This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top04-08-2007 12:30:17 AM

Lady Lortab
Saionji Slapper

Re: Favorite Music You Never Mention to Anyone Else...

Guess I am the odd one out. I like almost all music except Rap, some Hip-Hop and Disco. Grew up on old time Country Western. Own Hank Wms SR. on vinal and Iggy and the Stoogs first release on vinal too. Have over 800 vinal in storage, many are bootlegs. I also like Beethoven's 5th and 9th. Swan Lake and the Killers and Kid Rock. Will give anything a listen once (Britney is out so is Justin Timberlake). Have alot of music no one has heard of so I never mention it to people. Like The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Or The Fugs, The Ogen Edsel Jajaleia Blues Ensamble Modo Bazario Band, Barns and Barns. Shirley Temple's Greatest Hits (on black vinal). Mostly collectables, but stuff you don't go around telling your friends. KWIM? emot-rolleyes

Get naked! Take pictures!
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrrive safely at Death's door.

#52 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:28:42 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

MadHatter wrote:

Vitamin C. Shut up. Boys Vs. Girls is a good song.

I have the Vitamin C album too xD Hahaha. I also have M2M, Me & My, a bunch of random eurobeat, and an assortment of CDs by Ayumi Hamasaki (shame shame shame... I hate her but I loved her way back when I was 11 and her music isn't all bad) and... ....Gackt. *dodges flaming pitchforks* ;-; Illness Illusion is a cool song...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#53 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:34:47 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Hm....

I was making an AMV involving Utena and the backstreet boys.

*hides under her desk*

#54 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:44:59 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

hyacinth_black wrote:

I actually quite like a FEW (emphasis on F-E-W) of Britney Spears' songs... emot-frown

Don't hate me.

Meep.

EDIT:

Clover wrote:

Evanescence and "Sexy Back" by Justin Timeberlake

Quoted for truth.

I love Sexyback.  And Evanescence.  Well... some of Evanescence.  The songs that don't sound like everything else they do.

Indeed. Sexyback is too good.

Ditto about Evanescence.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#55 | Back to Top04-08-2007 07:06:45 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I've never even heard Sexyback, or that Fergie song everyone I know considers a guilty pleasure.  I don't know how I managed to wander into this pop music bomb shelter but I'm not about to change it.

The other day I carpooled with a bunch of girls who AREN'T in that bubble and now I have a bunch of Jay-Z songs on my MP3 player.

Ladies is pimps too. ;]

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#56 | Back to Top04-08-2007 07:21:54 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I think I'm the nerdiest bunch of us yet. I love old video game tunes. Especially from NES and SNES and Genesis games. I play them using WinAmp and a special plug-in to hear the songs I REALLY love. I'd put them on my PSP, but I've no utility to make them into MP3s. Ah, well. You gotta take what you can get, right?

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#57 | Back to Top04-08-2007 07:34:46 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Hm....

I was making an AMV involving Utena and the backstreet boys.

*hides under her desk*

So when is this materpiece gonna be posted?

#58 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:16:00 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

BioKraze wrote:

I think I'm the nerdiest bunch of us yet. I love old video game tunes. Especially from NES and SNES and Genesis games. I play them using WinAmp and a special plug-in to hear the songs I REALLY love. I'd put them on my PSP, but I've no utility to make them into MP3s. Ah, well. You gotta take what you can get, right?

I do that, too. But I bought the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. The imported one. God I love that game... but yeah, I have everything from Xenogears to Sonic to Super Mario World soundtracks on my compy... I mention it to other people, though. Since I'm a senior member (5 year anniversary was in February!!) of a very prominent RPG website/forum with a pretty successful online radio, I don't mind. I'm used to talking about video game music, I was even thinking of making my own radio show with them. (I've also convinced them to play the SKU Sega Saturn duel songs a couple times.. hehe).

