This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#301 | Back to Top05-16-2011 11:35:08 AM

Yamino
New Student

Re: Someday My Revolution Will Come (Utena video game)

K-sama wrote:

The isos don't seem to have been properly dumped. They should have a size multiple of 2048. This issue makes them incompatible with the other emulator, yabause.
Anyways i posted the fix here in last post: http://yabause.org/forums/index.php?act … ;page=-1#8

Just in case someone wants to play utena with yabause, which is multiplattform.

I have the same problem you mentioned (also on a Mac) but I haven't been able to figure out how to use your suggested solution! I got a hex editor, but I've tried editing the files with extra numbers as your suggestion, and nothing seems to get it to work.  I know it's been a few years, but hopefully you have reply notifications set up for this thread...I could really use some some help. emot-smile

Thanks so much Giovanna for posting the isos!  I really hope I can managed to get them to work. It's been 6 years that I've been trying to find these files! XD

#302 | Back to Top05-17-2011 08:17:19 PM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

Is Utena really that underground?

I'm surprised that there is not a single translation for the game. You know, besides dalbun's.

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#303 | Back to Top06-15-2011 11:28:55 AM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

I'm suprised too that not one's attempted to translate this game yet but hopefully I can remedy that as I'm a fan of Utena and would love to see this game get localized.  I came across the Let's Play posts on here and I think this is the best site to post to to ask if anyone with knowledge of Japanese would like to help out in translating this.  If nothing else, dalbun, would you mind if I used your let's play notes to translate this game?  I"m posting here rather than a wanted ad on Romhacking.net as I figure there'd be more interest here.

So far I've ran through and dumped all the scripts for each scenario plus the testing scripts they left on the CD (which may or may not be interesting to translate, figured why not though since I dumped everything else).  I haven't extracted the videos yet but will look at doing that later on.  I'll admit now the videos could be the harder part for me as graphics are not my strong point at all but I figure they'll probably be a format that can be extracted already.  Worse comes to worse I'm quite familiar with assembly hacking so can probably code something from there as well as looking at Yabause's code.

If anyone's curious, here's a sample of the first script extracted from the *.SCN files on the CD:
DAY_A0.SCN.TXT
I haven't found out the convention for displaying the names yet so no names are added to the script.  In all honesty though if it's too much of a pain to link then I probably won't add any.

And my code that can be used by any programmers to extract this as well : utena_extract.cpp
(note, my newest code is uploaded yet as I'll be doing that later on tonight, along with the rest of the SCN files.

And later on when everything is uploaded you can check this folder for it all : revolutionary_girl_utena
(The repository all of this is hosted on is open to the public, it's run by myself and another where I do the hacking and and he the translating.  He may or may not look at this one eventually based on time and his own interest.  If your curious to see what else is in there feel free to go to transprojects)

So yeah, if anyone's interested let me know.  As stuff is translated I'll post everything in the above repository along with partial patches.  Or if we want to host the files elsewhere to be translated wiki style as some projects do, that'll work as well.

#304 | Back to Top06-15-2011 01:44:36 PM

Leeg
Juri Jeerer
Website

Will you be able to inject text?

Still, I'm afraid I can't help since I don't know japanese,... but i've tried with your samples into google translator, and it seems quite easy...

Nice work emot-biggrin

Last edited by Leeg (06-15-2011 01:53:33 PM)

#305 | Back to Top06-15-2011 01:57:10 PM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Yup, already tested.  I can post pics as well if anyone's curious.

The only problem like I said may be the videos which will need to be dumped and subtitled.  Subtitling isn't hard, just the conversion to something editable such as an avi and then back to the proper format may be but I enjoy a good challenge so should be fun emot-smile

#306 | Back to Top06-15-2011 02:18:01 PM

Leeg
Juri Jeerer
Website

The videos are already exported in avi with audio and all, I can't find the post but it's in this topic, I downloaded them from here.

#307 | Back to Top06-15-2011 02:28:32 PM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Awesome!  That means that it should be a pretty conventional format which should hopefully mean easy conversion between the two.  So no worries there then.  The only thing also I need to look at is the buttons for title screen which need to be dumped but those shouldn't be too hard.  Thanks!

