This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-07-2006 09:19:51 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Rewatching Utena (I WANT YOU TO PLAY TOO)

Romanticide wrote:

I love the live action!! etc-love It may not be for everyone tastes but I love how they gave more depth to the rest of the sailors and not just Usagi/Serena/Bunny.

I agree! That is basically the main reason that I like it so much, actually. They even gave extra-extra depth to Usagi, which was really nice. Especially with how they showed Princess Serenity--in every other version she almost never shows up, and when she does she is portrayed as this flawless, kind-souled being, so it was really refreshing to see this new side to her.

Romanticide wrote:

*Tania Remembers her subbed episodes and original dvd finale are in her hometown... Tania starts crying patheticall*

Speaking of crying pathetically, that is basically all I do when I watch that show. emot-redface
Sailor Moon: *scrapes her knee*
Me: OHHH USAGI-CHAN *bursts into tears*

Okay, okay, going off topic. emot-tongue

#27 | Back to Top11-07-2006 11:48:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

If you want to decide for yourself if the live action series Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is any good or not watch these:

P G Sailor Moon Episode 1-A

P G Sailor Moon Episode 1-B

Edit: Sorry I didn't realise that they were paradies until I watched it... if I find any proper episodes, I will post it

Last edited by Tamago (11-08-2006 04:05:53 AM)

#28 | Back to Top11-08-2006 09:25:57 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Nessy wrote:

I agree! That is basically the main reason that I like it so much, actually. They even gave extra-extra depth to Usagi, which was really nice. Especially with how they showed Princess Serenity--in every other version she almost never shows up, and when she does she is portrayed as this flawless, kind-souled being, so it was really refreshing to see this new side to her.

I never got past the part Nephrite is killed and revives. emot-frown

Speaking of crying pathetically, that is basically all I do when I watch that show. emot-redface
Sailor Moon: *scrapes her knee*
Me: OHHH USAGI-CHAN *bursts into tears*

Okay, okay, going off topic. emot-tongue

I was talking about about not being able to see Utena, but yes many episodes of the anime are king of repetitive... I wonder how many episodes a light-version would have (same storyline... less fillers)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#29 | Back to Top11-09-2006 02:43:39 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

This thread kind went offtopic, but since I'm the one usually steering threads off topic I'm not going to complain. emot-gonk

I just finished 13, and I tell you. I like Touga a lot more than I ever did. I think it's because I was such a yuri fangirl back when I was into Utena I had a hard time seeing him as any more than an obstaclel between Utena hooking up with Anthy/Wakaba.

I almost forgot precicely why I loved Juri so much in the first place. Her ability to disregard all that composure and dignity when it's not getting her her way is so cute. Mmm, dancing rabbits.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#30 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:50:19 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

How's this for an idea? Next person to watch Utena through from the start: keep a Slap Log. I really want that settled once and for all. Note who slaps who and when. emot-wink I suppose you'd also have to count other physical strikes such as Utena slapping Touga away in episode 3, or Saionji backhanding Miki in episode 25. This would be a great service to Utena fandom! school-eng101

#31 | Back to Top11-10-2006 11:28:50 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Dallbun wrote:

How's this for an idea? Next person to watch Utena through from the start: keep a Slap Log. I really want that settled once and for all. Note who slaps who and when. emot-wink I suppose you'd also have to count other physical strikes such as Utena slapping Touga away in episode 3, or Saionji backhanding Miki in episode 25. This would be a great service to Utena fandom! school-eng101

...That sounds so crazy I want to do it. I almost feel as though there should be a list of things like that to take notes of at the end of an episode. Maybe a who touches who, how and when? emot-confused

#32 | Back to Top11-11-2006 03:40:55 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I actually did have a slap counter for one watch through... and now I forget what it was up to. ;_;

I think it was somewhere in the teens, though.

