the play picks up from -- is that all it is, or is there more?

I was into Harry Potter very much when I was eight, nine, ten, or so. I loved the books, the movies, and -especially- the video games for the first three films, which had some very pleasant music and wondeful atmosphere to them. To be honest Ohtori in Utena reminded me of the feeling that Hogwarts in the games had. After the last book, I grew out of it; I did see the subsequent movies.

Personally I just find this plot absolutely hilarious for its ridiculousness; an intensification of my increasing scorn and scrutiny of the story and world. Also, it does kind of feel like it's defiling my childhood; Harry Potter was finished in 2007 and JKR's doesn't seem to be adding anything better to it.

(The contemporary "children's books" (they'd probably be called YA) that I still have an actually high regard for are Lemony Snicket, the Bartimæus Trilogy, and Leviathan Trilogy; the last is from when I was passing through from reading "children's books" to... well, rarely reading, but when I do it's something patrician.)

#9 | Back to Top06-11-2016 05:49:39 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

satyreyes wrote:

It appears that there is a mechanic Rowling is using that is unfavorable with some fans. Apparently it leads to contradictions to the series and can be seen as a sort of cop out([timeturner]. Some feel that it is a jumbled mess and is apparently reminiscent of some fan fiction called "My Immortal." Never read the fic myself but from what I have read of this supposed leaked plot, it reads like a fan fic.

#10 | Back to Top06-11-2016 07:04:05 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

I'd suggest reading "My Immortal" or at least skimming it. It had me laughing for a good while.emot-rofl

#11 | Back to Top06-11-2016 10:57:41 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

maridaberri wrote:

I'd suggest reading "My Immortal" or at least skimming it. It had me laughing for a good while.emot-rofl

The fun thing about reading "My Immortal" is trying to figure out whether it's terrible on purpose or by accident.  "The Eye of Argon" is the other one to look up in that genre.  It's the center of a party game where you try to read it out loud for as long as you can without laughing. emot-rofl

Amasis wrote:

Personally I just find this plot absolutely hilarious for its ridiculousness; an intensification of my increasing scorn and scrutiny of the story and world. Also, it does kind of feel like it's defiling my childhood; Harry Potter was finished in 2007 and JKR's doesn't seem to be adding anything better to it.

I wonder, is the plot of the play really sillier than the plot of the books?  Or does it just seem that way because we're reading a clinical description of it, rather than experiencing it in the medium it was written for?  Would the books sound equally silly if their plot points were written out in the same way?  I don't know, but it's not like the play is just a collection of random events.  There's theme here.  There are HP-wide themes like "adults aren't perfect either, even Harry Potter, and this is important even though it causes problems," and "friendship and family at their best can transcend all kinds of barriers."  And there are the Time-Turners, which are used to explore the idea of changing the past, in order to arrive at the conclusion that all we can really do is accept the present.  (Which is a clean and interesting turnaround from the cheaty way they're used in Prisoner of Azkaban.)  I don't mean to say the play is good; I have no idea whether it's good or not.  But I wonder what gives people so much confidence that it's sillier than:

TVTropes' Better Than It Sounds, on The Half-Blood Prince, wrote:

A boy realizes he likes his best friend's sister, gets to be the new professor's favorite (despite doing absolutely nothing to earn it aside from being famous and taking advice written in his textbook), and gets private history lessons from the headmaster that will eventually lead to the downfall of the villain...but not in this book, as the villain doesn't make any significant appearances (in the present) and doesn't even interact with the boy.

#12 | Back to Top06-11-2016 11:09:15 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Satyreyes, you make a good point about differences in purpose for Time-Turners as opposed to their use in Prisoner of Azkaban. Plus given the description in the article like you have mentioned, it probably is the worst medium in which to read a plot. Thank you, for my childhood sees a glimmer of hope. poptart

#13 | Back to Top06-12-2016 12:01:08 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Stop ruining Voldemort Day everyone.

satyreyes wrote:

Spoilers below:

- Voldemort somehow had a baby
- That baby is inexplicably as evil as Voldemort despite seemingly lacking the circumstances that caused him to end up that way, even though the series stresses that evil is a choice and not something you're fated to
- she sounds like a bad fanfic character
- Cedric Diggory, a noble Hufflepuff who once demanded a Quidditch rematch with Gryffindor because he felt like his own team had won unfairly due to outside circumstances, who also tried to get everyone to stop wearing the buttons praising him and insulting Harry, and who even helped Harry figure out one of the tasks for the Triwizard Tournament, becomes a death eater somehow and literally kills Neville Longbottom just because he felt humiliated losing the tournament
- Ron tries to help a teenager commit date rape via love potion despite having personally experienced why love potions are awful
- Harry, the guy who was abused by his family for the first eleven years of his life and always made to feel like an unwanted burden, tells his son that he wishes he hadn't been born
- The time turners weren't destroyed even though Rowling previously said they definitely all were
- The time turners don't work the same way as they're implied to in the books, and conflict with information Rowling had given on Pottermore about how they work
- The alternate timelines are ridiculous
- "The Scorpion King"
- "The Blood Ball"
- "Voldemort Day"
- The plot is a blatant rip-off of Back to the Future II
- There's a character named Craig who seems to only be present in one scene and is immediately killed but inexplicably drives the protagonists to seek vengeance for him

All that being said, I don't believe these spoilers are legit. The whole thing sounds like a joke to me.

Last edited by Sparky (06-12-2016 12:21:43 PM)

Board footer