This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-06-2015 12:12:34 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Utena Novel 2: Midori no Omoi

Chapter 6: The Dueling Arena Forest

At the same moment, Utena was looking at a rather unusual object sitting on her desk. It was a cute barette, in the shape of a leaf. Obviously, it wasn't hers.

"Hey, Anthy. Is this yours?"

Anthy looked over from where she was playing with Chu-Chu by the side of the bed.

"Look. This hairclip on the desk. Anthy, did you bring it?"

"Oh, that? Yes, Saionji-sempai gave it to me two days ago."

(This is from... Saionji...?)

Utena tried to imagine the expression he had while buying something this cute. The thought of it made her laugh.

"Man, that guy just won't give up. I guess he's really into you, huh?" she asked, with a  gentle smile.

Originally, Utena had hated Saionji's efforts to woo Anthy, but she was starting to come around. Maybe he also didn't just see her as the Rose Bride � maybe he thought of her as an actual girl, after all.

(When you think about it, you've gotta feel sorry for him. For the girl he likes to be the Rose Bride, of all things...)

She glanced over at Anthy. But Anthy wasn't showing any strong emotion � she was just playing with Chu-Chu as usual.

"So, this hair clip. Have you tried it on?"

"Yes, this evening. But..."

"But?"

"I'll stop if you tell me to, of course."

"No, I wouldn't tell you to do that," Utena said, flustered. "I don't wanna give you orders. And I mean, this was a present from Saionji, right?"

As she spoke, she opened their western-style dresser. It was already close to midnight, but Utena had just gotten back home. She was still in her school uniform.

After Wakaba had turned her down in the classroom, Utena had gone into town alone. She didn't really have anywhere in particular to be. She'd just wanted to walk while thinking some stuff over. She didn't even think about where she was going. She'd ended up losing track of time, and it was almost 11 o'clock by the time she returned.

"Huh?" Utena asked in confusion, as she was putting away her clothes. "Isn't one of my uniforms missing?"

Utena had her uniforms specially ordered. Since she moved around a lot, and her uniforms often tore or got dirty, she kept three sets on hand. But now...

(I'm sure there were two of them were here this morning...)

There was only one uniform left in the dresser. Counting the one she was still wearing, that made two, total.

"Hey, Anthy. Do you know what happened to my..." Utena began to ask. She was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"Geez, who's here at this hour?" Utena turned to Anthy, but she simply tilted her head slightly. "Well, if they're ringing the doorbell, I guess it's not a thief or anything."

Refastening the uniform that she'd been about to take off, Utena left the room. Anthy followed after her, Chu-Chu riding on her shoulder.

The front door was at the bottom of the main staircase, a little ways from Utena's room.

(At times like this, it's pretty annoying that we're the only ones living in this building...) Back in the South Dorm, they'd taken turns being on call to meet visitors at the door.

Then again, the East Hall received very few visitors. Even during the day it was hard to spot the doorbell under all the ivy. At night, forget about it.

So Utena had no idea who could be at the front door. Hardly anybody came there in the first place. Not including herself and Anthy, she could count the number of people she'd seen there on one hand.

(Who is it? Could it be that Touga guy...?) Utena sort of jogged down the stairs to the front door, and opened it.

But the visitor wasn't Touga.

"Miki-kun... and Arisugawa-sempai!" Miki and Juri stood there. Perhaps they had ran; they seemed to be breathing heavily.

"Why are you here at this time of night? Has there been an accident or..."

"Utena-san, we're the ones who should be asking you. What are you doing here right now?" Miki shot back.

"Uh, I live here...?"

"That's not what we mean," Juri said, flatly. "Miki and I just caught sight of you in the Dueling Arena Forest."

"The Dueling Arena Forest? What are you talking about? I've been here at the East Hall for a while now. Right, Anthy?"

"Yes. Utena-sama has been here with me," Anthy responded, as Utena looked to her for support.

"See? What do you say to that?"

"But I thought you were the only one who wears that uniform."

"Uniform...?"

The uniform that had disappeared from her dresser.

Someone wearing that same uniform.

Suddenly it clicked it Utena's mind.

"Miki-kun. Can you show me exactly where you caught sight of this person?"

A little earlier.

Wakaba stood before the fountain in the Dueling Arena Forest. As the message had instructed, she was dressed in Utena's uniform, and wearing a wig modeled after her hair.

(Utena must know something about all this after all...) Wakaba thought.

She felt uncomfortable; Utena's clothes were a little big on her. (Is wearing these clothes going to let me learn some secret? Like, there's something that someone would only tell to Utena, or something...?)

(Whatever it is, Utena is already caught up in it. With this Rose Bride stuff... with Anthy....)

(Ohtori Academy, the Student Council, and Himemiya Anthy... I don't know much about them, but I do know they're super suspicious.)

