This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-24-2010 09:40:53 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: I live in Japan. Ask me anything.

I remember you! Welcome back! etc-love

Reading all of this is so fascinating. emot-aaa Its really nice to read about real stuff in Japanese culture and not just run-of-the-mill anime fans babbling about all of the glamorous aspects of Japan.

So amused to hear about the seemingly innocent girls when they're drunk. emot-rofl Do you think Japanese culture encourages them to act more innocent than they really are? Is sexual-forwardness discouraged in women?

#27 | Back to Top05-25-2010 01:16:32 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Hmm, I guess I might as well crash this thread since people seem to have some interest in life in Japan. I hope I'm not being too rude, OnionPrince! m(_ _)m

I'm also living in Japan, working as an Assistant Language Teacher through the JET Program: the same one that OnionPrince did for two years. I've been here almost ten months now, and plan to make it a two-year stay. I also studied in Kyoto for about eight and a half months during college. (Kansai is a great area, and I totally recommend it.)

My job placement is highly unusual, probably unique. I live on a tiny island in the Seto Inland Sea, off to the side of the Shimanami Sea Route that connects Hiroshima Prefecture in Kyushu and Ehime Prefecture in Shikoku. When I say tiny, I mean absurdly, gloriously tiny. The island's population is about two hundred people. It's about one and a quarter square miles. The closest grocery store or restaurant is a forty-five minute ferry ride away, and even that island is quite rural. (My island does, however, have a tiny mom-and-pop store for staples and snacks.) It's not the smallest or least-populated island in Japan by any means... there's one right next door to me that has only about thirty elderly folks living on it... but it might be the smallest that has a full-time English teacher.

Like OnionPrince, I teach English, although I'd hazard to guess that he does significantly more work than me. There's a single combined Elementary-Middle school on my island, and I also do adult English conversation classes and visit the awesome Preschool/Kindergarten once a week. Obviously, the fact that I'm employed full-time here is kind of ridiculous: if the town wanted to, most of my duties could be covered by the ALTs from my neighboring islands. However, me living here does mean that I can play lots of tag with the elementary/preschool kids after school, so at least they're getting some benefit out of me. emot-smile

If anyone has any more questions about any of that, I'd be happy to talk more about it. In the meantime, I guess I'll make my own pass over previously-covered material...

OnionPrince's summary of the public's English ability is pretty right-on. However, if you want to visit Japan and don't speak Japanese, don't panic. Especially in larger cities, there are usually enough helpful English-speaking folks around to help you out. Also, many people are better at reading English than speaking or listening to it, so if communication falters you can always try writing down your question. (I've never tried that personally, but I'm told it sometimes works.)

OnionPrince wrote:

I've also heard that starting next year English will become compulsory in elementary schools as well.

Yes, regular English classes will be compulsory for 5th and 6th grade. Most schools have already started instituting it. They're using a textbook called Eigo Nooto that most foreign English teachers I've talked to hate for a variety of reasons. Others say it's not so bad, though. I haven't used it personally, since there are no 5th or 6th graders in my school.

-Onsen: Bathing with strangers? Unless they're female and in my age range, uh, no thanks.

Man, you're missing out. I've never felt so bathed as after going to an onsen. My favorite is Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama, but I've enjoyed others as well. Bathing with a bunch of other people isn't a big deal unless you make it out to be, I find. (Then again, I'm so totally near-sighted that they all look like vague patches of color to me anyway, so maybe that helps.)

