This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-25-2015 01:42:01 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Moon Animate Make-Up! Hilarious Sailor Moon re-make

So the Sailor Scouts are back, and this time -- a large group of animators got together to do different clips from an episode and piece together some hilarious work. Each used a different style and got a different clip to piece together the entire episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

Stupid Sexy Squidward Mercury is probably my favorite though.

Last edited by KissFromARose (07-25-2015 01:43:47 PM)

#2 | Back to Top07-25-2015 11:52:15 PM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Re: Moon Animate Make-Up! Hilarious Sailor Moon re-make

I find this incredibly un-artistic, and insulting to the original.
the style in most cases is aesthetically unattractive.

I have seen gazillion of so called super fans of Sailor moon, liking this, and HATE on crystal.
which pisses me off so much.

these animators should stick to their origins and make cartoons and leave anime alone.

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#3 | Back to Top07-26-2015 12:59:05 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Well I for one like this animation project. emot-smile I can really appreciate the effort that went into it.
I'll admit my one main gripe is that Sailor Jupiter is portrayed as a guy frequently and it's kind of insulting to her character.

I 100% disagree that this is unartistic. That it's not your cup of tea Karuka; I'm totally fine with. But each of the animators showed their own personality through their varied styles. The dub for this anime was so over the top and the animation here reflects it. There is so much creativity flourishing here.

It's definitely in stark contrast to the original Japanese release of Sailor Moon, and even more so to Crystal. I completely understand why it comes off as insulting to you. But I would argue that this is more of the fault of the dub than it is of the animators.

It also doesn't seem to me like Crystal and Moon Animate are really comparable. I get that both are retellings of Sailor Moon in different animation styles but there's some key differences. One difference is that Crystal is an officially sanctioned product whereas Moon Animate is fan-made. If someone dislikes it, it's a lot easier to disregard a fan work than something that has that 'stamp of officialness' on it. In my experience anyways. Moon Animate also acts a showcase for a variety of different animators; something people can appreciate since the animators aren't being compensated. Technically, all animation does this but we don't think of it in this way when its created as an official product meant for mass publication.
The biggest difference, though, is that the target audiences are completely different. Moon Animate is specifically made for audiences who are nostalgic towards the 90s American dub of the series. Its target audience isn't kids like Crystal's is. Crystal's audience seems to be children and young adults of the 2010s and the cultures are just so different. What makes the show 'good' is completely different between these two groups.

#4 | Back to Top07-26-2015 02:35:45 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I think it's cute. I enjoyed getting to see how different artists interpret it in their own style. There are some great ones and some I didn't like much, but overall it turned out whimsical and fun. Sailor Moon was probably a huge influence for these animators, I see it as them 'giving something back'. But yeah, some of them look quite redonkulous.

Regarding Crystal, I'm not a superfan, but like many of us I grew up with Sailor Moon, and didn't like Crystal. The character design and some artistic choices put me off. It's a quality show and great for someone young to get into the franchise, but older viewers who watched the original expect different things from an SM anime + it's painted pink with nostalgia for us, so I guess it's understandable that some of us don't like it as much. But like Jacrad wrote, it's still official content and thus has precedence over anything fanmade, regardless of our opinion of it.

#5 | Back to Top07-26-2015 11:48:18 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

I was obviously upset and didn't make my argument clear enough

I don't compare this with crystal in the quality level, but at an aesthetic standard

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11223743_926616437410626_6825694786589578250_n.jpg?oh=b8b5ee5d9dfe60308f661c39c1edbf50&oe=560F76E4
^
people find this cute and beautiful

while:
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10565212_742426299162975_4073086774464890192_n.jpg?oh=a2779b4368b1539af50571af0fbf7860&oe=564F70EF

^
they find this ugly, un-artistic, trash

-
these are two random shoots nothing specific

you see I'm not talking about quality of the animation, but the aesthetic of it, the style.
--

PS: crystal is not for younger kids, they have specifically stated that they made this for an older audience.

#6 | Back to Top07-26-2015 02:19:55 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

People were disappointed with Crystal because for the amount of hype and what it SHOULD have been, it barely met airable standards. Sure, that's a nice frame of Jupiter, but then there this:

http://wanimu.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/tumblr_n9u89fp1sq1tihxdwo1_500.png

and this

http://projectfandom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/10295911_323390657828492_2099848539032390863_o.jpg

and this

http://static.tumblr.com/ae6e56eb1b36b38ac9cbca9a1f7276db/xbsimt2/Voandrjjg/tumblr_static_7l7y5gcefl8ogkgw88swcggc0.png

And in Animate, there are frames like this one which is basically a perfect on model for the older style:

http://i.imgur.com/s02iirL.png?1

This one, which I would actually love to see a whole show done in:

http://i.imgur.com/S2MR2cy.png?1

And this one, which I am especially partial to because it makes me think of Kim Possible:
http://i.imgur.com/Z71eetR.png?1

