This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-11-2016 11:48:24 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Why is this forum targeted by spambots so much?

Pretty much every other day a spam account signs up and posts a bunch of spam topics. Why do they even waste their time on forum dedicated to a niche interest? I doubt the average IRG user is going to be first in line to buy a pair of Yeezys'. Has this forum always been aggressively targeted by spambots or it a more recent thing?

I'm also pretty surprised so many get past the region blocks, character-image-match and captcha.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#2 | Back to Top02-11-2016 12:16:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Why is this forum targeted by spambots so much?

I was part of a fairly dead forum a while back (which has since been shut down) that was also regularly spam-botted. I don't know spambot quality criteria but it seems to be the norm for any forum...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#3 | Back to Top02-11-2016 01:57:03 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Spambots are definitely something all forums have to deal with, it just seems that they pop up much more frequently here than any other forum I've seen. Maybe it seems that way because I've only frequented larger forums with more moderators.

Last edited by BunB (02-11-2016 01:57:53 PM)

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#4 | Back to Top02-12-2016 01:14:29 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I think you're onto the idea, the deader/slower a forum, the greater chance of feeling like there are more spambots since there are fewer mods around at any given time.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#5 | Back to Top02-12-2016 01:18:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hey, I'm around every day!  emot-tongue

We used to be targeted by spambots a lot, but recently it seems to me like it's slowed down.  Did you see a bunch of spam recently, BunB?  No one has hit the Report button on a spam post since late January.  (Which, by the way, you should totally do if you see a spam post -- it ensures that a mod will notice it as soon as they log in!)

#6 | Back to Top02-12-2016 01:57:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Correction! We're not targeted less. We're targeted more. But over the years I've added all kinds of things to filter out bots. So many I've frankly lost track, but it has helped over time. The hits I get from bots are still staggering, they just don't make it through.

Forums being, well, as they are a dead medium...(I saw an article claiming the late 90's-early 2000's to be the Forum Era. Hahahahaaha....

I almost suspect the death of things like forums and blogs, private endeavors, while headlined primarily by the development of social media, was made even worse by the nightmare of spam management. I remember having to delete dozens a day from personal blogs and such. It was ridiculous. Maybe that's why we are as a group not quite so bitchy about ads being everywhere. They're less intrusive than what we dealt with before, which is saying something. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top02-12-2016 09:47:05 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Robots love us. And want us to buy affordable Nikes.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#8 | Back to Top02-13-2016 12:26:40 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm glad they feel that way.

Yeah I think forums are pretty much a thing of the past at this point. XD I still enjoy them but the current tweenie generation....I don't know any of them who are active in any forums..

#9 | Back to Top02-13-2016 02:39:09 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

satyreyes wrote:

Hey, I'm around every day!  emot-tongue

We used to be targeted by spambots a lot, but recently it seems to me like it's slowed down.  Did you see a bunch of spam recently, BunB?  No one has hit the Report button on a spam post since late January.  (Which, by the way, you should totally do if you see a spam post -- it ensures that a mod will notice it as soon as they log in!)

Ok I was exxagerating a bit. Late January was also around the last time I saw spam as well. I'll defo be sure to report it though emot-biggrin

Board footer