This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-20-2010 06:14:27 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Chances of divorce- 167 percent for lesbian couples.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- … divorce/3/

Chances of divorce

1. If you're a married American, your marriage is between 40 and 50 percent likely to end in divorce.

2. If you live in a red state, you're 27 percent more likely to get divorced than if you live in a blue state.

??? Don't Republicans basically preach the "sanctity" of marriage?

5. If only one partner in your marriage is a smoker, you're 75 percent to 91 percent more likely to divorce than smokers who are married to fellow smokers.

Don't get this one...

11. If you're of "below average" intelligence, you're 50 percent more likely to be divorced than those of "above average" intelligence.

lol

15. If you're in a male same-sex marriage, it's 50 percent more likely to end in divorce than a heterosexual marriage. If you're in a female same-sex marriage, this figure soars to 167 percent.

Woah wonder what's up with the huge number for lesbian couples.

Last edited by chrisb (05-20-2010 06:15:08 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top05-20-2010 06:47:22 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Re: Chances of divorce- 167 percent for lesbian couples.

For some reason religious people divorce more often than atheists, or so the statistics say. It baffles me, as well. It might have more to do with the social status than anything else, though.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#3 | Back to Top05-20-2010 07:23:58 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

According to that article, being a twin makes me responsible for my parents divorce. Couldn't have been because my father was an abusive alcoholic. Nosiree. emot-rolleyes

#4 | Back to Top05-20-2010 08:13:20 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Razara wrote:

According to that article, being a twin makes me responsible for my parents divorce. Couldn't have been because my father was an abusive alcoholic. Nosiree. emot-rolleyes

Oh, I think that one partner being an abusive alcoholic also raises your statistical chances of divorce.

...although not nearly as much as it should. emot-frown

#5 | Back to Top05-20-2010 08:14:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yeah, I'd be interested to see how much "being an asshole" raises the probability of divorce by.  emot-rolleyes

It's interesting if it's true that same-sex couples get divorced more often (at least, in Norway and Sweden, where this study was conducted)!  I can think of a few explanations.  The most probable is that most gay couples don't have children.  According to the same study that produced the 167% statistic, only 5% of male couples and 22% of female couples in the U.S. adopt children -- while 43% of straight married couples have kids in the household, according to the Census Bureau.*  No children means that partners who want to split up don't feel obliged to stay together for the sake of their family.  Divorce is a lot less complicated without children involved.

Another possibility: gay marriage is a much younger institution than straight marriage.  Possibly opposite-sex partners are more likely to go into marriage with similar expectations for the relationship than gay partners.  Gay marriages might be more unstable because there aren't centuries of cultural precedent for how they work.

Another possibility: gays tend to err on the liberal side of the political spectrum, partly because the conservative side won't have them.  All else (income, age, etc.) being equal, liberals are less likely than conservatives to think marriage is an especially sacred institution, and may be more willing to dissolve it.  This is a tricky hypothesis to test; red states actually see more divorces than blue states, but that could be because marriages in red states tend to be between poorer and younger couples.

Just throwing ideas out there.  emot-smile

* I calculated this number by dividing the number of two-parent households with their own children under eighteen by the total number of married-couple households.

Last edited by satyreyes (05-20-2010 09:13:00 PM)

#6 | Back to Top05-20-2010 08:53:34 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I would definitely like to know how likely divorce is for couples with children vs. those without, I would expect that to be a pretty significant correlation. Good call there satyr.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top05-20-2010 09:46:29 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

chrisb wrote:

2. If you live in a red state, you're 27 percent more likely to get divorced than if you live in a blue state.

This one's easy, actually.

The top state for divorce in the U.S. is Nevada, because... well, because it's Nevada.  The next ten states are Arkansas, Alabama, Wyoming, Idaho, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, and Arizona.  These ten are all red states, except for Florida, which is purple.  Apart from Florida and possibly Arizona, they are also ten of the poorest, least educated, and most rural states in the country.  Culturally, they cling more closely to the old ideal that women should marry young, poop out babies, and become stay-at-home mothers, a model that no longer seems to work very well for many families, particularly with job security having gone the way of the Sega Genesis.  The South also has a large share of African-Americans, while Florida and Arizona have lots of Latinos; in both cases, the minority culture is traditionally disempowered, and their communities are prone to instability for a host of reasons (none of which, of course, have to do with genetics).  For all these reasons and then some, these states see a lot of child abuse, spousal abuse, and substance abuse.  Hence the high divorce rates.

Yeah, Republican thought-leaders -- politicians, religious demagogues, FOX commentators -- preach the sanctity of marriage a lot.  But actual red-state residents have severe demographic challenges and can't afford to practice what their (much richer and better-educated, and still multiply-divorced) leaders are preaching.