Reagardless of who the audience for Crystal was intended to be, errors in animation of that extant in a project that heavily hyped are...disappointing to say the least. That's why people were mad about Crystal -I think it had a beautiful aesthetic that really captured Naoko's spindly and high fashion inspired elegance. I liked the color palette, even if it was obnoxiously bright/saturated at times. I liked parts of it, but it's execution was shoddy and haphazard, and that's why people were mad. I've yet to see someone say Crystal, in it's entirety, is trash. Yeah, there are some shitty shots. But when they get it right, it's seriously beautiful.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-26-2015 02:21:55 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#7 | Back to Top07-27-2015 01:20:12 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

as I said this is not about quality it is about the style
I honestly don't see what's wrong with the second picture by the way
the other two YES have animation mistakes (which are fixed in most parts in the blu-ray release)
but so did the old anime, which suffered greatly in the quality part, and those who don't think so they are probably forgetting.

as for the fan project, you showed me 3 artists of the hundreds, I want to know what does the majority of the styles look like. Because when I look at it, it seems that the majority is similar to the style I posted.

And ohh you will be surprised how many hate the style and aesthetics of Crystal(basically the artistic style of Naoko), and I exclude all the "lets ridicule the quality" blogs out there.

#8 | Back to Top07-27-2015 05:58:25 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Karuka wrote:

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the second picture by the way

My guess would be that the three faces look exactly the same and have the same expression, minus Rei's eye color. I know next to nothing about animation, but I think off model moments were much more common back when everything was drawn by hand, and people had to draw a huge number of frames in very little time. I think computers save a lot of time these days, so to a layman such mistakes in such a high-profile and high-budget show seem a bit...lazy?

And funny, but I prefer the aesthetics the original series used to that of Takeuchi, even though it (and by extension Crystal's) is beautiful. In certain scenes, Usagi even looked a bit chubby (anime chubby, mind you, not real world chubby) like she supposedly is (if I remeber correctly), but Crystal Usagi was consistently as noodly as the other girls. Not that there's anything wrong with noodly.

The visual style alone was ok ( the eyecatch cards were unf etc-love ), but I really didn't like what they did with the transformation scenes, and that's one of the things that made me think they were aiming for a younger audience, as CGI is so commonplace these days that it's absence is an unusual thing, and a lot of kid's shows use it. My reasons for not giving Crystal another chance are extremely superficial, I'm aware.

#9 | Back to Top07-27-2015 07:06:15 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Snow wrote:

so to a layman such mistakes in such a high-profile and high-budget show seem a bit...lazy?

Why Crystal is considered so high budget? It is an internet broadcast, with little to no commercials, with a TV broadcast starting just couple of months ago (when we started seeing quality differences in animation to be exact)

Just because they made a comeback doesn't instantly mean they invested all the money to it.

#10 | Back to Top07-27-2015 07:09:22 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Crossing the high-budget part then, I wrongly assumed that as a given.

#11 | Back to Top07-27-2015 09:02:53 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

But that's the thing, It should have been higher budget. It should have been a priority. it should have been developed and launched properly. This is a 20 minute project with higher standards than Crystal, imo. And I honestly think that your "aesthetics" argument is disingenuous.

as for the fan project, you showed me 3 artists of the hundreds, I want to know what does the majority of the styles look like. Because when I look at it, it seems that the majority is similar to the style I posted.

There are 250 artists. There are massive variations in style. There was a freaking yarn puppet segment. There was an amazing black and yellow splash noir that looked like it would have been at home in Trigun. There was an awesome lineless scene done with competing textures. The style you posted is really reminiscent of things like Steven Universe and Bee and Puppycat, which are both great show with a definable style. There was a scene with what I'm pretty sure was a Bob's Burgers animator.

The bottom line, for me, is this: I feel like you're dismissing this work because you're upset that some people don't like Crystal. I think it's unfair to compare the two at all, and I think that your attitude is rude towards the creators who actually put in time and effort to a free project.

I find this incredibly un-artistic, and insulting to the original.
the style in most cases is aesthetically unattractive.

I have seen gazillion of so called super fans of Sailor moon, liking this, and HATE on crystal.
which pisses me off so much.

these animators should stick to their origins and make cartoons and leave anime alone.

That's harsh. It's not an insult. It's people who were most likely heavily inspired by the show, who jumped at a change to get to redraw a sequence for this project. You can love something and make fun of it at the same time, and sure, some of the sequences did just that. Maybe you didn't like all of them -I know I didn't- but I can appreciate the work and effort that went into it, that you're just dumping on.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-27-2015 09:03:58 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#12 | Back to Top07-27-2015 09:17:22 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/WAT_zpswy7okwlg.jpg~original

THIS IS GLORIOUS.

