This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-04-2015 04:46:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Steven Universe

Pearl I think is a very deliberate parallel to Utena, in story rather than personality (Pearl is a lot smarter, much more self-conscious, and less daring than Utena).  Pearl wasn't just romantically interested in Rose, she would be more or less happy being needed by Rose.  She wanted to be the one to protect Rose, to the be person Rose could not be without, and in that way be the most important person to Rose. Kinda like how Utena wanted to protect Anthy mostly so that she could be the hero, and in the process put Anthy up on a pedestal and ignored who Anthy really was, and what she really wanted.   Part of her development was learning to value Anthy herself, and in the finale she gives up on wanting to save Anthy and instead admits the new truth: she just wants to be with her. She didn't reach for Anthy because it is what a hero would do, or even because she thought Anthy needed her to, she did it because she wanted to have tea with Anthy.

Greg and Rose's relationship didn't threaten Pearl (just) because it was romantic, but because Rose was expressing a side of herself to Greg that Pearl was unfamiliar with, which meant Greg was giving something to Rose that Pearl wasn't, and that meant Rose might need Greg more than she needs Pearl.  That sort of ranking is a weird way Pearl sees and quantifies relationships and her worth within the context of those relationship. Rose and Greg could get married and have a million babies, and Pearl would be okay with that romantic bond so long as it was clear that Pearl was still the person that Rose needed the most; the only one she confides in and trusts on the deepest level with her secrets.  This need to be needed, to protect, to prove herself to others, using a select set of cultural archetypes (knights/charges) to help her pick and emulate a role that could facilitate that...  reminds me a lot of Utena.

Plus, there is the whole bit with Pearl being a made to order Gem designed and expected to be subservient to others, to act in a certain way (look pretty, follow orders, symbolize status), who eschews those societal dictations and learns to fight and to build instead.  Much like Utena is a female Ohtori student who opts for boyshorts.  Heck, Pearl's season one outfit included red shorts.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (12-18-2015 06:38:21 PM)

#77 | Back to Top11-04-2015 09:50:38 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Excellent insight into Pearl's reactions to Greg and Rose. And pretty much foreshadowed with their song's chorus. "What can I do for you? What can I do that no one else can do?"

Peridot's revelation of what Pearls are on Homeworld actually puts her personality in a new light, though. Before we knew that, I figured that she fought because Homeworld failed to fulfill the ideal she had in her mind of what Gem society should be. In various episodes, Pearl thinks wistfully of what life was like when she could still return to her old home.

Now that the truth is out, though, I find myself thinking back to how much Pearl idolizes Rose. The way that Peridot worded things, it strikes me that all Pearls are like that toward their masters. Perhaps they're imprinted for just that effect. And that leads me to wonder how much of what she does was actually dictated by her programming. Rose wanted a soldier. She may not have specifically asked Pearl to be one but she picked up the hints, just as a devoted servant would, and abode by her wishes as best she could. She trained herself to be a warrior and all of the other things that she's now capable of because that was what her master needed.

We've seen another character like that, once before, in Anthy, who will always become what her groom says. Doting housewife? Yes, Saionji-sama. Background decoration for sexual conquests? Yes, Touga-sama. A shy shrinking violet who secretly wants to have friends? Yes, Utena-sama.

Pearl, who we thought was an Utena analogue, is slowly turning out to be more in the mould of Anthy. And I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable moment when it's all out in the open and the dark painful consequences rear their heads.

As an aside, the revelation also puts the fandom's vitriol against Pearl in "We Need to Talk," (one of my favourite episodes, by the way) into an even less flattering perspective. An interesting little example of life imitating art, in my opinion.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#78 | Back to Top11-06-2015 06:18:49 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

The only thing I would say against Pearl being more of an Anthy is Anthy made a conscious, deliberate choice to suit her current Master's needs and personality for the sake of manipulating them and self-preservation/ her own cynical worldview.  Pearl's intention was never to manipulate Rose, and she's not as self-aware as Anthy is in the sense that she's still very unsure (maybe has not even begun really contemplating) how much of her love of sword-fighting and technology sprang from her own individuality, were interests that Rose saw in her and fostered, or in her wanting to be more for Rose and feeling rewarded when Rose valued those skills. 

Then again, Utena and Anthy are two halves of one woman, so having Pearl share traits with both is pretty fitting!

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (12-18-2015 06:39:13 PM)

#79 | Back to Top11-06-2015 08:41:59 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I can't argue against what you've said. Their motivations are very different. And, let's face it, I'm basing my entire comparison on a single line.