#308 | Back to Top06-15-2011 06:46:45 PM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

All the scripts for disc 1 have been uploaded located at : https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/tra … cript_txt/  I forgot about disc 2 so will extract those later.

Also below is an example of the text ingame, figured why not post some screenshots? emot-smile  This is using the text from the first Let's Play post.  I didn't format anything as I was curious to see how it would handle in game (very nice).  Enjoy!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/5837319859_96ac0d3caa.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/5837871002_d1937bd78c.jpg

#309 | Back to Top06-16-2011 08:49:18 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Hey, awesome, esperknight. The samples look great, lack of formatting notwithstanding. I think the only reason nobody's tried this before is because we've never had a convergence of someone who's up for translating, and somebody who was confident working with Saturn ROMs. The Utena fan community isn't that huge, unfortunately...

But yeah, I'd be happy to help translating the rest of the game. emot-smile It was pretty fun, and half the work is probably done already. Besides, I'd want to go over my Let's Play translations once more before you used them, anyway - I was pounding them out without a whole lot of proofreading, and made distinct errors sometimes. (For instance, I totally misunderstood the Shadow Play the first time through.) Also, my translated dialogue tends to sound rather stilted, so maybe I could smooth it out a little.

Having all the scripts ripped will make things much easier. Not knowing who's saying what could be annoying, though - hopefully it will be clear from the context, but if you can figure out how the names are coded that would be cool. And I don't suppose there's some easy-to-understand way that the lines of the script are connected to the sound files, such that we could pull up a given line to hear the characters' tone of voice? emot-tongue That's probably asking too much.

I'm willing to tackle the rest of the script myself, but that might make me the bottleneck on the project - I'm not certain how much time it would take to work through. If other translators want in, no doubt we could work out some division of labor!

As for uploading the translations - I guess it would be easiest to just take the script files, and add in the English translations under each section of Japanese? That way the original would still be there for reference until you go back and format them properly.

Thanks again for setting this up. Hopefully we can make it happen. emot-dance

#310 | Back to Top06-17-2011 06:28:51 AM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Hello Dallbun!  That'd be awesome if you want to translate it emot-biggrin  In all honesty I was hoping you'd reply as I think you're Let's Play are fantastic and also saw your translation of the light novels too.

The smallness is the same problem with the Sailor Moon community too.  No one has tackled anything but the RPG and one of the fighters.  I'm hoping to rectify that as well too emot-smile

I believe I've found out how the names partially work.  At least I can recognize (after I've seen the name that's popped up for that sentence) who's saying what.  I just haven't had a chance to dive in and see how it's calculated to show what name but plan on doing that later on today so I don't have to build that table by hand.  So names will be in there soon at least.  If nothing else I can always redump the scripts as we go along to insert the names if I do need to do them by hand.

Far as actual spoken dialogue... maybe...  I've dumped the event scripts as well but not sure how it ties in with spoken lines yet.  An example is below though.  I haven't uploaded them as I'm not sure how useful they'd be.  If nothing else we'll have to replay the game to make sure all lines sound right (gotta love Japanese ambiguity).  Another thing with the voice files, is there a known ripping tool for those to extract them?   I'm even worse at sound stuff as I have no idea how it works (well... I somewhat do emot-smile )

My friend I work with on various other translation projects may be able to help with translation as well but not sure due to his commitment on other projects.  I'll talk with him to see if he'd like to though.  It's not a huge deal if it takes a long while as this is a time consuming process and these scripts aren't small (although I add quite a bit to them).  I'd also be able to help somewhat too using your lets play if that'll work.  I understand Japanese a wee bit (enough to get by with a lot of lookups in a dictionary and using ALC.co.jp pretty heavily) so can somewhat match up lines too.

And that'll work pretty nicely to add the english under the Japanese.  For me that just means running that same file through a script insertion program and voila, it's all in there emot-smile

Oh and when translating, disregard formatting as the way I do that for my projects is run it through my formatting tool and then we can go back and tweak it by hand where it's needed.