Re: pachinko

Many times, I've considered going into a pachinko place and wasting 1000 yen just to see what it's like. But, man... they're so loud! As soon as the doors open, there's just this wave of sound assaulting your higher brain functions, and that's before you actually step inside. I just can't take it.

lex wrote:

I want to know whats it really like in Shibuya? Did you see Hachi? emot-dance

Yeah, Hachi is right outside one of the exits to the Shibuya subway station, so he's not hard to find. The area looks pretty much just like it does in The World Ends With You. (It always seemed a lot wider and less crowded in Super Gals!, though. Judging from your icon, I assume that's what's how you got familiar with Hachi. emot-smile)

As for Shibuya itself, it's basically a very dense and crowded downtown area, with lots of little winding streets. I got a little bit disoriented wandering around there (but in a fun way!). I'm sure there are cool hangouts there for young Tokyoites, but as a tourist, I found Harajuku to be better for people-watching and window-shopping.

satyreyes wrote:

Which leads to another question about the educational system: do you think Japan's system is better than America's at producing independent thinkers, or just at producing students who know more?  And whose system is better at producing high school graduates who have learned that their own desires are valuable?  In my mind, these seem like they would be the compensating benefits of our laxer and less rote educational system, but never having been to Japan I'm not really in a position to say emot-smile

I wouldn't say that teaching students to forge their own path is a strength of Japan's public school system, but then again, I'm not sure it's particularly a strength of America's, either. I suspect that most people who set aside culturally-mandated values of social and financial success do so in spite of standardized education, not because of it.

As for independent thinking, it kind of seems that in general, more back-and-forth is encouraged in the American system, or it's encouraged at an earlier stage. Students are urged to formulate, express, and argue their own opinions (regardless of whether or not their opinions are well-thought out, or whether they have a good understanding of the topic). It's much better to have an opinion or an idea, even if it's a bad one, than to not contribute to the marketplace of ideas. Here, the classic emphasis here is on receiving knowledge from one's teacher (and certainly not on trying to create unnecessary arguments). That's how it seems at the middle school level, at least, and probably high school, though I'm sure there are always exceptions.

So, even beyond language, I've heard that transfer students from Japan and other East Asian countries often have trouble adjusting to the different demands of American schools. Likewise, our teachers sometimes have trouble conceiving that a student can be learning if they don't speak up actively in class.

I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion about whether one system actually produces better independent thinkers, but I think American schools do place a higher value on being able to take a public position and argue it. It's a skill that's very useful in American culture, and not as essential in Japanese culture. Perhaps that ties into differences in our conceptions of self, but I'll end my ramble here before this turns into "Dallbun Half-Remembers His Cultural Psychology Classes: The Thread."

#28 | Back to Top05-27-2010 06:52:20 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

satyreyes wrote:

Which leads to another question about the educational system: do you think Japan's system is better than America's at producing independent thinkers, or just at producing students who know more?  And whose system is better at producing high school graduates who have learned that their own desires are valuable?  In my mind, these seem like they would be the compensating benefits of our laxer and less rote educational system, but never having been to Japan I'm not really in a position to say

I'm hesitant to make any strong generalizations on this, but from what I've seen, somewhat less priority is placed on independent thinking in Japanese schools. (I've never been to a private school in either country, mind you, so this is strictly based on my experiences with public education.) Generally speaking, one's own desires are suppressed in deference to group cohesion, and the classroom interaction is usually one-sided. As Dallbun mentioned, students are there to receive information from the teacher and not give any backtalk. They do seem to have the upper hand in sheer information memorization, though. Hell, the written form of the Japanese language pretty much requires it.

Also, I think it bears mentioning that Japanese people spend at least 5 days a week (sometimes 6 if they have weekend club activities) for the first 18 years of their life in a uniform. Not to mention the uniforms (for women) and suits (for men) they'll be stuck wearing in the corporate world. I'm not totally against the idea of school uniforms, but my gut tells me that limiting children's potential for self-expression can have significant long-term consequences.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

So amused to hear about the seemingly innocent girls when they're drunk.  Do you think Japanese culture encourages them to act more innocent than they really are? Is sexual-forwardness discouraged in women?

I would say so. In fact, aside from a bit of inebriated innuendo, I have never come across a Japanese woman who demonstrated any sexual-forwardness. Perhaps if I dug deep into some seedy Tokyo nightclubs my findings would be different, but then again the sort of people who go there would likely be seen as deviants by society. Interestingly, this also seems to extend to adult films. There are only maybe one or two actresses who display any sort of aggressiveness or initiative (and believe me, I've looked). Most of them just lay there and squeak while they're being dominated and/or humiliated. Apparently that's where the biggest market share is.

