This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-14-2006 01:45:59 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Someday My Revolution Will Come (Utena video game)

You know, a 400MB file could pretty easily be distributed through email to anyone with a large inbox like Gmail. But that might not be practical.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#52 | Back to Top11-14-2006 07:19:50 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

What's that, like 390MB?

I can handle that. Let's talk about hooking you up with ftp access.

Okay, let's do it. Can you recommend an FTP program?

#53 | Back to Top11-14-2006 07:33:16 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Filezilla or CuteFTP. Filezilla is free, so that one's probably your best bet. I saw you sent messages but they're at home, so I'll set you up after work. I gotta clean up the site a little to make the extra room, I believe I have 1gb free but need to double-check.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#54 | Back to Top11-14-2006 07:35:30 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I think the easiest way to use FTP is through Internet Explorer. That's the only thing I use that browser fo, hehe. You just type the ftp address in the address field, then right-click -> Log in as, enter your log in info (if it's required) and then you'll have access to FTP. school-eng101 The best thing about it is that it looks like a normal Windows folder-system.
Or if you want to try something else, I could recommend SmartFTP, which is free to download and use. Though I've been using IE because, like I said, it's the easiest.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#55 | Back to Top11-14-2006 08:55:27 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

Maarika wrote:

I think the easiest way to use FTP is through Internet Explorer. That's the only thing I use that browser fo, hehe. You just type the ftp address in the address field, then right-click -> Log in as, enter your log in info (if it's required) and then you'll have access to FTP. school-eng101 The best thing about it is that it looks like a normal Windows folder-system.
Or if you want to try something else, I could recommend SmartFTP, which is free to download and use. Though I've been using IE because, like I said, it's the easiest.

Last time I checked, that doesn't work for uploading, just downloading...of course, I'll be the first to admit that was a few years ago.

#56 | Back to Top11-14-2006 08:55:38 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

Filezilla or CuteFTP. Filezilla is free, so that one's probably your best bet. I saw you sent messages but they're at home, so I'll set you up after work. I gotta clean up the site a little to make the extra room, I believe I have 1gb free but need to double-check.

Sounds great! Tonight then...

Maarika wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the tip.

#57 | Back to Top11-14-2006 09:23:30 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

CMK wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Last time I checked, that doesn't work for uploading, just downloading...of course, I'll be the first to admit that was a few years ago.

I've been using it for uploading. I'm not very familiar with all the FTP issues, but is it possible to have FTP access and not be able to upload? But when you have your own site with a FTP access, then you also have to be able to uload files, otherwise it'd be pointless. You simply copy/paste the files to your FTP folders as you normally do with files. Btw, my IE version is 6.0.2900.xxx-something. Perhaps it doesn't work with older ones.

Last edited by Maarika (11-14-2006 09:23:48 AM)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#58 | Back to Top11-14-2006 09:50:34 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

You can use also smart ftp, it's very user-friendly.

I have a question about the emulator: Is it true that the Sega Saturn emulators sucks a lot of CPU? I've read it in a Shrine dedicate to the Utena Game, but I don't remember the website right now emot-tongue

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#59 | Back to Top11-14-2006 09:54:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I tried to play Radiant Silvergun once on an emulator and it ran so slow even Nanamicow could keep up. emot-mad

That said, a game like the Utena game doesn't need to run at full speed, it's not a trigger finger side scroller, exactly.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#60 | Back to Top11-14-2006 12:04:36 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Sey wrote:

I have a question about the emulator: Is it true that the Sega Saturn emulators sucks a lot of CPU? I've read it in a Shrine dedicate to the Utena Game, but I don't remember the website right now emot-tongue

This is the shrine site: http://moonreading.lunarpages.com/utena/
Yes, the SSF emulator is a processor beast. And I do think that it's the emulator that sucks the processing speed and not the game itself. I have an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz processor and the game works great, no lag, good sound, no dropped frames. But the temperature of my computer goes up about 10 degrees celsius when the Utena game is running. I'm building another computer now and I plan to  use a dual core processor so I'll see if temperature improves.

CMK gave this advice too.

CMK wrote:

SSF Requires either a Pentium 4, Ahtlon 64, or dual-core processor, and at least 3 GHZ to run at all.  If you're not meeting that requirement, it's just not going to work no matter how much effort you put in.

Last edited by Dani (11-14-2006 12:05:14 PM)

#61 | Back to Top11-14-2006 01:23:53 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Good lord, that's obscene. emot-gonk

Does anyone want to buy an anime site webmistress a new computer? An Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 slot with 4GB DDR2 RAM on a fineass Asus board with a GeForce 8800 GTX with 768MB. Also going to need a couple SATA-300 750GB drives.

Yeah I think that would do nicely. etc-wankgirl

#62 | Back to Top11-14-2006 01:46:55 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

Does anyone want to buy an anime site webmistress a new computer? An Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 slot with 4GB DDR2 RAM on a fineass Asus board with a GeForce 8800 GTX with 768MB. Also going to need a couple SATA-300 750GB drives.