Most of the stuff I don't mention to other people is because I listen to it for the simple fact that it makes me feel like I'm 9 years old again. Those were my glory days, sadly.. I never got into N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys, though, but I do think the Backstreet boys were the better of the two when my friends would make me choose. I liked Eifel 65 the most, personally. The "Blue" song was all the rage back then.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#59 | Back to Top04-23-2007 11:05:43 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I have Tracey Ullman in my main Winamp playlist.

ph33r. XD

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#60 | Back to Top04-24-2007 05:44:14 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I dunno if its something to really be ashamed of....but it's something I don't mention in public....I have almost six hours of Enya on iTunes...her completed works....Christmas specials and all. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

BioKraze wrote:

Are you kidding? That music is greatness. *wants Mario theme songs on her iPod*

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#61 | Back to Top04-24-2007 03:30:06 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

guilty pleasures....oh man

I actually like Willa Ford's "I wanna be bad"

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#62 | Back to Top04-24-2007 05:04:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'm utterly terrified by the fact that I like Hilary Duff's new song, "With Love".  To make matters worse, I don't fight the urge to dance to it... BUT I DON"T DANCE!!!!emot-gonk

And I actually like Avril Lavigne.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (04-24-2007 05:05:05 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#63 | Back to Top02-28-2013 04:53:51 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Bringing back the old guilty pleasures thread.

I talk music all day long; I'll talk your ear off. But, I don't like talking about my own music for some reason. Working with some bands, now, about doing some collaborations, and maybe some live stuff the next time I'm in the States, but I know when we do, I'll hype all their stuff except our collaborations. And that'll be the more pop/traditional stuff, too. I got sort of pressured/guilted into putting up my recent stuff. When I work with bands or other musicians, I try to veer to more danceable music, you know? But on my own, it's just stress-relief, it's making sounds for the sake of sounds, rhythms that don't necessarily lead anywhere or develop a hook.

I notice, I do the same with similar music from other folks, too, though. I don't go pushing indulgent jazz or freeform music, Sun Ra's We Travel the Spaceways, Zombina's She Has No Reflection, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, that sort of thing. Soundscape stuff. Fully-active music.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#64 | Back to Top03-08-2013 09:36:32 PM

Jaimicchi
New Student
Website

Carly Rae Jepsen... you know, the Call Me Maybe singer?  Yeah, I have her CD in my car... ^.^;;;;

#65 | Back to Top03-09-2013 03:03:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hmm. I'm trying to think whether I'm embarrassed about any of my music anymore. I am no longer embarrassed about Eminem and Dolly Parton, that's for sure. They're both solid artists.

Liking Katy Perry stopped being embarrassing to me when my army buddy told me she and Lady Gaga were the best to listen to while using a machine gun, and then proceeded to heavily imply that he'll sing or dance around to it after getting off a really good or hard shot. This was during active duty, too, so I guess people have died to those songs.

Hmm. I guess Avril Lavigne would be the only one I'm embarrassed by anymore. She's kind of an embarrassment as a human being, and especially as a punk. She's definitely everything I despised when I was a punk-- fake, shallow, overproduced-- not to mention those dead eyes in all her photos. Still, she's had a couple catchy songs.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#66 | Back to Top12-22-2013 01:29:23 PM

Cheerie132
Wakaba Wrangler

I'm a big rock, punk and metal fan. But my guiltu pleasures are those boybands which bring some nostalgic memories from my teenage years when that music was all I listened to (and for some reason I'd probably never admit it emot-smile) My favourites back then were Backstreet Boys and Westlife (which remains in my heart)

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust -

#67 | Back to Top02-02-2014 11:41:51 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I...I still love Hanson. (turns red) They were the first band I ever saw in person so they will always have a special place in my heart.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#68 | Back to Top02-02-2014 02:31:44 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Tom Lehrer. That is all.

#69 | Back to Top02-02-2014 03:10:03 PM

The_White_Horse
Rose Smilee
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

I...I still love Hanson. (turns red) They were the first band I ever saw in person so they will always have a special place in my heart.

Hanson is forever ruined for me because of a very awkwardly timed 'mmbop' x3

#70 | Back to Top02-02-2014 03:24:13 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Fuck I like Coldplay, and super optimistic pop shit like Marianna's Trench and Panic at the Disco. 

And I really, really, really love this song:

Anyone who has ever grown up in a white trash backroad area should empathize.  On the surface, it's light and funny, almost a parody of a crooning drunk-at-the-bar country ballad.  But it sounds so self aware.  White trash life is shit and you get stuck in these cycles of shit decisions and hopelessness.  The guy is singing about going back to prison, but he's resigned, not surprised.  What else is there for people like him?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (02-02-2014 03:29:53 PM)

#71 | Back to Top03-20-2014 01:55:41 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I am so not gansta even though I like some gangster rap now and then. Yet, I would have a time trying to explain this to some of the guys.

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

Board footer