This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-15-2007 08:18:45 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Ouran High School Host Club (SHADOW KING OHTORI)

Ah, good, so I'm not the only one.

>.>

<.<

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#52 | Back to Top04-04-2007 04:18:25 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

#53 | Back to Top04-05-2007 05:06:05 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I think I'm now a raving Tamaki x Kyouya fan....let the twins have Haruhi for all I care. emot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaa

Good stuff those. etc-love

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#54 | Back to Top04-07-2007 10:34:11 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I do love Mori. I wish they added the extra story when he gets sleepy. They added the dark Honey segment when they get his bunny wet.

Oh, and I was listening to the drama CDs! On the second CD, at the beginning of track 3, Tamaki (Hikaru Midorikawa, same as Mikage!) sings "Dona Dona".

Here's the link:

http://ouran.krysyuy.net/sections/downl … _cd_2.html

The site's a great site too, so check everything else out!

#55 | Back to Top04-07-2007 07:00:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rae wrote:

I do love Mori. I wish they added the extra story when he gets sleepy. They added the dark Honey segment when they get his bunny wet.

Oh, and I was listening to the drama CDs! On the second CD, at the beginning of track 3, Tamaki (Hikaru Midorikawa, same as Mikage!) sings "Dona Dona".

Here's the link:

http://ouran.krysyuy.net/sections/downl … _cd_2.html

The site's a great site too, so check everything else out!

Its great hearing some of those voices (especially Renge's), I only wish they subtitles or an English translation.

#56 | Back to Top04-27-2007 08:44:55 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Since there are a lot of links for Ouran AMVs, forgive me if I post my own. I just finished it and uploaded it on Youtube. Since Tamago likes good lip synching, I tried my best on this one. I just hate how Youtube made the video lag a bit. There's a link to the downloadable in the info though. Tell me what you think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ps0IMWmaZE

#57 | Back to Top04-27-2007 08:55:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rae wrote:

Since there are a lot of links for Ouran AMVs, forgive me if I post my own. I just finished it and uploaded it on Youtube. Since Tamago likes good lip synching, I tried my best on this one. I just hate how Youtube made the video lag a bit. There's a link to the downloadable in the info though. Tell me what you think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ps0IMWmaZE

I guess Youtube does have its limits but none the less its still quite impressive. emot-keke

#58 | Back to Top04-27-2007 09:22:52 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Thanks a lot, Tamago! I also really appreciate the updates on the OHPS updates. I'm just mad that I didn't get the chance to see "Toucha". That's my favorite song too emot-frown

#59 | Back to Top04-27-2007 09:59:58 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rae wrote:

Thanks a lot, Tamago! I also really appreciate the updates on the OHPS updates. I'm just mad that I didn't get the chance to see "Toucha". That's my favorite song too emot-frown

I wonder why they took the Ep 10-Touch-a, Touch-a, TouchMe video off Youtube?? It seemed ok to me!

#60 | Back to Top05-02-2007 03:13:48 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Oh hell yes. I am so watching this later. etc-love

I really want to get an Ouran cosplay group together, and I've only seen something like six episodes. I adore it.

#61 | Back to Top07-25-2008 08:52:47 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

NECRO!

Holy crap, so Funimation dubbed Ouran. And Vic Mignogna plays Tamaki. I like Vic though, so I don't mind. I loved him as Junpei in Persona 3

The big news.

Oh and good news! They're releasing the volumes in two parts, Volume One will include episodes 1-13. They come out (I believe) October 28, 2008. Sounds like a remastering of my AMV will happen (probably).

#62 | Back to Top07-26-2008 08:10:58 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rae wrote:

NECRO!

Holy crap, so Funimation dubbed Ouran. And Vic Mignogna plays Tamaki. I like Vic though, so I don't mind. I loved him as Junpei in Persona 3

The big news.

Oh and good news! They're releasing the volumes in two parts, Volume One will include episodes 1-13. They come out (I believe) October 28, 2008. Sounds like a remastering of my AMV will happen (probably).

Personally I like the idea of dubs, just as long as they get the right people to play them and they don't butcher the storyline.

#63 | Back to Top07-29-2008 01:09:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I like the idea of releasing it in huge chunks like that, I hope that's a trend in anime. These days when you can buy 24 episode season DVDs of American shows, buying 3 and 4 episodes at a time of anime seems kinda ridiculous.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#64 | Back to Top11-02-2008 06:13:32 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

So, you can watch episodes of the newly English-dubbed episodes of Ouran High School Host Club on youtube and Veoh.

My opinions (so far) of the dub:

Beginning and Ending themes re-sung in English = OH GOD NO WHY?  I really like the original versions, they were catchy...but these (especially the ending theme) sound truly awful.

Haruhi- Caitlin Glass is terrible... her acting sounds like a bad fan-dub.  It improves a bit in the next two episodes...but she is far too intentionally insulting, and growly and pissed.  She's made Haruhi...whom I adore...a very unlikable character.  Haruhi is supposed to be down-to-earth, realistic, and passionless...not a bitch.