Yeah I think that would do nicely. etc-wankgirl

Nope but I can BUILD you one for half the cost. Seriously.

ASUS, nice touch. All the boards in my builds are ASUS. Here's the board I'm using in my new one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131028
The Pentium Conroe chip is faster than AMD 64 though. Now talk about etc-wankgirl

Last edited by Dani (11-14-2006 01:51:38 PM)

#63 | Back to Top11-14-2006 01:57:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Faster on what applications? I'm primarily Photoshop and multitasking, and last I checked (admittedly a couple months ago) the AMD was benchmarking slightly higher on most things for far less bux.

As for building...well I do my own building, it's just affording the parts. Or can you get those for me at a rate? emot-wink

Also that ASUS board is SEX. God, etc-love ASUS, srsly.

#64 | Back to Top11-14-2006 02:21:18 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Dani wrote:

Nope but I can BUILD you one for half the cost. Seriously.

Seriously? I saved perhaps 100€ when I built my mid-range system about a year ago.
Suppliers like Newegg are right out for me, though, since I'd get huge customs bills and extra taxes slapped on top of purchases made from shops outside EU and I've noticed that it's not worthwhile trying to buy stuff even from the UK or Germany - the shipping costs alone are murder.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#65 | Back to Top11-14-2006 03:14:57 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay Dani, I cleaned up the crap on the domain and made you an FTP account (PMed to you). There are 1200MB free on the domain for you, you said it was 500 + 400 + 3 + 151, so we should be clear for you to upload the whole thing. Once I get the videos, I'll look into making a torrent for them or something. May do the same for the ROMs, we'll have to see what this is going to do to my bandwidth, for now I don't anticipate a ton of people downloading it, so we should be safe.

If this becomes a serious project, I might up the hosting account for more space/bw.

#66 | Back to Top11-14-2006 03:53:04 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

FYI, two copies of the game on Ebay right now. With the emulator, you will be able to play them. The booklets and extras that come with the case are very worth having.

Gio, thanks so much for the server space! I sent you a message about the FTP account.

#67 | Back to Top11-14-2006 04:12:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OH GOD WHY DID YOU TELL ME THAT emot-gonk

Also...I want that MamiyaXMikage doujin.

I'm a bad person.

#68 | Back to Top11-14-2006 06:00:23 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

Faster on what applications? I'm primarily Photoshop and multitasking, and last I checked (admittedly a couple months ago) the AMD was benchmarking slightly higher on most things for far less bux.

As for building...well I do my own building, it's just affording the parts. Or can you get those for me at a rate? emot-wink

Also that ASUS board is SEX. God, etc-love ASUS, srsly.

I put that same mobo in my friend's computer two weeks ago with this chip: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115004
Her computer loads Photoshop in nanoseconds. It's amazing since I usually go fix a cup of tea while Photoshop loads on my old computer.

Yeah, AMD was the king but Intel's new Conroe chip beats it in every benchmark except a few memory tests. Here's the PC Magazine in-depth review with benchmark tests: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1989023,00.asp In some tests, it's a real blowout.

Um, I do have a wholesale warehouse place that gives me an educator discount on parts and then I check newegg.com every day for specials. We also have this great computer store called Micro Center. They are only located in a few states and I am so lucky that one is down the street from me. They run awesome specials. Also, I'm the queen of mail-in rebates. So if I can get everything discounted or on sale, which is do-able if you aren't in a hurry to build, then I can shave a couple hundred off. Compared to a Dell with the same specs, I can usually save half the amount. Educators and all students (K-12, college, whatever) can also get huge savings on software. That really comes in handy when I want stuff like Premiere. I use this education discount site: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ The just need proof faxed to them the first time, then you're on file for all future purchases.

#69 | Back to Top11-14-2006 09:01:02 PM

CMK
Rose Bride

Giovanna wrote:

You just had to get me going again, didn't you.  school-devil

Remember earlier when I mentioned that the Saturn is a messier pile of processors than the PS3?  I really wasn't kidding.

First of all, as efficent as the code can possibly get, emulating a chip in software requires roughly four times the processing power of the actual chip in question in pure clock-cycles, assuming that the processor you're running it on has all the functions of the one you're trying to emulate.  Obviously, no emu is 100 percent efficent, but we'll pretend.

Now, emulating an SNES, or even a Playstation, is pretty straightforward.  Each one has only one real processor, you can simulate the presence of the secondary cores since they all work on interrupts.

The Saturn doesn't operate on this principle at all.  Instead, it utilizes twelve distinct processors, with no particular timing pattern discernable between them.  All can access memory, sometimes simultaneously, and it's entirely up to the programmer to make sure they're not stepping on each other's toes.  To properly emulate this, you need to, in essence, make sure that your computer can execute all twelve CPU's timing cycles in the time that it takes the real Saturn's two primary (and fastest) processors to do one, and to make sure everything's in sync.

Even the PS3 is probably easier to emulate.  While, by the same count, it uses twelve processors as well, eight of them are identical, and one is devoted exclusively to timing and preventing collisions.

