This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-02-2013 06:36:09 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

How would [fictional character] act in the Utena world?

Take a character from another series. Send them to Ohtori. See how they react. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Atropos (03-03-2013 01:50:16 PM)

#2 | Back to Top03-02-2013 07:42:32 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: How would [fictional character] act in the Utena world?

For World End’s Messiah (currently 5 Chapters out), I wrote a somewhat complicated post series both series scenario, with the two worlds merged into one. 

In WEM, Akio (half of a First Ancestral Race entity, think NGE angel Israfel) takes on Asuka’s identity after 3I to bewitch Shinji, who is given power over the will of the Collective Consciousness by Rei/Lilith.   Their dynamic is one similar to Anthy-Mamiya and Mikage in the Black Rose Arc.  Akio needs Shinji’s power – manifesting as the Sword of Humanity - to fight his current nemesis Anthy (Akio’s other half), who got Utena on her side; Utena, who became the “Calyx” to the “Rose of Light”(Power of Dios) after having merged with the souls of many who died since 2I up till around 3I.  Akio has control over those who stayed behind in Ohtori post Revolution (to the point he can change them into “things” like he did in the movie), and Anthy has gained the support of the resurrected Nerv HQ (most of the crew plus Rei and Kaworu), and is now safekeeping the Rose and the Calyx down in Terminal Dogma.  With Akio eager to seize the Rose of Light so he may finally regain Dios’ full power, and Anthy eager to destroy Akio to keep Utena safe, it is Ohtori VS Nerv, where characters from both shows are set to clash via bio-robo battles, duels, mind-games, espionage and much, much more.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top03-03-2013 05:51:42 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Say...

Mods, could we expand this to a more general 'How would [fictional character] act in the Utena world?' thread?

#4 | Back to Top03-03-2013 06:31:56 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Atropos wrote:

Mods, could we expand this to a more general 'How would [fictional character] act in the Utena world?' thread?

Heh, I was just thinking of a similar topic ("how would they react to watching the show") though I don't know how interesting that topic would be.

#5 | Back to Top03-03-2013 01:05:14 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Atropos wrote:

Say...

For sure, changing thread title.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top03-07-2013 11:29:50 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Oh hey, I want to write some fics about this! Specifically with Disney characters, more specifically human!Lion King stuff.

I know for my thing, I have it that Mufasa is a duelist who goes along with it hook, line and sinker. He's not one to question authority, unlike Scar. Scar (who was going to be a girl in my thing because reasons) basically fills a role similar to Kozue or Anthy, in the younger sibling that acts out and is essentially doomed to be a witch. and of course, she actually has a much better idea of what was really going on at Ohtori than her brother, including knowing Akio and what's he's really like due to having some, er, relations. And given that this is Utena, Mufasa isn't the holy righteous prince of goodness he projects and people assume him to be. Very much not. Especially because he has a rather, um, interesting relationship with his sister (because that's how things roll at Ohtori).

I'm not sure how I was going to end it, though. I just planned to write it for the sake of writing it and see where it went.

#7 | Back to Top03-08-2013 08:00:16 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Being that I value Please Save My Earth as the only 90s anime/manga that can rival (small voice: and maybe surpass) Utena, I am in fact very interested in seeing a crossover between the two shows.  The fact that that both shows have superhuman aliens - entire PSME cast, Akio & Anthy from SKU - should make a fusion and/or X-over workable.  Cunning protagonist/antagonist Shion's Indian-seeming features can also be used to connect him to A&A in a fic setting. 

As for why I'm not writing it myself?  Well, Seinen Kakumei (Utena with Penguindrum elements) had taught me the hazard of crossing two semi-obscure series - fans of one show might have null exposure to the other.  As far as I know, most SKU fans have not even seen PSME to begin with: to cross a small fandom series like SKU with a microscopic fandom series like PSME could mean a zero-reader fic emot-frown

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#8 | Back to Top03-08-2013 08:05:04 PM

Kexx
Miki Molester
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Being that I value Please Save My Earth as the only 90s anime/manga that can rival (small voice: and maybe surpass) Utena, I am in fact very interested in seeing a crossover between the two shows.  The fact that that both shows have superhuman aliens - entire PSME cast, Akio & Anthy from SKU - should make a fusion and/or X-over workable.  Cunning protagonist/antagonist Shion's Indian-seeming features can also be used to connect him to A&A in a fic setting. 

As for why I'm not writing it myself?  Well, Seinen Kakumei (Utena with Penguindrum elements) had taught me the hazard of crossing two semi-obscure series - fans of one show might have null exposure to the other.  As far as I know, most SKU fans have not even seen PSME to begin with: to cross a small fandom series like SKU with a microscopic fandom series like PSME could mean a zero-reader fic emot-frown

Is that the show where a girl drinks placenta tea or something like that?

#9 | Back to Top03-08-2013 08:12:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Quoting Wiki, Please Save My Earth is about "six teenagers and a seven-year-old boy who share common dreams about their past lives as alien scientists who observed the Earth from the Moon."  The entire 21 vol. scanlated manga was available online for a long time, before the whole thing got licensed by Viz Media.

