This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-21-2017 11:42:55 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Star vs. The Forces of Evil

Hey everyone,

There's a (relatively new) show on Disney DX called "Star vs. The Forces of Evil".  It draws heavily from SKU, Sailor Moon, and a number of other animes.  It's really fun, and from what I saw on the Steven Universe thread, I think would be something you all may want to check out.  She's probably one of the most kick ass Princesses they have now.  I just love her!

Short Synopsis:  Star, a princess of Mewnie (isn't that the home planet of Luna and Artemis?), who has come of age to inherit the families magic wand.  The problem is...  She makes rainbows that rain fire and she's terrible at magic.  It sufferes from "first episode syndrome" but quickly becomes this deeply lore entrenched fantasy.  If you like Steven Universe you'll love it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ao2IHZ0y6ZD2M/giphy.gif

So they send her to a world without magic where she can try to get better (at magic).

It has Alan Tudyk and Michael C. Hall as villains.

It also has Disney's first on screen same sex couple kiss in the second season.

It's like a love letter to many anime series.

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#2 | Back to Top04-21-2017 01:52:01 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: Star vs. The Forces of Evil

Defiantly the spiritual squeal to Utena. I like to see Utena as s deconstruction of media aimed at girls and the message they send, so then what is Svtfoe try to accomplish? Well, to me, its a celebration of everything that is in media aimed at girls. It also is an amalgamation of all the messages that are aimed at young girls, like adolescence and responsibility and the role of femininity. Also its so overshadowed by Steven universe it a bit of a crime. I am really stoked for s3 which I dont know when it comes out emot-gonk .

Alos fav episodes:

Mewbuirty

Mewdepindance day

Mathmagic

Friendenemies

Hungury lary

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#3 | Back to Top04-22-2017 02:57:55 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I wouldn't go so far to call it a spiritual successor to Utena, more like a Disney version of the Magical Girl genre with some Sailor Moon and CCS aesthetics. The show went from 'wow this is pandering shit' to 'holy crap I need to know what's going on in this world' real fast. I really like where they're going with Ludo and the whole monster-discrimination subplot. The world feels like it has such a rich history and they are taking their time exploring it. Lots of good characters and just overall good stuff.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#4 | Back to Top04-24-2017 06:25:29 AM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper

I really like the show! I haven't seen all of it, but I'm getting there. It's lots of fun, and yet has a hidden deeper stuff put into it, about growing up, what is good vs. evil, self-discipline, etc. This may be blasphemy, but right now I like it more than Steven Universe.

It's a deconstruction, but unlike RGU, which deconstructs fairytales, SVE goes after the magical girl genre in general.

Last edited by Revolutionary (04-24-2017 10:32:42 AM)

Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

#5 | Back to Top04-24-2017 02:38:37 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

YamPuff wrote:

I wouldn't go so far to call it a spiritual successor to Utena, more like a Disney version of the Magical Girl genre with some Sailor Moon and CCS aesthetics. The show went from 'wow this is pandering shit' to 'holy crap I need to know what's going on in this world' real fast. I really like where they're going with Ludo and the whole monster-discrimination subplot. The world feels like it has such a rich history and they are taking their time exploring it. Lots of good characters and just overall good stuff.

I agree.  At first I was like "Wow, they stole ALL the anime" (which they did) but they spun it around really quickly and made it into something with a lot more substance.  It's got bits of all kinds of anime (Star legit uses the Dream Wand from CCS and Queen Moon is using the Cresent Moon Wand from Sailor Moon). 

My favorite character has to be Pablo, a.k.a. Buttfrog.  He's just too damn adorable with his babies! 

And for those of you caught up [ I can't wait for next season!!!  What an EPIC fight between Queen Moon and Taffy-Ludo  Poor gay goat guy(that's totally not a rip off of Undertale)!  All Taffy needs now is the finger Star carelessly left behind when she was evac'ed to Mewnie.]

Oh and I saw a Star cosplayer at Anime Matsuri but missed the chance to take her pic.  It was super cool.

I think the show is still very new and will keep gaining new fans.  A LOT of people on tumblr have noticed the similarities between Star and SU which will hopefully bring some people around to it.  I think what people see in the similarities are from the anime series the two shows both borrow from (as well as being cute).

#6 | Back to Top04-24-2017 02:51:27 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm partial to Marco and Glossaryck myself.

Buff Frog is definitely #bestdad

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#7 | Back to Top05-23-2017 02:42:24 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

YamPuff wrote:

I'm partial to Marco and Glossaryck myself.

