This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-18-2007 09:29:22 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Does Ursula's Kiss even exist anymore?

I was bored, so I was flipping though Utena site's and came across the old Enoki site for Ursula's Kiss. The names alone make me want to watch it:

Angie (Ansi Himemiya)
Tommy (Touga Kiryu)
Julie (Juri Arisugawa)
Mickey (Miki Kaoru)
Nana (Nanami Kiryu)
Kevin Simon (Kyoichi Saionji)
Wanda (Wakaba Shinohara)
Chris (Korue Kaoru)
Dios (Dios)
Tory (Goki Otori): Who the hell is this? Akio?
Chuchu (Chuchu)

Oh but wiat there is more!

Kate (Kanae Otori)
Mike (Akio Otori)
Sally (Shiori Takatsuki)
Mitch (Mitsuru Tsuwabuki)
Kate (Keiko Sonoda)
Sonny (Soji Mikage)
Miles (Mamiya Chida)

I want to know who these people are . . .

Silver Mask: A member of the "The Seekers of Armageddon." No one knows his/her true identity.
Pazolini: The leader of the troop sent by "The Seekers of Armageddon."
Lady June: The evil princess commanding the troop. Cool and merciless.

The Seeker's Armageddon . . . wow- So there is more than one Akio, apparently. I need to see this dubbing of the show!

But does it even exist anymore?

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#2 | Back to Top05-18-2007 10:09:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Does Ursula's Kiss even exist anymore?

I have an old email from someone who emailed Enoki looking for answers. I never could figure out where to put it on the site. If you want, I'll post it up here when I get home.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top05-18-2007 10:18:35 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Oh please do.

you said

#4 | Back to Top05-19-2007 02:07:55 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd love to read that. I mean... did Ursula's Kiss ever actually exist? I wondered about that briefly, before moving on to more entertaining things.

Last edited by ShatteredMirror (05-19-2007 02:08:56 AM)

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top05-19-2007 06:59:32 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Kate (Kanae Otori)
Kate (Keiko Sonoda)

Ah, shit, I'm Kanae and Keiko? I do love both characters, but that's so pathetic. I'm engaged to a man who would rather have his sister, but meanwhile I'm in love with a younger red-haired man. The only way I can get close to him is through his sister, but she will never let me near him. I stay by her side, though, because she likes to hurt my finance's sister.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#6 | Back to Top05-19-2007 08:21:51 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Yasha wrote:

I have an old email from someone who emailed Enoki looking for answers. I never could figure out where to put it on the site. If you want, I'll post it up here when I get home.

Yeah, that was me, but I think I pushed too hard... they didn't get me in touch with whoever wrote the Ursula's Kiss page, so I wasn't able to find out what the heck the plan was for Silver Mask and company (I still just can't picture what they were expecting to do, footage-wise). Unfortunate. Strangely, past the first story arc, the episode summaries on that page switch back to Japanese names and were clearly written by someone who genuinely watched the show. I find it difficult to believe that the same person would try to force in Silver Mask, Pazollini, and Lady June (...the Shadow Girls?) I suppose it will remain a mystery, though if someone else wants to get in touch with Enoki, go for it. (Politely.)

Sevelle wrote:

The Seeker's Armageddon . . . wow- So there is more than one Akio, apparently. I need to see this dubbing of the show!

Foolish lifeform.

There never was such a thing as Ursula's Kiss anywhere in the world in the first place.

(/Akio)

Seriously though, that dub doesn't exist. I was confused too, but apparently Enoki is the company that sells distribution rights of serieses like Utena to companies in other countries (for TV specifically, I think... but *maybe* also DVD?), and the series sites on their web page are kind of solicitations for companies to look at to convince them to buy the rights... sort of a teaser, I guess?

Obviously, Enoki is assuming that English-speaking countries will want to at the very least dub characters' names, and at most mangle the shows ruthlessly for local release. I guess they're just helpfully giving them a convenient head start.

#7 | Back to Top05-19-2007 10:40:12 AM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Someone should make an Ursula's Kiss fandub. school-devil

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#8 | Back to Top05-19-2007 11:44:11 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Dallbun wrote:

Sevelle wrote:

Foolish lifeform.

There never was such a thing as Ursula's Kiss anywhere in the world in the first place.

I did not know this, and I am kind of sad it doesn't. The names killed me.

