This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-19-2015 09:00:36 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Steven Universe

I would too except that none exists.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-07-19-16-43-12_zps94sj4rch_edit_1437317070671.png_zpsbi0axw6i.jpeg

There's some t-shirts & mugs but that's about it. I do want this cover for sure. emot-biggrin (Up on the cartoon netwrok site. I didi a few SU merch searches but besides etsy, nothing really exists)

I've heard the theory about girls and toys and to be honezt I don't really buy it. The tween girl market is huge and the Crystal Gems are all, in essence, pretty girls perfectly shaped and sized to be made into plushies and figurines. I would understand if they were hesitant to make action figures or other typically 'boy' stuff. I mean seriously, no Rose Quartz princess dresses, or Crytsal Gem lip glosses and accessories? I understand if they don't want to sell out but if they don't promote they face getting cancelled and that won't do anyone any good and further reinforce the idea that girl stuff isnt financially viable.

Last edited by YamPuff (07-19-2015 09:03:09 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#52 | Back to Top07-19-2015 02:00:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

YamPuff wrote:

I would too except that none exists.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/ … axw6i.jpeg

There's some t-shirts & mugs but that's about it. I do want this cover for sure. emot-biggrin (Up on the cartoon netwrok site. I didi a few SU merch searches but besides etsy, nothing really exists)

I've heard the theory about girls and toys and to be honezt I don't really buy it. The tween girl market is huge and the Crystal Gems are all, in essence, pretty girls perfectly shaped and sized to be made into plushies and figurines. I would understand if they were hesitant to make action figures or other typically 'boy' stuff. I mean seriously, no Rose Quartz princess dresses, or Crytsal Gem lip glosses and accessories? I understand if they don't want to sell out but if they don't promote they face getting cancelled and that won't do anyone any good and further reinforce the idea that girl stuff isnt financially viable.

I'm not sure the creators/writers/producers of the show actually as individuals own the merchandising rights to SU, though, CN does.  I'm not really sure.  There are plenty of ways to turn the characters and aesthetics of SU into the same traditionally girly mono-pink merch that lines the girl aisles. You'd be pissing all over the show if you treated its characters and themes so one-dimensionally, but yeah it's more than doable, it's easy, and thus easy money. (I'll take a cheeseburger handbag hell yeah and use it to hold my Lapis compact mirror and Rose Quartz plumping lip gloss).  Then again, only Pearl really fits the easily marketable ideal that many companies shoot for; thin, mostly pink, and passably white.  Garnet is very clearly coded as a woman of color and rocks a full on natural fro; Amethyst is short and curvy, Rose is intimidatingly tall and also fat.  None represent the lofty yet limiting beauty standard that is often promoted in girl's toys.  They also are varying intensities of queer.

But many toy companies and I'll argue Cartoon Network don't want to, because they don't want to sell to girls.  I mean, you start acknowledging girls' purchasing power and what next? Their tastes? Their opinions? Their diversity? You don't see a lot of complaining from the boy's side of the aisle because the boy's side of the aisle, while limited in its own unique ways, has so many more options for self expression and exploratory play.  They have all the Avengers they want, because the Avengers are majority male cast, so they don't really miss Black Widow's exclusion.  Also, too, if you starting acknowledging a female audience and treating it with any ounce of respect as something more than a monogender the world would explode, I'm sure.  Even Disney, who is all the fuck about merchandising and marketing to girls (depending on the movie), pretty much half asses it.  They just paint the same ugly stock art of Elsa & Anna onto as much random and irrelevant crap as they can (seriously why is the stock art so awful?) and didn't really try to make anything creative based on the property itself.   

wAIT ALSO ACTUAL DRINKY BIRD PEARL

HOLY SHIT

GEM BUBBLE SNOW GLOBES

TRANSFORMER ASSEMBLY REQUIRED PERIDOT

GARNET'S. SUNGLASSES.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-01-2015 06:11:05 PM)

#53 | Back to Top07-21-2015 12:54:46 AM

serialxperiments
New Student

There is a part of me that wonders if they aren't being slated for cancellation and the show is being rushed out and wrapped up ahead of time.

From what I hear they've been renewed for a third season, and we're barely into the second one. They got time to do whatever they want. I also agree there are many many times where it feels like they're just pleasing fans, but at the same time they're spending most of their time doing their own thing. And even during times where it seems like they're overplaying certain characters, I think it blends okay.

Rose Tint My World

#54 | Back to Top07-21-2015 02:23:32 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

wAIT ALSO ACTUAL DRINKY BIRD PEARL

HOLY SHIT

GEM BUBBLE SNOW GLOBES

TRANSFORMER ASSEMBLY REQUIRED PERIDOT

GARNET'S. SUNGLASSES.

THESE ARE THINGS I WANT.

Its true we don't really know thw real force behind the creaton of toys & shit for cartoons. I'm really glad to hear of a potential third season, the cancellations rumors are, after all, rumors so who knows. I'm on board for the long haul.