(Why did Saionji-sama tell me not to get involved with the Rose Bride? What is she... what is Anthy...?)

The wind was cold. Utena's uniform covered more skin than her usual school clothes, but even so, it was getting towards midnight, and Wakaba was chilled.

(I didn't know there was a place like this in the middle of the forest.) Wakaba looked up at the fountain, which was bathed in moonlight. The water wasn't running right now, so it looked more like a large, ornate water basin.

(I feel like I caught a glimpse of something here when I rode on that horse with Saionji-san. So it's a fountain, huh?)

Unbeknownst to Wakaba, the fountain was the entrance to the Dueling Arena � a large gate would open at the hand of anyone wearing a Rose Signet. To Duelists, then, the fountain's function was to mark the entrance to the Arena. It could be that it also served to purify their bodies as they entered.

Wakaba didn't know any of that. To her, it was just an old, neglected-looking fountain.

(So... now what?)

Wakaba was starting to regret not bringing a watch. It seemed like she'd been waiting there for a long time. But maybe it just felt long, because of the cold and loneliness of waiting in the forest at night, alone.

(Was this some kind of prank...?) Wakaba thought, starting to doubt the contents of the letter.

PICTURE: "Utena"

"Tenjou Utena?" a voice came, out of the darkness.

It was a voice that Wakaba knew well.

She'd heard it many times in her dreams.

One that had warned her away from the Rose Bride, and praised her homemade lunch.

The shadowy figure slowly drew closer, from within the forest.

(No way. It can't be... him?)

The figure emerged from the forest, and stepped into the moonlight. In their hand was some kind of long object. They stepped into sight, emerging as if in answer to Wakaba's prayers.

"Just so you know, I was going to challenge you to a duel myself."

The moonlight figure was Wakaba's prince � Saionji Kyouichi.

Just as he'd told Touga, he had intended to challenge Utena to a duel tonight. However, he'd been beaten to the punch � he had received a card from Utena, first. It had read "Wait at the Dueling Arena, tonight." Rather brief for a letter of challenge, honestly.

Thus, he'd come here, to the Dueling Arena Forest, to duel with Tenjou Utena.

In order to vindicate himself, he'd practiced heavily for the last month. He'd only met Anthy once per week, and almost all of his time had been spent in intense, ascetic training.

And so...

(There's no way I'll lose...") he thought. He'd won against Touga. Therefore, there was no reason to think he'd lost to Tenjou Utena. His original loss to her had been an accident; his month of training had been to completely remove that any chance of another.

(I will surely win this time. And Anthy will return to me...)

Saionji was confident in his triumph. Typically, he hadn't considered the possibility that Utena had become stronger, as well.

(I will obtain the Power to Revolutionize the World. Touga... you can't beat me as you are now. You've changed since you received the Rose Signet.)

(Calling me his "dearest friend..." Back then, you would never have called me that. It would have simply been understood, without us saying anything. What need is there to put such things into words?)

(And that's why I'm not your "dearest friend" any longer.)

(So, Touga. I'll open your eyes for you.)

Saionji gripped the katana in his hand more tightly.

His opponent, Tenjou Utena, stood before him, silhouetted in the moonlight. She looked somehow smaller than usual.

(A true master will always appear imposing in the sight of others... I suppose this is the reverse?) Saionji mused, attributing it to his own confidence. He didn't doubt Wakaba's disguise in the slightest.

(Strange... Anthy isn't here.) The moonlight reealed only one figure: Tenjou Utena. The Rose Bride was supposed to be present as a witness to the duel, but he didn't see her anywhere.

(Perhaps she's gone ahead to the arena?) he thought, but really, what reason would Utena have to wait here by herself? And if that was so, where had she gotten the Sword of Dios that she was holding...?

It was foolish to attempt to infer such things, so Saionji asked Utena directly.

"Hey, Tenjou. What's with Anthy?"

"Hey, Tenjou. What's with Anthy?" Saionji asked, having emerged from the forest.

Anthy � that's why Wakaba was here, herself. She thought back to the words on the card she'd received.

(Oh no. I can't let him find out I'm actually Wakaba...!)

Desperately setting aside her painful memories, Wakaba adjusted her posture. She tried to stand a little bit more like Utena.

(The secret of the Rose Bride... of Himemiya Anthy... maybe I'll learn it now.)

Wakaba silently drew her sword. That's what the letter had told her to do � and that if she did, she would learn the secrets she sought...

Utena didn't speak, but drew her sword.

(What? Surely she doesn't intend to have the duel here...?)

Anthy wasn't present, and the place wasn't appointed Dueling Arena... it was very suspicious. Nevertheless, Saionji drew his sword as well. Tossing the scabbard to the swide, he took the kendo gedan, low position.

(There are no roses to aim for on each others' chests. How on earth are we supposed to duel?)

There was only one rule in the duels. Whoever lost their rose first, lost. They were wearing no such things.

