This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-21-2010 01:06:38 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Awesome tasty treats that are regrettably in Japanese. Translators?!

Gumi, this is brilliant stuff.  Thank you for your time, expertise, and obsession emot-biggrin

We can probably say that this work is very enthusiastic when regarding the relation between “reality” and “story”.

I think that would be safe.  emot-rolleyes

Here what staff is pursuing is not to make “expression” of something through a story, but to play with the expression itself. In episode 22, “pointing finger mark” which appeared on a screen and pointed at a lipstick stain on a coffee cup or cats outside the window, was invisible. It was to show something, that had no meaning (even if, like Ikuhara-san himself has said on the next page, it had in fact a meaning from storytelling point of view) like it was something very meaningful. Or to emphasize audience’s incapability to understand. In other words, it is interesting because from the storytelling point of view it has no meaning; because the “expression” exists apart from the story - it was to show this sort of thing. It was this kind of a acrobatic (?) playing.

I like the idea that some of the "expression" in SKU is not intended to advance the story, but is there mostly for its own sake.  I like this idea because the fear that it might be true is what leads to analysis.  But I don't think the author of this introductory material is giving Be-Papas enough credit.  Utena has held up to analysis pretty well, and its expression seems to be pretty tight in terms of making sense in the narrative -- at least, if you allow for the symbolic bleeding, the "enthusiasm" of the previous quote.

Saitou – No, no, when it’s the anime that is speeding up I start thinking something like “I’m not gonna lose!” and I gain more motivation for making my manga. I think something like “If anime is going that way, then I’m going this way”.

This quote almost makes me like Chiho Saito.  Not quite, but almost.  emot-smile

I don't know anything about manga; SKU is the only manga I've read, and I haven't even been able to read the fifth and final volume.  I appreciated that the manga was different from the anime, and some of Ms. Saito's innovations are really interesting, particularly in the first issue.  But everything is over so quickly!  Seen side-by-side with the anime, the manga doesn't seem to have any narrative space at all.  No wonder she had to speed it up.

Saitou – So, that finger is showing the passing of time?
Ikuhara – As expected, you’re smart (laugh).

Sounds patronizing to me.  But like Yasha, I'd heard vague rumors already that Ikuhara and Saito didn't get along so well, so it's possible I'm just seeing what I expected to see.

AM – The problem is, what is she wearing during swimming classes?
Hasegawa – It’d be good if she wore a boys’ swimsuit, but please everyone (=readers) make her wear whatever swimsuit you like.

Why, Mr. Hasegawa, I didn't expect this of you! emot-aaa  I wonder why this question had never occurred to me, given the elegance of Hasegawa's answer.  There is official art, found on the trading cards and elsewhere, that shows Utena at the beach in a black bikini (okay, half in a black bikini), but I'd imagine her in a one-piece for swim class.

AM – So does that mean that in the second episode, Saionji who holds “paleozoic within his body” is an ammonite?
Ikuhara – He is an ammonite.
All – (laugh).
Enokido – It means that he’s bound by old-fashioned ideas.

I'm a bad fan; Enokido wasn't even on my radar until now.  He's possibly the most interesting interviewee.  Looking him up on Wikipedia, I see he also wrote Evangelion -- whose writing was good, but not as good as Utena's -- and Ouran High School Host Club, which convinces me that I need to see that show.  I don't know if he's telling the truth about this duel chorus.  The duel choruses in general seem to be pretty good contenders for "expression" unconnected to story.  Some of them really work; others really don't.  It's almost as though Seazer had already written the music, and Be-Papas just matched existing pieces to the duel they'd just animated, like us when we play SKU Themesongs.  But of course that's impossible.

Enokido – I think I’ve already discussed it somewhere before, but I have a particular interest in human relationships at the time when there is no confrontation in them or maybe better said, peaceful human relationships at the time of childhood when there was no confrontation are most easily understandable through the relationship of brother and sister – and that’s why there are so many of them.

This I believe.  That said, given how simple these relationships are supposed to be, it's kind of funny how he goes and complicates all three of SKU's brother-sister relationships into sexually charged, confrontational enigmas!  It's possible Ikuni is also being honest in invoking the idea of princehood in connection with these relationships, but I couldn't really say; you'd have to ask my little brother if there's anything in that.  emot-tongue

Q – What kind of team is Be-Papas for all of you?
Enokido – “How beautiful congeniality is” – something along those lines.

