This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-05-2018 04:48:49 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The Eve of the Revolution of Two (the last manga installment guys)

I know the name is awkward, but I couldn't figure out a better way to translate it that still left the implication that you could mean Miki & Kozue AND Utena & Anthy, who do get some amount of closure at the end of it.

Also, I was translating from the French. *shrug*

Anyway, here's the raw: ohtori.nu/Revolution_of_Two_[Raw].zip, about 90mb. I can't tell exactly what the NEWS bit says, I know they're collecting these into a single volume but I don't know that that will include any new content or not.

First impressions: Was expecting to be like 'eh whatever,' but the relative lack of OMFG THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PPL I think left her a bit freer to take risks. There's a pretty heavily sexual air about things, even when people aren't kissing siblings, and shit gets dark--Kozue marries a domestic abuser, which given her track record of picking partners to piss off Miki, says some horrifying shit about how this relationship has gone over two decades.

...Also, Miki and Kozue don't get a two page spread. They get one.

The other page.

Is Touga. Saito *thirsty.*

Anyway I spent all half of my weekend here doing this. emot-biggrin

http://empty-movement.tumblr.com/post/1 … u-might-be

Here's a tumblr post where I just threw up the last few pages, whatever.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top04-06-2018 04:57:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: The Eve of the Revolution of Two (the last manga installment guys)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CXR … tQSbyrZs0/

Here's the ongoing transcription of the text that Dallbun's working on. etc-love

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#3 | Back to Top04-06-2018 10:55:16 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Giovanna wrote:

I can't tell exactly what the NEWS bit says, I know they're collecting these into a single volume but I don't know that that will include any new content or not.

The ad gives no indication that it will. Sorry.

First impressions: Was expecting to be like 'eh whatever,' but the relative lack of OMFG THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PPL I think left her a bit freer to take risks.

I wish we'd spent a lot more time in Kozue's head and less time in Miki's. Miki's head is a pretty boring place.

Kozue marries a domestic abuser, which given her track record of picking partners to piss off Miki, says some horrifying shit about how this relationship has gone over two decades.

I was going to make a joke about Miki using reverse psychology to trick Kozue into a stable, loving relationship... but honestly, the thought of anime-flavored Miki being able to successfully deceive anime-flavored Kozue is pretty laughable.

Anyway I spent all half of my weekend here doing this. emot-biggrin

Get ready to lose another weekend putting in the English translation! I just finished transcribing it, and Ayu has worked pretty fast in the past... emot-wink

Last edited by Dallbun (04-06-2018 10:55:58 PM)

#4 | Back to Top04-07-2018 05:14:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm not doing anything important anyway, just my job. emot-biggrin I'm halfway through ripping the text so.

Honestly I'm not surprised we don't get more inside Kozue's head. Saito seems to prefer to keep that level of darkness at a remove from her writing, she's never seemed comfortable writing the more fucked up characters or story arcs. I'm still shocked she put the CSA in the movie manga, but Touga made it easy by having a pathos that includes himself reducing it to like, nbd pillow talk. There are a few conversations with series and manga Akio basically saying the same thing, and she never failed to take the actually creepy subtext out. I think it's just a relative difference of style where she's not as dark a storyteller.

I'm still excited, though. I have to say she's honestly done pretty good here not making a god damn unholy mess of the characters, she pretty consistently hit the middle ground as far as themes, interpretations, and how to make as many people happy. (At least in Japan.) That said, I think it's pretty obvious which installment most deeply held her attention. XD

also, hot take, the new musical is the best interpretation of SKU after the series, fucking fight me

#5 | Back to Top04-08-2018 01:44:42 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Done!! I got to it later than I wanted to, but now it's complete! All the translations are with Dallbun's transcription!

EDIT: Also I offered a couple alternate translations for the title: "The Eve of Our Revolution," "The Eve of Your Revolution and Mine," and maybe possibly "The Eve of the Revolution, Yours and Mine"? I feel like the first one flows smoothest in English, if we're willing to let the translation be a touch more broad; "our" can still refer to either Miki+Kozue or Anthy+Utena.

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (04-08-2018 01:50:42 PM)

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#6 | Back to Top04-12-2018 02:41:09 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Well, we didn't get an explanation as to the disaster that set the stage for this manga, but I also get the feeling that it doesn't quite matter; that it's merely another lens through which to filter Utena's basic structure.

This hasn't been my favorite version of Utena, but I'm very glad we got it at all, and it's making me want to rewatch the show again, though more likely just the movie because 39 episodes is a lot oAo

im a shadow play girl irl

#7 | Back to Top04-13-2018 02:56:50 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

The linking thread throughout the three chapters of young Utena searching for Anthy was pretty cool. I'm glad that we get some closure on the end of the manga, where Utena has that last conversation with Touga and then sets out in search of An...

Wait, no, that's not right. I'm getting confused. This manga is much more anime-based than anything. What I meant was, the ending of the anime, where Utena confronts Akio and then leaves Ohtori to search for... wait

I'm

kind of confused

#8 | Back to Top04-15-2018 05:46:03 AM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

Dallbun wrote:

The linking thread throughout the three chapters of young Utena searching for Anthy was pretty cool. I'm glad that we get some closure on the end of the manga, where Utena has that last conversation with Touga and then sets out in search of An...

Wait, no, that's not right. I'm getting confused. This manga is much more anime-based than anything. What I meant was, the ending of the anime, where Utena confronts Akio and then leaves Ohtori to search for... wait

I'm

kind of confused

Lol it's not much but I do appreciate Saito's genuine effort to make as 'meaty' stories as she could. She's at least aware that hardcore fans like us exist.  Still, fangless chaste af kozue? /:

Also, I'm super ambivalent about Miki's quote to Kozue - "Our relationship is still evolving"

Pros:
If something, including a relationship, isn't quite at the stage you'd like it to be, recognising it as such first is key to improving it. Goes with the confronting reality theme they have rather nicely.
Solid(ish) answer? Kozue seems happy with it at least.

Cons:
There's such a thing as always thinking you're in a transitional or "I'm still learning" state and...never actually learning. Because you use it as an excuse every time.
Ambiguity galore! And ambiguity, as we've seen in the series, is a great set up for misunderstanding and manipulation.

Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

#9 | Back to Top04-15-2018 10:08:37 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

My own related post on this chapter:

http://gorgeousshutin.tumblr.com/post/1 … en-kakumei

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#10 | Back to Top04-16-2018 09:58:37 PM

chigaijin
New Student
Website

Thank you for doing this! At the same time, though…I've been using the scans to practice my rusty Japanese. Any chance you can put the raws back up?

#11 | Back to Top04-16-2018 10:58:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

#12 | Back to Top04-17-2018 09:23:56 PM

chigaijin
New Student
Website

Thanks so much!

#13 | Back to Top05-31-2018 09:40:59 AM

tamahime
New Student

Sorry to be the guy who signs up just to post asking for stuff, but is there also a link to the translated version? I could not find it.

*goes back to lurking for another ~19 years*

#14 | Back to Top05-31-2018 04:02:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You can read the whole thing translated, along with the other two installments, in the gallery on this website!

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/20th-Manga

Board footer