Buff Frog is definitely #bestdad

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/16123723_642337812617933_6281973270556180480_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQzMjY4OTIzMjY4MTY3MzgwNQ%3D%3D.2

No news on the new season other than it's coming this summer. emot-gonk

#8 | Back to Top05-30-2017 08:56:31 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

OMG, this teaser is like my favorite thing now. The queen be summoning a demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OLM5iamWLQ

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#9 | Back to Top06-15-2017 09:40:11 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

I AM SO EXCITED!  Especially after that killer season finally and no Steven Universe for the foreseeable future.

I can't waiT!

#10 | Back to Top06-29-2017 02:42:34 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

itavin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj98HreCV8

Well, I stand corrected. She be summoning [Queen Eclipsa, to use dark magic bitch!!! This also probably dispels like the theory that Toffe is Eclipsea's great great son. Oh well]

#11 | Back to Top07-11-2017 10:33:58 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

itavin wrote:

itavin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj98HreCV8

Well, I stand corrected. She be summoning [Queen Eclipsa, to use dark magic bitch!!! This also probably dispels like the theory that Toffe is Eclipsea's great great son. Oh well]

OMG.. just four more days.  The lack of new material out is killing me.  No SU for a while... GOT hasn't started yet.  Orphan Black isn't finished yet (I have to binge that one).  This will be super awesome!

#12 | Back to Top07-11-2017 12:49:12 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Does this show ever get an overarching plot like SU did? I started watching it cause I think it's really aesthetically pleasing but I'm not a huge fan of the episodic "monster of the week" format.

Last edited by Sparky (07-11-2017 12:49:24 PM)

#13 | Back to Top07-11-2017 01:55:44 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Sparky wrote:

Does this show ever get an overarching plot like SU did? I started watching it cause I think it's really aesthetically pleasing but I'm not a huge fan of the episodic "monster of the week" format.

OMG you have no idea.  It starts light and picks up lore pretty quickly, especially in S2.  Keep watching and enjoy the ride. emot-biggrin

#14 | Back to Top07-15-2017 02:46:29 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

The new star episode movie thing Battle for Mewni was YAY MORE STAR THAT WAS THE BEST And we get to see star become a [Butterfly god like her mother, and btw queen moon was the best in this special. She is best character on the show for sure now] In short, I had fangasam's

#15 | Back to Top07-25-2017 09:06:11 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

itavin wrote:

The new star episode movie thing Battle for Mewni was YAY MORE STAR THAT WAS THE BEST And we get to see star become a [Butterfly god like her mother, and btw queen moon was the best in this special. She is best character on the show for sure now] In short, I had fangasam's

It was amazing!  Star's [transformation reminded me of Super/Eternal Sailor Moon all in one.  I love the wand upgraded with her.
  Now we have to see if Glossaryck is back and What will happen with Queen Eclipsa.  Also, does anyone else think Ms. Hienus might be Queen Eclipsa's descendant?
]

#16 | Back to Top07-25-2017 10:40:16 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

itavin wrote:

It was amazing!  Star's [transformation reminded me of Super/Eternal Sailor Moon all in one.  I love the wand upgraded with her.
  Now we have to see if Glossaryck is back and What will happen with Queen Eclipsa.  Also, does anyone else think Ms. Hienus might be Queen Eclipsa's descendant?
]

I think everyone thought that [ Ms. Hienus is her decedent. But that gives the question of who the hell is Moon's depended from. I think Eclipsa might try to take back her throne, but also another thing I noticed how manipulative Eclipsa is? I think she used Toffee to make one of the queens to free her. Also, why crystallize Eclipsa if she evil? Like why not kill her? Its not like the show is afraid of killing characters. ] I cant wait half a year for this.

#17 | Back to Top07-25-2017 02:22:22 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm actually of the opinion that Eclipsa is not evil and was simply punished for falling in love and running off with a monster, considering her poem bio and the prejudice of Mewnies against monsters. I don't think her conversation with Moon was particularly manipulative either. Moon comes asking her for something, and she actually checks with Moon several times if she's sure she wants to do it. This could explain why she was crystallized and not killed; get her out of the way without 'killing' her a la bubbling from Steven Universe.