Last edited by Sevelle (05-19-2007 12:05:27 PM)

you said

#9 | Back to Top05-19-2007 08:45:00 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Sevelle wrote:

Julie (Juri Arisugawa)

You know, I did make a stupid American support character for a SKU RPG based off of that pun. Considering the r/l pronounciation it is pretty close...
I say stupid for the way the two were introduced. Yeah it was strictly for comic relief. emot-rolleyes

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#10 | Back to Top05-19-2007 08:56:01 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Actually it exists... is the spanish dub of Utena that was aired on mexico... emot-gonk (dubbed in los angeles it seems)

All those names... were used int the dub... well not all no silver mask or Tori Ohtori but Kevin and Tommy were used among many others emot-gonk

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#11 | Back to Top05-20-2007 01:23:20 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Romanticide wrote:

Actually it exists... is the spanish dub of Utena that was aired on mexico... emot-gonk (dubbed in los angeles it seems)

All those names... were used int the dub... well not all no silver mask or Tori Ohtori but Kevin and Tommy were used among many others emot-gonk

But it's just not Ursula's Kiss without Pazollini! And without the title! Anyway, it makes sense that some if not all of Enoki's names would go through in some dubs. Was Utena named "Ursula"?

And according to Wikipedia, apparently the CPM dub is being shown in Australia under the title "Ursula's Kiss"? That seems bizarre, because if that was the case there would be no character named Ursula.

#12 | Back to Top05-20-2007 01:47:17 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Here is the long-awaited email. Many thanks to Dallbun, and also, if anyone cares to follow up on this, it might be interesting to hear what Enoki has to say.

Dallbun's Email to Me wrote:

Unfortunately, I never got a response from that second e-mail. In retrospect, it was definitely too specific; I should have just asked if I could be put in contact with the person who wrote that page, and left it at that. It might be worthwhile for one of us to give that another shot, because I'm still really curious about Silver Mask, Pazolini, and Lady June.
I mean, judging by the episode summaries (the later ones in particular!) the Ursula's Kiss site was written by someone who watched the show pretty carefully. It's bizarre...

Dallbun's Email to Enoki wrote:

Hello, I wandered into your website (that of Enoki Films USA) and wanted to ask you some questions, because there are some things about your company that confuse me.

Your company profile says that you are basically in the business of distributing animated television series. The implication is that the series listed on your website... under such headings as "Action Adventure," "Animation Features," and "Drama Classics"... are series that you are distributing in the U.S. or in the process of arranging to distribute.

However, several of the series that you list have already been released in the U.S. by entirely different companies. Take, for instance, "Ursula's Kiss" (or Shoujo Kakumei Utena), which has been released on DVD by Central Park Media, and "Tales at North Hills High," (or Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou), which has been released under the considerably more accurate name of "His and Her Circumstances" by The Right Stuf International.

What exactly is your role? Are you preparing these series for release on U.S. television? That would explain the odd "dubbed" descriptions and such.

Thanks for your time... I hope to hear back from you soon.

Enoki's Reply wrote:

We are the original rights holder from Japan and we license the titles on our website to tv stations and video distributors worldwide.  Some of the titles have been altered just for marketing purposes, not all international buyers have the understand of the Japanese titles as you do.
Thanks for asking.
Enoki Films USA

Dallbun's Second Email wrote:

Hi, I sent you another e-mail to your company a few days ago (attached below). Your answer does clear up the purpose of Enoki Films USA... but I'm still confused about the details of some of the series that you market. Please, bear with me, because I'm genuinely curious about some of the choices made here.

Take Utena, again, for instance... the characters are renamed (and, in some cases such as Juri/Julie, somewhat reimagined), despite the fact that no English dub exists that uses those names (and, where applicable, concepts). Is the idea that, if a tv station or video distributor was interested in releasing the series in that form, a dub could be made after this fashion?

Even more interestingly, at the end of the character list for "Ursula's Kiss," three characters appear for which no counterparts exist in "Utena"... namely, Silver Mask, Pazolini, and Lady June. Is the intent that footage could be inserted with these characters, a la Robotech? Or are they the reimagined identities of the (otherwise absent from the character list) Shadow Play Girls, A-ko, B-ko, and C-ko (that would be a stretch that the mind boggles to comprehend!)

I apologize for the specific fan-type questions; I don't imagine that you're the one who wrote the "Urusla's Kiss" site, but would it be possible to put me in contact with the person who did? Because this is really interesting.

Thanks so much for your time! I appreciate the fact that you're answering my questions.

And they never did answer.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#13 | Back to Top05-20-2007 01:50:54 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ursula's kiss exists here: http://ufr.ohtori.nu/other/files/ursulas.txt

That is all.

#14 | Back to Top05-20-2007 02:06:27 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

..I am so confused, but the link Shattered (almost typed Shadow again) posted clears up some things for me.. but Ursula's Kiss is just a parody, right?