If I'm right, though, the end result is still the same for both Pearl and Anthy. Whether on purpose or by accident, she became what her master projected onto her. The idea is stuck in my head now and I can't help but look at everything that Pearl has done from that angle.

I'd love to see a story arc about that aspect of her, showing how, through her long life, she slowly developed from a mindless servant to an actual person, whose drives are still coloured by what she was before, but far more complicated than the simple master-servant relationship at the beginning of her journey. And, on the other side of the coin, the arc would explore Pearl dealing with the knowledge that, despite her accomplishments, she is basically a mass-produced tool.

Y'know, I'm starting to realize that I really like Pearl most out of all of the characters. Can't wait until 2016 when we can see more of the Pearl Show.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#80 | Back to Top11-07-2015 07:05:41 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I was browsing the tag today and I found this: http://journemin.tumblr.com/post/132493 … k-at-these I wonder why people who work on SU seem to like this couple so much?  It seems a bit odd to me, since they don't seem like they'd make a very good couple in the show.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#81 | Back to Top11-15-2015 09:32:08 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

HonorableShadow wrote:

I was browsing the tag today and I found this: http://journemin.tumblr.com/post/132493 … k-at-these I wonder why people who work on SU seem to like this couple so much?  It seems a bit odd to me, since they don't seem like they'd make a very good couple in the show.

It might be because of the intense desire to do cross-over fanart, but not having enough characters yet revealed.

#82 | Back to Top11-16-2015 10:02:38 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The Utena-themed art just works so well with the colors, since Jasper is yellow-orange.

I remember when I first got into Utena fandom I saw that a surprising number of fanfic writers liked to pair Juri and Saionji, which made no sense to me, so I sort of place people who ship Jasper and Lapis in the same category of "this is a thing that does not make sense to me."

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#83 | Back to Top11-17-2015 11:23:31 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

ShatteredMirror wrote:

The Utena-themed art just works so well with the colors, since Jasper is yellow-orange.

I remember when I first got into Utena fandom I saw that a surprising number of fanfic writers liked to pair Juri and Saionji, which made no sense to me, so I sort of place people who ship Jasper and Lapis in the same category of "this is a thing that does not make sense to me."

Juri x Saionji is one giant piece of WTFery to me.

I actually have an affinity towards Jasper x Pearl ever since seeing a few little fan made comics on Tumblr.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#84 | Back to Top11-17-2015 12:46:32 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Mostly I think we just haven't seen enough of Jasper's personality to see what she's really like, and the fans are filling in the blanks themselves. Every other character in Steven Universe is nuanced and complex, it would be incredibly out of place for Jasper to be a one-dimensional bully with no redeeming characteristics. That's just not the sort of show this is.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#85 | Back to Top11-19-2015 10:14:16 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yeah that's true. We'll have to wait and see what Jasper turns out to be like, I'm sure she'll get a redemption arc at some point.

#86 | Back to Top12-13-2015 09:29:43 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Thought some of you would like this, it's a Steven Universe Gemsona/OC maker. It'll help you kill time until new episodes start.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#87 | Back to Top12-14-2015 11:49:48 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

That's been going nuts all over Tumblr, it's a really good dollmaker, very customisable.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#88 | Back to Top12-18-2015 02:39:24 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Guess who's back?

http://rinmatsuokas.tumblr.com/post/135 … se-is-back

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-18-2015 02:40:03 PM)

#89 | Back to Top12-19-2015 03:57:04 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm so frikkin excited. emot-dance

#90 | Back to Top12-25-2015 12:27:50 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

http://www.toywiz.com/stevenuni.html

*screaming*
Lion plushie! I'll wait until they have an actual pic of it to order but I really want it!

Also I was in Hot Topic the other day and they have a lot of Steven Universe stuff! It makes me happy to see that it's getting more merchandise.

#91 | Back to Top12-26-2015 03:00:37 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

*internal screaming*

#92 | Back to Top12-26-2015 07:11:20 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Super-excited for the new episodes! The hiatus was rather easy to live through, though. There are so many things to keep yourself busy with.

The merchandise, however? emot-gonk I HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING MYSELF THAT I ALREADY OWN TOO MANY THINGS AND THAT I AM TRYING TO REDUCE, NOT ADD. If any of the plushies end up being too adorable, I may cave in and get something.

#93 | Back to Top01-06-2016 08:24:03 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

A major spoiler accidentally leaked during a commercial break on CN today:
http://navarchy.tumblr.com/post/136784032493/hd-versio

It's a spoiler that according to the writers doesn't even happen in an episode airing this week, so it's way down the line.

I'm not sure how something like that could happen but I'm super excited.