I think the heart of this issue may be gender equality, where Japan seems to be about a decade or two behind most Western countries. But that's a whole other can of worms.

#29 | Back to Top05-27-2010 10:32:14 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

OnionPrince! I was wondering where you went. etc-love It's so good to see you back and furthermore reminding us of your insight and interesting experiences!

...Aaaand I can't really think of any good interesting questions at the moment before jetlag has punched my brain. So I'll just be bland and send you my adoring e-huggles.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#30 | Back to Top05-30-2010 12:31:26 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Katzenklavier wrote:

OnionPrince! I was wondering where you went. etc-love It's so good to see you back and furthermore reminding us of your insight and interesting experiences!

...Aaaand I can't really think of any good interesting questions at the moment before jetlag has punched my brain. So I'll just be bland and send you my adoring e-huggles.

Hey, Katzy! I missed ya. Consider your e-huggles much appreciated and reciprocated. By the way, am I correctly understanding that you're in Turkey now? I’m interested to hear about your experiences abroad too. emot-dance

Random Japan fact of the day: Cellphones here contain technology that's sufficiently advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic. Most modern phones here allow you to put your name and number in someone else’s address book by holding your phone close to theirs and pressing a few buttons. Also, if you have a particular kind of plan, you can *pay for things* with your cellphone. Apparently you wave it over a credit card scanner thing at checkout, and whatever you bought gets added to your next phone bill.

#31 | Back to Top05-30-2010 03:54:25 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

I thought American phones COULD do the phone next to eachother thing, and I just have a crappy phone. WTF, this is mind blowing.

If you see J.A. Seazer, can you drug him and ship him to me? I have lots of questions for him. Please don't hurt him, I'd like him to remember the answers to my questions.

I'm getting OMG taken advantage of when I buy Japanese toys, aren't I? Are things like that NEARLY as expensive as buying them in America? I mean, I know there's shipping, but really now.

Do they really really love Kewpie? I've never figured out why he's on my mayonnaise. I feel uncomfortable with him watching me eat. D:

#32 | Back to Top05-30-2010 12:38:36 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

OP: By the way, am I correctly understanding that you're in Turkey now?

I wish! I was in Turkey for two weeks earlier this month, and frankly am regretting not going to live with the street gypsies just to stay.

Cellphones here contain technology that's sufficiently advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic. Most modern phones here allow you to put your name and number in someone else’s address book by holding your phone close to theirs and pressing a few buttons. Also, if you have a particular kind of plan, you can *pay for things* with your cellphone. Apparently you wave it over a credit card scanner thing at checkout, and whatever you bought gets added to your next phone bill.

Oh my JEHOVAH. That is truly fascinating! So my question; what's the average person's attitude towards all the technological advances and the very modern style of living? According to my Japanese friends, it's a country wedged between concepts of progress and extreme tradition, Westernizing influences and a powerful homogeneous culture. I just watched Kairo and noticed that the isolating influence of technology seems to be a source of fear and tension in much of the media. Is this an accurate observation or the baseless conjecture of an outsider?

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#33 | Back to Top05-31-2010 07:03:57 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

allegoriest wrote:

I thought American phones COULD do the phone next to eachother thing, and I just have a crappy phone. WTF, this is mind blowing.

Really? I've never heard of that feature on any phone available in the US. (Well, none of the ones I ever had in the US did, but then again I never had a Blackberry or equivalent and I've been gone a year already). The phone I got here is the absolute cheapest, bare-bones, bottom-of-the-barrel model that one can possibly get and it still has that nifty feature.

Are things like that NEARLY as expensive as buying them in America? I mean, I know there's shipping, but really now.

