This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-27-2007 01:25:01 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Grist for the MSTing

Hey all. I do fanfic MSTings sometimes, and feel like doing a new one. Unfortunately, I don't think the couple of fanfic candidates I've been poking at are really working out - the chemistry just isn't there. Thus, anyone know of any entertainingly bad (emphasis on 'entertainingly') Utena fanfics floating around? (Or other stuff - I've done mostly Sailor Moon so far. But this is the Utena-related board, so yeah.) The Satellite of Revolution MSTings were my major inspiration to start, so I think it'd be fun to try out.

#2 | Back to Top10-27-2007 01:30:03 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Re: Grist for the MSTing

I don't know how entertaining my old things are, but they are spectacularly bad. emot-gonk

Have at it. school-chef

#3 | Back to Top10-27-2007 01:42:31 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

You can always MST the crapfics submitted on here. Recently there was a bad fanfic craze that resulted in two abominations. One is by Giovanna and Yasha, which I highly recommend. The other is by yours truly. But I guess deliberate badness takes away from the fun.

I have found a few gems, however. This one has everything. Horrendous spelling, an obnoxious incredibly emo original character, an Ipod and ridiculous descriptions. Oh, and Utena refers to her breasts as "booboos" and falls in love with the OC. Here are some samples...

- Perhaps she already drowned, and only sinks her corpse beneath water for the rush. Amy probably wouldn’t be drowning if she wasn’t ill with Leukemia. Ballet made her life an underwater universe, filled with glass castles and dreams. But after being told she was too ill to become a true professional dancer, she drowned. Her body was so weak, her doctor enforced a rule that she was not allowed to do any of the strenuous movements, so she pursued a career as a business owning pig’s maid. Amy managed to stay afloat for a while, you have to move on, she thought. But one thing her doctor didn’t know...was this auditorium’s use every single day. She didn’t mind dying as long as she had that.

- The woman (Utena) stared at Amy, with a rather amused and surprised face” I completely agree...that’s why I have these booboos...”. Amy didn’t even attempt to understand the woman as she lifted her arm over her shoulders and began walking home...

Here's the link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3504019/1/B … nd_mirrors

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#4 | Back to Top10-27-2007 02:01:52 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I admire anyone who can do a good MST. I tend to not have the stomach to read any material that deserves it.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2007 02:07:03 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Holy. Crap.

I just re-read Miki's Embarrassment. I knew that it was bad. I just didn't realize how bad it truly was until nearly five years later.

Is it bad that I'm contemplating suicide? I mean, god. emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

#6 | Back to Top10-27-2007 02:23:26 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

No suicide. We all have things we'd rather forget having done.

#7 | Back to Top10-27-2007 01:31:31 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Here here. I remember a fanfic I wrote where my lead character melted the villain's heart with a soulful rendition of "My Heart Will Go On". If everybody who wrote a bad fanfic committed suicide, the Anime industry would be out of business.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#8 | Back to Top10-27-2007 09:06:07 PM

Dallbun

...this looks kind of amazing. etc-love Thanks a lot, Jellineck, I'm going to download this one and see if it doesn't get the gears a churnin'!

Nilamarthiel, we've all written bad fanfiction, and whatever bad fanfiction one has written, there's someone else who's written something worse. There is no shame! ...or at least not too much shame.

#9 | Back to Top10-27-2007 10:58:45 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I have a soft spot for stuff that's of the "so bad it's good" variety, but there are some things that I just can't make it through, like The Worst Fanfic Ever Written.

#10 | Back to Top10-29-2007 02:28:34 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Here are some samples...

- Her body was so weak, her doctor enforced a rule that she was not allowed to do any of the strenuous movements, so she pursued a career as a business owning pig’s maid.

Whoever wrote this has never done serious housework, much less the work of a servant employed to perform housework.

#11 | Back to Top10-29-2007 05:33:22 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Would anyone who's done real work write such bad fics?

Non sequitur ftw.

#12 | Back to Top03-10-2008 07:22:02 PM

Dallbun

MSTing of "Beyond the Smoke and Mirrors," done and done. I can't upload stuff to my own website for several more months, so I just threw it on  a file uploading site type thing. Hope it works. Enjoy?

http://amsterdam1.plunder.com/118881/mct11_sandm.txt

(If not that, then maybe http://www.plunder.com/-download-118881.htm)

This was fun. And very, very slow-going to riff. And I never want to read another description of how pretty someone is ever again. Thanks for suggesting it, Jellineck. Oh, and thanks for the housework comment, tohubohu. emot-smile

#13 | Back to Top03-12-2008 10:58:48 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Dallbun, I never read fanfics, but I really didn't feel like doing my work, so I read your MST.  It's hilarious. Good job!

And now I'm downloading some real MST3K.  Who doesn't love this show?