Watching season 2 of Crystal just made me angry, hate the world and hate myself. I am done with it.
If I need a dose of nostalgia I'm rewatching Stars.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#13 | Back to Top07-27-2015 09:21:42 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

MissMocha wrote:

But that's the thing, It should have been higher budget. It should have been a priority. it should have been developed and launched properly. This is a 20 minute project with higher standards than Crystal, imo. And I honestly think that your "aesthetics" argument is disingenuous.

Why should it be? It is a work from 20 years ago, they are not even sure it will sell enough. Those who want the quality in animation they are very welcome to invest for it, and make this project in a studio known for a superb quality etc.

As for my argument it is my opinion which you can take it or leave it, your own opinion is very welcome and accepted by me. If I'm harsh, so be it, it is not like I'm going to bitch on them on their faces. It was posted here, I commented here, you guys opposed my opinion and that is that.

#14 | Back to Top07-27-2015 11:23:02 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Sorry to have started such a heated debate over something! emot-frown

I understand if you don't like it, but I honestly only meant for this video to be fun and goofy for the group to chat about... i had no intention of insulting anyone

^====================================================^

Now that that is out of the way:

YamPuff wrote:

THIS IS GLORIOUS.

For some reason he reminds me of a blonde Snape in this image... and i just can't help but hear his lines in that same snape-y voice. So good.

MissMocha wrote:

And this one, which I am especially partial to because it makes me think of Kim Possible:

HNNNG yes i'd love to see more of this. I love the style and it is sassy enough for the girls.

I really loved how some of the art styles were super detailed and super in touch with the original... and then the next frame was venus picking her nose. Hilarious. I was so sad to see they hadn't done any other episodes (IF THEY HAVE WHERE ARE THEY!)

#15 | Back to Top07-27-2015 12:00:39 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

They're gearing up for a new episode but production hasn't started just yet.
If you want to see previews and stay updated follow the project here: moonanimate.tumblr.com

#16 | Back to Top07-30-2015 12:14:33 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I wanted to give my two cents on Animate Make-up and Crystal. I myself liked the second season and liked the show for what it is. The animators get paid less than minimum wage, sometimes to the tune of a dollar a day. Not even enough for a soup. Though I stream it, I will not be supporting the release for that reason. There's a huge problem right now in Japan with paying animators not even enough to eat everyday off of and I am not okay with that. It's why some folks are actually raising money for animator housing. It's not right that these companies make that money and cannot even pay the main people responsible for these titles proper money.

On that note, though part of Crystal's problem is hype backlash and well. The parts they've repeatedly fumbled. Like having Chibi Usa repeatedly being in the wrong school uniform. Anatomy problems, style problems, execution problems. They've done things right. How they did Nemesis was cool. Unexplained weirdness at that juncture was not cool. The lack of individual characterization. Not. Cool. Chibi Usa's character development is probably the best done aspect of Crystal, which the original anime rather mishandled, imho.

But. Crystal is entirely a different beast in many, many respects to Moon Animate Make-Up as a few have stated repeatedly.

Moon Animate itself was a free-for-all in terms of who was given what. Some were great! Some were ridiculous. Some were extremely 'eh'-but the point was to show great love to a series that impacted all the people who animated segments and you know what? It took a year to animate, even split up between all those people. Part of it was because it was all volunteers who weren't getting a red cent and did it in their spare time. Some folks forgot, some people went inactive or left the fandom while others pitched in for segments that lost the people responsible for it. It happens in volunteer-handled projects. See: the decade-long project to translate Megami Tensei for the NES which included a working (!!!) password system in English.

But is it any good and is it art?

The first is up to the viewer but I believe so. Overall, it was very smooth, even with no consistency between styles. Is it art? It most certainly is. But shitting on it and hating on it isn't okay by any means. It's okay to dislike it. To call it an insult is to insult a lot of people who were genuinely put their all into it. Just as although I have serious issues with Crystal, I don't shit on the animation crew.

Both have the same issue: they weren't paid jack shit and it shows.

Last edited by Anthiena (07-30-2015 12:16:51 PM)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#17 | Back to Top07-14-2016 03:16:32 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I think they're actually planning a sequel to this! Seems like they posted something in October 2015 about it, and are aiming for either a late 2016/ early 2017 release date, by the looks of it. ( Right here )

Also, the decision to try animating to the original Japanese track was probably due to trying to fit in as much different animators as possible, since they're also planning on animating the opening and ending sequences this time. It's still going to be neat looking, going by the variation of preview clips so far. I enjoyed the original run of this experiment, and I'd love to see what they end up with this time!

In addition, the same folks ended up organizing a reanimation of the Akira trailer centered around Bartkira, which is... Akira but with The Simpsons characters redrawn into it. I haven't read through the original manga, or the mashup comic, but this... this is interesting.

Board footer