This is true. If you don't count shipping, it's not much cheaper to get this stuff directly in Japan. I mean, certain pieces of essential electronica can still be had for reasonable prices, but Japanese can really get carried away with adding features to gadgets. It can get to the point where nothing is simple anymore and costs start to balloon. When I first arrived, I tried shopping for a simple rice cooker. Regardless of where I went, I could not find one under 10,000 yen, and many were 2 to 3 times that. They had millions of buttons and LCD displays and all this other crap. I mean, it's rice, not cold fusion! It actually ended up being cheaper for me to order a non-insane cooker online (like $25) and have it shipped from the US. I often wonder: If people could still buy cheap ones here, would those overly complex, outrageously-priced ones still sell?

As for Kewpie et al, Japan has this obsession with cute mascots. They are everywhere, watching you... Waiting… <_< Seriously, it seems like every company has to have one, and it must be adorable, regardless of their target audience. When I compare relatively recent mascots to ones that have been around for a while, I get the distinct impression that there's been a cuteness arms race. Baby dolls and anime characters are no longer the cutting edge of cute. No, these days it's all about embarrassingly bad, aww-he-thinks-he-can-draw childlike scribbles.

Thus AEON, the largest retailer in Asia (basically the Walmart of Japan) has a mascot which is a pathetic fucking dog that looks like it was drawn by a 5-year old.
http://waonic.up.seesaa.net/image/waon1.jpg
Just think: graphic artists are getting paid top dollar to come up with this stuff!

(Incidentally, AEON was founded in 1758 as a small fabric store called Shinohara-ya.)

P.S. I will keep an eye out for J.A. Seazer for you.

Katzenklavier wrote:

So my question; what's the average person's attitude towards all the technological advances and the very modern style of living?

As far as I can tell, the younger generation is obsessed with/addicted to/immersed in technology and modernity, middle-age people seem to have resigned to it without much fuss, and older folks just seem to not bother with it. I'm not sure if the average Japanese person feels more connected or more isolated by technology, or if they feel that they're losing traditional culture or gaining something new. It's not something I've really ever asked anyone about yet. But I think coexistence is possible.

I've watched bullet trains race by where little old men and women were plowing a field by hand. I've seen teenagers talking on Bluetooth sets and playing on their handheld game systems at one of the country's most ancient temples, one still tended by celibate monks and shrine maidens. For me, it's this blend of different worlds -of different eras- that makes Japan so fascinating.

#34 | Back to Top06-01-2010 09:30:49 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

I eventually want to train and fight in Japan (Japan has an amazing amateur shooto competition circuit, as opposed to American MMA where you are likely to get fed to a guy turning pro and humiliated in front of hundreds of screaming rednecks). What's the best job for a foreigner besides teaching English?

#35 | Back to Top06-03-2010 05:48:53 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Hedgehogey wrote:

What's the best job for a foreigner besides teaching English?

Well, to be honest, the best job for a foreigner in Japan is the coveted "media personality" position. You do commercials, appear on variety shows, and are basically considered a pop-culture ambassador. Of course, there is literally a one in a billion chance of ever attaining such prestige here.

One thing that might be up your alley is professional wrestling. I'm serious. It's still rather respected in Japan, and there have been many, many athletes who have successfully over from shoot fighting to scripted wrestling and vice versa. Don Frye is the best example I can think of at the moment.

Other less glamorous but more realistic lines of work here basically break down to hospitality, tourism, and other service-related stuff. Flight attendant on airlines going to North America? Bouncer at a gaijin-friendly Tokyo nightclub, perhaps? It's slim pickens, to be honest. As a foreigner, the only things you are assumed to be capable of are teaching your language and dealing with other foreigners, unless your Japanese is really outstanding and you can prove yourself more capable than all the non-foreigners they'd rather hire. It's tough, but not impossible.

#36 | Back to Top06-03-2010 07:17:09 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

I missed you dearly! We used to have so much fun on the Caption Contest together emot-tongue emot-tongue

Glad you are enjoying life in japan! You are full of wonderful information!!

#37 | Back to Top06-04-2010 08:28:26 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

KissFromARose wrote:

I missed you dearly! We used to have so much fun on the Caption Contest together emot-tongue emot-tongue

Thanks, I missed you too! And I feel kinda guilty about missing out on the caption contest for so long. Is it still a regular thing?