Event Script :
BG_NL2
セーブしますか?
ラブラブキャラ%d
ウテナ気高さ%d
アキオカー編起動可能
アキオカー編起動不可能
Event L02
Event D50
EVD48
A19
Debug:Play SE
SE053
EVD49
SE012
SE032
EVD50

#311 | Back to Top06-17-2011 06:27:04 PM

filler
New Student

Esperknight's friend here. I'd be happy to split the script translation duties with you. I know what it's like working on a long script and I'm happy to collaborate. The only issue with multiple translators is sometimes a little more editing work trying to get the tone consistent.

One thing that may help with that is a translation aid/tool that I coded that we could enter character/place names into and things like that for consistency. Once they are entered into the translation memory, they come up each time you look-up a line with the same words in it again so we'd only have to make one canonical list and enter it once.

Also I'm working on a bunch of other projects but I should be able to work this in between. I probably owe EK another high priority title once Sailor Moon R is finished. emot-smile

#312 | Back to Top06-18-2011 12:29:14 AM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

esperknight wrote:

All the scripts for disc 1 have been uploaded located at : https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/tra … cript_txt/  I forgot about disc 2 so will extract those later.

Also below is an example of the text ingame, figured why not post some screenshots? emot-smile  This is using the text from the first Let's Play post.  I didn't format anything as I was curious to see how it would handle in game (very nice).  Enjoy!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/583 … 0d3caa.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/583 … 7bd78c.jpg

Whoa, thanks!

It looks awesome.

Unfortunately I got nothing to offer to this project of yours and dalbun's, but you guys/girls got my moral support.

This is the only Utena game they ever made, so I think translating it would be a great achievement for you and this community.

Last edited by Absolute Apocalypse (06-18-2011 12:30:07 AM)

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#313 | Back to Top06-18-2011 07:23:49 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

If you need the video subtitled I might be able to give you a hand. Even though there were several hundred individual video files, only a few contained speech. One thing to keep in mind is that the video is blurry and small and adding subtitles might make it look worse. I'm also not sure how to convert the AVI to the CPK that the game used. I'll try poking through all of your information but my programing is not very good.
edit
oops
turns out there are about 20 on the first disc and 100 on the second. Miscounted the total number of files.

Last edited by gpink (06-18-2011 08:56:26 PM)

#314 | Back to Top06-18-2011 10:02:17 PM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks gpink!  Any help is appreciated.

I still have yet to look at the videos myself so not sure of converting them to and from yet.  If we can convert them to AVI then I'm thinking we should be able to go back the other way... I thought I recall an AVI to CPK tool when I looked into Saturn stuff way back when but then again I may be thinking of the PSX...

Do you know if that CPK to AVI tool is opensource or if there is one out there that is?  If worse comes to worse we can always use a text file but I'd honestly rather not.

Far as the conversion goes, does it already look blurry on the Saturn?  I haven't see any videos except the beginning which looked fine I believe...

And wow that's a lot of videos!  Thankfully there's only a few we gotta do then.

Thanks!

#315 | Back to Top06-19-2011 09:01:37 AM

Dallbun

filler wrote:

Esperknight's friend here. I'd be happy to split the script translation duties with you. I know what it's like working on a long script and I'm happy to collaborate. The only issue with multiple translators is sometimes a little more editing work trying to get the tone consistent.

Also I'm working on a bunch of other projects but I should be able to work this in between. I probably owe EK another high priority title once Sailor Moon R is finished. emot-smile

Cool, I'd appreciate it. Don't push yourself too much, though, if you have other projects. If you want, I could go through the script files and insert in the translations I've already done, revising a little as I go, and then we can see what's left. I should have a fair bit of time I could set aside this week. Alternately, we could just to something simple, like I take the first disc and you take the second disc? I've never collaborated on a translation before. emot-smile

One thing that may help with that is a translation aid/tool that I coded that we could enter character/place names into and things like that for consistency. Once they are entered into the translation memory, they come up each time you look-up a line with the same words in it again so we'd only have to make one canonical list and enter it once.

I don't completely follow how one uses the program, but a tool to coordinate terms sounds good to me! I guess we also have to make some basic decisions, like what order to put given and last names in, and what to do about honorifics... (I tend to leave them in as-is, but then, I'm lazy. emot-redface)

esperknight wrote:

Far as the conversion goes, does it already look blurry on the Saturn?  I haven't see any videos except the beginning which looked fine I believe...