Does anyone know whether Be-Papas ever did anything other than Utena, and if not, why not?  It feels like there is indeed some nice congeniality in this room, and I wonder why they broke up the dream team of Ikuhara, Hasegawa, Enokido, and possibly Saito.

Yasha wrote:

gumi wrote:

Q – Could it be that Chuchu is a very important character who holds a key to the whole story? (reader from Tokyo)
Ikuhara – Giku! (startled) Now, that’s sharp (laugh).

No real answer here. That could imply that there’s more to analytical weight to Chu-chu than previously thought.

No, I think this is Ikuni being patronizing again. emot-smile  Mind you, he's always full of shit until proven otherwise, but he seems to be at the highest risk of goofing off when he's asked a simple question.

Yasha wrote:

Enokido wants a girl who puts out.

Be fair.  He might also just like thirteen-year-olds.  emot-wink

Last edited by satyreyes (09-21-2010 01:11:18 AM)

#27 | Back to Top09-21-2010 02:07:52 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

I'm late to the party, thanks again for translating this for us, gumi!

It's a pretty cool interview. It's especially nice to see some comments by Enokido and Hasegawa translated into English. Producer Okuro Yuuichiro is, as usual, invisible, but oh well.

satyreyes wrote:

I'm a bad fan; Enokido wasn't even on my radar until now.  He's possibly the most interesting interviewee.  Looking him up on Wikipedia, I see he also wrote Evangelion -- whose writing was good, but not as good as Utena's -- and Ouran High School Host Club, which convinces me that I need to see that show.

It would be more accurate to say that he wrote for Evangelion. According to Japanese Wikipedia, he's credited for the scripts of episodes 2, 7, 8, and 11, in each case alongside Hideaki Anno. He did write all of FLCL and the Ouran High School Host club anime, though. (Also, episodes 4, 5, 8, and 20 of RahXephon, and all of a series called The Melody of Oblivion that I haven't really heard of.)

satyreyes wrote:

Does anyone know whether Be-Papas ever did anything other than Utena, and if not, why not?  It feels like there is indeed some nice congeniality in this room, and I wonder why they broke up the dream team of Ikuhara, Hasegawa, Enokido, and possibly Saito.

Nope, they didn't do anything else. To all appearances, they came together to make Utena, made Utena, and then disbanded. I've never read anything addressing the circumstances directly, but it doesn't seem like it was some horrible falling-out. They came back after the series to do the movie, after all.

#28 | Back to Top09-21-2010 04:25:10 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Saitou – So, that finger is showing the passing of time?
Ikuhara – As expected, you’re smart (laugh).

Sounds patronizing to me.  But like Yasha, I'd heard vague rumors already that Ikuhara and Saito didn't get along so well, so it's possible I'm just seeing what I expected to see.

You're gonna think bullshit here, but I swear that if I'd ever heard a rumor that there was tension between Ikuhara and Saito, I had forgotten it so well that their tense interaction surprised me. Specifically hers more than his; Ikuhara is a patronizing asshole pretty much whenever he feels like it. But some of the impression I got from the things Saito was saying were not very indicative of a good working relationship.

Their very first lines are not exactly playful-- Ikuhara is driving the car, and, accounting for translation blips like the 'aren't we? = we are' that shows up so often in japanese, what happens is that Saito says he's going too fast, and he basically replies by disagreeing with her. The interviewer tends to note laughter and smiles, too, and neither are noted here. There aren't very many situations where you would say 'hey you're driving too fast for me' without laughter and not mean it. And his reaction is to brush it off.

If you assume the situation isn't a joking one and boil it down to emotional subtext, the conversation goes:

Saito: 'I'm uncomfortable with this situation.'
Ikuhara: 'You're overreacting.'

To me, that's not what happens when people feel equal in a relationship, whether romantic, work, or otherwise.

Now don't jump the gun! I didn't say this is hard fact or some huuuuuuuuuge deal. I said this is based on an assumption, and I may have no right to make that assumption. But all throughout their interview, I get little odd moments like that, where something could be entirely innocent but it just feels wrong.