#8 | Back to Top05-21-2010 08:16:53 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

chrisb wrote:

15. If you're in a male same-sex marriage, it's 50 percent more likely to end in divorce than a heterosexual marriage. If you're in a female same-sex marriage, this figure soars to 167 percent.

Woah wonder what's up with the huge number for lesbian couples.

Bollocks to that. I aren't listening to nowt like that based on one study by one group of people.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#9 | Back to Top05-21-2010 11:49:45 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

particularly with job security having gone the way of the Sega Genesis

H-hey! I like the Sega Genesis. emot-frown Random funny note: I put up with rampant, explicit sexual harassment in the name of job security. emot-rolleyes

satyreyes wrote:

Apart from Florida and possibly Arizona, they are also ten of the poorest, least educated, and most rural states in the country.  Culturally, they cling more closely to the old ideal that women should marry young, poop out babies, and become stay-at-home mothers, a model that no longer seems to work very well for many families, particularly with job security having gone the way of the Sega Genesis.  The South also has a large share of African-Americans, while Florida and Arizona have lots of Latinos; in both cases, the minority culture is traditionally disempowered, and their communities are prone to instability for a host of reasons (none of which, of course, have to do with genetics).  For all these reasons and then some, these states see a lot of child abuse, spousal abuse, and substance abuse.  Hence the high divorce rates.

I would also add that literate groups are less likely to divorce strictly for practical reasons, above and beyond children. I've run into, a few times, an interesting practice among the rich--the functional divorce, where the actual legalization of the divorce would disrupt finances, living arrangements, etc, etc, too much to be worth the assault on two very busy careers. So they basically live together (or apart) and do as they like, but legally stay married for tax, financial, etc, reasons. I wouldn't assume this is statistically significant, but it's worth noting for the commentary there on how marriage is used in different cultural/class groups.

Although definitely, kids are probably the deciding factor in the statistics here. Kids make a divorce prohibitively messy for some families. Others do it anyway when they really shouldn't. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top05-21-2010 03:43:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Apart from Florida and possibly Arizona, they are also ten of the poorest, least educated, and most rural states in the country.

The Phoenix area is very cosmopolitan. The rest of Arizona has quite a bit of rural poverty, poor education, etc. And, Mormons. Lots of Mormons everywhere. Except they don't get divorced. Colorado City is half in Arizona.

#11 | Back to Top05-21-2010 04:49:00 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Apart from Florida and possibly Arizona, they are also ten of the poorest, least educated, and most rural states in the country.

The Phoenix area is very cosmopolitan. The rest of Arizona has quite a bit of rural poverty, poor education, etc. And, Mormons. Lots of Mormons everywhere. Except they don't get divorced. Colorado City is half in Arizona.

Mmm hmm, Phoenix is why I said "possibly" emot-smile  Phoenicians live in one of the biggest cities in the country.  The rest of Arizona, though, as you say... not so much!

#12 | Back to Top05-21-2010 11:18:01 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Trench Kamen wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Mmm hmm, Phoenix is why I said "possibly" emot-smile  Phoenicians live in one of the biggest cities in the country.  The rest of Arizona, though, as you say... not so much!

Something like 60% of the Arizona population lives in either the Phoenix area or Tucson.

#13 | Back to Top05-26-2010 05:16:51 PM

minervana
High Tripper

chrisb wrote:

11. If you're of "below average" intelligence, you're 50 percent more likely to be divorced than those of "above average" intelligence.

This is why I have a strong antipathy for journalists and non-scientific journalism. This is such a crazy oversimplification, and so fuzzy, it gives the lay reader a completely inaccurate impression of the world. Putting "below average" and "above average" in quotes is also unbelievably inane, as if intelligence is a pretense with no scientific or neurological grounding. Bollocks!

Let me explain: someone with an IQ of 97 is one point below the American average in intelligence; someone with an IQ of 99 is one point above. It doesn't therefore follow that the former is 50% more likely to get divorced than the latter. IQ fluctuates during a person's lifetime, not wildly, but enough that someone could be above and below the average within a decade. Too, about 2/3 of the population lies within one standard deviation of the average, with other 1/3 being either really bright or really stupid. A more conscientious reporter would break this down and try to show how a low IQ increases the divorce rate, and whether the IQ-divorce probability relationship is constant throughout the bell curve.

Of course it's possible that the author wrote something like this, the editor took one look at it, said "What is this, Turkish?" and watered it down into the pablum that is that article.

Apologies for being slightly off topic, but statistical malfeasance is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Last edited by minervana (05-26-2010 09:18:23 PM)

#14 | Back to Top05-27-2010 06:00:56 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

167% chance for divorce if you are a lesbian huh?

