This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-18-2015 05:29:01 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

Othello, and Episode 33

(( Hey all,

EDIT: Fixed a name error.

EDIT X2: Fixed several name errors.  Great... now I look foolish.

Okay, I know I'm brand new here, but... I want to share this idea I had about the Othello game from Episode 33.

1) At a quick glance, while Utena is winning at first, her pieces are not placed to continue to win.  And, when she looks away from the board to address the camera, even in that brief moment, when she looks back at the board, she's all but lost the game.

2) At one point she mentions "Oh, an opening", which is true.  The lower right corner can be had, locking that section for Utena.  Having a piece in a corner is one of the strongest moves in the game, though it doesn't tend to show its power until the end-game part of Othello.  Instead, based on the next time the board is shown, she must have fallen for the "most pieces to flip" trap of rookies (It has already been demonstrated that Utena is a sophomore, so the possibility she feel for the trap is pretty high).    It can also be said she gave up her "future" for a gain in the present.  In other words, she's trading keeping herself pure for her Prince (future) to be with Akio (present), which is represented in the ending piece count.

3) At the end of the game Utena can have 4 pieces at most, as she has two on the board, there are two open spaces left, and it looks like it is her turn.  Putting her piece down on one of the spaces lets her switch one of the black pieces back to White… and keeps Black from taking any more of her pieces, as the other open square is blocked off.

4) So, what do these last, four pieces represent? There is the possibility here that it is, oddly, a true-future hope spot in all this downward spiral in her eagerness to show her love to Akio.  Even though she's lost the game, she hasn't lost completely.  In other words, she may have lost the battle, but still may be able to, somehow, win the war against all odds.

5) As such, I think the four pieces that she ended with represent her idea Prince, her idea of a Princess, the universal fairy-tail idea of Hope, and her actual self starting to emerge via her friendship with Anthy, as those 4 pieces are at the core, i.e. "heart", of the board.  Especially if you consider her changing a black piece to white as her rescuing herself. (Not Prince Utena or Princess Utena, but subconsciously saving Utena-Utena).  Utena might still be able to accomplish her dream.

6) More importantly, despite all the failures this episode rapidly shows Utena having, Othello is a game of "change".  For the first time, Utena isn't being her fanciful image of a Prince or a Princess. Utena is becoming something entirely herself.  She's not putting on a mask to be something she's not.  She's not being a Prince.  She's not being a Princess.  Utena's actually starting to be herself, which does show a quiet growth and maturation not often seen at Ohtori Academy.

7) Also, she might still "snatch victory from the jaws of defeat" later on.

8) So, weirdly, while the Othello game shows the rapidly growing danger of what Utena is really about to do, it… also shows that Utena still hasn't been twisted to the point of breaking.

My question to you all, is... does this make any sense?  I'm... pretty sure in the 20+ years the show has been around, my thought isn't unique.  But... I haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

Anyway, just a quick thought.  So, what do you all think?

Caroline's-Real-World-Avatar ))

Last edited by CarolineWellwater (10-18-2015 07:00:38 PM)

#2 | Back to Top10-18-2015 08:49:13 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Othello, and Episode 33

As someone who's currently rewatching the show with a friend, but hadn't gotten that far yet, I'm grateful for the information. I'd never paid any mind to the game itself, there's too much else in those scenes that demands rapt attention, but I have no doubt that the situation of the game was engineered to have a meaning, and your interpretation syncs up perfectly with the overall tone of what occurs in episode 33: a mistake, and a grave one certainly, but not something that ruined Utena forever. On the contrary, the encounter with Akio in episode 33 is pivotal to Utena's eventual spiritual victory over him, as it gives her greater knowledge and insight into both him, and herself.

Thanks a lot for posting this.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-18-2015 08:50:23 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-18-2015 11:34:16 PM

Riddle of Epicurus
Miki Molester

I thought this was going to be about the Shakespeare play. emot-tongue Is Othello another name for Go?  Because I'm pretty sure that's what they were playing.

#4 | Back to Top10-19-2015 12:12:48 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Riddle of Epicurus wrote:

I thought this was going to be about the Shakespeare play. emot-tongue Is Othello another name for Go?  Because I'm pretty sure that's what they were playing.

Ah, it isn't? That's what I was assuming, but now that I look up "Othello game", it apparently isn't.

...in which case, I will regretfully have to take back what I said. They are absolutely playing Go, so if that isn't the game you were describing, then...

#5 | Back to Top10-19-2015 05:45:33 AM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey Aelanie and Riddle of Epicurus,

My fault.  I wasn't really that familiar with Go, and... so I thought they were playing the game Othello.

But... I don't think they're playing Go.  I went back and rewatched the scene, again.  And... here are some other reasons why I think they're playing Othello (or Reversi)

First, the board is 8 x 8.  I think the smallest Go board I've seen is 9 x 9.