Which meant...

(So... we need to force the other to surrender, then.)

With no rules in place, they would have no option but to attack each other directly. Such a duel could only end when one of them conceded... or fell. It might get gruesome.

(Hmmph... interesting. Perhaps this is why Anthy isn't present.) Saionji didn't even flinch.  On the contrary, he grinned with glee as he realized what Utena intended.

(I had intended to make her grovel before Anthy's eyes... but oh, well. I don't want her to see this kind of bloody duel.)

He gripped his katana in his hand, and slowly, began to close the gap between them. He kept his stance firm � whenever Tenjou Utena wanted to come at him was fine with him.

(What should I do?) Wakaba wondered, bewildered.

She'd followed the letter's instructions faithfully so far, but the situation didn't really seem to have improved. According to the letter, if she stayed quiet and drew her sword, she'd learn the secret of the Rose Bride.

(So... do I keep going? Nothing has really happened yet. And Saionji-san hasn't told me anything, either.)

(What should I do? At this rate...)

Saionji loomed closer in her field of vision.

(Stop!)

The sight of Saionji suddenly made Wakaba feel very uneasy.

(I should just ask him directly. Not keep quiet and try to fool him, but just ask him, straightforwardly, in person.)

(If I do that, I'm sure he'll...)

Wakaba lowered the sword she was holding. She was trying to show that she didn't intend to fight.

Tenjou Utena's sword dropped into gedan position. The sudden movement looked amazingly smooth and natural.

(Here she comes!) Saionji thought, misinterpreting it as the start of an attack.

This was his chance.

Saionji lunged forward, thrusting upward with his sword.

Lowering her sword, Wakaba was about to say something to Saionji. Instead, she gasped. Saionji lunged at her with savage speed. There was no time for words � neither for her to speak, or for him to hear.

(�!)

In an instant, Wakaba was pierced by Saionji's sword.

(Why...?)

Strangely, she didn't feel any pain.

(Why...?)

Looking down, she saw the sword emerging from her stomach. A red liquid was slowly dripping down it. She admired the color for an instant, before it hit home that it was her own blood.

(Why...?)

The strength left her legs. She slowly slumped down to her knees, leaning forward on to Saionji's chest.

(Why...?)

(Why...?)

(Why...?)

The word filled her thoughts. But in the end, she wasn't able to speak it aloud.

(Why on earth...)

Tenjou Utena had made no move to evade his sword.

Due to his long training with the sword, he had reacted almost automatically. But he'd never even imagined that he would win the battle with one strike.

(What the hell did she think she was doing...?)

Blood slowly dripped down his sword. For a moment Saionji imagined that it was staged; some sort of trick.

The strength slowly left Utena's knees. She dropped to them, leaning forward onto Saionji's chest.

At that moment, her hair fell off.

(�!)

First it tilted, then slowly slipped and dropped down to the ground.

Under the wig, the girl dressed as Tenjou Utena wasn't Utena at all...

When Utena reached the fountain below the Dueling Arena, she was met with an almost unbelievable sight.

Saionji was there.

His sword was covered with thick, red blood. Utena's gut instinct was that it was human blood.

In his arms, he was holding a girl dressed as her. The moonlight revealed her face to be...

"Wakaba!"

Utena immediately broke into a sprint.

"Wakaba!!" Utena cried out her best friend's name  as she ran. But Wakaba made no reply. Her eyes were closed � she was limp and unmoving.

(Dead!?)

The horrible thought sprang into Utena's mind; she tried desperately to dismiss it.

"Saionji, what the hell did you do!?" she screamed, accusingly.

Saionji didn't respond to the question. Surely it was because he was the one who'd wounded her.

"Answer me, Saionji! Did you do something to Wakaba!?"
Utena's voice was hoarse, as tears began to fill her eyes.

Recently, she hadn't been paying much attention to Wakaba. She hadn't even noticed that something was going on in her life.

Now, those regrets slammed into Utena like a wave of emotion.

(This is all my fault... I was too caught up in Touga's words. I was only thinking of myself, not of Wakaba...)

(How... how could this happen?)

Utena's mind was in turmoil. Her dearest friend, Wakaba, was on the ground. Wearing Utena's own school uniform. A uniform which was covered in red, sticky blood. Blood which stained the sword of the boy who stood in front of her.

Anger.

Despair.

Regret.

Shock.

Suspicion.

As all these emotions tore through Utena's heart, she was focused on only one question.

"Answer me, Saionji!" she shouted again.

Slowly, Saionji nodded his head.

(�!) For a moment, Utena was speechless. Then she burst out, in rage,

"Duel! Duel me, Saionji!"

Strangely, they were the same words she'd said the first time she'd challenged him.

"I'll never forgive you. Never!"

Utena's heart was overflowing. The was gripped by the urge to smash everything.