#10 | Back to Top11-16-2014 12:09:27 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I've done this an fanfiic that odds are I'll never finish, Durarara!!'s cast exists in the SKU universe. For those not familiar with Durarara!!: (description taken from MAL)

In Tokyo's downtown district of Ikebukuro, amidst many strange rumors and warnings of anonymous gangs and dangerous occupants, one urban legend stands out above the rest—the existence of a headless "Black Rider" who is said to be seen driving a jet-black motorcycle through the city streets.

Ryuugamine Mikado has always longed for the excitement of the city life, and an invitation from a childhood friend convinces him to move to Tokyo. Witnessing the Black Rider on his first day in the city, his wishes already seem to have been granted. But as supernatural events begin to occur, ordinary citizens like himself, along with Ikebukuro's most colorful inhabitants, are mixed up in the commotion breaking out in their city.

Durarara lends itself very readily to a SKU treatment in that there are layers to virtually every single character  the narrative is structured in such a way as to grant the viewer/reader several points of view. Then there is Orihara Izaya, a master manipulator of the suave but most definitely creepy stripe who has a hand in helping characters screw themselves. Izaya is difficult to pin down, he is  extremely intelligent, highly curious about humanity (and claims to love all humans, one would rathe stay away from his 'love'), a urban slicker who knows precisely how to pull strings but who can make himself come across as very amicable. I transformed Izaya into the Rose Bride, no genderbend, and Shizuo got to be Utena (although I think Mikado would probably fit the bill much better).

In hindsight, it'd be very interesting to see how the SKU cast would fare in Durarara's Tokyo. But some of Izaya's lines are so spot-on that I wish the SKU cast could hear them. Like how he tells Kida that if you let your past cripple you entirely then you have elevated it to a status of a God.

#11 | Back to Top07-10-2015 10:59:23 PM

Eldog123
New Student

I think Haruka Tenoh from the manga Sailor Moon would fit so awesomely in the Utena universe, I also think she would be a total idol, with girls swarming her every chance they get, Michiru would also fit nicely in ohtori too, I think, especially because of her musical talent and grace. Haruka would work so well as a duelest, hell she even races cars, dresses like a prince and owns a rapier sword. LIKE SERIOUSLY
http://s7.postimg.org/tntvxvcxz/3_02.jpg
GOD I JUST WANT TO DRAW HEAPS OF HARUKA/UTENA CROSSOVER FANART. LIKE NOW.
Does anyone else agree? I CANT BE ALONE IN THIS ASPECT.

Smash the world's shell.

#12 | Back to Top07-11-2015 04:57:07 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Eldog123 wrote:

I think Haruka Tenoh from the manga Sailor Moon would fit so awesomely in the Utena universe, I also think she would be a total idol, with girls swarming her every chance they get, Michiru would also fit nicely in ohtori too, I think, especially because of her musical talent and grace. Haruka would work so well as a duelest, hell she even races cars, dresses like a prince and owns a rapier sword. LIKE SERIOUSLY

I was going to post 'what about the cast of Sailor Moon' so NO YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Prince Diamond and Touga can hang out and gossip about creepily hitting on girls who aren't interested in them, and Sapphire and Nanami can bond over their brother complexes. IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#13 | Back to Top07-11-2015 03:31:38 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Aw, this brings back memories...Diamond/Sapphire was my first slash and to this day I love them together.

And yes, I can so see Sapphire and Nanami getting together and chatting about their big brother woes and adoration. They'd have icecream sleepovers and talk about it. But it may result in an argument over who is the bestest big brother EVER.

And speaking of toxic big brothers and less than healthy sibling relationships, how about the cast of Loveless? They'd be so perfect in SKU, it's not even funny. Even without the cat ears it'd be interesting to see how they'd fare. Bonus points if the Fighter/Sacrifice relationship also comes into play.

Ritsuka would probably adapt to the duels and overall weirdness as he is that kind of person.
Soubi is the type to embrace having to suffer for someone else so he'd volunteer to take turns receiving those Swords of Hatred.
Seimei would either become best friends with Akio or butt heads as they are alike in many ways.
And of course Saionji would hit on one of the Zero trap boys only to later realize they are boys and angst greatly for a while.
Nisei...I suspect he'd end teaming with Mikage.

#14 | Back to Top07-11-2015 04:24:53 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

What about the cast of F/SN? I might be the only fan here but just for the hell of it emot-rofl:

Shiro and Utena would hit it off right away, both being lovable, self-sacrificing idiots. I think he'd hit it off with Wakaba, too. She'd berate him for getting mauled all the time.

Saber would like Utena at first, until she realizes she has to babysit two idiots now. She'd, of course, be entirely oblivious to the similarities she has to her.

The matrix would probably overload by having both Anthy and Sakura in the same universe, but if not they'd do some passive aggressive bonding.

Ruka and Lancer would become the resident dudebros. Bad luck dudebros.

I'm guessing something creepy and perverted would be going on between Kozue and Kotomine, mostly to fuck up Miki and with no sex involved cause Kirei ain't got time for dat.