Random fact of the day: Not long ago, I found out that my favorite Japanese singer did a cover of your namesake song. Neat, huh?

#38 | Back to Top06-04-2010 03:48:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

When I first arrived, I tried shopping for a simple rice cooker. Regardless of where I went, I could not find one under 10,000 yen, and many were 2 to 3 times that. They had millions of buttons and LCD displays and all this other crap. I mean, it's rice, not cold fusion! It actually ended up being cheaper for me to order a non-insane cooker online (like $25) and have it shipped from the US. I often wonder: If people could still buy cheap ones here, would those overly complex, outrageously-priced ones still sell?

I wonder! I almost want to say they probably would, on the basis that they're marketed now to a culture that probably equates the extra buttons with quality. There's a definite balance to strike, I find a lot of things in the US annoyingly behind--the Japanese miracle cell phones would be eaten up like candy here, and you know what would be awesome somehighspeedrailinthisstupidgoddamncountry. And yet...I want my simple rice cooker too. (Is there nothing better in the world than rice cookers? Have you ever made brown rice with them? I made the move recently to whole grain when I can manage it but it's definitely a different cooking experience, so I'm not sure the cookers would work.)

Anyway there doesn't seem to be this distinction in Japan, but it's something you see in any group where there's an elite class. People who are CHEFS want blenders with 90 buttons. Normal folks want blenders that blend stuff. People with home theaters expect their blu-ray player to be able to launch into space. Japan seems to me like a culture of the elite. When they buy something they seem to have to get the level best, or at least the most complicated, which I think most consumers associate with 'best'. In that regard it's a more loyal consumer culture I think than the one stateside. Which brings me to a question...are the Japanese as frugal as we are otherwise? In the US, the 'deal' is highly valued, though this isn't a negotiating society (like you'd find in India, for example). If the price of everything is so outrageous there already, it almost makes me wonder if the Japanese are as eager to get the bargains as we are. I mean...we kill people every Black Friday. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top06-04-2010 04:53:26 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

OnionPrince wrote:

KissFromARose wrote:

Thanks, I missed you too! And I feel kinda guilty about missing out on the caption contest for so long. Is it still a regular thing?

Random fact of the day: Not long ago, I found out that my favorite Japanese singer did a cover of your namesake song. Neat, huh?

OMG... *GLEE* i freaking LOVE THIS. This is FABULOUS!!!! ahhh i love you emot-biggrin emot-biggrin emot-biggrin... and her voice, and this song, and this ... this this this.

Man i sound like a 5 year old on a sugar high.

This is... wow... probably my favorite now... i wonder... is there a place ic ould download the MP3?

At any rate, the caption contest is kind-of hit and miss lately. i miss it. lol.

Have you considered visiting Korea? i dont know how much plane tickets are, but i want to do a joint trip when i go.

#40 | Back to Top06-04-2010 05:27:35 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

You can rip it from youtube. I know there are sites to do that... Google 'youtube mp3 download' or something. I only know the one from niconico off the top of my head, sorry. emot-gonk

#41 | Back to Top06-06-2010 04:44:23 AM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Have you met any gajins(?) who were not raised in Japan whi can speak and read Japanese properly?

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#42 | Back to Top06-06-2010 07:37:24 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: rice cookers

Huh, that's interesting. The apartment I'm renting came equipped with a Japanese rice cooker left by one of my predecessors, and it's just as simple as the one I had back home: the buttons are basically Cook Rice and Stop Warming Rice. I guess it's just old... I'm sure you looked pretty thoroughly for a new one like it.

Mock Puppet wrote:

Have you met any gajins(?) who were not raised in Japan whi can speak and read Japanese properly?

Sure. It's all a matter of degree, but I've met lots of people whose Japanese is strong, and some who are completely fluent. As you might expect, the strongest people tend to be those who are living here for the long-term (or who have otherwise made a career out of their language skill). In Kyoto, I had the pleasure of knowing a couple of foreign-born professors who teach at Japanese universities, and of course they were perfect.