#18 | Back to Top07-25-2017 03:07:03 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Yams wrote:

I'm actually of the opinion that Eclipsa is not evil and was simply punished for falling in love and running off with a monster, considering her poem bio and the prejudice of Mewnies against monsters. I don't think her conversation with Moon was particularly manipulative either. Moon comes asking her for something, and she actually checks with Moon several times if she's sure she wants to do it. This could explain why she was crystallized and not killed; get her out of the way without 'killing' her a la bubbling from Steven Universe.

I agree she didn't appear that menacing but that's one of the show's pure joy- surprising us.  I look forward to whatever they have planned for her.  And I also though of bubbling from SU. lol.

It should be noted that not everything went down like the scene from inside the wand tells us, ie Moon's fight against Toffee looks way more epic in the Tapestry. 

On my same soap box about Miss Heinous:  The only Mewmens that have the little cheek cutie-marks (for lack of a better term) are the female mewmen royalty. 

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/star-and-the-forces-of-evil/images/7/7e/Tumblr_nt50nyboCc1rvkmx2o1_540.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20160819035501

So Miss Heinous does come from royalty somewhere.  That will be an unfolding mystery.  With the exception of Queen Solaria the mewnie marks (there we go, much better term) all seem to correlate to the suits of a deck of cards.

Edit: Found this really amazing tumblr post with different pieces of info on Eclipsa as well.  It looks like she may have shattered a ring around one of Mewnie's moons?
https://seddm.tumblr.com/post/152916984 … r-no-scene

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (07-25-2017 03:13:36 PM)

#19 | Back to Top07-25-2017 05:05:34 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Yams wrote:

Thats nice and all, and sure she may have been nice to ask Moon is she wants to have the spell, but we still cant forget that when ludo [opened Eclipsa's chapter, it allowed Toffee to relase his soul to control ludo. It does mean he knew about Eclipsa and the way her chapter helps him. I dont know if that necessarily means anything about him and Eclipsa, but it sure implies some sort understanding of Eclipsa from Toffee's part. And Toffee is evil]
Also, I think that like, the show could have just said they executed Eclipsa for being evil. So I dont get why keep her unless glossyric just wanted her to teach dark magic forever or something. But while I am standing behind the whole Eclipsa is evil, I think she was more corrupted by mewmens (and possibly monsters) for her love, or maybe for helping her lover to figure out stuff about magic and the royal family. Putting it out there.

THEORIZES AND MORE QUESTIONS NOW

1. [Who is the other skull that was in toffee's shoulder? Eclipsa's mom? A past mewgirl? A queen?]
2.[So we all know queens create spells to make use of them. Why would Eclipsa need a spell that can destroy something that is immortal, like a monster? Or maybe, her lover who betrayed her! Well thats wha I think at least]

#20 | Back to Top07-27-2017 03:17:52 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

itavin wrote:

Yams wrote:

Thats nice and all, and sure she may have been nice to ask Moon is she wants to have the spell, but we still cant forget that when ludo [opened Eclipsa's chapter, it allowed Toffee to relase his soul to control ludo. It does mean he knew about Eclipsa and the way her chapter helps him. I dont know if that necessarily means anything about him and Eclipsa, but it sure implies some sort understanding of Eclipsa from Toffee's part. And Toffee is evil]
Also, I think that like, the show could have just said they executed Eclipsa for being evil. So I dont get why keep her unless glossyric just wanted her to teach dark magic forever or something. But while I am standing behind the whole Eclipsa is evil, I think she was more corrupted by mewmens (and possibly monsters) for her love, or maybe for helping her lover to figure out stuff about magic and the royal family. Putting it out there.

THEORIZES AND MORE QUESTIONS NOW

1. [Who is the other skull that was in toffee's shoulder? Eclipsa's mom? A past mewgirl? A queen?]
2.[So we all know queens create spells to make use of them. Why would Eclipsa need a spell that can destroy something that is immortal, like a monster? Or maybe, her lover who betrayed her! Well thats wha I think at least]

Oh I love these.  Also [where can I find a pic of skulls on Toffee's shoulders? emot-confused I had no idea about this.  And yeah, could be a jilted lover thing.  SO MUCH MYSTERY. ]

My need for this show is somewhat embarrassing.emot-rofl

#21 | Back to Top11-21-2017 11:14:59 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Man, I feel like [eclipsa] is a comboniton of akios manipulation with anthys humor and a little spice of juri to mix it up. She even got the anthy haircut.

#22 | Back to Top12-07-2017 12:31:12 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I've been cracking up at the fuss over the 'first boy Disney Princess' There's articles everywhere about it.

Princess Turdina.

Last edited by Yams (12-07-2017 12:31:37 PM)

Board footer