Shinji would suck up to Touga so bad, up to the moment Touga witnesses him do the slappy to his sister, and then he'd get snubbed.

Archer and Saionji would become sparring partners, with Archer dropping heavy snark and Saionji getting all pouty at it.

Mikage and Caster would strike up some unholy pact, which would prove to be extremely successful, and she'd have not one but two sexy professors to obsess over. The Black Rose arc becomes even more traumatizing, now with added blood and gore.

Juri and Rider would start a mutually destructive relationship.

Half of Ohtori is destroyed by Ilya and Nanami throwing a tantrum at the same moment. The other half is obliterated by Gilgamesh when it all stops being amusing.

Rin would probably be fascinated by the magical nature of Ohtori and would disappear to explore it. She'd figure out Akio's involvement early on, but make a stupid mistake and probably get in trouble. Most likely tied to a chair somewhere.

#15 | Back to Top07-12-2015 05:23:20 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

I think this place is a good a place than any to admit that I've been struggling to write a fanfic about the hypothetical situation that three cats-from-a-2000s-era-cartoon-turned-human going to Ohtori for about two plus years now. Note, that I've been trying to place this in this.
There's more I could say about it now, but for a general summary, lets say that there's a bit more self-analysis forced onto the characters of the former to get them to the level of the later. Also I ended up shipping Gordon and Kozue and I don't know how to feel about that.

#16 | Back to Top07-12-2015 09:16:06 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

YamPuff wrote:

Eldog123 wrote:

I was going to post 'what about the cast of Sailor Moon' so NO YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Prince Diamond and Touga can hang out and gossip about creepily hitting on girls who aren't interested in them, and Sapphire and Nanami can bond over their brother complexes. IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS.

I've been writing an SM/SKU crossover fic for the better part of a decade where it turns out that Chibi-Usa is a spy for the Black Moon/Nemesis and Utena is the real Princess of Crystal Tokyo. I can sit here and talk about the entire thing because it's never going to get into a publishable state, so...yeah.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#17 | Back to Top07-13-2015 08:54:32 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Haruka and Juri : bffs forever or hate at first sight? school-devil

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#18 | Back to Top07-13-2015 10:58:56 PM

LateToTheRevolution
Wakaba Wrangler

*imagines Deadpool finding out about all the sexism, child abuse, incest and rape, helping the innocents escape, slicing and dicing his way through the evil ones and then burning the whole place to the ground* MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

#19 | Back to Top07-14-2015 12:07:04 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

Haruka and Juri : bffs forever or hate at first sight? school-devil

It'd so be one or the other. I suspect they'd butt heads at first then probably measure each other's strength, realize they are each other's worthy rival and settle for a snarky kind of companionship still rife with rivalry.

Now imagine Utena meeting Haruka and Michiru.

"You guys are such good friends! That kind of friendship between girls is so cool, isn't, Himemiya?"
"Utena-sama, that's dense even by your standards- I mean, indeed."

And the moment Ami meets Miki the world explodes, it'd be like meeting your past self if you time travelled.

#20 | Back to Top07-14-2015 01:22:24 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

And the moment Ami meets Miki the world explodes, it'd be like meeting your past self if you time travelled.

Of course, not all such pairs would hit it off.

USAGI: Juri-sama, my new friend Wakaba told me all about you!!
JURI: What, who even is this girl
USAGI: I'm you from a previous life!! Can you believe it? It's like if you time travelled and met your past self! It's like looking in a mirror, huh?
JURI: Get out of my bedroom

#21 | Back to Top07-14-2015 02:42:43 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

"Diane, 12:30 pm, the 26th of October. Per the tip of the Log Lady, I've decided to investigate a school of an indeterminate location in some country - presumably foreign. There are many young people milling about a very old mausoleum sort of place. Are the dead better off than the living? The garments here are really quite exceptional. I've only seen poofier sleeves on the cast of Dynasty. Goodness - look at that tower! There's nothing being repressed there, as Freud might say. There's a woman coming near my car, Diane. Perhaps she can shed some light on this situation. Or perhaps she intends to whip me. If only Audrey were here."

"Diane, not sure of the time or date. I can only wonder what the Log meant by sending me here. When I said I was looking for answers, I was directed to an very beautiful man - I'm secure enough to say it - with hair the color of my grandmother's faded doilies. He insists on answering my questions with vague metaphors about the moon and eternity and what I presume are vaguely concealed homoerotic innuendos. Which still makes the conversations easier to follow than most of my encounters with the residents of Twin Peaks. What kinds of trees are these? And where can I find two pints of good strong coffee?"

"Diane, here's something I haven't reported before. I just stepped into an elevator and was treated to an unorthodox therapy session. I then proceeded to pull a sword from a random passerby's chest and attempted to murder a 14-year-old girl. All the while, I was surrounded by coffee tables sporting a fresh espresso and a popular remake of the series. I have decided that this location is thoroughly too strange for me and will seek to return to normalcy ASAP."

"Diane, I just had a night with a beautiful redhead who has just rolled over and who I have just noticed does not possess breasts. In fact, he is equipped with a rather turgid penis. Well, as Einstein would say, experience is the only source of knowledge."

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Board footer