But I'm getting too into it here-- my brain wants to go over and break down all the subtext of their conversation. I got about three hundred words in on one exchange alone, and I doubt anyone wants to hear it. Not only that, but I'd need at least one other translation so I could triangulate connotation and exact meanings. English is very bad at exact meanings sometimes. emot-smile

satyreyes wrote:

Yasha wrote:

gumi wrote:

Q – Could it be that Chuchu is a very important character who holds a key to the whole story? (reader from Tokyo)
Ikuhara – Giku! (startled) Now, that’s sharp (laugh).

No real answer here. That could imply that there’s more to analytical weight to Chu-chu than previously thought.

No, I think this is Ikuni being patronizing again. emot-smile  Mind you, he's always full of shit until proven otherwise, but he seems to be at the highest risk of goofing off when he's asked a simple question.

Yeah, Chu-chu having real analytical weight is the comedy option there, but I don't think Ikuhara's full of shit either, exactly. I think that Chu-chu plays a role for Anthy and (some of emot-biggrin) his actions are meant to give insight into her, which kinda means he's a key to the story. Exaggeration of Chu-chu's importance strikes me as typical Ikuhara bullshit to the core. emot-biggrin

satyreyes wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Enokido wants a girl who puts out.

Be fair.  He might also just like thirteen-year-olds.  emot-wink

But Akio is Ikuhara's id! Does this mean Touga is Enokido's id?

(actually, I did get the vibe that Enokido likes Touga quite a bit)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top09-21-2010 07:15:58 AM

lieutenant tangerine
Miki Molester

So I know I'm not around here analyzing things with the rest of you so often, but....

AM – So does that mean that in the second episode, Saionji who holds “paleozoic within his body” is an ammonite?
Ikuhara – He is an ammonite.
All – (laugh).
Enokido – It means that he’s bound by old-fashioned ideas.

OHHHHHHHHH. OKAY.

Seriously, I am happy that had a point.

.....is that a fapping saionji smiley?

#30 | Back to Top09-21-2010 11:13:35 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Dallbun wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Nope, they didn't do anything else. To all appearances, they came together to make Utena, made Utena, and then disbanded. I've never read anything addressing the circumstances directly, but it doesn't seem like it was some horrible falling-out. They came back after the series to do the movie, after all.

For whatever it's worth, Be-Papas did create the manga S&M no Sekai (The World Exists For Me) after they did Utena, though they apparently never finished it.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (09-21-2010 11:15:15 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#31 | Back to Top09-21-2010 03:38:30 PM

Dallbun

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

For whatever it's worth, Be-Papas did create the manga S&M no Sekai (The World Exists For Me) after they did Utena, though they apparently never finished it.

Oh, you're right! For some reason I thought that was just Saito and Ikuhara, but it is credited as a Be-Papas work after all, so maybe the others had some part in it, too.

#32 | Back to Top09-21-2010 05:13:16 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

satyreyes wrote:

This quote almost makes me like Chiho Saito.  Not quite, but almost. emot-smile

I don't know anything about manga; SKU is the only manga I've read, and I haven't even been able to read the fifth and final volume.  I appreciated that the manga was different from the anime, and some of Ms. Saito's innovations are really interesting, particularly in the first issue.  But everything is over so quickly!  Seen side-by-side with the anime, the manga doesn't seem to have any narrative space at all.  No wonder she had to speed it up.

I feel the same way about Saito. But if you haven't read the fifth volume, you're missing out on prince!Anthy and prince!ChuChu. That's got to be the coolest thing Saito's ever done for SKU.

#33 | Back to Top09-22-2010 10:10:32 AM

tuomastahti
Banned
Website

gumi wrote:

I'm posting my translation of  SKU interview from Animage. I divided it similarly to how it's divided in the file.

Thank you very much for your effort. It's always interesting to see these articles.

But whenever I read an interview with Ikuhara, I can't help but wonder: "Can this guy really be the same man who directed the best TV series of all time?" Every interview makes it more and more clear that what makes SkU so brilliant is the unique and well-balanced combination of staff members' personal mindsets, artistic talents and interests, rather than anyone's individual ingenuity.

Last edited by tuomastahti (09-22-2010 11:50:48 AM)

#34 | Back to Top09-22-2010 03:56:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Oh, you're right! For some reason I thought that was just Saito and Ikuhara, but it is credited as a Be-Papas work after all, so maybe the others had some part in it, too.