In short, the damn thing was too complicated, really, for its' own good.  While some truly amazing games were made for it, it was just too darn hard to work with.

#70 | Back to Top11-15-2006 01:16:00 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The technical description of the Saturn makes my head hurt. How on Earth did it ever get off the drawing board?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#71 | Back to Top11-15-2006 05:16:49 AM

CMK
Rose Bride

ShatteredMirror wrote:

The technical description of the Saturn makes my head hurt. How on Earth did it ever get off the drawing board?

Put simply:  Design by committee.

The engineers wanted to make the ultimate 2D console.  The marketing department wanted Sega CD/32XCD backward compatibility (a feat never fully achieved, but this caused massive delays.)   Management wanted a home version of the then-under-development 3D arcade console (Code-named "Jupiter" although I can't find a reference as to just which one it is at the moment.)   The engineers wailed, gnashed their teeth, then finally just stuffed in all the necessary chips to make everybody happy together and tried to let God and 3rd party developers sort it out.

In the US, that didn't work so well.  In Japan the vast majority of games on it were either visual novels or other things that didn't need a decade's worth of computer science research to take advantage of the blasted thing, including Arcade ports.

It's worth noting that in the long run, the Saturn backfired for Sega in just about every concievable way.  "Jupiter" wasn't too much better to program for, and it led directly to Capcom getting back into the arcade console business rather than inducing SNK and the other players in that market into giving theirs up.  The US market was pretty badly mishandled by starting up with an MSRP of ten dollars below the cost to retailers, and backed it up at first by not allowing anyone who wanted to sell it for more to have any.  Not to mention the earlier release of Genesis add-ons had confused the whole issue as to which console Sega was goiing to be supporting.  And financially the thing was a beast, never actually making Sega any money.  So, in a lot of ways, it can be said that the Saturn led directly to the demise of Sega's hardware division.

#72 | Back to Top11-15-2006 08:51:47 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Then we owe some true GENIUS a really big thanks because the latest SSF emulator seems to function really well. Any other emulator either doesn't load at all or only plays the intro. I have uploaded the game to the ohtori.nu server. I'm working on instructions.

I really hope we can translate this game. Since the game loads a still frame picture and then overlays text with a voice-over, maybe those willing to try their hand at translating could do a screen capture and translation for that screen and we can keep an archive so that no one duplicates someone elses work. When all the screen caps are accounted for, then we could make a translated site for the game.  Any ideas on this?

Major thanks to Gio and Yasha!!

#73 | Back to Top11-15-2006 09:44:00 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Dani wrote:

I really hope we can translate this game. Since the game loads a still frame picture and then overlays text with a voice-over, maybe those willing to try their hand at translating could do a screen capture and translation for that screen and we can keep an archive so that no one duplicates someone elses work. When all the screen caps are accounted for, then we could make a translated site for the game.  Any ideas on this?

I'm still under the impression that it wouldn't be hard to translate the text in-game: an acquaintance who was thinking of trying to translate the game at one point said that all in-game text is stored in a file somewhere. However, that would still make it hard for many Utena fans to play the game, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to re-encode with Flash or some such... that would be pretty neat...

Major thanks to Gio and Yasha!!

Definitely!

#74 | Back to Top11-15-2006 10:26:36 AM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Dallbun wrote:

I'm still under the impression that it wouldn't be hard to translate the text in-game: an acquaintance who was thinking of trying to translate the game at one point said that all in-game text is stored in a file somewhere.

I can't find that file and I've looked through every file on both disks. There is something that MIGHT be text files but I can't open them. If your acquaintance has figured out which files those are and how to open them, I'd love to know.  And yes, if we got the screens transcribed then we could centrally change the text in-game so that the version of the game on EM would be the translated game. We would still need a way of collecting all the transribing if multiple people are working on it.

We could recreate the game in Flash or with a visual novel program, but that would be oh so much more work connecting all the scenarios from scratch. I think with all of us together though, we can conquer this thing.

#75 | Back to Top11-15-2006 05:48:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Saturn stuff

God damn that makes me head spin. I remember reading a lot about how impossible the Saturn was for programmers to deal with, but I had no idea... And the PS3 is 12 processors? Didn't they complain enough about the PS2?

As for the hosting, you're most welcome. emot-smile I'd really like to see something happen with this! I dunno how you want to distribute this, who is interested in downloading? If it's a lot of people I'll just post the URLs involved, if it's fewer, I'll give you guys the FTP access and you can download it on the FTP. Probably safer that way anyway with such large files.

There must be a way to edit the actual ingame text, you just have to find where on the CD it's written down. Wouldn't you have to change the code though to allow for the English text instead of Japanese? I wouldn't know where to start doing that, I'm guessing it's more than just cutting and pasting chunks of text.

The problem with an all out visual translation is it's such a hugely branched game, if it were a typical linear RPG it'd be much easier...

Also, damn Intel's on top again. I used to be a Pentium girl but I moved to AMD and have been completely happy with it. But for the performance, is it worth the price? I'll have to check...

Board footer