This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-12-2007 09:52:07 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

SKU Dub

Okay, since many people has posted clips of fandubs, i suggest to recollect all the fandubs here, not only en english but in many languages.

In Spain, Utena was dubbed in catalan by K3 channel (Barcelona). I uploaded a little bit just for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4FEWep_Lc
Here, Nanami, Juri and Miki. Miki's voice is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGl6mejfs4
Mikage: You're such a stupid brat, Tokiko.
Wow, translation problem, or maybe is that spanish is much more rude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjzHr3fJSU
Mamiya talking about eternity with Nemuro.

I have more episodes, but i don't know why i'm not able to cut them (the screen turns green). If you have any request, i will do my best, but i really dislike this dub.
For people who doesn't know, catalan is a language (in my opinion, sub language) between spanish and french, spoken in the north of Spain and south of France.

#2 | Back to Top03-12-2007 10:06:08 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Re: SKU Dub

Epi_lepsia wrote:

WTF?

You're right, Miki's voice is horrid. Mamiya, too. @__@ The rest aren't half bad, though. Even though they pronounce the names funny.

Do you have any clips with Anthy and/or Akio in them?

#3 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:06:43 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

No Anthy, but i have Wakaba and the shadow girls! 8D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ALm1d-ebU
Super amiga Wakaba ;D

Here, Akio speaking with Nemuro. It's the only episode that i can cut emot-frown i will re-download other episodes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFIkzFUiLFk

#4 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:25:29 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Thanks! God, that Wakaba is godly. The part where she jumps Utena and they go "AAHHHHHHHHH" is brilliant. XD I like the Shadow Girls, too. Do you have any more parts with them? Sorry for requesting too much things. emot-keke"

#5 | Back to Top03-12-2007 11:40:41 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Yes i do, but the screen turns green everytime i want to cut it. I just can cut the episode 23 (don't know why). I'm re-downloading some episodes and i will upload them soon (Y).

But for keeping your attention, i found this italian fandub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2c_18em1o

#6 | Back to Top03-12-2007 12:54:57 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I could barely understand a single thing they said. emot-frown

What does Shiori sound like?

#7 | Back to Top03-12-2007 01:02:41 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm humbly requesting any Keiko slap scenes in a romance language.

I can't help but think that'd be gold. emot-gonk

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#8 | Back to Top03-12-2007 01:41:20 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Razara wrote:

I could barely understand a single thing they said. emot-frown

Take it easy, is not spanish.

What does Shiori sound like?

I will take that as a request. It will take a little to download this episodes.

Hinotori wrote:

I'm humbly requesting any Keiko slap scenes in a romance language.

I can't help but think that'd be gold. emot-gonk

Okay~

#9 | Back to Top03-13-2007 07:08:00 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

But for keeping your attention, i found this italian fandub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2c_18em1o

Oh my GOD am I rusty to the point of embarrassing. We need Sey up in here.

By the way I have just about the entire series in Catalan and Italian. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top03-13-2007 12:32:17 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Giovanna wrote:

By the way I have just about the entire series in Catalan and Italian. emot-keke

emot-frown and the mexican dub? that horrible horrible dub where Touga is Tommy?

#11 | Back to Top03-13-2007 09:32:31 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I think if we had that, we might have to burn our computers. To purify them.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top03-14-2007 12:38:22 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Epi_lepsia wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4FEWep_Lc
Here, Nanami, Juri and Miki. Miki's voice is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGl6mejfs4
Wow, translation problem, or maybe is that spanish is much more rude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjzHr3fJSU
Mamiya talking about eternity with Nemuro.

Nanami voice sounds like and older person... not a teenage girl...
And Catalan confuses me, there were two parts of the dialogue I could almost swear where spanish... is just weird.
But Mikage's voice is the best one, really fits him

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

emot-frown and the mexican dub? that horrible horrible dub where Touga is Tommy?

