This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:00:06 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Re: Utena Fanfiction Repository and the unfortunate lack thereof

Awesome news. etc-loveemot-dance

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#27 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:15:45 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Yasha wrote:

The only qualm I have about the ULE is... Okay, they were lemons, yes, but were they any good? I had to get Gio to explain what the ULE was, so I'm guessing that mostly they weren't terribly remarkable. I usually hear about the good stuff one way or another. Maybe we could keep them as text files in a zip or something?

We're already pretty committed with the Satellite and UFR. I hate to come off as a bitch, but we can't extend ourselves to everything-- if someone else is willing to make a webpage for the ULE, it'd be no problem for us to host it, but since it never had one in the first place we'd have to build one from scratch and we don't have the time for it. You saw how long it took us to get the new site info and Akio shrine in.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned... I have enough on my plate with the fanfics and wallpapers and analysis and all of that, I don't know the quality of this stuff, and I don't have a whole lot of time to invest in it, especially not if the quality is unknown.

What would you guys be willing to take as far as ULE? The site is our baby, but it would be pointless without all of you. Let me know what you all think, and we'll see what we can work out.

Some of them were pretty good, and some were... well, bad. On purpose. But they ended up funny. (Crash Test Dummies From Hell was an example, but I can't remember if it was posted as part of the ULE.)

(There was also that one Utena/Touga lemon that Chris Davies described as "disgusting", simply because he didn't like Touga. What a firestorm THAT set off. (I wonder why he's not writing 'fic now?))

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#28 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:24:12 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I don't really know the history behind all that, it was before my time. But by all means, we'd be happy to host... I just can't commit to building an entire subsite for it. UFR and Satellite are okay, because we already have the source code and images. This one has no source code or images, so it's an entirely different proposition. If someone wants to code it, we would be happy to have it as a subsite.

I wish I could invest the time, but neither Gio nor I get paid for this-- we gotta work our 9-5's, and go to school besides. If someone can somehow give me an extra four hours every day, I'll take it. In a second. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:35:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

I wish I could invest the time, but neither Gio nor I get paid for this-- we gotta work our 9-5's, and go to school besides. If someone can somehow give me an extra four hours every day, I'll take it. In a second. emot-frown

More like 8-5 for me. emot-frown I need more like 24 hours more a day. emot-frown

As for the UFR, it's meant to be an archive of the original project. Lady Brick is not going to be updating it anymore, and Yasha and I cannot run two different fanfic sites. The goal here is to keep available for everyone a very big slice of SKU fandom. If someone wants to start up a new site that serves the same purpose as the UFR once did, that would be great and I would love to see it, but the intent here is to preserve the work made, not reopen the site.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top10-23-2006 01:06:22 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

..UFR? emot-aaa I have never, ever heard of this. But I'm so thrilled to hear that it might be restored now, because it sounds awesome. emot-keke Wah, I emo sometimes about being such a newbie Utena fans. emot-frown

#31 | Back to Top10-23-2006 07:19:02 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Giovanna wrote:

As for the UFR, it's meant to be an archive of the original project. Lady Brick is not going to be updating it anymore, and Yasha and I cannot run two different fanfic sites. The goal here is to keep available for everyone a very big slice of SKU fandom. If someone wants to start up a new site that serves the same purpose as the UFR once did, that would be great and I would love to see it, but the intent here is to preserve the work made, not reopen the site.

Understandable. It's still great news that the UFR might be coming back, in whatever form. The internet has long been without a home for some of the older good Utena fanfiction! emot-dance

#32 | Back to Top10-23-2006 07:31:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ger wrote:

Understandable. It's still great news that the UFR might be coming back, in whatever form. The internet has long been without a home for some of the older good Utena fanfiction! emot-dance

Oh it's definite. I already have Lady Brick's copy, I'm just waiting on her to answer back about the four lemons and what address she'd prefer.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#33 | Back to Top11-01-2006 04:37:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WHAT'S THIS PRECIOUS

Yup, here you go kiddies. You get a sneak preview before I mention it on the front page in an update. emot-smile

http://ufr.ohtori.nu/

#34 | Back to Top11-01-2006 04:46:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!! etc-wankgirl

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#35 | Back to Top11-01-2006 04:51:14 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

THANK YOU GIO AND YASHA!