It's also hard to know what counts. For example, does Nanami knocking flowers out of Utena's hand count as a slap? (It uses the same sound effect, but Nanami doesn't hit Utena herself.) Or when Utena double-slaps Saionji to wake him up, is that two slaps or one?

The one thing I remember for certain is that the first arc has by far the most slaps going on. They're everywhere.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#33 | Back to Top11-11-2006 06:00:32 PM

Dallbun

Ragnarok wrote:

It's also hard to know what counts. For example, does Nanami knocking flowers out of Utena's hand count as a slap? (It uses the same sound effect, but Nanami doesn't hit Utena herself.) Or when Utena double-slaps Saionji to wake him up, is that two slaps or one?

That's why you would keep a whole log, noting who and in what episode and any notes like that that need to be addressed. Then people could keep their own tally, though I imagine it would be easy to note the tally of "slaps across the face" and "all physical strikes". emot-biggrin

#34 | Back to Top11-12-2006 06:37:04 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

All right, I'll play this game.  I'm going to set down a few ground rules for myself, but basically I'm trying to be as complete as possible.

Rule 1)  Two people have to be involved.  Saionji swinging a practice sword at the air doesn't count, nor would, say, a brick randomly landing on (insert your least favorite character here)'s head if that actually happened in-show. 

Rule 2)  There has to be evidence someone at least tried to hit the other person.  Either something shown on screen or a sound effect is required.

Rule 3)  The hit doesn't actually have to land.

Rule 4)  Duels don't count.  I will be noting when they start and stop, and if anyone other than those competing get hit.  Also, any obvious, egreigous violations of the duel code go here, so Nanami's first duel will probably have a fair amount of notation when I get there.

That said.....

Episode 1

4:56  Schoolmarm strikes the screen with her riding crop, creating a cracking effect.  The 'glass' falls away to reveal Utena not very upset and flipping through the rule book, so we can assume she wasn't actually hit.

5:20  Utena pushing her way through the basketball court.  This one's pretty borderline, but I decided to include it since several of the boys look pretty unbalanced.

7:30 + 7:32:  Saionji slapping Anthy.  Iconic series moment.  Only included twice because of the 'echo' effect.

7:42:  Touga stopping Saionji from smacking again.  (Toldya this was going to be needlessly complete.)

7:48:  Wakaba tackling Utena near the open window.

8:46:  Almost made it a minute without something that can be vaguely defined as violence!  This time Wakaba gets Utena in a chokehold/hug that doesn't look at all comfortable for our Prince.

9:45:  Eh, gonna go out on a limb here and call Saionji clutching Anthy to his side as a 'counts', only because Anthy doesn't seem too thrilled with the prospect.

17:09  Saionji slaps Anthy again, this time actually knocking her down.

18:34  Bells toll.  The duel is on.

20:35  Bells toll.  Duel off.

Episode ends.

#35 | Back to Top11-12-2006 06:41:14 PM

Dallbun

CMK wrote:

(Episode 1)

That is, indeed, needlessly complete. emot-wink But pretty awesome. You're going above and beyond the call of slap-counting duty. Me, I was just thinking of counting successful, deliberate strikes with a single unarmed... uh, arm, so I would only have noted down Saionji Slaps Anthy 1 and Saionji Slaps Anthy: the Revenge.

#36 | Back to Top11-12-2006 07:11:42 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Dallbun wrote:

That is, indeed, needlessly complete. emot-wink But pretty awesome. You're going above and beyond the call of slap-counting duty. Me, I was just thinking of counting successful, deliberate strikes with a single unarmed... uh, arm, so I would only have noted down Saionji Slaps Anthy 1 and Saionji Slaps Anthy: the Revenge.

Basically, if we're gonna do this, let's do it right is what I'm thinking.  Especially on Wakaba, if I don't list it I know someone's gonna call me on it.

Episode 2

3:38  Wakaba being overly-enthusiastic with the hugs again.  Starts with an almost-choke-hold and jumping up and down.  This goes on for a few seconds, then Wakaba leaps on Utena for a piggy-back ride.