Yeeeah, I'm afraid they're kind of grainy. They don't look as good as Sakura Taisen, for instance.

And wow that's a lot of videos!  Thankfully there's only a few we gotta do then.

If I remember right, there aren't that many with dialogue - a voiceover when the protagonist arrives at Ohtori; Chigusa and Utena exchanging a few words before their duel; Anthy summoning the Sword of Dios; and maybe Akio and Anthy have a line each during their brief transitional scene. Maybe Touga introducing the Akio Car. Most of those files should be dialogue-less duel segments, character-introducing panning shots, and the like.

On top of those, there are at least two songs that are matched to video - Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, and the opening song. We can probably get away with not subtitling ZUM if we don't want to, since fans know it well enough. I'd say we should probably do the opening song if we can, though.

I'm not sure if there's any way to subtitle the duel songs. In most of the character paths, at least, Gertzen's Head is sort of a background music, that isn't synched to the video. It might be different with the Utena ending? Or maybe that's where The Inversion of Me and My Room comes in? I haven't actually played the game that thoroughly. Anyway, if we can't subtitle them, we can just include translations, Verthandi's or our own, in a translation notes text file.

Last edited by Dallbun (06-19-2011 09:11:54 AM)

#316 | Back to Top06-20-2011 12:08:21 PM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Update for the scripts.  I've found out how the names sync up to the sentences so now the majority of them have names attached.  I'm still missing some it seems though as the game doesn't always store them sequentially it seems.  I'll have them uploaded as is now in a little bit. Missing names are marked with unknown.  From there I'll upload them as I get more names added.

Don't worry about translating them as they're all graphic files anyway that'll need to be redone in hopefully a much more readable manner.  Filler helped out with a few as the kanji for them were really hard to read.

I'm not sure if there's any way to subtitle the duel songs. In most of the character paths, at least, Gertzen's Head is sort of a background music, that isn't synched to the video.

For this, is the same video used but different music each time or?  If it's the same music to the same video we could just do it how it's done in the anime and have it subtitled up top I'd think with additional subtitles at the bottom if there's any dialogue.  If nothing else, text files it is then emot-smile

#317 | Back to Top06-20-2011 05:24:53 PM

filler
New Student

Cool, I'd appreciate it. Don't push yourself too much, though, if you have other projects. If you want, I could go through the script files and insert in the translations I've already done, revising a little as I go, and then we can see what's left. I should have a fair bit of time I could set aside this week. Alternately, we could just to something simple, like I take the first disc and you take the second disc? I've never collaborated on a translation before. emot-smile

It's all good. It's not like anyone is standing over me telling me I need to finish X project by Y date. That's why it's a hobby. emot-smile

I think you have the right idea about splitting the script. Actually, what I did on the last script I split was to break it into quarters and assign each (of 2) people 2 alternating quarters. So person 1 takes quarter 1 and 3, and person 2 takes quarter 2 and 4. That way if they each start with their first quarter the first half of the game will be translated by the time they are done, then they do the second half. I don't know if that matters but it seemed like kind of a neat waypoint to set. These scripts are so big, sometimes it really helps to have intermediary goals and some feeling of accomplishment as you go.

I don't completely follow how one uses the program, but a tool to coordinate terms sounds good to me! I guess we also have to make some basic decisions, like what order to put given and last names in, and what to do about honorifics... (I tend to leave them in as-is, but then, I'm lazy. emot-redface)

I'm kind of evangelizing the tool right now. emot-smile I'll probably make a video about how to use it but it's still in alpha so it's a little quirky but I think it's pretty easy to use. I use it for all my translating and it's really handy. I think you'll appreciate it. I'll give you the quick explanation.

It's kind of like a cross between a translation memory and Google translate. The work flow is to copy paste maybe 3 to 20 lines of text into a text area and hit submit. Then the program generates a suggested English translation for each line. You edit the suggested translation via a combination of choosing definitions from dropdown lists, selecting words to use that the translation program may not have chosen properly, and manually editing the line. Then you submit and the translated output is displayed in another text area. The output is recombined with any non-Japanese text that appeared in the original, so it can be really handy if there is a lot of control codes to save you time and headache on formatting. Copy paste your results back into your file and repeat.

