This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-10-2006 07:33:33 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Utena Novels

Giovanna wrote:

Here we have Touga. On a bed. Bent over, glancing behind him. We see a second party's leg, masculine but pale. He's watching. This, I suspect, is Saionji.

I think we all know where Akio is.

What? The only second party's legs I see are on the left, and they look feminine. The kneeling leg looks like Touga's; he's just sitting at a really weird angle. Is part of the scan not showing up for me or something?

#27 | Back to Top11-10-2006 08:26:33 PM

Dallbun

Um. Um. Um. It would appear that there's also a novelization of the movie. I just saw it on ebay, after which it took about two minutes of consideration before I went ahead and bought it for $14.

http://aglick.web.wesleyan.edu/Dallbun/temp/utenamovienovel.jpg

And the url for the ebay item, just for completeness's sake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Utena-LApocalypse-d … dZViewItem

I'm happy to be getting the book, but if sending this baby to anyone else would help it get translated faster, I'd be happy to lend it out.

#28 | Back to Top11-10-2006 08:35:29 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Ger wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

There are actually quite a few things in the art books that could use a quick translation...interviews and such that'd be really awesome to have if this goes well and you want to give them a shot. I could provide scans of the text, although Yasha would have to send the artbooks back to me. (I don't think she has a scanner.)

Also, Ger and BakaElf, since you two seem to be the ones on the ground floor, by all means let Yasha and I know what we can do to help. I'd certainly be happy to webmaster/host the thing so you guys can concentrate on sweet translating sexiness.

etc-love It would awesome to make this into a forum endeavor thingy...I'm volunteering to get started on my book when it gets here (about a week or so, they told me), and I guess BakaElf  is the only other person who has a copy of these right now. Maybe we can post chapters as they get translated and then you could make up a section on EM or something for them?

As for the interview translations and such you mentioned, sure I have no problem doing them, as long as they are not 1000000+ pages of interview of DOOM or anything like that school-devil I think Almaser mentioned knowing Japanese also, so maybe we could have a little mini Utena translation project going? emot-dance

I do, but only 2-kyuu... meanwhile, you've translated goddamn Gackt. *Bows to the master*
But yes, I'd be thrilled to work on translating an Utena Novel... hell, maybe I can even use it as credit for my course next year school-devil

#29 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:11:28 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Oh daijoubu, I'm 2kyuu also, more or less. At least, that's the level I'm taking the on JLPT this year. I've never taken it before, so it should be interesting.... emot-gonk Yes, I know. I lived 3 years in the damn country and never took the test.

*crams frantically*

Dallbun, I saw that novel on ebay last night too, but passed over it....since I've volunteered to do book #2 already I've got my plate full, but maybe someone else can take up the offer? XD WE COULD HAVE THREE TRANSLATION PROJECTS GOING ON AT ONCE school-devil The cover of it says "scenario book" so I'm not sure if that's an actual novel or just a bunch of interviews and story snippets...I guess we'll see when you get it.

Last edited by Ger (11-10-2006 10:14:10 PM)

#30 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:18:15 PM

Dallbun

Ger wrote:

Dallbun, I saw that novel on ebay last night too, but passed over it....since I've volunteered to do book #2 already I've got my plate full, but maybe someone else can take up the offer? XD WE COULD HAVE THREE TRANSLATION PROJECTS GOING ON AT ONCE school-devil

Err... I think it's better to work on one of them at a time, carefully. emot-smile We're in no hurry, so it would be much better to go carefully and produce as good a translation for each as we can.

...says the guy who will be of no help in the translating process, of course (though get back to me in a couple years).

The cover of it says "scenario book" so I'm not sure if that's an actual novel or just a bunch of interviews and story snippets...I guess we'll see when you get it.

You know what? I would be so much happier if it had interviews or something instead of actually being a novel. Who wants a novelization of a movie so grounded in surreal and beautiful visuals? Not me, particularly.

#31 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:21:25 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Ger wrote:

*dies* I swear that book took like 10 years off my life. Half the time I didn't know whether to kill Gackt or hug him for his god-awful grammar and roundabout way of writing.

>_>

<_<

* school-devil COUGH*

Anyway!

Dallbun wrote:

What? The only second party's legs I see are on the left, and they look feminine.

You know, it took me about ten minutes to figure out what you were talking about...they blend in with the sheets so nicely.

Last edited by Nessy (11-10-2006 10:21:46 PM)

#32 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:38:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

They're male legs dammit.

I say so because that means Saionji's watch Akio and Touga have sex and wow is that hot etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#33 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:39:41 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Nessy wrote:

Ger wrote:

*dies* I swear that book took like 10 years off my life. Half the time I didn't know whether to kill Gackt or hug him for his god-awful grammar and roundabout way of writing.

>_>

<_<

* school-devil COUGH*

Anyway!