"O, noble castle... Power of Dios that sleeps within me..."

In response to the power of Anthy's words, the hilt of a sword sprang from her breast.

"Heed your master, and reveal..."

Utena took the hilt that emerged, and drew it forth.

The Sword of Dios. A miraculous sword, said to contain the Power of Dios.

"The power to revolutionize the world!" Utena cried, as she brandished the sword, and ferociously dashed towards Saionji.

While climbing the stairs to the arena, and while the dueling rose was being placed on her chest, Utena had been nursing the same feeling.

(This is vengeance for Wakaba...!)

Although that thought filled her heart, she'd managed to be patient.

Wakaba had been rushed off to the hospital by Juri and Miki. There was nothing more Utena could do to help, except pray. All she could do for Wakaba was to duel, here, now, in the arena � at least, that's what Utena was thinking, just then.

Like a wild tiger let loose from its cage, Utena charged at Saionji. With all her might, she struck out with the Sword of Dios.

However, her attack was too direct. Saionji easily parried it.

�You're too easy, Tenjou Utena.�

�Shut up! You... Wakaba...� Utena came at him again.

However, Saionji deflected, or evaded, all of her blows. Carried away with emotion, her attacks were too monotonous.

But she didn't stop. Like a crying child in a fight, she put all her strength into her blade.

(This is for Wakaba...!)

(For Wakaba...!)

(For Wakaba...!)

That one thought filled Utena's head.

But her body couldn't keep up for long. At the rate she'd been swinging her sword, fatigue set in quickly. All too soon, the strength began to leave her sword.

And Saionji was not an opponent who would miss that fact.

Saionji began to batter Utena's sword, returning the offensive. The heavy blows came down at her, one after another. Utena couldn't parry them; she had to fall back.

The tide had completely turned.

�What's wrong, Tenjou Utena? Looks like you're cornered.�

Utena, retreating, was quickly drawing near the edge of the arena. It was fenced with a small wall, but it only came up to about Utena's knees. Furthermore, here and there, it had crumbled away. One false step beyond the edge, and in an instant, one would plummet down to the foot of the arena.

There was no way of knowing exactly how high the Dueling Arena was, but judging from how long it took to walk up the stairs, a fall would mean certain death.

Utena took a fleeting glance behind her.

Saionji didn't let the opportunity go to waste.

A diagonal downward slash, turning into a thrust. Anybody would find it difficult to respond to effectively. At the moment, Tenjou Utena certainly couldn't.

Saionji's sword flashed towards Utena's rose, like it was being sucked in.

Somehow, Utena attempted to throw herself out of the way of the blow. However...

At her left breast...

Saionji's katana pierced the side of her chest without a rose pinned to it � the location of the human heart.

(No...!)

In shock, Utena collapsed backwards, onto the ground.

(I've won!) Saionji thought, seeing Utena fall. He clenched his fist.

At last, he'd had his revenge. He had kept his pride, and the Rose Bride � Himemiya Anthy � would return to him.

And yet, he didn't feel the sense of exaltation that he'd expected. He felt only shame.

(Why...?)

He'd been training a month for this victory. It had been all he'd been able to think about. And yet, his heart still felt clouded.

(Why...?) Saionji asked himself, as he stared at the fallen Utena. (I won. I won against Tenjou Utena.) He repeated it to himself, but it failed to lift his spirits. On the contrary � the sight of her uniform called to mind the silhouette of another girl dressed that way...

(Don't be foolish. That wasn't my fault. If that girl hadn't put on that charade...)

But as if to refute his words, his thoughts kept going back to Wakaba.

When she'd slapped him across the face.

The two of them at the arcade.

Her octopus-shaped wieners.

The present they'd bought, bickering all the while.

(Wanting me to buy toothpaste... what a strange girl.) Saionji smiled slightly. A kind smile, which didn't suit the environs of the Dueling Arena...

As if responding to that smile, the fallen Utena moved.

(What�?) Saionji doubted his own eyes. But Utena was certainly moving. Right in his view, she was slowly, but surely, lifting herself up.

(It should be over� surely�)

(I won�)

(There�s no way she should be able to stand up. Impossible�)

But despite his protests, somewhere in his heart, he was relieved to see it.

(I�m alive�?)

That was Utena�s first, simple thought as she opened her eyes, after having been stabbed in the left side of her chest.

Saionji stood before her. They were in the Dueling Arena. Across from them stood Anthy, in her red dress.

(Well, it doesn�t seem like a dream�)

She slid her gaze down to her chest, where Saionji was supposed to have stabbed here. Sure enough, her shirt was cut there. But underneath was a shining white object.

(This is�!)

It was the white, shell-shaped compact: the one that Wakaba had bought her, to match hers.

(Wakaba�) Utena�s heart blazed. (Thank you, Wakaba. You helped me out again.)