The cool thing is that since it's a translation memory too, you enter in your translations for words or phrases to help you build your translated sentence. The more you enter in, the less you have to translate in the future because it will bring your translations up again when you translate that same word or phrase. Like Google translate, it comes up with comical translations much of the time, but a few moments tweaking the translation and you're good to go, with the benefit of having made a deposit toward your future translations. It saves a lot on doing look ups in dictionaries and the more you use it the better it becomes, especially for a given script. The genre and writing style tends to lean towards a certain lexicon and once you've translated the first 1/4-1/3rd of a script, you notice that it starts getting even more accurate on the remainder.

Ok, I guess that was a little long. emot-keke; If you PM me an email address I'll set you up an account so you can check it out.

As for honorifics I'm fine either way. We should probably default to community standards. If Utena fans tend to like honorifics, keep them in. I mostly use Western order of given name, family name, but again, I'd look to community standards. If everyone calls her Lina Inverse, changing it to Inverse Lina probably isn't a good idea (Sorry, Slayers fan).

#318 | Back to Top06-20-2011 08:46:32 PM

Dallbun

esperknight wrote:

For this, is the same video used but different music each time or?  If it's the same music to the same video we could just do it how it's done in the anime and have it subtitled up top I'd think with additional subtitles at the bottom if there's any dialogue.  If nothing else, text files it is then emot-smile

It's been a while, but... my recollection is that Gertzen's Head is mostly played over normal game segments, which then lead into video segments. I don't recall exactly whether it switches to other music for the videos, or what. Also, the game keeps switching between scenes at that point, restarting the music. It's slightly annoying as a player.

Update for the scripts.  I've found out how the names sync up to the sentences so now the majority of them have names attached.  I'm still missing some it seems though as the game doesn't always store them sequentially it seems.  I'll have them uploaded as is now in a little bit. Missing names are marked with unknown.  From there I'll upload them as I get more names added.

Cool. Some lines don't have a name image attached at all, though - anything spoken by the protagonist, for one.

Incidentally, do you know where the text for the player's choices is? I've poked around a bit, but don't see it anywhere.

filler wrote:

I think you have the right idea about splitting the script.

Alright! Your method of splitting it into fourths sounds like a fine starting point. I've already started working from the beginning, so I guess I'd want the first and third fourths, if you don't mind. emot-smile How about...

1st - A0, A1, B0, B1
2nd - B2, C0, C1, C2
3rd - C3, D0, D1, D2
4th - D3, D4, D5, D6, D7

The 4th portion would be a little shorter than the others, but besides that I think they're comparable.

If you PM me an email address I'll set you up an account so you can check it out.

Sure, I'm definitely willing to give it a shot! I'll send you guys a PM shortly.

Speaking of which... actually, I worked through the first text file yesterday, but I'm not sure how to send it to you guys to take a look at. I don't have any web hosting available. Guess we should just exchange e-mails, and I'll mail it directly? It can, of course, be revised again if it needs to be, or re-input into the translation tool or whatever.

By the way - I don't know anything about these things, but I'm a bit worried that I somehow accidentally changed the formatting while saving it in my word processor. When I open any of the non-edited text files in Notepad, the text shows up as a single blocky mess, but when I open one of the ones I edited before, it's all properly divided into lines. Hopefully that's not a problem...?

As for honorifics I'm fine either way. We should probably default to community standards. If Utena fans tend to like honorifics, keep them in. I mostly use Western order of given name, family name, but again, I'd look to community standards. If everyone calls her Lina Inverse, changing it to Inverse Lina probably isn't a good idea (Sorry, Slayers fan).

Honorifics... the Utena community likes them in general, I think. You can't get through the first episode without Anthy's "Saionji-sama" and "Saionji-sempai" being a major plot point, and it doesn't let up afterwards with "Utena-sama" being a thing in the second episode... so the fans tend to be pretty well-grounded in them. I'd almost feel like I was trying to hide something the readers if I took them out.

Names... I'd say are about 50/50 in the Utena community. This site's character intros, for instance, have them last name first, as do the UTP episode scripts hosted here. The official translations, I'm pretty sure are western order. Glancing through the essays on the site, both seem to show up pretty often. People should recognize them just fine either way. I don't have any strong opinions on it.