Next, the first time you see the board, it looks like this:

G = open space
B = Black tile
W = White Tile

ABCDEFGHI
1GGGGGGGG
2GGWGGGGG
3GGGWBWGG
4GGGBWGGG
5GGGWBGGG
6GGWGBBGG
7GGGGGGBG
8GGGGGGGG

Sorry about the bad picture of it.  Anyway, one of the reasons I thought it was Othello was that A-4 and B-5 were Black while A-5 and B-4 were white.  That's the initial 4 pieces set onto the Othello board, before you start the game.

In addition, the tiles are set into the green squares, not at where the diving lines cross.  Also, the board appears to be green felt.

The next board looks like this:

ABCDEFGHI
1GGGGGGGG
2GGWGGGWG
3GGWWBBGB
4GWWBWWGW
5GGWWBWWW
6GGBWBBGW
7GWGGGGBG
8GGGGGGGG

Again, sorry about the typing of it.

Anyway... I think this does lead to some impossible moves in Othello / Reversi (I'd have to actually set the board up to see if I could go from Board 1 to Board 2)... but, to me, they're playing Go like its Othello.

So... maybe they mixed Othello and Go, so as to add a spot of ambiguity as well?

EDIT: Thought about this while at work today.  Anyway, I looked up some info about Go, in comparison to Othello.  Maybe that's the whole point of the board game.  Go and Othello look very similar, but play completely differently.  So... maybe Utena is playing one "game", while Akio is playing another, yet Utena thinks they are both playing the same thing.  If that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm sorry I messed up Go and Othello. ))

Last edited by CarolineWellwater (10-19-2015 06:42:59 PM)

#6 | Back to Top10-20-2015 09:19:45 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Aelanie wrote:

Riddle of Epicurus wrote:

Ah, it isn't? That's what I was assuming, but now that I look up "Othello game", it apparently isn't.

...in which case, I will regretfully have to take back what I said. They are absolutely playing Go, so if that isn't the game you were describing, then...

CarolineWellwater wrote:

Anyway, I'm sorry I messed up Go and Othello. ))

Oh, no, you absolutely didn't mess them up. Aelanie and Epicurus, you two happen to be mistaken. They are unarguably not playing Go, they are playing Othello, just as CarolineWellwater says. Green squares, 8 by 8, pieces placed in the squares and not on the intersections, trays of double-sided pieces to the side of the board, etc.

I don't have much to add about the progression of the game. I always assumed that the game referred to her feeling cornered into sex by the situation they find themselves in. but I think your initial analyses seem reasonable. I think you're right to focus on the couple of remaining white pieces and a play to make. Since the game state is completely unreasonable anyway, it would have been easy enough for the animators to make the board all black, or have one piece completely surrounded with no plays remaining.

Last edited by Dallbun (10-20-2015 09:20:34 PM)

#7 | Back to Top10-21-2015 10:20:54 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Agreed; they are playing Othello, no doubt at all about that.  And that's a more obviously resonant choice than Go anyway; Othello, unlike Go, is a game where white can become black and vice versa.  It would be possible (even interesting!) to construct a Go game that had symbolic resonance with the situation -- have a white formation that seemed to be alive, but could be subverted and killed.  But understanding that symbolism would take more expertise on the part of the audience.

Dallbun describes the game as "completely unreasonable;" let's add "impossible." emot-smile  Here are two of the board states:

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/33/Series_ep33_074.jpg?m=1380825118

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/33/Series_ep33_076.jpg?m=1380825118

One impossibility here is the transformation of the piece on c3 (the far bottom left piece in the first picture) from white to black.  It can't have been flipped through a vertical, horizontal, or down-diagonal move, because in the second picture there are no pieces to its left, bottom, top-left, or bottom-right.  It would have had to be flipped through an up-diagonal move.  But for that to happen, Akio would have had to place a black stone on b2 (far bottom left in the second picture).  In fact, the stone on b2 is white, and because c3 is the only stone touching it, there's no way the b2 stone could have been black in the first place.  This Othello game could not happen in reality -- or else Akio is cheating.  (But we knew that already.  emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue)

ETA that I am giggling while imagining that Utena has no idea how to play Othello but is faking it because she doesn't want to look bad in front of the long-legged older man, so she's just moving randomly while Akio does whatever he pleases with the pieces on the board.

Last edited by satyreyes (10-21-2015 10:27:51 AM)

#8 | Back to Top10-22-2015 12:01:04 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I'd like to see Akio go against Orihara Izaya from Durarara!!
Izaya's board is usually like this:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100305204916/durarara/images/thumb/5/57/Durarara!!_E09_09m_11s.jpg/500px-Durarara!!_E09_09m_11s.jpg

And he's likely to burn it down. emot-keke A delicious mixture of insanity and genius, Izaya is.

Board footer