Ahhh.
*KILLS GACKT*

Anyway, I did a quick translation of the summary blurbs of both novels.

First book:
Tenjou Utena, a 2nd year junior high student at Ohtori Academy, wears a boy's uniform and calls herself "boku." Utena, in an unexpected incident, is pulled into the school's Student Council duelling game. The various winners and losers of this game are determined by one called the "Ends of the World." The ones who can participate in this game are members of the Student Council who wear a rose signet ring. Utena meets the handsome young duellist Miki, who hates the duels. With their meeting, new troubles arise.

Second book:
Anthy is the one constantly at Utena's side, like a shadow. Wakaba says to Utena, "Since Anthy came, something hasn't been right. Stop hanging around with Anthy! What the heck is going on? What is that rose signet?" Utena begins to ponder again her friendship with Anthy...But the cold answer is, "it's all just a misunderstanding." Because of this, Wakaba is mired in the duels and loses with Saionji's sword. Enraged, Utena duels with Saionji...

BakaElf, have you read any of the books? I'm not sure if the summaries make it sound like an novelization of part of the anime, or maybe a sidestory-type thing?

#34 | Back to Top11-11-2006 12:14:35 AM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Ger wrote:

Nessy wrote:

Ger wrote:

>_>

<_<

* school-devil COUGH*

Anyway!

Ahhh.
*KILLS GACKT*

Anyway, I did a quick translation of the summary blurbs of both novels.

First book:
Tenjou Utena, a 2nd year junior high student at Ohtori Academy, wears a boy's uniform and calls herself "boku." Utena, in an unexpected incident, is pulled into the school's Student Council duelling game. The various winners and losers of this game are determined by one called the "Ends of the World." The ones who can participate in this game are members of the Student Council who wear a rose signet ring. Utena meets the handsome young duellist Miki, who hates the duels. With their meeting, new troubles arise.

Second book:
Anthy is the one constantly at Utena's side, like a shadow. Wakaba says to Utena, "Since Anthy came, something hasn't been right. Stop hanging around with Anthy! What the heck is going on? What is that rose signet?" Utena begins to ponder again her friendship with Anthy...But the cold answer is, "it's all just a misunderstanding." Because of this, Wakaba is mired in the duels and loses with Saionji's sword. Enraged, Utena duels with Saionji...

BakaElf, have you read any of the books? I'm not sure if the summaries make it sound like an novelization of part of the anime, or maybe a sidestory-type thing?

I haven't had much of a look at them, to be honest. The impression I'm getting is that it's sort of a novelization/sidestory/fill in details sort of thing?

#35 | Back to Top11-11-2006 09:52:27 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

When I saw that scan of Touga from the novels I got so excited. I am so excited. We all have to get these, somehow. I mean Saionji/Akio/Touga. Best. Thing. Ever.etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Last edited by belladonna (11-11-2006 09:52:40 PM)

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#36 | Back to Top11-14-2006 04:30:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Alas there's no proof Akio's actually there. emot-frown

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not, given the attitude the creators have had toward him since the completion of the series. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#37 | Back to Top11-14-2006 07:24:40 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

Alas there's no proof Akio's actually there. emot-frown

There's also no proof that Saionji's actually there. emot-rolleyes I still believe that it's your own projection onto the picture that's making those legs look like anyone other than Utena's.

#38 | Back to Top11-14-2006 08:14:04 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

If you notice the two roses up top, one is clearly white and the other is darkened, Red and White, if I'd have to guess.

#39 | Back to Top11-14-2006 09:22:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Shush with your bitter realities about the picture of Touga on the bed. emot-gonk

I meant that there's no evidence Akio's in the novels at all. He's not in any of the pictures.

#40 | Back to Top11-14-2006 10:30:08 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

The novels they have procured sound like they're set in the earlier part of the series, so it's most likely that Akio would not be appearing in them. Unless Novel!Akio is like Manga!Akio and pops up early.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#41 | Back to Top11-16-2006 09:48:45 AM

Dallbun

I've received my copy of the movie novel I ordered, which was apparently published back in 1999. I'm a little confused about the main contents of the book. At first glance, it appears to be a script, with descriptions of the characters' actions in between the lines. However, even my insufficient knowledge of Japanese is enough to tell me that that's not exactly right. Although the dialogue matches up with the movie perfectly in some parts, in other parts it doesn't. At all. For instance, the book begins with a conversation between Touga and... Shiori?... before moving in to the opening credits and Utena/Wakaba. But it still references things like the Opening Sequence. Overall, it looks like this book is a variation or a previous draft of the movie script, which makes sense given that it was written by scriptwriter Yoji Enokido.

