This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-04-2017 01:58:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

In case you missed the news (or were wondering in general) HOLY SHIT THIS SHOW IS GOOD.  If you somehow got here without watching it, you should go do that.  You're on a fan-site for SKU, so here's a brief comparison: it's in a realistic setting, so it's much less stylistic and more subdued, but from the first season of Rakugo, I'd say they're a pretty close match in the character drama department, and I cannot think of another anime I would say that about.

Anyways, there seems to be some interest around the show on the forum, and, well, it's good enough that I'm down to talk about it.  And not clog up the recommendations thread.  So, you know the deal.  What did you like?  What would you like to have seen done differently?  What are your theories, predictions, or things you're unclear about?

Also can someone (possibly myself) make up a name guide because FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2 | Back to Top03-04-2017 02:54:18 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Re: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Best Sports Anime?

Bringing this over from the Anime Recommendation thread:

YamPuff wrote:

It's so slashable though. It would have been such a good BL. T__T Here's hoping it gets gayer.

Honestly, this is one of the few stories where that isn't really a complaint for me?  And really, it usually is.

But when it comes to the central (platonic) relationship of the series, I think it's sold really well as-is.  It's… complete.   Believable.  The characters are really important to each other, and I know that because the show demonstrates that, and things go to shit when they try to distance themselves from one another.  (Kinda reluctant to say more in case you've not seen the whole thing.)  And there's a tension in that, in a really close relationship that isn't romantic.  Like, maybe it's closer than it's allowed to be.

And throughout the series, characters interact fairly closely with what is expected of them.  Like, there's a transgressive element to Main Character Dude adopting feminine roles, except it exists in a context where that's okay, except when it isn't because it's banned.  Were it in keeping with the show's quality, a same-sex romance would have devoured the show's runtime, since it would throw such a huge wrench in how those characters interact with societal expectations, (you are totally supposed to settle down and get married to a RESPECTABLE woman) how they think of themselves, and how they deal with balancing their private and public lives, and since the show focuses so much on that… it would really, really change the plot.  Drastically.

I like what we got, ergo I'm okay with it not being more gay.

But Present (well… 80's) Main Character Dude and Yakuza Dude should totally be a thing.  Having not seen how the present (well… 80's) plot turns out, I am 1000% down with that.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#3 | Back to Top03-05-2017 01:38:44 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Bringing this over from the Anime Recommendation thread:

YamPuff wrote:

It's so slashable though. It would have been such a good BL. T__T Here's hoping it gets gayer.

Honestly, this is one of the few stories where that isn't really a complaint for me?  And really, it usually is.

But when it comes to the central (platonic) relationship of the series, I think it's sold really well as-is.  It's… complete.   Believable.  The characters are really important to each other, and I know that because the show demonstrates that, and things go to shit when they try to distance themselves from one another.  (Kinda reluctant to say more in case you've not seen the whole thing.)  And there's a tension in that, in a really close relationship that isn't romantic.  Like, maybe it's closer than it's allowed to be.

And throughout the series, characters interact fairly closely with what is expected of them.  Like, there's a transgressive element to Main Character Dude adopting feminine roles, except it exists in a context where that's okay, except when it isn't because it's banned.  Were it in keeping with the show's quality, a same-sex romance would have devoured the show's runtime, since it would throw such a huge wrench in how those characters interact with societal expectations, (you are totally supposed to settle down and get married to a RESPECTABLE woman) how they think of themselves, and how they deal with balancing their private and public lives, and since the show focuses so much on that… it would really, really change the plot.  Drastically.

I like what we got, ergo I'm okay with it not being more gay.

But Present (well… 80's) Main Character Dude and Yakuza Dude should totally be a thing.  Having not seen how the present (well… 80's) plot turns out, I am 1000% down with that.

I'm only on episode 4 so far but I root for them mostly because they are my ideal OTP (awkward introvert x charismatic extrovert) but narratively it would probably not make sense.