(It�s alright. Everything�s going to be alright.)

Utena took the Sword of Dios in hand, and stood. Her eyes were calm again.

�Hmph. To survive that, you have the luck of fools.�

Even Saionji�s scorn didn�t break Utena�s calm. She just coldly lifted her sword.

�Let�s go,� was all she said.

As she did, the castle hanging overhead began to shine. The light was coming from a person � it looked like a young man, descending directly down towards Utena. The boy, who somewhat resembled Anthy, seemed to melt into Utena.

(This power� again. And this scent�)

As Utena was herself enveloped by the scent of roses, she felt filled with power�

She sprang forward. Her movements were so sharp, they defied description. In an instant, she had closed the considerable distance between her and Saionji, her sword going for the rose on his chest. She seemed like a completely different person than she�d been just a short time before.

(This attack�!)

This was how it had gone the first time Saionji had lost, as well. After the castle had begun to shine, a single attack � this sharp thrust, which seemed to come from an entirely different person - had scattered his rose.

This was what he�d feared in this repeat match � this explosive, instantaneous force of Tenjou Utena�s will.

(However�)

Obviously, he had prepared for this. His special training over the last month had been so that he could match Utena�s thrust, at this exact moment.

He responded superbly.

As Utena�s sword stretched out towards him from across the short distance, his own sword leapt up to protect his rose. This was why he�d switched from [b]joudan[/i] to gedan.

The Sword of Dios met Saionji�s katana with a clash of metal.

(Yes � I parried it!)

So far, so good. This was proceeding exactly as he�d envisioned it during training.

But he hadn�t parried it at all.

Saionji�s katana went rebounding back, torn from his hands by the force of Utena�s blow.

(Impossible�!?)

The power was shocking. To think that Utena�s attack had enough force and weight behind it to deflect his own tachi katana�!

Staggered by the attack, Saionji lost his balance and fell backwards onto his rear.

Utena�s next attack cut straight down from an overhead, jodan stance.

There was no way for him to evade it.

And he wasn�t holding his sword.

Quickly, Saionji drew out the item he kept in his front jacket pocket:

The silver fountain pen. The one that he and Touga had been awarded upon their graduation from middle school.

(It should be easy to block a direct downward stroke�)

Saionji held up the pen to intercept the plummeting Sword of Dios.

Perhaps the same miracle could happen twice.

As he fell, despite losing control of his body, Saionji managed to draw out something that sparkled like silver.

Still, Utena didn�t hesitate. She brought her sword down.

It was a light attack. But it was enough to cleanly bisect the fountain pen, raised to ward off the attack, and to scatter Saionji�s rose.

(I won�! I won, Wakaba.)

From somewhere, loud bells began to clamor. They seemed to be celebrating Utena and Anthy� and to be lamenting for Saionji.

Wakaba�s compact had saved Utena. But Saionji�s fountain pen, the twin of Touga�s, hadn�t been able to help him.

That�s just how it was.

Utena was the victor of the duel.

The Rose Bride was still Tenjou Utena�s, and Saionji remained a loser.

But for a loser, Saionji�s expression seemed strangely happy.

Last edited by Dallbun (09-11-2016 05:18:29 PM)

#27 | Back to Top06-06-2015 12:13:17 PM

Dallbun

Epilogue

The nurses’ rubber-bottomed shoes made squeaking sounds as they walked on the white linoleum floor. Everyone sitting in the waiting room was quiet, listening to the occasional announcement over the loudspeaker calling for a certain patient.

Utena glanced over those people as she headed up the stairs.

After Juri and Miki had brought her to the hospital, Wakaba had somehow managed to pull through. She’d need to rest for about a month, but they doctors said she should make a complete recovery.

Utena went straight to room 301 and opened the door, on which Shinohara Wakaba’s name was written.

The room was so white might appear sterile. The only splash of color was the get-well flowers on the desk. Utena had brought them yesterday.

Wakaba lay on a bed in the middle of the room.

“Good morning, Utena,” she greeted her, sleepily.

“It’s not morning, Wakaba. I just got out of class.”

“Gah, seriously? Man, being hospitalized sure is boring. I just doze all day.” Wakaba laughed. But her smile was a little forced.

“By the way, they served pilaf in the cafeteria today, and it didn’t have any green peas. I’ll bet a lot of people thought the same as you,” Utena said, lightly. She just wanted to make Wakaba smile a little.

Both Wakaba and Utena knew what was happening. They were each putting on a performance, because they were worried about the other. And by doing so, they were just hurting the other…

Still, neither of them could stop. Even if it was just a front, to stop smiling would have been unbearable.

“I’ve got some fruit on that someone gave me as a gift. Want to eat some together?” Wakaba pointed to the small desk where the flowers were. There was a small pile of other gifts as well, such as fruit and books.

“Oh, sure. Which one do you want?”