Feel free to chime in on both of those points, anyone who's reading along.

Incidentally, Inverse Lina is kind of a hilarious name. Because, you know, inverse.

#319 | Back to Top06-21-2011 11:11:36 AM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

You're right then, it may be a bit harder to translate it if it comes in game like that then.  I'd say best thing for that one is to just have it included in a text file.

The players is marked as <Player> I think... but I do have those marked.  It just happened to be that for some lines they went beyond the range of what I had found as I thought I had them all.  It looks like I may be only missing 3 I think... but not sure.  I'm hoping that these also don't change between days or discs but we'll find out emot-smile

For the choices... you know I didn't even realize they didn't get dumped.  Interesting... could you email me some samples if you don't mind?  If they take a bit to get to though we'll grab them after inserting some of the scripts then.  I have a feeling I skipped them by accident as they probably get tacked onto the sentence somehow... we'll see though.

For the formatting, don't worry about it.  The notepad issue is due to the line endings I use.  I think I normally use Unix style while Notepad wants Windows style or I may mix them by accident...  I use EditPad Lite for all my editing and notepad gets used for scratch stuff.  As long as you can open it though it shouldn't matter for us. 

Thanks once again for working on this!

#320 | Back to Top06-21-2011 05:13:58 PM

filler
New Student

Alright! Your method of splitting it into fourths sounds like a fine starting point. I've already started working from the beginning, so I guess I'd want the first and third fourths, if you don't mind. emot-smile How about...

That's perfect.

Speaking of which... actually, I worked through the first text file yesterday, but I'm not sure how to send it to you guys to take a look at. I don't have any web hosting available. Guess we should just exchange e-mails, and I'll mail it directly?

Have you ever used version control? emot-smile Email is fine, but if your adventurous we have a subversion repository set up. It's actually pretty simple. You can think of it like an FTP program. You just pick a folder and tell it to transfer ("FTP") the files there. Then when you are ready to send the files back you "commit" them. Basically this just lets you pick and choose what files to send (out of the files that have been changed) and you write a note about what you did like "Partially translated this block". When you commit, it sends the file so we can get it. Rather than run it in it's own program you "commit" (put) or "update" (get) from the right-click menu. It's pretty cool and not too hard.

#321 | Back to Top06-21-2011 05:28:54 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Please don't put any effort into extracting the video. I've already done it using a batch file and some manual work to combine the video and audio together. The source for the programs was included for one of them. I don't remember specific detail but I think I posted them in this thread. I have the video as .avi files. The files should be the same quality since I avoided re-encoding. If the link I posted in this thread is dead please let me know and I'll get them to you.

For the avi > cpk I think the only tool I found was on the official SDK disc provided to Saturn developers. If I can find the source of an cpk > avi program you might be able to come up with a program.
try this thread
http://www.segasaturno.com/portal/panze … t4145.html
this link appears to have specifications
http://segaxtreme.net/community/topic/6 … vi-to-cpk/

The tool that had source code is called "CPK Viewer". It is several different tools. The source code contains Japanese text and seems to be encoded in shift-JIS. I would recommend that you take a look at "acpk2avi.cxx".
This page will explain more
http://www.satakore.com/news132,,Dezaem … Codes.html

edit geez
just found exactly what you need
AviToSaturn.rar
contains the tool and source however the program has a flaw

One big problem with AvitoSaturn: it compresses EVERY frame as Key frame!! As you need a video with an average bitrate of about 120-140kb/s max with this configuration if you don't want any flickering when running on the Saturn (no matter the screen resolution and the refresh rate), your video must be tiny as hell (mine were 144x120 at 15fps with a compression rate of 2000 in AvitoSaturn).
So I hope some good programmer could modify the source code of AvitoSaturn program, or someone could make a virtual mac os for the MovieToSaturn_J program to be run on the PC.

I can try getting a Macintosh virtual pc running but I don't think I have the skill to modify the program.
How do you want me to send you the file?

Last edited by gpink (06-21-2011 06:04:01 PM)

#322 | Back to Top06-21-2011 08:55:31 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Ok I managed to do some subtitling tests and it looks like the quality hasn't been hurt much if at all. Due to the low resolution I suspect. I only tested using my computer I don't know how to convert to the Sega format. I assumed that re-compressing to cinepak (the original codec) at the same resolution would be a decent test. Seem like my subtitling skills aren't too bad. Given a text transcript I can match it to the video. I could upload a sample if desired but I'm not sure how it would look on a video streaming site.