#14 | Back to Top03-13-2008 08:06:54 AM

Black Mantha
Mikage Mistruster

OK, that was great. Although now I'll have nightmares over feral attack breasts...

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
- Winston Churchill

#15 | Back to Top03-13-2008 08:55:15 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Holy. Crap.

I just re-read Miki's Embarrassment. I knew that it was bad. I just didn't realize how bad it truly was until nearly five years later.

Is it bad that I'm contemplating suicide? I mean, god. emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

I know the guy who wrote it-- Richard Gallivan, right? He played Akio in a very bizarre online Utena roleplay group that I ran for a couple years back in high school. Man, good memories. That guy was hilarious.

Anyway... fics to MST, huh?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/118446/1/Th … a_and_Akio
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/413434/1/Mu … ra_no_Saga

I'm not sure how "terrible" they are. I mostly get compliments from them, but at the same time they're... well... I'll call them "badly-good."

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#16 | Back to Top03-13-2008 03:28:14 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Dallbun wrote:

MSTing of "Beyond the Smoke and Mirrors," done and done. I can't upload stuff to my own website for several more months, so I just threw it on  a file uploading site type thing. Hope it works. Enjoy?

http://amsterdam1.plunder.com/118881/mct11_sandm.txt

(If not that, then maybe http://www.plunder.com/-download-118881.htm)

This was fun. And very, very slow-going to riff. And I never want to read another description of how pretty someone is ever again. Thanks for suggesting it, Jellineck. Oh, and thanks for the housework comment, tohubohu. emot-smile

Funny stuff.  I especially appreciate your nods to the original format, complete with guest spots.  It helps that your parody also features a riffer named Crow (as in Sailor Lead Crow, natch).  Is it bad that I imagine Galaxia as Pearl Forrester?  I haven't seen much of SailorStars, maybe half of that arc at most, so I don't have much to go on in terms of her original characterization. Then again, this is Sailor Moon we're talking about, so I can't imagine that she's much different from your average Queen Beryl.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#17 | Back to Top03-14-2008 12:37:17 AM

Dallbun

Glad people are enjoying it! Sorry for the Sailor Stars stuff framing the Utena. Hopefully it's not too distracting.

mercurynin wrote:

Funny stuff.  I especially appreciate your nods to the original format, complete with guest spots.  It helps that your parody also features a riffer named Crow (as in Sailor Lead Crow, natch).  Is it bad that I imagine Galaxia as Pearl Forrester?  I haven't seen much of SailorStars, maybe half of that arc at most, so I don't have much to go on in terms of her original characterization. Then again, this is Sailor Moon we're talking about, so I can't imagine that she's much different from your average Queen Beryl.

Thanks! Yeah, I originally didn't intend, for instance, to have a variation on the MST3k opening theme, or even to name the series in that fashion (because both of those things are overdone in fanfiction MSTings)... but then I realized I had a "Crow," and couldn't resist. And yeah, nods to the show are fun. In my fourth MSTing I did an invention exchange. emot-keke

Galaxia is, as you say, just another Beryl, albeit one with somewhat better presence and intimidation value. (The real Big Bads in the Sailor Moon anime tend to be character-light... their subgenerals are much better.) Since my fanfiction Galaxia is supposed to be a Pearl kind of character, the thought is perfectly appropriate!

Anybody else done any MST stuff around here? The old Shinji's Vault / Everything What is Crap site just died, so I'm kind of curious about the state of the community.

#18 | Back to Top03-14-2008 06:49:24 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I was MSTing my own Purple Rose Saga for a while WAY back when, but FFN took it down when they enacted their rule against MSTs. :roll:

And I have had my work MSTed before... if anyone ever pays a visit to the Satellite of Revolution, you might find a little gem called "The Great Outdoors."

#19 | Back to Top03-15-2008 07:08:09 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

I was MSTing my own Purple Rose Saga for a while WAY back when, but FFN took it down when they enacted their rule against MSTs. :roll:

And I have had my work MSTed before... if anyone ever pays a visit to the Satellite of Revolution, you might find a little gem called "The Great Outdoors."

I'm rereading SoR, and that's the fic I'm reading next.  Congratulations/I'm so sorry.

This makes me glad that all the anime fanfic I wrote in high school was written longhand, and I never put any of it online.  emot-redface

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#20 | Back to Top03-16-2008 05:02:06 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

mercurynin wrote:

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

I'm rereading SoR, and that's the fic I'm reading next.  Congratulations/I'm so sorry.

This makes me glad that all the anime fanfic I wrote in high school was written longhand, and I never put any of it online.  emot-redface

Oh, I had a great time reading the MST of my fic. Plus if I remember correctly it's the only fic in the series of fics that were MSTed that received any remarks resembling compliments from the characters. But yeah, I laughed out loud through the whole thing. I would have appreciated it more if Chris Rain would have asked my permission first, but when I shot him an email, we had a pretty fun conversation.

Board footer