“Hmmm… I guess I’ll have a pear? I think there should be a knife around here somewhere, too.”

“Okay. I’ll take a look.” Utena looked through the basket and under the books, but she didn’t turn up a knife.

She did find something strange instead:

A tube of toothpaste.

Obviously, that wasn’t an uncommon item by itself. But this tube of toothpaste was wrapped in a cute pink bow.

“Hey, Wakaba. What’s with this toothpaste?”

“Toothpaste?”

“Yeah, this one.” Utena held it up so Wakaba could see it.

“…!” Wakaba’s eyes widened. “He remembered…”

“What is it, Wakaba?” Utena asked anxiously, as Wakaba’s surprised face slowly filled with tears.

“No, it’s nothing.”

“But…”

“It’s okay. It’s really… okay…”

Utena fell silent, as Wakaba burst into tears.

“So Saionji’s has dropped out of school…” Juri murmured. It was after her morning practice with Miki.

“Well, there’s no helping it. He stabbed a female student with a real sword,” Miki said, as Juri sipped from a sports drink. “If things had gone worse, it would have been a matter for the police. He was only allowed to leave voluntarily because Touga-sempai pulled strings for him.”

“Touga…” Juri’s voice trailed off.

Certainly, she had put forth a motion that Saionji be expelled. In that sense, her wish had been fulfilled… but she found it hard to feel satisfied.

(Maybe I’m over-thinking it…)

PICTURE: Juri and Miki (missing from the gallery)

Juri felt that there were some parts of this incident that didn’t make sense. And although she had no particular reason to think so, some instinct inside her told her that she needed to take it as a warning...

“Still, it’s strange,” Miki continued, unaware of Juri’s misgivings. “I mean, who was she going to go meet in the forest that's off-limits to everyone but Student Council members? And in the dead of night, too.”

“It’s been settled – Saionji Kyouichi will be allowed to ‘withdraw’ from school. Is that acceptable?”

A voice spoke from the phone - a deep, sweet voice that sent shivers down the spine.

“Yes – thank you very much.”

“By the way, what about that girl who’s close to the One Engaged?”

“It was just a flesh wound. She’ll be fine.” Touga responded. He didn’t sound the slightest bit ashamed. “That Saionji… who knew he was so timid? At the last moment, he missed the vital organs.”

“And now what? If you’re trying to drive her away from the One Engaged…”

“No. That girl was merely bait to drive Saionji out of school. I did consider separating them, but there’s no harm in letting her stay.”

Touga twirled his silver fountain pen in his hand. The one with the school emblem on it.

“I see. And what will become of our vice-president?”

“I don’t know. He’s free to do whatever he likes.”

“What a cruel man. Isn’t the vice-president your dearest friend?”

“Don't be ridiculous.” Touga laughed softly, took aim, and flung the silver fountain pen across the room. It twirled through the air, and landed squarely in the trash. “Anyone who believes in friendship is a fool.”

#28 | Back to Top06-06-2015 12:15:00 PM

Dallbun

Afterword

Thank you for buying “Revolutionary Girl Utena 2: Verdant Hopes.”

As predicted in the previous volume, this volume tells the story of Saionji. What did you think?

What? This was Wakaba's story, you say?

No, no. That's not right.

This was Saionji's story. Definitely.

Probably.

...Maybe.

...hmm.

Afterword (Take 2)

Thank you for buying “Revolutionary Girl Utena 2: Verdant Hopes.”

Just like the last volume was about Miki and Kozue, this one is Saionji and Wakaba's story. What did you think?

No, originally I intended it to be just about Saionji, but as I started writing it, Wakaba gradually got cuter and cuter (although I still gave her quite a hard time), until she became this active in the story.

Wakaba doesn’t do all that much in either the manga in the anime, so I thought it would be good to at least spotlight her in the novel. In the strange world of Ohtori Academy, she’s probably the most ordinary person, so she’s easy to write about.

Incidentally, in the last novel, Kozue was more popular among readers than Utena. Maybe the supporting actors are growing in strength…

Speaking of reader response, as I suspected, a certain scene in the last book drew a lot of attention. From reading fan letters, hearing comments from friends and acquaintances, and searching on the internet… it seems the thing that really left an impression was page 147 (laugh). It was almost like I could hear the readers’ gasps and anguished cries… it was a lot of fun.

The reviews of the billiards scenes were also unexpectedly good. Everyone said they liked them, but that they also seemed kind of mysterious. It’s good to see Juri and Touga together, since they don’t generally interact much.

By the way, Utena never fulfilled her promise to buy Chu-Chu a new necktie. In all the commotion around the duel, she completely forgot. Poor Chu-Chu.

Of course, since in the novels, Chu-Chu is just an ordinary (or not?) monkey, he probably didn’t even notice, but just kept on playing with Anthy.