#94 | Back to Top01-06-2016 08:35:10 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Y'all saw the cut/re-edit to the European release of a recent episode, right? To stop kids from seeing girls get too close together and, y'know, destroying the fabric of sane humanity.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#95 | Back to Top01-07-2016 02:02:53 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I have fallen into the hell that is Blue Pearl love lol

I have indeed seen the UK edit of the episode, and also seen a few glimpses of the spoiler. To be honest I don't think it was THAT much of a spoiler, like they seem to be heading towards redemption for all, it's just that kind of show.

#96 | Back to Top01-07-2016 06:49:09 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Y'all saw the cut/re-edit to the European release of a recent episode, right? To stop kids from seeing girls get too close together and, y'know, destroying the fabric of sane humanity.

Ugh that's terrible. emot-mad When I see stuff like this it always makes me worried that some day CN is going to change its mind about what it lets SU get away with in the US and start forcing them to tone it down. emot-frown I hope that never happens.

YamPuff wrote:

I have fallen into the hell that is Blue Pearl love lol

I really like her too!

To be honest I don't think it was THAT much of a spoiler, like they seem to be heading towards redemption for all, it's just that kind of show.

Hm it might not be that shocking that it would happen eventually but considering that we haven't even seen [Malachite in the longest time it's kind of surprising to see a spoiler like that so soon.]

Last edited by HonorableShadow (01-07-2016 06:49:54 AM)

#97 | Back to Top01-07-2016 11:33:37 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Message Received was amazing, one of the best episodes to come out of the show since The Return/Jailbreak for me.

Yellow Diamond reveal was well done and was well worth the weight despite being off-model in-episode, Patti LuPone performance was excellent too with the cold but intimidating voice, the only thing we need now is something similar to Frieza rendition of my favorite things in DBZA since Patti LuPone is a Broadway actress with singing experience.

Also Peri calling Yellow Diamond a clod and yellow diamond's reaction to it was amazing:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/062/558/43b.gif

The real question for me is how are they going to handle Yellow Diamond from this point onward, they already Yellow Diamond's character as a Cold-Frieza Esque Dictator but how is Rebecca going to portray her considering that she intend for the show to have no true villains?

Headcanon time:
Is there a chance that she is going to be later portrayed a sympathetic character that's redeemable or be a villain with a tragic backstory that cannot redeemed like Akio Ohtori due to her circumstances like Akio was created after Anthy sealed away Dios's powers which resulted in a corrupted version of Dios that will do anything to get his powers back. Yellow Diamond might of had a personal vendetta against Rose, Rose could of been a good friend to her for example and she was upset that she betrayed the Diamond Authority? or with her current attitude towards Earth, Earth just reminded her of what were the darkest chapters in the Homeworld's History considering the Gems corrupted and shattered as a result of the war and she just wants to forget it considering her apathy towards the blue planet.

All things considered, Message received was one of the best episodes in this show for me and I can't wait to see what they do with Yellow Diamond in the future.

#98 | Back to Top01-08-2016 01:09:28 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The episode was great! I like how they handled it, nicely fitting into a 12 minute episode without feeling rushed (as usual). Peridot was a funny character before and everything but now I genuinely like her and I'm happy to have her as a (hopefully) permanent member on the cast.

NOW FOR PERIDOT FUSIONS. YES. BRING THEM TO US SOON PLEASE.

I can't get over my Pearl feels. Do you realize how shit it is that Pearls are the only Gems we've seen that have some kind of uniqueness to their design HOWEVER it has nothing to do with their individuality, but rather that they are literally dressed up and 'customized' to look like their owners. That's some Ai no Kusabi type Furniture madness going down right there.

Pearl being White Diamond's Pearl is looking more and more likely. O: The tension!

#99 | Back to Top01-08-2016 06:37:16 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I'm in love with Yellow Pearl.  Her attitude and those faces she was making were hilarious.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/179698165224fec871a313a79374b8b6/tumblr_inline_o0mxra85Zk1sbpi9y_540.png

Truly magnificent.

I'm also loving the memes about Yellow Diamond's neck. Hah!

Last edited by HonorableShadow (01-08-2016 06:45:00 AM)

#100 | Back to Top01-08-2016 10:32:22 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

I'm in love with Yellow Pearl.  Her attitude and those faces she was making were hilarious.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/17969816522 … 9y_540.png

Truly magnificent.

I'm also loving the memes about Yellow Diamond's neck. Hah!

The internet is pretty much obsessed with the little Pearls way more than the Diamonds. I think Pearls should be in charge. XD

But yeah Yellow Diamond confirmed for giraffe.

Board footer