#43 | Back to Top06-07-2010 09:43:57 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Mock Puppet wrote:

Sure. It's all a matter of degree, but I've met lots of people whose Japanese is strong, and some who are completely fluent. As you might expect, the strongest people tend to be those who are living here for the long-term (or who have otherwise made a career out of their language skill). In Kyoto, I had the pleasure of knowing a couple of foreign-born professors who teach at Japanese universities, and of course they were perfect.

Thank you for answering.

So how many kanji does the average Japanese know?

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#44 | Back to Top06-08-2010 07:40:51 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Mock Puppet wrote:

So how many kanji does the average Japanese know?

By the time they finish school, a Japanese person is supposed to have learned approximately 2000 kanji. Basically you'd never need more than that unless you were attempting to decipher some really old or obscure texts.

I feel I should mention as someone who dedicated a large chunk of my life to studying this language that kanji is simply awful. I hated every moment of memorizing these nonsensical hieroglyphics. Sure, Japanese grammar is straight-forward; the phonics are very simple. But for some unknown reason, the ancient Japanese decided that instead of coming up with their own alphabet from scratch, they would do a half-assed plagarism of one of the worst writing systems ever created by humankind. And, while they only took a fraction of the total characters from Chinese, they multiplied the number of possible ways to read each one! Ugh.

Giovanna wrote:

Which brings me to a question...are the Japanese as frugal as we are otherwise?

I would say so. It seems like most Japanese people are actually pretty good with money. They tend to save up a lot over long periods of time, economizing when they can, and then splurge on big things every now and then: a HDTV, a PS3, a trip to Hawaii, or whatever. 100 yen stores, analagous to dollar stores/99 cent shops in the US, have always been around and never run out of customers. Perhaps the philosophy is, if want to be able to afford the "best" of something, you have to make sacrifices along the way. Not a bad way to live, really.

Is there nothing better in the world than rice cookers? Have you ever made brown rice with them?

I haven't tried yet, but I think I will! Hmm, what goes good with brown rice that a culinary clueless like me could prepare for cheap? (I have the rice cooker, an electric cooktop with no oven, a microwave, and a few pots n' pans.)

KissFromARose wrote:

Have you considered visiting Korea? i dont know how much plane tickets are, but i want to do a joint trip when i go.

Yeah, I'd love to go some time, but I'm actually kind of scared to travel to any country where I don't speak the language. All I know how to say in Korean is hello, goodbye, I love you, I'm sorry, and you crazy bitch. >_>

#45 | Back to Top06-09-2010 07:08:15 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

OnionPrince wrote:

Hedgehogey wrote:

What's the best job for a foreigner besides teaching English?

Well, to be honest, the best job for a foreigner in Japan is the coveted "media personality" position. You do commercials, appear on variety shows, and are basically considered a pop-culture ambassador. Of course, there is literally a one in a billion chance of ever attaining such prestige here.

One thing that might be up your alley is professional wrestling. I'm serious. It's still rather respected in Japan, and there have been many, many athletes who have successfully over from shoot fighting to scripted wrestling and vice versa. Don Frye is the best example I can think of at the moment.

Man if I could meet Don Frye and his world-bestriding mustache that would make my life. But i'll give that some thought. I had an offer to do that once.

Other less glamorous but more realistic lines of work here basically break down to hospitality, tourism, and other service-related stuff. Flight attendant on airlines going to North America? Bouncer at a gaijin-friendly Tokyo nightclub, perhaps? It's slim pickens, to be honest. As a foreigner, the only things you are assumed to be capable of are teaching your language and dealing with other foreigners, unless your Japanese is really outstanding and you can prove yourself more capable than all the non-foreigners they'd rather hire. It's tough, but not impossible.

Bouncing sounds good. I've done that before. Thanks for answering.

#46 | Back to Top06-11-2010 07:18:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

And, while they only took a fraction of the total characters from Chinese, they multiplied the number of possible ways to read each one! Ugh.