The names are incredibly horrible but the dubbing not all that much...  it was really decent, and the actors really were giving their best. (and didn't laugh at the ridiculous renames which is just probably too much.)
Anthy's voice was incredibly adeacuate not as homely as the japanese one but sounded like Anthy should sound in spanish, Nanami's voice really fitted her.
Also remember is not the first time names got changed. Magic Knight Rayeart main protagonist got renamed to: Hikaru: Lucy, Fuu: Anais, Umi: Marina. And Sailor Moon characters too, I don't actually see anybody complaining because Makoto was named Lita, Umino was named kevin, and Naru Molly.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#13 | Back to Top03-14-2007 02:30:42 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Also remember is not the first time names got changed. Magic Knight Rayeart main protagonist got renamed to: Hikaru: Lucy, Fuu: Anais, Umi: Marina. And Sailor Moon characters too, I don't actually see anybody complaining because Makoto was named Lita, Umino was named kevin, and Naru Molly.

See, I never knew about those. I've just never been a fan of changing character names at all. While this is far too strong an opinion for something as silly as name changing, I usually see it as xenophobic retardedness. Heaven forbid that someone should have to hear a name they don't recognize. Oh no! Their tiny world will implode! emot-rolleyes Whatever.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#14 | Back to Top03-14-2007 09:55:52 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

And Catalan confuses me, there were two parts of the dialogue I could almost swear where spanish... is just weird.

That's why the 90% of the spanish spoken hate cataluña. I mean, i'm dying for learning another language and it's really hard, and now they come and they say CATALAN is a own language apart of Spanish? c'mon, i didn't knew about its existence before moving to Spain and i can understand it perfectly. It's really dumb how a person that speaks catalan is bilingual.

#15 | Back to Top03-14-2007 11:20:28 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Miki sounds like...well. What can I say?

Have they not heard of girly boys being voiced by women? emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue You just can't do them any other way!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#16 | Back to Top03-14-2007 03:04:03 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Romanticide wrote:

You didn't hear complaints about Sailor Moon name-changes? I don't know what the Spanish-speaking fandom of SM is like, but the English-speaking SM world was constantly exploding with wank over stuff like that. emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member

#17 | Back to Top03-14-2007 03:24:44 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Yasha wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

See, I never knew about those. I've just never been a fan of changing character names at all. While this is far too strong an opinion for something as silly as name changing, I usually see it as xenophobic retardedness. Heaven forbid that someone should have to hear a name they don't recognize. Oh no! Their tiny world will implode! emot-rolleyes Whatever.

mmm well the names of SM were changed because in the United states were changed, and actually only the main characters and first secondaries got changed, characters of later chapters retained their names.
And MKR was a special case, it was dubbed in Los angeles.
I aren't a fan of changing names either but anime wasn't the same in the nineties as its now, and target public and fandoms were really diferent then.

Frau Eva wrote:

You didn't hear complaints about Sailor Moon name-changes? I don't know what the Spanish-speaking fandom of SM is like, but the English-speaking SM world was constantly exploding with wank over stuff like that. emot-gonk

I was never deeply inmersed into the fandom until late so I don't actually know what the hardcore fans thought. But Sailor Moon was probably one of the first animes to arrive in Mexico without censorship at all, unlike the american version, also had a great dubbing and almost none changes were made to the story(Except changing Zoicite into a woman but that was because... the translator thought he was a woman... honest mistake)

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

That's why the 90% of the spanish spoken hate cataluña. I mean, i'm dying for learning another language and it's really hard, and now they come and they say CATALAN is a own language apart of Spanish? c'mon, i didn't knew about its existence before moving to Spain and i can understand it perfectly. It's really dumb how a person that speaks catalan is bilingual.

Well it is a different language, but since drastic separation hasn't passed between the language hasn't evolved as far as other romance languages.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#18 | Back to Top03-14-2007 04:05:12 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

Well it is a different language, but since drastic separation hasn't passed between the language hasn't evolved as far as other romance languages.

Well, i don't agree with that. Is not really fair to consider bilinguals these people who speaks Catalan, when the only thing that changes is the vocabulary. It's a language with less than 500 own words, the Argentine Spanish changes more than Catalan.

#19 | Back to Top03-14-2007 08:34:01 PM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

Akio sounds sexy in Catalan. etc-wankgirl

I like Utena's rant in Italian. She sounded so passionate.

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

Board footer