Tamaki-  Vic's portrayal looses a little of his character's deeply over-dramatic airs and childlike emotions, but has the perfect amount of over-confidence, cheese, hilarity and spazziness that we all know and love.  His is a slightly different Tamaki, but a lovable one all the same.

Kaoru & Hikaru
-  They sound the best when they speak simultaneously.  When they speak individually they loose a bit of their mischievous edge and sarcasm.  But they play up the fake-yaoi scenes brilliantly.

Honey-  A bit annoying at first, and certainly nowhere near as cute as his VA counterpart, but easy to get used to and well-acted.

Mori- He only has a few lines...but his voice sounds DEAD ON like his Japanese VA.

Kyouya
-  Also takes a little getting used to, as his voice sounds a little old for his character, but by the second or third episode, his VA seems to find the perfect balance of calm and calculating politeness that defines Kyouya's outward social veneer.   You can hear his real smile, small and victorious, behind the one drawn on his character's face, and in the appropriate places, hear the lack of one.

I do appreciate that they included the honorifics in the dub.  But there are some instances where they changed around the translation and I'm not so sure why.  Overall, they biggest problem I have with the dub is Haruhi's VA and the theme songs, and the rest, while having definite room for improvement, I have hope for.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (11-02-2008 06:15:14 PM)

#65 | Back to Top11-02-2008 06:43:30 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I'm current annoyed.  The USPS decided to deliver my Ouran to the wrong zip code over 2 weeks ago.  They said they "fixed" the problem, but I still haven't received the package. emot-frown  Not that it matters, as I've already seen the series, but I want my season 1 boxset, dang it.

#66 | Back to Top11-02-2008 08:10:06 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I've just gotten through the first episode dubbed, so I haven't given the actors enough time to adjust yet. As long as they can improve with time, I won't be too harsh. I personally think that they hit the dramatic factor with most of the voices, but they still feel a little off. First episode impression would be: Kyouya sounds a little too deep for my taste, but he's not a lost cause quite yet. Tamaki and Haruhi sounded the way I expected them to, and I actually find Haruhi's voice fitting for her current state without the uniform; however, I can't really picture it working quite as well once she is cleaned up. Honey has a typical shota-type voice, and I see no substantial flaws. But... WHY, KAORU, WHY? I don't like the twin's voices at all. They have a nasally sound at times, and it's really bothering me.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#67 | Back to Top11-04-2008 11:14:29 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

Ouran Host Club is my favorite anime and manga in terms of characters. I love it because it makes fun of shoujo stereotypes, it's hilarious and yet serious at times, and has beautiful artwork. I read the manga and like it although the newest chapters focus a little too much on romance for my taste. The anime is brilliant, and has a ton of symbolism. It reminds me of Utena quite a lot with all the roses and fancy school setting.

Haruhi is a great character and I commend her for keeping her cool around six energetic, gorgeous guys. I like Tamaki even though he's annoying at times, but he's genuinely a good person. Kyouya is sexy and his Japanese VA is my favorite, and his secret caring for Tamaki is really great. He really does have a good heart. I like Hikaru and Kaoru as well, mostly because I have a strange fixation with twins. I like Kaoru a little more.

My favorite character is Mori, cause I love the quiet guys. Hani is cute and perceptive, and I also like Kasanoda a lot.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#68 | Back to Top11-05-2008 12:57:12 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I'm a little frightened to see what they'll do with my favorite character-- Nekozawa. emot-gonk

(I wuvs you, Nekozawa~!)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#69 | Back to Top11-05-2008 02:01:56 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

dollface wrote:

I'm a little frightened to see what they'll do with my favorite character-- Nekozawa. emot-gonk

(I wuvs you, Nekozawa~!)

Much love for Nekozawa.  I really thought that Derek Stephen Prince would be cast as him.  But I can't wait either way. 

I really love all of Ouran's characters.  Kyouya is definitely my favorite, followed by Nekozawa, Haruhi, Casonova-kun, Tamaki and Mori.

Oh, and RANKA-SAN.  Crap, there's too much awesome.

#70 | Back to Top11-07-2008 08:50:31 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

After the mention of them putting the opening and closing themes into English, I got curious and pulled out my season 1 boxset this evening.

The opening theme starts out just terrible, but about 1/4 of the way in the singer finally gets it together and manages to pull it out fairly well.  The ending is just bad though.  And to me, there's one big reason: the vocals are too far over the music itself.  In the Japanese version, the vocals are almost muffled and hidden by the music.  This masks some of the off-key sounds of the original.  Unfortunately, the English version is right over the top and way too clear to be enjoyable.

As for the voices, I could only handle a few seconds of any of them, but I really dislike dubs.  I don't dislike their existence, I just really dislike watching them myself.  Haruhi made me cringe, as did Tamaki and Honey.  Mori didn't have any lines in the few scenes I watched.  Kyouya was a hit initially, but then the more he spoke the less I liked it.  I thought the twins were pretty decent though.  Definitely not going to be putting aside my purism for this series, that's for sure. ^_-

Board footer