I am happy to hear the yakuza guy returns. emot-biggrin

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#4 | Back to Top03-05-2017 11:37:37 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

YamPuff wrote:

I am happy to hear the yakuza guy returns. emot-biggrin

I, uh, don't quote me on that.

Honestly, I've not seen next season, so I have no idea.  Almost none of Season 1 takes place in the modern/80's time period, so…

yeah.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#5 | Back to Top03-25-2017 02:13:06 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The part where Bon and Shin do a rakugo performance together was too precious and amazing for words. Incredible. I am not worthy to watch.
This is a rare occasion for me, but I love them as friends so much I am actually glad they did not go the slash route!

Is there some significance to Shin's daughter having red hair? Neither of her parents have, and the series does not do the anime rainbow colored hair thing. It's unusual.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#6 | Back to Top03-25-2017 02:20:53 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Which performance they do together?  The one at the village inn?

I never really noticed a significance to the hair color, but that might be because I'm an unobservant lout.  Or just to make sure that she's recognizable.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#7 | Back to Top03-26-2017 12:26:16 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

Which performance they do together?  The one at the village inn?

When they do a rakugo together for the little girl, and take turns saying the lines. emot-biggrin (I might have got their names wrong)

#8 | Back to Top03-26-2017 02:46:43 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I'm so glad I watched this series. It's one of my all time favorites now. emot-gonk I just wish they'd put out official DVDs so I could support the series. They are putting out Bon and Shin figures soon though so I'm probably going to buy those at least.

The second to last episode of the series was my all time favorite. I loved [ seeing the afterlife and seeing Bon and Shin reunited for a little while. That ending made me cry hard though.]

Edit: Interesting video about the making of Rakugo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMS72Gn_sE

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-27-2017 03:59:48 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#9 | Back to Top04-04-2017 02:02:58 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

Edit: Interesting video about the making of Rakugo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMS72Gn_sE

emot-aaa It was based on a manga????

#10 | Back to Top04-09-2017 03:48:49 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The second to last episode was perfection. I may have cried.

Any thoughts about [Yakumo and Konatsu getting it on and having a kid together??? I can't quite wrap my mind around it.]

#11 | Back to Top04-16-2017 02:28:46 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

A bit late, but yes! It was based on a manga. It's pretty fateful to it.

About that... [the way I see it is that Bon was just the "sperm donor." I mean they got it on because they didn't have artificial insemination back then, but I don't think they were in a relationship or anything. I think Konatsu wanted a baby to carry on her dad's bloodline and approached Bon about it, and he went along with it for whatever reason.]

#12 | Back to Top04-17-2017 01:28:25 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

A bit late, but yes! It was based on a manga. It's pretty fateful to it.

About that... [the way I see it is that Bon was just the "sperm donor." I mean they got it on because they didn't have artificial insemination back then, but I don't think they were in a relationship or anything. I think Konatsu wanted a baby to carry on her dad's bloodline and approached Bon about it, and he went along with it for whatever reason.]

That makes more sense to me. I can see how the idea [of one baby with both Bon & Shin's blood running through their veins would be appealing, but just the idea of those two having sex just made me die inside].

But seriously, I would NEVER have watched a series like that without this forum's recommendation. Glad I watched it - I actually learned a lot! And totally enjoyed it.

#13 | Back to Top04-18-2017 10:08:36 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

[Yeah same. emot-gonk I was actually spoiled about that ahead of time though (around the beginning of s2, because my friend read the manga and told me about that part) so I had already made my peace with it by the time it actually happened in the anime. Still weird though..]

I'm glad you liked it! Its one of my favorite series now.

#14 | Back to Top04-18-2017 12:30:05 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Like, it's not just [the guardian/child relationship, the age difference, the obvious discomfort they have in each other's company, the years of misunderstanding and hate, Yakumo's very intimately close relationship to both of her parents.....just ONE of those things could make a hot, sexy, so-wrong-it's-right hook-up. But ALL OF those things together??? D: D: D: Nope the heck out.]

Last edited by YamPuff (04-18-2017 12:31:25 PM)

Board footer