But if that’s the case, how on earth did Utena lose to him in cards…? (laugh)

Finally, I’d like to once again thank my wonderful illustrator, Chiho Sait-sano. And my apologies to the project director, Kotou-san, for making him work so close to New Year’s.

Thank you to everyone who sent letters in response to the first volume. I even got letters sealed with the Rose Signet, and letters with pictures inside. I enjoyed reading all of them. By all means, please send more.

NOTES:
Page 147: That page of the first novel is, of course, this illustration.

Last edited by Dallbun (06-08-2015 07:55:57 PM)

#29 | Back to Top06-06-2015 10:36:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh my GOD I love you and I literally squealed in the middle of the "Guru Nanak Dev Healing Garden."

Oh yes. I have been healed.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top06-07-2015 02:09:44 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My god, it's full of stars emot-aaa

Dallbun, you are so amazing. Thank you so much. etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#31 | Back to Top06-08-2015 01:34:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

By the way, if it's okay with you, can I format these to pdf/epub/mobi? emot-biggrin You know, then shamelessly plaster them all over the place.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#32 | Back to Top06-08-2015 07:59:20 AM

Dallbun

You're welcome! Sorry for the long, long delay. I still have almost no time for translating, but I made some time, sat down, and hammered out the rest of the book. Hope you two and others enjoy; I'm looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this book, and the two light novels as a unit.

Because sadly, there are no more light novels. The fans will never learn the answer to the central question of the books: is Touga really Utena's prince? emot-rolleyes

As for e-book files... honestly both translations could use another pass to make them read more smoothly, but I don't think I'll be able to do that. So sure, go for it - "perfect is the enemy of good" and all that. Or, in this case, the enemy of adequate.

I'd say you should cut the author notes in the intro post and at the end of some chapters; they're not worth keeping. And since I've got you here, Gio - I mentioned it in the text, but looks like the gallery doesn't have the last illustration of the second book.

#33 | Back to Top06-10-2015 03:15:00 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I started work on coding them to EPUB, but I don't know the coding well so it's taking some time. emot-frown

As for a corrective pass, do you mean typos and such? Because I can do that, I just can't correct the Japanese. emot-frown I am working on a few things, it just doesn't show yet. I've scanned like twenty new doujin and I'm starting to compile game stuff too. I would love the novels and the game to have their own sites in Empty Movement. I just don't have the tons of hours of time I used to have for it. Employment sucks.

#34 | Back to Top06-10-2015 06:25:49 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

By the way, if it's okay with you, can I format these to pdf/epub/mobi? emot-biggrin You know, then shamelessly plaster them all over the place.

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Just started taking a look through these today and they sound great! Nice to get inside their heads, even if unofficially.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#35 | Back to Top06-10-2015 08:12:17 AM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

As for a corrective pass, do you mean typos and such? Because I can do that, I just can't correct the Japanese. emot-frown

Partially, yes - there are definitely some typos and stuff that need to be weeded out. But I was also thinking about some of the parts that scream "this was translated from Japanese!" most egregiously. In some cases, things could be rephrased to sound more natural in English. But as long as it's clear and pleasant enough to read, I guess we can run with it.

Thanks for your efforts!

#36 | Back to Top06-22-2015 12:26:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

"Well, I just thought it was strange, since I heard that you don't really like girls..."

"Who told you that!?"

"Um, who...? Well, like, they say you just throw out all the love letters you get." Saying that out loud stung Wakaba's heart.

"A feminine presence is a disruption to the dedicated pursuit of swordsmanship. Besides..."

"Besides...?"

"If I read them, then I would have to write responses. It would be rude not to."

Oh my goodness, this is cutest thing ever and is now my accepted headcanon for the anime.

Saionji is so overwhelmed with love letter and feels really guilty/annoyed with himself for not answering the ones he reads so he finally starts throwing them away to escape the problem. Can you just imagine some throw-away line from Touga finally convincing him this is the best option though Touga didn't actually mean it that way? XD etc-saiowank

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#37 | Back to Top06-23-2015 12:46:21 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh my god, that's adorable. etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#38 | Back to Top08-06-2015 03:57:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just starting coding this one, sorry for the delay. emot-frown

Dallbun: Weird, I can't find another picture of Juri and Miki. Those were donated to me, so I guess I never got it? Also, I have them sequenced by appearance, which means there should be this guy somewhere after that shot of Utena alone at a distance, right?

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/thumbs/Novels/UtenaNovel02_13.png?m=1380883690

I might be missing it because I'm stupid or something, I don't see it noted?

Also

"A feminine presence is a disruption to the dedicated pursuit of swordsmanship. Besides..."

:facepalm:

"If I read them, then I would have to write responses. It would be rude not to."

:faceplant:

Welp, can't argue with that logic. How can he be so adorable and still so deserving of a slap in the face?

