This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-25-2015 08:27:02 PM

Apocalyptic Shangri-La
Wakaba Wrangler

Utena Ripoff?

Hey, I'm not sure if I'm the first person to find this. Its a manga called: 'Shitsurakuen' and it looks like a total ripoff of Utena.

Its about a girl who wants to be a knight who saves princesses. She transfers to a prestigious school and soon learns that all the boys in the school are involved in a game which involves dueling each other for the possession of the girls of the school.

How do they duel? They pull weapons out of the girls chests. They duel, and whoever wins gets possession of the opponents weapon and girl. Also you can tell if someone is a duelist if they wear a fancy glove.

Seriously, it has everything: boob swords, mysterious student council, tomboyish female protagonist with nobility and bike shorts.

I'm I the first person it find this, or am I late to the party?

"Yes... The young always aim for the End of the World..."

#2 | Back to Top08-25-2015 08:51:57 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Utena Ripoff?

I'm reading it and saw the SKU connection right away but I don't see it as a ripoff as much as an homage. Maybe I am so lenient because I happen to really like Shitsurakuen. The gender angle keeps it fresh and I find interesting how each rescued girl reacts differently to Sora as well as the alternative ways some find to fight the system.

But yes, it lifts from SKU so heavily that there is even a momentous childhood encounter that sets the heroine on her princely path that includes the glass wearing girl who later the main fights for and who clearly knows more than she lets show.

It's also a bit SKU, the Lesbian Harem Version since Sora ends up owning the girls she rescues as per the system.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (08-25-2015 08:55:43 PM)

#3 | Back to Top08-27-2015 12:06:07 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Well, my interest is piqued now.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top08-27-2015 01:14:56 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Always a slut for SKU homages am I

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Board footer