There's also Shounen Ou, which I think at the very least was written by Enokido and drawn by Hasegawa. Apparently the site with the translations is gone, I'm trying to Wayback Machine it.

Edit: w00t, I got it. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#35 | Back to Top09-22-2010 05:30:32 PM

Zabel Z
Ohtori Paramouri

I didn't tought Saionji was crying neither sweating in the opening of the series, I thought he was spitting. ( just like the rabid movie!saionji)

About Anthy despising Utena, well... Utena told her she would protect Anthy and when she saw Anthy, with that death face with AKio, Utena did.... absolutely nothing. I think it's reasonable

Damm kids, get out of my lawn!!!

#36 | Back to Top09-23-2010 05:00:59 PM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

emot-aaa

This is great, thank you! emot-dance

Now I just wish some noble soul could translate this for us:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7078/mapbz.png

I've always wondered about the location of the different buildings on the map. I mean the cocktower and the yoni-forest are pretty obvious, but where is everything else?

Last edited by Absolute Apocalypse (09-23-2010 05:05:15 PM)

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#37 | Back to Top09-23-2010 05:26:44 PM

Dallbun

Absolute Apocalypse wrote:

Now I just wish some noble soul could translate this for us:

I've always wondered about the location of the different buildings on the map. I mean the cocktower and the yoni-forest are pretty obvious, but where is everything else?

Already been done!

Ohtori's internal geography; or, GET MAP

I think that translation is based on the map in the game booklet, but they cover basically the same stuff, I believe.

#38 | Back to Top09-23-2010 08:20:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

There's at least one dot on that map that isn't on our translated version in any form. Most stuff I can give a good guess at but it looks like this one has slightly different things on it-- possibly more specific ones.

For instance, the top of the tower is marked, so I assume that's the Chairman's Office/Planetarium. There's another dot below that, on the 'shaft' (emot-wink) that I assume is the Student Council Office/Balcony, but it's rather farther up the tower than our other map says (that is not floor 2-6, no sir).

Maybe I should go through and match up the ones I can...

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#39 | Back to Top09-23-2010 08:49:28 PM

Dallbun

Yasha wrote:

For instance, the top of the tower is marked, so I assume that's the Chairman's Office/Planetarium. There's another dot below that, on the 'shaft' (emot-wink) that I assume is the Student Council Office/Balcony, but it's rather farther up the tower than our other map says (that is not floor 2-6, no sir).

Correct. The higher dot on the tower is indeed the Chairman's Office/Planetarium, and the one just below it is the Student Council Meeting Room (with terrace and stained glass. Holy shit, that rose thing above the balcony exit is stained glass?) I guess it makes sense that it's that high up. It's a shame that the balcony faces the dueling forest and we usually see the tower from the other side. emot-frown

Yeah, I guess there are a couple other things marked on this map and not on the game one. Not too exiting, though. There's the Path to the School, which is that main road which goes out the front gate and then veers off to the south (our left). And the Central Entrance Hall, which is that spot just below the Chairman's tower, above the main gate. (EDITED FOR DIRECTIONS. Remembering that that "up" on the map is actually west is so confusing!

One other thing: the spot marked "Cafeteria" on the other map is "Cafe Terrace" here. Which makes sense, I suppose, since the outdoor dining area we see in the series is basically a terrace.

And I'd like to point out that the "Old Fencing Hall" on the translated map is, of course, the chalk-white one that is totally in ruins and always has been. emot-tongue

Last edited by Dallbun (09-24-2010 01:23:21 AM)

#40 | Back to Top09-23-2010 08:57:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Dallbun, you are a ton of awesome. I think I'm gonna finish off this map, as it's a little more specific than the other. I wish I'd had this when writing fic, I hated just arbitrarily assigning locations to things I couldn't find. emot-keke

Edit: Hmm... it's more specific in a few spots, less in others. It's still worthwhile, but the maps should probably be used side by side.

#41 | Back to Top09-23-2010 10:49:46 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Map done.
http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/map2.png

I wish I could read Japanese better.