..right?

#15 | Back to Top05-20-2007 02:33:16 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

..I am so confused, but the link Shattered (almost typed Shadow again) posted clears up some things for me.. but Ursula's Kiss is just a parody, right?

..right?

That link Shattered posted is a fanfic (?) thing. It wasn't released by Enoki, it was just made by someone who saw the Enoki page.

#16 | Back to Top05-20-2007 12:14:17 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

You know I am really sad now, because for so long I thought that there was an actual Ursula's Kiss. Oh well, I guess you can't win em all.

you said

#17 | Back to Top05-23-2007 12:49:37 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yes, it's a fanfic. A very nice one, I think. I wish I could say that I had been the one who wrote it.

#18 | Back to Top01-04-2011 05:53:44 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Necro-ing for lulz.

Dallbun wrote:

Sevelle wrote:

Foolish lifeform.

In that case, this was the most epic case of trolling I have ever seen. I keep coming across this and was wondering if there was a thread on it somewhere here. Guess I found it. This explains things.

Dallbun wrote:

Obviously, Enoki is assuming that English-speaking countries will want to at the very least dub characters' names, and at most mangle the shows ruthlessly for local release. I guess they're just helpfully giving them a convenient head start.

Eh, sort of happened anyway with the Utena dub. No name changing, but the AD directing was awful. Casting choice was awesome, but I feel it was badly executed. Particularly name pronunciation. (Which I happen to know many of the actors for Utena are, at least now, not so inept as to pronounce Ten-JOU as Ten-JU or Sye-on-ji as Say-on-ji.)

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Ursula's kiss exists here: Link

That is all.

...Ashitiqua?
BRB LOLING FOREVER. emot-rofl

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#19 | Back to Top01-04-2011 06:38:04 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Azure wrote:

...Ashitiqua?

Oh man thanks for reviving this thread or I would never have been able to partake in this eternal lol with you guys.

Last edited by chrisb (01-04-2011 06:38:52 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#20 | Back to Top01-04-2011 08:06:08 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

chrisb wrote:

Azure wrote:

...Ashitiqua?

Oh man thanks for reviving this thread or I would never have been able to partake in this eternal lol with you guys.

I KNOW, RITE? emot-rofl

Now I need to draw Ghetto-Fabulous!Anthy. It must be done.

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2013 01:20:16 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

So... I have to necro this thread. I was bored last night and decided to start reading some of the stranger sections of Empty Movement. I eventually got to the section about Ursula's Kiss. I was intrigued enough that I went onto Google to see if there was any more information.

It looks like there is some renewed interest in this which began just this year. For example, here is the official and totally not fake Ursula's Kiss Tumblr which continued to update until the end of October when the author finally ran out of steam. It's rad.

And then there's this glorious travesty that somebody had put up on YouTube. I especially love the bit about "holding hands".

Finally, knowing that the original page for Ursula's Kiss has disappeared from the face of the Internet, it looks like Enoki managed to transfer everything to their original Japanese site (but still in English of course).

Again, I just had to bump this up. Ursula's Kiss needs to be recognized.

Never forget!

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#22 | Back to Top12-13-2013 01:54:16 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Sweet zombie Jesus, that fake Opening had me in tears--ESPECIALLY the 'holding hands' bit.

There's a couple of Utena abridged(some of which are dead)--and I really wish one of them would take it on as if they were a dubbing company who had the task of cleaning up all the insanity ala 4Kids. Can you just IMAGINE how they would UTTERLY DESTROY so many of the complex themes of the series? As it is, that Tumblr is my favorite thing ever.

Hat Mafia Member

#23 | Back to Top12-08-2014 08:54:35 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

Once upon a time I wrote half a parody script based on Ursula's Kiss. Those were dark days

It would be a fun thing to do for the movie! Given the rate of SKU:PID episodes, it'd happen in 20 years.

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

#24 | Back to Top12-09-2014 05:25:16 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

codeblackhayate wrote:

Once upon a time I wrote half a parody script based on Ursula's Kiss. Those were dark days

It would be a fun thing to do for the movie! Given the rate of SKU:PID episodes, it'd happen in 20 years.

Was that parody piece over at the SKU fanfic repository your work?  Wow, that was a GREAT humor piece!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#25 | Back to Top12-09-2014 08:45:15 PM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Was that parody piece over at the SKU fanfic repository your work?  Wow, that was a GREAT humor piece!

Oh, no. I do parody videos. I have a kind of abridged Utena series that releases episodes...every few years.

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

Board footer