#39 | Back to Top08-06-2015 05:55:16 PM

Dallbun

Thanks for your efforts, Gio!

You're right, I forgot to put that picture in. Unfortunately, I finished that translation just before moving to Taiwan, so I don't have access to my copy of the novel to check where it was. I assume it goes somewhere near Utena's Power of Dios attack.

Incidentally, since each picture takes up an entire page and isn't attached to a specific line, I just inserted the picture links at spots that seemed appropriate. Feel free to shuffle them around if you want.

Obviously, since I don't have my books, I also can't get you a copy of the Juri-Miki picture any time soon, I'm afraid. I could if you wanted to wait to release for 6+ months, but that's probably not worth it. Or does anyone else have a copy?

#40 | Back to Top08-06-2015 08:58:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Well for now I'll just put them together without it, and whenever you get a chance, you can send it over and I'll add it if you get around to it. emot-smile

I'll insert the Saionji one where it makes sense. etc-saiowank

#41 | Back to Top08-09-2015 12:44:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It looks like the one with Touga and Utena on the horse wasn't placed in your text either, but I put it where it made sense.

It's been a challenge trying not to read this in fits and starts while coding, I wanna do it all at once. But omfg seriously Saionji. etc-saiowank

His credit card bill is probably epic. Five or six very innocuous but unspecific companies billing 14.99/mo, a dozen Steam transactions, and a metric ton of snobby Japanese tea. emot-rolleyes

#42 | Back to Top08-09-2015 02:13:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Woot woot! Both are coded to html now. Yasha's gonna do the editing right away. I put the translations in that character page for the first book. Thanks again hun. etc-love

#43 | Back to Top08-09-2015 02:26:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just realized it, but uh...Touga...really, in a public place??? She doesn't even know how to give a regular handjob, nevermind a stealth one. emot-aaa

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Novels/UtenaNovel01_11.png?m=1380883064

#44 | Back to Top08-09-2015 04:20:17 PM

Dallbun

Right to left, although that order doesn't really work at all. Maybe you should just change it to Utena & co, then Student Council in both books.

Cast Page wrote:

Arisugawa Juri: The sole female member of the Student Council. Captain of the Fencing Club.

Shinohara Wakaba: Utena's best friend, in love with Saionji.

Kaoru Miki: A member of the Student Council. A boy genius.

Kiryuu Touga: President of the Student Council, and a star at both academics and athletics. Is Utena falling in love with him!?

Tenjou Utena: To meet her beloved prince, she enrolled in Ohtori Academy. But she's ended up fighting the other Duelists...

Saionji Kyouichi: Student Council vice president, and captain of the Kendo Club. Pining after Anthy.

Chu-Chu: Anthy's friend.

Himemiya Anthy: The Rose Bride. She becomes engaged to whichever Rose Seal-bearing Duelist is victorious.

#45 | Back to Top08-23-2015 12:14:18 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

BTW I am totally using this as an excuse to get in my Juri/not red or purple quota for website layouts.

....More or less. It's not a Touga layout if the colors are hers right right right?

Edit: I have a problem.

#46 | Back to Top01-19-2016 11:23:44 AM

Sailor Mademoiselle
New Student

Dallbun
I wish to tell you thanks so much for translating these books!
I feel like I wasn't even much of a fan as I didn't even know they existed emot-mad

The books themselves were so deliciously trashy. etc-love
My favorite bit is how Saionji tried to block the sword of Dios with his pen, hoping it'll work because it worked for Utena.
Also it's cute how the writer can't decide whether it's more anime or manga - in the first book they write a paragraph on how Anthy's rose bride dress being white makes it look like a girl version of the StuCon uniform. But in the second book same writer comes out of their way to mention the dress's actually red now - there's something inexplainably cute about this backtracking etc-love

月の光は愛のメッセージ

#47 | Back to Top02-11-2016 09:56:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm working on coding them into epubs, and got to where the letter from EotW is written out.

For some reason it just seems very appropriate that Akio writes in all caps.

I mean, he is trolling.

#48 | Back to Top02-12-2016 12:44:03 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Behold, I have lovingly rendered Touga as presented in the second novel.

http://i.imgur.com/3poAnks.gif

#49 | Back to Top02-12-2016 01:21:46 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Giovanna wrote:

I'll insert the Saionji one where it makes sense. etc-saiowank

Saionji never makes sense D:<

#50 | Back to Top10-24-2016 05:33:50 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I FINISHED THEM I FINISHED THEM MY EYEBALLS ARE SORE, MY HEAD HURTS, AND I'M READY TO SET MY KOBO ON FIRE

THANKS TO LADY GAGA FOR THE EXCUSE TO WORK ON THE SITE

NO THANKS TO YOU STAR TREK

Me for the next several hours:

http://i.imgur.com/ctue7VI.jpg

[no seriously i have a problem, i'm literally making the saurian brandy prop]

Board footer