#323 | Back to Top06-22-2011 06:30:46 AM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Ok I managed to do some subtitling tests and it looks like the quality hasn't been hurt much if at all. Due to the low resolution I suspect. I only tested using my computer I don't know how to convert to the Sega format. I assumed that re-compressing to cinepak (the original codec) at the same resolution would be a decent test. Seem like my subtitling skills aren't too bad. Given a text transcript I can match it to the video. I could upload a sample if desired but I'm not sure how it would look on a video streaming site.

Very awesome!  If nothing else you could upload the subtitled videos to megaupload or mediafire.  I wouldn't think it'd be too big to redownload but not sure.

Thanks for the links, I grabbed that huge save game manager rar that had the programmer SDKs and the source code.  Sadly the specifications linked in one of those posts didn't work but the good thing is I could find it in the wayback archives.  So just in case anyone is looking for the specifications of Cinepak I have them hosted here : cinepak.txt.  I'll post it to RHN as well later.  As well as the tools you linked too.

It's sad for the Saturn there's so little for it... it's odd though as I remember way back in the day that there were a lot more tools around... maybe my memory is off though.  I swore segaxtreme had a lot more listed though.  Now it's just mostly a forum and a small wiki.

Also, the AviToSaturn was in that huge archive on http://www.satakore.com/news132,,Dezaem … Codes.html so I have that one now.  I'll look into maybe making it better but my video programming skills go along with my graphics one so could be a long while emot-smile  I'm curious what a key frame is/does though as Google is not helping much and why it would slow it down.  If worse comes to worse, I guess a virtual mac machine will be the way to go and use that official tool for the Mac since that one seems to work the best I guess.

Thanks for your help!

Edit :

Doing a bit of research it looks like FFMPEG can also decode SEGA FILM/CPK files http://trac.perian.org/browser/ffmpeg/l … segafilm.c.  I'm curious now if it can also convert to them as well... I did see it can convert to Cinepak so may be it's possible...  Hopefully I can get a chance to look at it tonight but if not, I'll look more into it this weekend.

Last edited by esperknight (06-22-2011 06:59:07 AM)

#324 | Back to Top06-22-2011 07:00:45 AM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I'll do a quick explanation of video encoding. Video can be encoded using key-frames also called Intra-frames (I-frames) these are full frames that are large. They contain all the data needed to display the frame P-frames are used between the I frames in-order to save space. They derive their data from the keyframe, hence their name Predictive Frames. Basically the key frames are used as the basis for several smaller frames. As an example with a xvid file typically there will be one key frame every 300 frames. For editing you normally can only cut on the key frames since the frames afterward are dependent on the key frame.
As for the sample video I made a xvid version that look about the same quality wise. This way you don't have to hassle with cinepak. It took me several hours to get cinepak working again.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wnv9luk140b1c99

Last edited by gpink (06-22-2011 07:04:23 AM)

#325 | Back to Top06-22-2011 07:27:06 AM

esperknight
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks!  That makes sense then why it stutters so much and what was meant by it encodes everything as a keyframe.  For the P-Frames are they just used for small changes I'm guessing?  Something like.... someones lips moving?

I'm guessing to fix it then it when converting between the two it should use the same P-Frames that the video does, correct?

Also found this explanation of the code as well which pertains more to the Saturn than the one I linked before : SEGA FILM.

Thanks for the sample also!  When I get home tonight I'll definitely check it out.

Edit :
I just realized you were talking about mixing the audio and video streams.  For Utena does it encode the video separately from the audio then?

Edit Again :

Looking more at the AviToSaturn I think I understand why it does what it does.  From what I can see it uses one of the standard windows libraries to decode the AVI.  The function it uses returns a BMP of the frame he's decoding so it's not going to return the P-Frames at all.  From looking at it on MSDN I don't see a way of getting the I-Frames at all so not sure how easy this would be to fix (besides switching to a different library maybe).

Last edited by esperknight (06-22-2011 08:12:42 AM)

Board footer