In the front are several crammed pages of color shots of the cast, overlapping each other; I haven't seen some of the pictures in there before. In the back are some pages of character designs which is mostly stuff from the Adolescence Apocalypse Newtype illustration book, but not quite entirely (a very small amount of new character sketches thrown in there, as far as I can tell). There's a prescript by and/or talking about Be-Papas, and a postscript by Yoji Enokido. Also, I found a cheap paper Shiori bookmark with that purple-background naked TV-series Shiori illustration on it, which would be nicer if the SHIORI written across the top wasn't an unpleasant shade of light peach. In the back of the book are a few more pages of script-type stuff that I'm not sure what to make of, but it's divided into smaller sections and makes me wonder if they might not be some form of deleted scenes...

The book's advertised pull-out poster is disappointing, consisting merely of the following three pictures laid horizontally next to each other. And it's small, of course, like the book.

http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/movie/Art03.jpg
http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/movie/Art04.jpg
http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/movie/Art19.jpg

Interesting stuff! I'm still willing to pass the book along to folks if they're willing to translate it. And Giovanni or Yasha, how would I go about scanning all the non-text stuff for addition to the gallery?

Last edited by Dallbun (11-16-2006 10:23:29 AM)

#42 | Back to Top11-16-2006 09:53:45 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Giovanna. emot-keke

New artwork makes me happy. Scan the new stuff and send it to me. However you go about this is up to you, I would prefer scans at as high a resolution as possible, and I'd be happy to do any cleaning up/resizing for you. If it's going to be less than 10MB of material, you can just e-mail it to me, but more than that and I'll make an FTP account on the domain for you.

MORE PICTURES etc-love etc-love etc-love

#43 | Back to Top11-16-2006 10:31:27 AM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

Giovanna. emot-keke

Right, I knew that. Yeah.

Anyway, I don't expect I'll have access to a scanner for a while, but I will in January if not before. Any recommendations on scanning pages when they go all the way into the spine? It's not a problem for the character design stuff, but the color pages in the front are like that. I guess I could always cut the spine carefully off the book...

#44 | Back to Top11-16-2006 10:52:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh, that depends on how willing you are to slaughter the book. I cut the spine on a couple of the artbooks for the gallery, but I decided the cause was greater than the value of the single book. cool

If you are going to slaughter it, a razor is your friend.

#45 | Back to Top11-16-2006 03:50:02 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Has anyone tried scanning in Japanese text?

I noticed that ReadIris (a software package that we have at work) has an Asian language module that you can buy as an add-on so that ReadIris can recognize Japanese characters. If this works pretty well, then we could electronically feed in text to some of the online translators that are out there. I'm thinking of using it to translate the guidebook to the Utena Sega Saturn game. Anyone else tried something like this?

#46 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:53:11 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

My novel arrived today! Gio, how do you want me to post the translations? The book is 200 pages but only 6 chapters, so each chapter is pretty long, I think.

#47 | Back to Top11-24-2006 03:58:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Wow that's a mouthful. What's easiest for you? Translating in chunks of ten pages? Attempting full chapters? For now I'd say let's keep it to the forum (start a new thread and I'll sticky), but once there's enough of the material translated to really sink our teeth into (chapter or two), I'd say that sucker needs a website. emot-smile

I'd be happy to host...hell...build it, myself. Of course it's your work, so what's done with it is thoroughly up to you, but however I can help, please let me know. We need to get this out to fans.

Especially since there's sweet sweet Saionji. (You're translating that one, yes? emot-keke)

#48 | Back to Top11-24-2006 08:25:50 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Wow that's a mouthful. What's easiest for you? Translating in chunks of ten pages? Attempting full chapters? For now I'd say let's keep it to the forum (start a new thread and I'll sticky), but once there's enough of the material translated to really sink our teeth into (chapter or two), I'd say that sucker needs a website. emot-smile

I'd be happy to host...hell...build it, myself. Of course it's your work, so what's done with it is thoroughly up to you, but however I can help, please let me know. We need to get this out to fans.

Especially since there's sweet sweet Saionji. (You're translating that one, yes? emot-keke)

XD Yes it's the Wakaba and Saionji novel. I'm about 15 pages in right now reading it, and it looks like there are chapter breaks. I'll see if the breaks are conducive to posting in chunks.

As for the website, it would seem best to me to have you guys host it as part of EM....but yeah like you said we can do that eventually.
yatta!

#49 | Back to Top11-24-2006 08:39:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YAY! Fandom really needs more Saionji. emot-frown

Who wrote the novel, BTW? (Was this covered and I'm retarded?) I mean, Saito did the art, but did she write? Judging from the things she drew, this is the series universe, not the manga one...

#50 | Back to Top11-25-2006 09:53:07 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

The novels were written by a guy named Ookouchi Ichiro. Apparently he's a pretty prolific anime screenwriter and concept developer as well as novelist...he did the screenplays for Turn A Gundam, Angelic Layer, and Rahxephon, among others.

According to amazon.co.jp he has also done a bunch of novels based on various anime, including Gundam and Nadeisico, and of course Utena.

Board footer