Does that mean that out of any 5 divorces, only 3 of them bothered to get married first?

#15 | Back to Top05-27-2010 10:05:20 PM

LectitoErgoSum
Juri Jeerer

I spent about five minutes trying to figure out how more lesbians could get divorced than were married, before I actually looked at the top post and realized it was as compared to heterosexual couples.

Who the gods would destroy, they first:
(a) make great (b) give television (c) hand the celestial equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side

#16 | Back to Top05-27-2010 10:06:02 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Yes, 8 out of every 5 lesbian marriages end in divorce. Maybe lesbian divorce is just such a good time that they like to skip the marriage. :p. But seriously, I don't really see how this makes any sense. My mother is a lesbian, and she's in one of the healthiest relationships I know.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#17 | Back to Top05-30-2010 05:41:37 PM

Ruggahissy
Ballgoer

Well it makes sense that lower intelligence couples have higher rates of divorce. Seems like they would be less willing to try and understand the other partner and work things out.

Now that is strange about the lesbian divorce figure. During one of my sociology classes (can't remember which one) I read that lesbians are actually more likley to stick to one partner and stay with them longer than gay and heterosexual couples. I wish I could find a refernce to back this claim up but my book for that class is burried in storage.

#18 | Back to Top05-30-2010 07:02:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

minervana wrote:

Let me explain: someone with an IQ of 97 is one point below the American average in intelligence; someone with an IQ of 99 is one point above. It doesn't therefore follow that the former is 50% more likely to get divorced than the latter. IQ fluctuates during a person's lifetime, not wildly, but enough that someone could be above and below the average within a decade. Too, about 2/3 of the population lies within one standard deviation of the average, with other 1/3 being either really bright or really stupid. A more conscientious reporter would break this down and try to show how a low IQ increases the divorce rate, and whether the IQ-divorce probability relationship is constant throughout the bell curve.

Wasn't the IQ scale designed for 100 to be average with a normal distribution? BTW, I wanted to join Mensa since my original IQ test qualifies me, but since I don't have the record of the actual psychologist who gave it, I'd have to retake it. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't score high enough now. emot-frown

For content...is there also a relation between higher intelligence and less marriage in the first place, thus less divorce? The more intelligent, the more likely you're a career-minded freak of a workaholic, and those people don't marry as much I think. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#19 | Back to Top05-31-2010 03:06:11 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Holy shit, well, apparently my parents have a 414% chance of divorce if you add those together. And it didn't even have anything to do with being an OMG alcoholic.

Of course, I'm fairly certain my parents wouldn't ever divorce no matter how they'd hate eachother, cause their families have wanted that forever, and they'd probably make themselves miserable to make their families miserable.

but how many of these people get back together and find love again? It makes it sound like OUR KIDS WILL HAVE NO PARENTS, IN THE FUTURE EVERYONE WILL BE DIVORCED.

...Now I'm deathly curious as to the REAL statistics of Nevada. Like, the normal people and all. I mean, there have to be some there.

[edit:] What IS the Mensa eligible IQ?
...Of course, I'd never join, cause, in Spanish, I think mensa means idiot. At least, my girlfriend would call people that instead of idiot, and LOTS of other people do. And I'd just get made fun of too much. emot-gonk

Last edited by allegoriest (05-31-2010 03:07:56 PM)

#20 | Back to Top05-31-2010 06:05:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

allegoriest wrote:

[edit:] What IS the Mensa eligible IQ?
...Of course, I'd never join, cause, in Spanish, I think mensa means idiot. At least, my girlfriend would call people that instead of idiot, and LOTS of other people do. And I'd just get made fun of too much. emot-gonk

It depends on the test.  Different variations on the IQ test set the standard deviation in different places, so one test's 120 might be another test's 130.  Mensa takes only the top two percent, regardless of the test.  The most common number, though, is 132.  I used to be a member, but I only ever went to one meeting, and it wasn't that much fun because I was a lot younger than everyone else and nervous.  Also because the only thing people in Mensa have in common is their IQ, which really doesn't say much about how people get along socially.  :\

Edit for topic: Gio, it's probably true that people with high IQs don't get married as often as people with low IQs, but there's no obvious reason that would affect their divorce rate (defined as the proportion of marriages that end in divorce).  I like Ruggahissy's communication theory better.

Last edited by satyreyes (05-31-2010 06:08:41 PM)

#21 | Back to Top05-31-2010 07:58:23 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Maybe they're in all these intelligence groups and argue WELL I'M HIGHER THAN YOU, and it leads to divorces around them.

Really? That's not that high. I was invited a few years back, and I declined, since I wouldn't be caught dead in a group called 'mensa.' emot-gonk I haven't taken an IQ test in a few years though, so I'm unsure of mine now. :\

Board footer