This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-25-2016 08:31:22 PM

AnxiousForLife
New Student

[RECRUITING] Starting a new translation of the anime and music lyrics

My entirely too long proposal and explanations can be found here:https://www.reddit.com/r/shoujokakumeiu … lation_of/
Just wanna keep everything in the same place, also it's more likely I'll see responses there since I've never used this site before...

#2 | Back to Top10-25-2016 09:54:42 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: [RECRUITING] Starting a new translation of the anime and music lyrics

I know you said reddit is a better place for a response, but I don't use reddit and don't really want to make an account just for this. Sorry! emot-redface

Sounds like a noble goal! Have you already checked all the available scripts, though? The Utena Translation Project scripts (now hosted on ohtori.nu) address many (all?) of your specific listed concerns with the Nozomi subs - the singular "End of the World," the phrase "Law(s) of the Rose Seal" and the Shadow Girls' and Juri's lines about it, the misattribution of the princess's "Pray, shall we meet again?" in the opening... all are better handled in the UTP script.

And as it happens, the UTP translation has already been used in a fan-compiled DVD version of Utena that was shared on the Asian DVD Club website shortly after the remastered DVDs were released. If you just take those subs and punch up the dialogue wherever you feel like it needs it, I think you'll save yourself a lot of hassle. If you properly credit UTP for the groundwork, I doubt anyone would have any problem with it. emot-smile

As for the songs, yeah, they desperately need another pass.

Last edited by Dallbun (10-26-2016 05:24:51 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-26-2016 12:03:05 PM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

I'm curious, has anyone ever turned the UTP scripts into actual subtitles? Can't find info on anyone trying.

#4 | Back to Top10-26-2016 05:24:24 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

They have. At the very least, there was a fan-compiled DVD version torrented on Asian DVD Club after the remasters were released in Japan, but before they were released here. They had the UTP subs as well as the old English DVD ones. There may be other versions out there, I don't know.

Last edited by Dallbun (10-26-2016 06:56:33 PM)

#5 | Back to Top11-05-2016 04:59:44 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Yes, that fan compiled DVD remaster does seem to have the UTP subs on it.  I tried to find a set of straight .srt files for this translation a while back but was unsuccessful.

Since that release came out with .isos of the Japanese DVD remaster discs, I ran into problems with pulling .srts out; the method I've seen pulled out one srt file for the whole disc, which included all 3-4 EPs at once.  Plus, whatever OCR method used by the software I employed ended up generating a bunch of junk in mismatched characters. 

Eventually, I gave up due to time constraints, but I think what Dalbun suggested is probably the fastest route for someone that has the time and inclination.

TLDR: extracting subs from DVDs is a pita and your best bet is probably editing existing srt files to retain timing in a text editor with the UTP translations posted.

Last edited by cscratch (11-05-2016 05:03:46 PM)

#6 | Back to Top12-01-2016 05:08:09 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

!!! I would love to help with this.
I don't know Japanese, but I have spent so much time and dedication doing as much research as I can on Utena and specifically the duel lyrics that I have a lot of background knowledge by this point. For example, I figured out the Archibras thing as well (can provide proof if required), and the Borges reference that confused everyone attempting to translate The Sea Moon Dies in Indigo (from the Rose Egg Sophia CD).

Board footer