10:57  At the end of Saionji swinging the sword for practice, he clearly senses someone approaching, then brings the sword around in Touga's direction.  Now, I think Saionji's good enough that he knows he's not going to hit whoever it is, but it's just debatable enough that I'm putting it in.

11:40  Again, swinging the sword at Touga by the green-haired one.  Again, borderline.

12:45  Saionji slaps Anthy again, this time out in front of the dorm.

13:16  Chu-chu poking at Saionji with a fork . . .

13:19  . . . And Saionji stepping on Chu-Chu in response.

13:57  Even though it's part of the above, I'll count grinding Chu-Chu under his heel as a separate offense for Saionji

18:03  Duel start

20:30  Duel end

#37 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:57:43 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

*Thread rises from the ashes like a Phoenix*

The time has finally arrived --- I will be rewatching SKU at long last, starting either today or tomorrow!  Now, my watching habits are probably different than many here... I don't watch heaps of episodes in one sitting and polish off a series in a matter of days, but rather I watch an episode a day, 4 or 5 days out of each week.   This also gives me plenty of time to absorb every episode of every show that I watch.  It also means that I'll be living in the SKUniverse for no less than a month and a half! emot-dance

With that, I am tossing around the idea of starting an episode-by-episode blog/discussion thread.. either here in this thread or by starting a completely new one.  How successful such an idea would be would depend on how much I figure I can write on each episode, and how many people want to join in with observations and reflections.  These would be primarily basic episode outlines and observations, with maybe a little interpretation and deconstruction, though the latter would not be the focus of the posts... that's what the rest of the SKU forum is for. emot-wink

Another alternative would be to make a post after every 5 episodes or so, to reduce the chance of lack of material to talk about (though with SKU that shouldn't pose much of a problem) and give each post more material to work with.  Or I could just leave it to a post after each main story arc.

I haven't watched SKU in a long long time, so I know there is tons of stuff I've forgotten, so it'll be almost like rediscovering the series all over again! emot-dance

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Any better ideas? emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#38 | Back to Top04-08-2007 09:03:13 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Buf, i've seen Utena (complete) like 3 or 4 times (last time, last month) when i share it with my friends 8D, and i don't want to do it again emot-gonk i always end depressed.

But okay... if many people joins, we could talk about certain things each 5 episodes...

#39 | Back to Top04-10-2007 09:09:03 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Rewatching the series gave me a better appreciation for all the characters, because I know their motives and personalities from beforehand. It also gives me a chance to analyze it better, notice things I didn't notice before and focus on different things. When I first watched the series I was pretty much indifferent to all the characters until the Black Rose Arc so now it's more fun.

Giovanna wrote:

If it were redone, I would be All. Over. It. Leave the script alone. Leave the shots alone. Hell, leave the voice acting alone. Just for the love of god reanimate it. All the best shots in the series look like they were drawn by monkeys on speed. emot-gonk

You took the words right out of my mouth.

But I wouldn't mind a few additions, more clarifications.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#40 | Back to Top04-11-2007 07:14:07 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I just rewatched -- in one weekend (that is my anime watching habit, yes).  But I can try to participate.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#41 | Back to Top04-11-2007 04:33:47 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

I intend to rewatch just BlackRose soon. I brushed it off as just boring filler emot-gonk firstly, but you guys've made me see it sure isn't. That, and it would be fun to rewatch it with the image of our poptart wieding hero in mind emot-biggrin poptart

#42 | Back to Top04-11-2007 07:07:51 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

That's what I'm afraid of when I get to the Black Rose arc... that it will have been corrupted by poptart emot-biggrin

As it is, today watching episode 3 (the party episode), Touga's line "You're in luck. I'm Touga Kiryuu, totally normal guy." cracked me up.