But the day they make them into collectible figurines all the Crystal Clods will be mine mwahahahaha

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#55 | Back to Top08-01-2015 06:24:02 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Hmm, so Steven Universe was set to come back August 6th, they had an episode schedule and everything.  But then today they announced that they weren't coming back after all until September.  They played it off as wanting to extend their vacation, but this kind of thing makes me worry about the future of the show. emot-frown

Last edited by HonorableShadow (08-01-2015 06:25:47 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#56 | Back to Top08-01-2015 10:28:32 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

Hmm, so Steven Universe was set to come back August 6th, they had an episode schedule and everything.  But then today they announced that they weren't coming back after all until September.  They played it off as wanting to extend their vacation, but this kind of thing makes me worry about the future of the show. emot-frown

Really? I was so excited for the 6th. D:

Shit

#57 | Back to Top08-01-2015 01:27:14 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Hey guys! I am actually an OP of /r/stevenuniverse's IRC channel. Not the reddit itself but the admin is really cool and live chats happen when an episode appears!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#58 | Back to Top08-08-2015 08:26:04 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I've fallen in love with this show. I watched all of it in less than a week. I adore the characters, and I'm surprised at how emotionally invested I've become. After the first few episodes I thought I'd drop it, but I'm SO GLAD I kept going.

#59 | Back to Top08-09-2015 01:27:00 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Crystalline_Dream wrote:

I've fallen in love with this show. I watched all of it in less than a week. I adore the characters, and I'm surprised at how emotionally invested I've become. After the first few episodes I thought I'd drop it, but I'm SO GLAD I kept going.

Same here. It's a show that just drives a van into your heart.

#60 | Back to Top08-12-2015 11:33:53 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

YamPuff, emot-rofl

On the topic of feeling uncomfortable about Sardonyx, I don't know if it means anything, but I did notice that she has [diamonds on her shoes...]

Last edited by Crystalline_Dream (08-12-2015 11:35:10 PM)

#61 | Back to Top08-16-2015 01:29:17 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

^ Oooh, cool. XD

New episode titles include 'Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service'. A bunch of others seem to be about Amethyst, and not in a good way. D:

#62 | Back to Top10-08-2015 11:58:15 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Bumping for important news: http://vraik.tumblr.com/post/1307194295 … portingyou

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/tumblr_nvtqrny2EN1uqplryo1_500_zpsndmi6kem.png~original

I NEED PEARL. AND I NEED ROSE.
THE END.

#63 | Back to Top10-08-2015 02:36:30 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oooooooh. Want.

I'm getting caught up on SU now, and it does get good pretty quickly. emot-biggrin

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#64 | Back to Top10-08-2015 05:32:42 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yes nice!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Lion plushie and a Lapis plushie.

#65 | Back to Top10-09-2015 02:22:39 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

Yes nice!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Lion plushie and a Lapis plushie.

I want one so bad

#66 | Back to Top10-11-2015 06:04:56 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

YamPuff wrote:

HonorableShadow wrote:

I want one so bad

Ok, but imagine if it wasn't just a regular Lion plushie, but a giant Lion plushie. It's almost too beautiful to imagine. emot-aaa

#67 | Back to Top10-13-2015 01:29:06 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'm officially caught up now.

And I'm totally on board with the "giant Lion plushie" idea.

#68 | Back to Top10-18-2015 02:13:56 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Aaaah. A Steven Universe thread. Nice, nice.

This show has sneaked into my heart and made me reconsider my cynicism (the cynicism is not quite destroyed, but definitely put to the test).

I'm looking forward to seeing what the merch will be like, but I'm also a bit worried because I know I'll probably want some of the things (if not all of the things), but I don't have either money or space to spare. But a cute lil something besides Utena would be nice.

To address some of the older comments, the people working on the show said that CN is not working against them, but with them. And all the rescheduling is not a result of some impending doom. As already mentioned, it'll at the very least run a third season. So I wouldn't really worry about anything.

No new episodes until 2016, though. emot-frown

#69 | Back to Top10-19-2015 08:50:56 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Arki wrote:

Since I am now hooked, this is officially TRAGIC.

#70 | Back to Top10-19-2015 10:51:58 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Arki wrote:

Wait so 'Too far' is our last episode till next year? D: Tell me it isn't so

#71 | Back to Top10-20-2015 01:14:35 AM

JaxTH
New Student

YamPuff wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Arki wrote:

It's Adventure Time's turn now as it's been on hiatus for months.

#72 | Back to Top10-20-2015 10:07:31 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

JaxTH wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

It's Adventure Time's turn now as it's been on hiatus for months.

What the hell man emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

#73 | Back to Top10-30-2015 07:47:21 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

https://twitter.com/katiemitroff/status … 9357090816

Some Utena/Steven Universe cross-over art from someone who works on SU's storyboards. She even linked back to this site. emot-aaa

#74 | Back to Top10-31-2015 01:43:36 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

It's perfect:O

#75 | Back to Top11-03-2015 02:53:41 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Shouldn't jasper be Saionji instead of Juri? Since Jasper dominent attitude towards Lapis lazuli during Jailbreak is exactly like Saionji's treatment of Anthy when she was in his possession as the current champion duelist

Pearl would suit Juri a lot better since she has similar issues regarding her sexuality combined with Shiori's low sense of self-worth and clingy nature.

Board footer