#42 | Back to Top09-24-2010 12:49:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh hell fuck yes!!  That map says that I guessed right about where the kendo and fencing halls were when I wrote Miracles Never Cease!  emot-dance

#43 | Back to Top09-24-2010 01:24:04 AM

Dallbun

satyreyes wrote:

Oh hell fuck yes!!  That map says that I guessed right about where the kendo and fencing halls were when I wrote Miracles Never Cease!  emot-dance

Well, between Gymnasiums 1 and 2, you had a 50-50 chance... emot-wink

#44 | Back to Top09-24-2010 01:56:31 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dallbun wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Well, between Gymnasiums 1 and 2, you had a 50-50 chance... emot-wink

But I still want to know where the Shadow Girls' theater is.  emot-mad

#45 | Back to Top09-25-2010 07:12:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

And I've also deduced why we all think she says it in the show. One of the essays Gio had written referenced the preview right after discussing the Cantarella conversation. The preview was used to explain what was going on in the conversation because the driving emotions are referenced directly there, and nowhere else. That essay was taken down when we revamped the site waaaaaay back in 2004-5 or so, so it's had a lot of time to get mixed up with the show itself. school-sherlock

So it's all Gio's fault. APOLOGIZE, BITCH. emot-mad

So I've been turning my computer upside down looking for a backup of the old site...I thought I had one. I apparently do not. emot-frown

Kinda rains on my gag relaunch return to 2003 idea. But yes, I do remember using that in one of the essays. I thought it would have been in the Anthy's Malice one but that one's up on the site and it's not there. Maybe an older version of it? I couldn't find it on wayback machine...though I did find the old AUCT layout. Heh, I made bruised and bloody Touga for it. Man I'm sadistic. emot-redface

Fine. My fault. I'M SORRY. For like...not putting a disclaimer wherever I wrote that? emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#46 | Back to Top09-26-2010 04:28:08 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Fine. My fault. I'M SORRY. For like...not putting a disclaimer wherever I wrote that? emot-confused

Your apology is accepted. I think we both pretty clearly remember you writing that part of the essay while chatting with me-- I remember being all WTFWTF when you said it happened, and checking it even then.

Anyway, can't wait for any new material. And satyr, didn't you find out in the other thread that the SPG's theatre was on top of the gym? Something to do with wall patterns?

#47 | Back to Top10-12-2010 11:25:03 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I don't know if he's telling the truth about this duel chorus.  The duel choruses in general seem to be pretty good contenders for "expression" unconnected to story.  Some of them really work; others really don't.  It's almost as though Seazer had already written the music, and Be-Papas just matched existing pieces to the duel they'd just animated, like us when we play SKU ThemesongsBut of course that's impossible.

I read this question out loud, and a really really delicious person told me "You best be joking" to that bold part.

"Especially the last one."

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#48 | Back to Top10-12-2010 11:33:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I was joking about the impossible part.  My best understanding, I think from Gio, is that that's exactly what they did.  Is that wrong?

#49 | Back to Top10-13-2010 12:17:45 AM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I think its sorta what they did. And that's okay either way, because the delicious one is asleep and can't get to you now anyway. I think. You never know really. D:

I'm going to explain this without allegoriest. Lets see if I can do it.
I think I can. I've asked for this explanation a million times. D:

The first season's songs are all old Seazer songs, that are arranged by Shinkichi Mitsumune.

The second season's are still old Seazer ones, but I think they have Ikuhara and company singing, or something like that. The arrangements aren't as silly anymore.

The last two seasons are original songs. They're done by Seazer's theater group. I think Mikage's duel song might be too.

Except Missing Link, which is an old song. But since its an older one done by his group, its on the 4th CD with the other remixes by the group.

I used to have decent basic Japanese, but I lived and practiced with a Seazer translator.
Now I only have terror left. : (

I never had that opinion about that song anyway. I've been under the basic impression that the ammonite thing is something about rebirth and death. And that has nothing to do with Saionji really. I might have been listening to delicious propaganda though. But if they're going to pin on a reason for songs, I want one for everyone.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#50 | Back to Top10-13-2010 12:38:07 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Thank you for the education, Angel!  That helps explain why the third season's songs have shifted in complexity from the first season's.

I used to have decent basic Japanese, but I lived and practiced with a Seazer translator.
Now I only have terror left. : (

This should be a sig.

Board footer