#36 | Back to Top11-01-2006 05:55:09 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

THANKS SO MUCH!!

#37 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:44:01 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

Cheers for Gio and Yasha! emot-dance

Laurie

#38 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:30:53 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I know. We rule. emot-dance

Edit: I was being polite, but you're correct. I rule.

Last edited by Giovanna (11-02-2006 11:34:38 AM)

#39 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:33:03 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You mean you rule, dear. I never even saw the thing, I was studying emot-frown

#40 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:38:14 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Woot!  I was missing the UFR.  Um, the bits of Archimage archived there are fairly short of the actual chapters out, and the website on those pages is wrong.  Once you get everything up and running and are happy with it, any chance of updates to existing fics in the UFR?  I'm happy to try to get everything into the right format and such so all you have to do is drop it in...

Oh, and this?

Also I stumbled on this while searching around. http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?tit … Girl_Utena Even mentions when we update! (Although they're off by two years about when I opened the site, it was in 2000, I got it its own domain in 2002.

I'm sorry I got the dates wrong, but I was tossing the entry together on the fly.  Please, go update it!  Everyone!  Fix the problems!  Someone started the stub, and I couldn't stand looking at the stub, so fleshed it out.  I was using the Wayback Machine liberally to ballpark the dates, and could not, for the life of me, remember Empty Movement's original domain.  I remembered that it changed, but nothing else!

#41 | Back to Top11-02-2006 11:55:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

tohubohu wrote:

Woot!  I was missing the UFR.  Um, the bits of Archimage archived there are fairly short of the actual chapters out, and the website on those pages is wrong.  Once you get everything up and running and are happy with it, any chance of updates to existing fics in the UFR?  I'm happy to try to get everything into the right format and such so all you have to do is drop it in...

Yeah I'll definitely fix the URL, lemme know there. As for updating the fics, that kinda dances on the line of whether the site's static. In the case of Archimage, and other fics that are already on the site, I'd be willing to deal personally with the writers to update them if they express interest, especially if the formatting is done for me. emot-wink

Archimage fits squarely into what I'd be willing to change, but I didn't take over the UFR, I'm hosting an archive. So while I'd be fine with that, at this time I have no intention of opening up donations to it or adding new fics. Lady Brick did express interest in continuing some of the work there, but that I will leave up to her. As it stands, authors with fics already there are welcome to update/add chapters, but I won't be accepting new work.

tohubohu wrote:

Also I stumbled on this while searching around. http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?tit … Girl_Utena Even mentions when we update! (Although they're off by two years about when I opened the site, it was in 2000, I got it its own domain in 2002.

I'm sorry I got the dates wrong, but I was tossing the entry together on the fly.  Please, go update it!  Everyone!  Fix the problems!  Someone started the stub, and I couldn't stand looking at the stub, so fleshed it out.  I was using the Wayback Machine liberally to ballpark the dates, and could not, for the life of me, remember Empty Movement's original domain.  I remembered that it changed, but nothing else!

No problem duder, I already corrected it. It looks like it's been fleshed out pretty well, I'm kinda embarrassed by how much of this stuff I was around for. I'm a relic. emot-gonk (But then you win on me there... emot-biggrin)

#42 | Back to Top11-02-2006 12:45:50 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Ah, beautiful. Some great stuff is back online. Thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty, Giovanna! ...though I suppose you're doing that by hosting Empty Movement and this forum in the first place. emot-wink

#43 | Back to Top11-02-2006 04:57:14 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Hocrap, my MiST is still there. XD

One of these days, I'll finish that one MiST I've been meaning to finish... ehehe. emot-keke;

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#44 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:44:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Ah, beautiful. Some great stuff is back online. Thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty, Giovanna! ...though I suppose you're doing that by hosting Empty Movement and this forum in the first place. emot-wink

I only do what I can to keep the best fan community on the internet happy. emot-smile

#45 | Back to Top11-09-2006 04:00:37 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

This is now on Fanhistory~! http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?tit … Utena#2006

How fun~!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#46 | Back to Top11-09-2006 08:37:56 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

OH WOW O:

I remember some of theeese. Thanks you two.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

Board footer