The Japanese ability to absorb and recreate the culture of other groups they run into has always fascinated me, especially when it gets as ugly as that. Reasonably, it makes sense to want fewer kanji, but is giving each multiple meanings more efficient? Depends, I suppose. To me, the easiest language would be one that removes as much circumstantial variation as possible--a word should have a single meaning, without a context changing it. And yet that runs very counter to the culture especially of the periods where a lot of Chinese habits and information were taken in. Isn't Japanese poetry basically half 'abuse' of this ability to give words multiple meanings? Every hiaku I saw in the Tale of Genji needed a mile long explanation of the multiple interpretations based on the words meaning two, sometimes three things.

As far as what to do with brown rice, anything with a brown sauce. Frankly the only place I've found brown rice to really fall short is in sushi...you just can't use it there. I also tend to miss basmati rice when given curry, but I've found brown basmati rice before, which makes that a non-issue. But really, the best ways to 'break' into brown rice would be more savory, umami sort of dishes. Soy sauces, red meats. Fried rice with brown rice works quite well.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#47 | Back to Top06-11-2010 08:37:49 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

First time I had brown rice, my mom fried it with lots of black peppers, bell peppers (chopped), and peppered beef (chopped in strings)

Sorry, I don't do kitchen-speak :-/

#48 | Back to Top06-11-2010 10:11:23 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

To me, the easiest language would be one that removes as much circumstantial variation as possible--a word should have a single meaning, without a context changing it.

This deserves its own thread sometime. emot-smile  I think this is fundamentally impossible for a number of reasons.  One is figurative language.  "Green" in English is a color, but if you call a person "green" it means they're young and inexperienced.  "Aoi" in Japanese also means green, and -- guess what? -- you can call a person "aoi" to mean that they're young and inexperienced.  The reason for the parallelism, of course, is that unripe fruit is just as green in Japan as it is in England and America.  This kind of everyday metaphor or metonymy abounds -- celebrities are "stars," French people are "Frogs," and so on.  It's too juicy to give up, though I suppose you could learn Lojban!

#49 | Back to Top06-11-2010 11:05:05 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

satyreyes wrote:

"Aoi" in Japanese also means green, and -- guess what? -- you can call a person "aoi" to mean that they're young and inexperienced.  The reason for the parallelism, of course, is that unripe fruit is just as green in Japan as it is in England and America.

Now, the only Japanese I ever learned is by nearly a decade of watching subtitled anime, but!  Isn't "aoi" blue? You know.. like "aoi sora" ("blue sky")? I'm pretty sure that the Japanese word for green is "midori".  To that point, if I remember correctly, Fuu's magical chant in Magic Knight Rayearth is "midori kaze" ("green wind"), and Fuu is like, the green one. emot-redface

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (06-11-2010 11:09:49 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#50 | Back to Top06-11-2010 11:28:23 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

"Aoi" in Japanese also means green, and -- guess what? -- you can call a person "aoi" to mean that they're young and inexperienced.  The reason for the parallelism, of course, is that unripe fruit is just as green in Japan as it is in England and America.

Now, the only Japanese I ever learned is by nearly a decade of watching subtitled anime, but!  Isn't "aoi" blue? You know.. like "aoi sora" ("blue sky")? I'm pretty sure that the Japanese word for green is "midori".  To that point, if I remember correctly, Fuu's magical chant in Magic Knight Rayearth is "midori kaze" ("green wind"), and Fuu is like, the green one. emot-redface

Well, this is really more of a question for OnionPrince, Dallbun, or someone else who really knows what he's talking about, but my understanding is that the Japanese color spectrum looks something like this:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/japanese-spectrum.jpg

So midori is a shade of aoi, even though aoi also means a more specific color (medium to dark blue).  A green traffic light, for instance, is said to be aoi, even though it could fairly be described as midori.  Or at least, that's my understanding!  Is that right, Japanese experts?

If so, then yes, aoi is ordinarily translated as blue, unless the context firmly establishes that the color is what we'd call green -- and when we're talking about unripe fruits and inexperienced people, context does establish that emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (06-11-2010 11:39:13 AM)

Board footer