This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-23-2017 11:27:08 PM

SapphicDysphoria
New Student

Anime or Manga - Which one is more analytical/relevant/referenced?

As I skimmed this website for the first time today, I noticed that there is a section under context and introduction on the analysis page that describes the differences between the anime and the manga, the latter of which I haven't yet read. As someone considering writing an essay of my own on Utena, I'd thought about just reading the manga instead of rewatching all 39 episodes of the anime, so I have a few questions now.

Which adaption is most frequently referenced in essays on Utena–the anime or the manga? Which one is more easily analyzed? And lastly, which one is more relevant to discussion?

While I have a feeling the answer might be the anime for all three, I figured it would be worth it to ask so I could get the perspectives of those of you who have experienced both.

"There is only one person who you can each truly love. It’s too bad that you can’t change who that person is. If you could, the you both would be a lot happier."

#2 | Back to Top01-24-2017 07:36:39 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Anime or Manga - Which one is more analytical/relevant/referenced?

SapphicDysphoria wrote:

Which adaption is most frequently referenced in essays on Utena–the anime or the manga?

No contest here - the anime is more frequently written about by far. The manga doesn't attract nearly the same amount of discourse. That appears to be the case in Japanese as well.

Which one is more easily analyzed?

It's very possible the manga is more easily analyzed: it's much shorter and less ambiguous in many places. Unless by "more easily analyzed" you mean that there is more to talk about, in which case my opinion is that the anime wins here as well.

And lastly, which one is more relevant to discussion?

I'm not certain I understand this question. In one sense, the anime is more "relevant to discussion" because far, far more people care about the anime than the manga. It's hard to discuss the manga even on this, the longest-running Utena fan discussion venue, just because so comparatively few people have read it or have much to say about it. If you mean to ask which is more worth discussing, that's subjective but I personally think the anime has far more interesting themes and execution than the manga.

Really, in the end, they're just two different works. If you're "considering writing an essay of (your) own on Utena," an essay about the manga is not at all the same thing as an essay about the anime or an essay comparing and contrasting the two.

If you have access to the manga, I'd suggest reading it yourself just so you know what it's deal is. It can be heard to track down in English at this moment, but I think it's supposed to be re-released in a box set next month, so your interest is well-timed!

#3 | Back to Top01-24-2017 12:29:30 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Consider the manga more as a short alternate take on the story, instead of a full-fledged "alternative" to the show. The anime goes a lot father into, well, everything.

im a shadow play girl irl

#4 | Back to Top01-28-2017 05:46:45 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Sadly, the manga is much shorter and more simplistic. It has its moments, such as Anthy proudly getting a 0 on her quiz, but I remember lending the manga to someone at my high school, and not being really offended by her saying that she'd read better manga, since the manga really could be better. Also, there's no Shiori in the manga, so fuck that. emot-mad

#5 | Back to Top01-29-2017 12:26:48 AM

SapphicDysphoria
New Student

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it might be worthwhile to read the manga, but not necessarily to substitute for rewatching the anime series emot-smile I probably wouldn't like the manga much personally, since Juri and Shiori's relationship has always been one of my favorite aspects of Utena and I don't like the idea of an AU in which that doesn't exist.

"There is only one person who you can each truly love. It’s too bad that you can’t change who that person is. If you could, the you both would be a lot happier."

#6 | Back to Top01-29-2017 03:28:33 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

SapphicDysphoria wrote:

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it might be worthwhile to read the manga, but not necessarily to substitute for rewatching the anime series emot-smile I probably wouldn't like the manga much personally, since Juri and Shiori's relationship has always been one of my favorite aspects of Utena and I don't like the idea of an AU in which that doesn't exist.

The fact that Shiori doesn't exist has always been my biggest issue with the manga, as well, but if you have the opportunity, I'd say it's still worth reading. It's not the best thing ever for JurixShiori fans, but Utena as a whole still has enough awesome aspects to stand on its own in the manga without my favorite parts of the series.

#7 | Back to Top02-15-2017 07:21:48 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think the movie and the manga are each very pared down versions of the show, though I know the manga and the series more or less developed alongside each other. But it's interesting to note what pieces of fat each version trims to fit the series into their respective formats. Shiori is a casualty of Saito's reading, very present in the movie. The movie collapses under the weight of the cast it makes sure to smash into the short span of the movie, but is happy to throw away a lot of the broader story.

The cast size for the series would have been manageable in one of those massive like 18 book manga series like Sailor Moon or Fushigi Yuugi, but Saito kept to a much shorter series. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Saito favors that shorter format? I don't know that she's done any large scale epics. The manga gets less air time I think in part because it's just not as analytically rich. The metaphors it uses are expanded on better in the series, and it's clearer about the actually 'story' surrounding the main cast, kind of to the detriment of the death-of-the-author type of analysis we love to indulge in in the series. There's no point in discussing, for example, the nature of Akio and Dios because the manga explicitly breaks that down for us. The show does not, so there's more to talk about.

I'm kind of mean to the manga, and I probably shouldn't be, but it always struck me as shoujo through and through, where the series wears a shoujo suit that you can peel off and find a naked body that stands on its own, totally apart from the genre trappings. I need to reread it, but I recall when I did so that I was struck by how often the series subverts the content of the manga, like bePapas used it as something to creatively rebel against.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer