This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-16-2014 02:34:11 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Misleading Summaries/Trailers/Reviews

Thread to share amusingly or frustratingly misleading trailers or summaries. Trailers that really don't resemble their movie, or weird shelving like Netflix considering Golden Child a family comedy, or Blockbuster occasionally stocking Angel Heart in comedy.

Mainly, because I just realized the IMDB summary for Penetration Angst says "In the vein of Audition and Hostel. Helen finds herself having intimacy problems with men. Her private parts are devouring all lovers and leaving her with an insatiable thirst for blood." As opposed to what happens in the actual movie, which is that she's raped by her boyfriend who then disappears, her gynecologist sexually assaults her and disappears, and while she's upset about it, her step father, who's already at the least an abusive prick, tries to take advantage of her. It follows, "In order to satisfy her cravings she becomes a prostitute which leads to a death filled tale of murder, madness, and sex," which more and more makes it seem like she's just throwing herself around and men are dying. It's shame and anger time, not hot nympho killer on the town.

Similarly, I think a big part of what killed Dark City, in theaters, was that the trailers made it out to be a sort of slasher movie, which is very much isn't. (The other thing is that it was stupidly recut, with that inane spoil-the-mystery voice over at the beginning and such.) Anyone who saw the trailer and ran to see the movie did not get the movie they were being sold. Not even a little. You've got a science fictiony noir mystery centering around memory, murder, and control,  and it was marketed as a bunch of pale weirdies in funny hats stabbing people while Rufus Sewell sweats in fear.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top07-16-2014 03:00:18 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Re: Misleading Summaries/Trailers/Reviews

Interestingly enough, Tangled's advertising was definitely misleading.
The initial trailer for the movie is, I believe, made up entirely of slapstick scenes that are not in the movie at all. The poster also seems to point towards Rapunzel being mischievous or stoic. Which, really, she's not. She's actually very well-behaved and shy for the most part. She does trick her mother and does prove to be a competent fighter but they aren't the traits that define her. Under normal circumstances she would neither disobey her mother nor would she go out of her way to have a test of wills against other people.
I honestly think it was a great disservice to the movie. And really that's what misleading promotional materials are, for the most part. They make the assumption that the movie, for what it is, is not good enough to get people to see it. And maybe it's not? But if that's the case it's a seriously jackass move to trick people into seeing something they don't want to see. It only serves to make the movie leave the audience with a bad taste in their mouth.

#3 | Back to Top07-25-2014 10:18:13 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Every single Bayformers movie trailer since the second one.

Second one promised a dark, horror sci fi movie, and we got what we got.

Third one promised an awesome city battle with high stakes, got a complete scam instead.

Fourth one was...well, not a scam, and certainly a huge improvement over the last two, but the trailer is still misleading, because it tells you it's going to be an action thriller where the Autobots and their human allies are chased by the US gvt. and possibly others as well. Instead, we get only a little of that and more about flying blocks.

#4 | Back to Top07-25-2014 11:02:35 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

How weird are Lolita covers/posters that focus on her looking sexual or delighted? Considering she spends most of the story sad, scared, frustrated, and inevitably dead.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top07-26-2014 12:17:23 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And to get it out of the way, Frozen had a super-generic trailer.  "It was warm but now it's cold, because of an ice woman I guess, and there's a princess and a guy.  And a hilarious talking snowman!!"

...And I think that's great.

If Frozen had been marketed as subversive, I think the movie would've been half as effective.  The ideal trailer for Frozen should have barely a hint that you will see ideas that you've never seen explored in a Disney movie before.  I wouldn't have seen that movie.  I would have rolled my eyes at Disney's attempt to be hip and edgy.  (I didn't see Enchanted, which was marketed that way, until OITL sat me down, for exactly that reason.)  Instead, Disney -- I'm sure with the help of social media tendrils -- let the word about the movie spread after release.  "You're not going to believe what they did."  The first I saw of Frozen was an out-of-context YouTube upload of "Let It Go," and based on that song alone I knew I needed to see the movie, because on one hand, this is an absolutely classic "Disney Princess Wants To Escape Castle" song, and on the other hand, she is isolating herself, and this is never a good thing in Disney.  But princesses are never bad!!  I wanted to know who this character was, and I was not disappointed.

(Maybe a little.  Just near the end.)

A cunning stratagem by Disney, or just lazy play-it-safe marketing?  I don't know and I don't care.  To be fair, the snowman was less awful than the comic relief usually is.  Thank you, Arnold Cunningham.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-26-2014 12:19:36 AM)

#6 | Back to Top05-06-2015 01:50:54 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Just on the off chance, does anyone have the ad for Miike's Audition that ran in either the New York Times or Post to make it look like Autumn in New York with more Japanese people?

I really, really wish I'd torn that out and stuck it in a scrapbook, because I've never been able to google it up or anything.

#7 | Back to Top05-06-2015 06:45:14 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Satyr, you might find this piece about Frozen's ad campaign interesting.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#8 | Back to Top05-06-2015 08:22:54 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

MissMocha wrote:

Satyr, you might find this piece about Frozen's ad campaign interesting.

yaaay etc-love

#9 | Back to Top05-06-2015 09:34:39 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's a pretty great article emot-smile

Under-promise and over-deliver is an underrated tactic in sales, but it sure works better in the long run than the reverse.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#10 | Back to Top05-06-2015 11:11:15 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Pan's Labyrinth was marketed as a dark fantasy, like Narnia for adults perhaps, maybe a mature teen would watch it.

In reality it is a terrifying movie that will scar you emotionally and probably give you nightmares. I absolutely love it to pieces, it's one of my favorite movies but I know there were a lot of people who went in to see a fantasy and were shaken up or had to leave the theater early.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Board footer