IRG has changed the series forever for me, hehe. emot-wink

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#43 | Back to Top04-11-2007 10:53:47 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I can't watch the first two episodes without all the quotes from the fandub getting in my head. emot-gonk

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#44 | Back to Top04-12-2007 08:18:42 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Well, i was watching yesterday the last episodes of the black rose saga poptart poptart and now i'm more confused than the firsts times xDD

#45 | Back to Top04-12-2007 11:21:56 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

On the subject of reanimating SKU, I think what it really needs is remastering. This boring guide shows how you can clean up the DVD footage to look ten times better with just a few open source tools. There's a reason he uses SKU as the example source - it's one of the worst anime DVD transfers ever.

Spreading the 1st arc over 4 DVDs, and raising the bit rate for each episode would be easy enough. Photoshopping out the hairs and other filth on the cells would also be nice, but what really bugs me is the way the frame jerks up and down on every scene cut, revealing the burnt edges. All this could be fixed if there was sufficient demand.

What DVD special features would you like to see on a remastered DVD set ?

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#46 | Back to Top04-12-2007 02:54:08 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Black Rose, Akio, and Apocalypse arcs all look good to me, but the Seitokai arc is in dire need of restoration. My main request aside from a cleaned up picture: no hard subs!

I'd grab a restored first arc without a second thought.

I'd also buy a completely restored / 5.1 mixed version of the entire series (think Evangelion platinum level restoration) the second it was released.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-12-2007 02:54:30 PM)

#47 | Back to Top04-12-2007 03:35:53 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Maarika wrote:

I can't watch the first two episodes without all the quotes from the fandub getting in my head. emot-gonk

*raise hand* Guilty.

school-devilschool-devilschool-devilpoptartpoptartschool-devilschool-devil

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#48 | Back to Top04-15-2007 09:04:09 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Today's random amusing favorite moment:

Utena and Miki are watching Nanami and Mitsuru from the window.  Sainoji drops in on their little voyeurism...

Episode 6 - Take Care, Nanami! wrote:

Utena:  Is that what she calls a boyfriend?
Miki:  I have no idea.
Saionji:  However cruel, as long as he is with the only one he loves, he will be happy.
Saionji:  That's another form of love, as love can take many forms.
Saionji:  And I'd say this love between Anthy and I is a secret love.
Saionji:  A secret love...

Utena:  Nobody's listening to you.

Utena's response is a great 'drop to the floor' moment!  The way she completely blows off Saionji when he's trying to be philosophical and feel important.

The Seitokai arc is still in introduction mode, but I'm already getting back into the SKU groove, and am looking forward to when things really start to pick up!  And Nanami's Egg, of course. emot-keke

It's been so long since I've watched SKU, it's like reuniting wth a long lost friend! etc-love  Lots to catch up on, and things I've forgotten in the time I've been away.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (04-15-2007 09:07:46 PM)

#49 | Back to Top04-15-2007 09:11:31 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Giovanna wrote:

something about animation done by monkeys on speed

Are you sure they weren't Peak Point monkeys? OH NOES! Specter is trying to take over anime! What'll we do?

(...dammit, I have GOT to stop derailing threads! And I have got to stop playing the Ape Escape games!)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#50 | Back to Top04-16-2007 12:01:28 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Today's random amusing favorite moment:

Utena and Miki are watching Nanami and Mitsuru from the window.  Sainoji drops in on their little voyeurism...

Episode 6 - Take Care, Nanami! wrote:

Utena:  Is that what she calls a boyfriend?
Miki:  I have no idea.
Saionji:  However cruel, as long as he is with the only one he loves, he will be happy.
Saionji:  That's another form of love, as love can take many forms.
Saionji:  And I'd say this love between Anthy and I is a secret love.
Saionji:  A secret love...

Utena:  Nobody's listening to you.

Utena's response is a great 'drop to the floor' moment!  The way she completely blows off Saionji when he's trying to be philosophical and feel important.

Ahaha! I remember Saionji was even holding his secret diary in that scene! emot-biggrin

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

Board footer