This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-25-2011 07:08:31 PM

Priscilla
Saionji Slapper

Why did Juri let Utena borrow her sword?

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/5388-3/Series_ep12_129.jpg

It's possible I just missed something, but this just seems kind of strange to me the more I think about. I think it would make more sense for Miki to let her borrow his, since he seems to have the more friendly relationship with her.

Also:
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/5500-2/Series_ep12_185.jpg

Won't she be mad when she finds out Utena and Touga broke it? emot-tongue

Last edited by Priscilla (03-25-2011 07:19:33 PM)

#2 | Back to Top03-25-2011 09:03:37 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Why did Juri let Utena borrow her sword?

Maybe she felt bad for the way she carried on when they had duelled last time, I cannot think of any other good reasons for her to do so.

#3 | Back to Top03-25-2011 09:08:38 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Maybe she gave it to her because she knew it was a weak sword that would break and cause her to lose?  Probably not, but that's kind of interesting to think about.  Could be that she wanted to test Utena's luck.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-25-2011 09:17:06 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#4 | Back to Top03-25-2011 10:58:13 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

She's not the kind of person to play a trick on Utena.

Maybe she just didn't like Touga. She always seems the grumpiest at the student council meetings.

#5 | Back to Top03-25-2011 11:05:31 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

While being sick of Touga's gloating would be a fine enough reason by itself, I figured that Juri suspected that Utena lost because of her. Juri is, after all, the one who spilled Utena's "prince" story to Touga, thus giving him the psychological ammunition he needed to bluff his way to victory.

#6 | Back to Top03-26-2011 06:50:41 AM

Saio
Ballgoer

Cause she wanted her badly, yep... emot-keke

P.S. Dr. Freud - rocks!

http://s41.radikal.ru/i091/1101/bd/e015af0a91a1.png

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

#7 | Back to Top03-26-2011 09:54:29 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I think she lent Utena the sword because Utena reminded her of Shiori.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#8 | Back to Top03-26-2011 11:05:46 AM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

i thought it was, because she didnt care for the way touga played with utena's emotions, and juri wanted to help utena more so against touga, than just helping utena.

Last edited by yuzukelly (03-26-2011 11:07:00 AM)

#9 | Back to Top03-26-2011 11:14:06 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Yeah, it was pretty much my understanding that she didn't really like Touga that much. I doubt she'd be mad that it was broken if she had the chance to see the look on his face.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#10 | Back to Top03-26-2011 02:23:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dallbun wrote:

While being sick of Touga's gloating would be a fine enough reason by itself, I figured that Juri suspected that Utena lost because of her. Juri is, after all, the one who spilled Utena's "prince" story to Touga, thus giving him the psychological ammunition he needed to bluff his way to victory.

Quoted for insight.  I'd figured Juri disliked Touga's gloating, and that she liked Utena rather better than Touga, but I hadn't gotten as far as her probable feelings of annoyance with herself for having enabled one of Touga's more egregious displays of misogyny.  Great catch!  I wonder why she spilled those beans in the first place.  Was it because she didn't think it was important, or because she was feeling vindictive from her encounter with Utena in the statue garden?

#11 | Back to Top03-27-2011 12:16:24 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Quoted for insight.  I'd figured Juri disliked Touga's gloating, and that she liked Utena rather better than Touga, but I hadn't gotten as far as her probable feelings of annoyance with herself for having enabled one of Touga's more egregious displays of misogyny.  Great catch!  I wonder why she spilled those beans in the first place.  Was it because she didn't think it was important, or because she was feeling vindictive from her encounter with Utena in the statue garden?

My impression was she did in the casual way one mentions something without realizing it will come back in a horrific fashion later. Juri probably felt it was important to understanding the dueling game, End of the World, etc. It's an interesting fact that Utena's reasons for being at Ohtori are unlike the others, and Juri likely hoped sharing that information was going to be beneficial to the Council and their understanding of the mystery.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#12 | Back to Top03-27-2011 02:10:22 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

There could be said to be several elements...

First, to me it was a gesture of female comradeship. Juri has her faults, but she's ultimately a good person who believes in justice and fair play. She knew Utena was at a disadvantage against Touga, and wanted to level the field.

Also, as has been said, Juri likes Utena. To what degree is an interesting question of course, but there's no doubt Juri finds Utena intriguing, especially after her "defeat" in their first duel. I think that, perhaps more than any other member of the student council, Juri sees in Utena what she wishes she saw in herself. It's natural that that would lead to a feeling of admiration, if not more.

Finally, I believe Ikuhara said in the movie commentary that Juri was a character designed specifically to counterbalance Utena, a character to be played against Utena as something like an equal. In other words, Juri is The Rival, and as every one knows, The Rival always helps their respective main character out against the real threat... emot-tongue

Last edited by Aelanie (04-07-2011 12:17:23 AM)

#13 | Back to Top03-29-2011 06:20:12 PM

liberrrty
Miki Molester

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/5388-3/Series_ep12_129.jpg

I kinda read this as, "emot-mad... I'm sick of being the only girl wearing pants around here."

(Semi) seriously though I think part of it is because she knows it will get the 'normal' Utena back. Part of Juri's fustration at her in episode 7 was seeing her go all googly eyed over her 'prince' so seeing her do this over Touga must have her livid. Kind of like Wakaba when you think about it, apart from it's more to do with her not wanting to be alone in a sense.

Also all the reasons said by everyone before. I forget how neat all you guys are after a while away poptart

Bishonen's back babies!

#14 | Back to Top03-30-2011 12:52:13 AM

Randamonian
Rose Bride

y'know, it came to mind that while it may have some deep meaning to it, they might have just wanted to tie up any loose ends. To the question: What does she fight with? Nothing's simpler than a 15 second scene from good old Juri. And when you think about it, where else would Utena have gotten a sword from? Considering Utena, she might have started walking right over to the dueling forest when Juri had to pull her back and say "Hey now, you need a sword."

But I  still love you guys for talking about it. Gotta love a show when you can talk about things like this in almost excessive detail. emot-tongue

Last edited by Randamonian (03-30-2011 12:53:49 AM)

#15 | Back to Top03-30-2011 02:23:11 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Great analysis folks! Yet I couldn't help but see the image by itself and think...

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z245/Chrome_Homura/yetanotherzeldajoke.jpg

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#16 | Back to Top03-30-2011 02:42:04 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

emot-rofl

"Master using it and you can have this."

#17 | Back to Top04-29-2011 02:30:32 AM

OrangeRose
Saionji Slapper
Website

Well, I think she just had something against Touga.
No, seriously, I think Juri really respected Utena, and though Utena beat her in the Duels, she knew deep down that Utena was the the one who would Revolutionize the world. Just a guess...

"Your rose is MINE, Betch!"
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/Lcita/juri.jpg

#18 | Back to Top05-05-2011 04:35:31 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

In order to increase the Utena/Juri subtext in the show! But the serious answer is that she was probably tired of Touga being obnoxious about winning the duel. And also, it is possible that Juri figured out that Touga was able to manipulate Utena since she told him about how Utena wanted to be a prince and how she had met one as a child. Giving the sword to Utena was a way of making amends.

Another possibility is that Juri wanted Utena to stay in the duels so that she could duel her again. In episode 7, Juri tells Touga that if Utena has the power to revolutionize the world that she, "wants to take it from her with her own hands."  Juri wouldn't be able to do that if Utena dropped out of the duels. Not to mention, even though Touga can turn the Sword of Dios into a super-sword by having Anthy perform mild oral sex on it, he still can't win with a miracle like Utena did. It is possible that Juri wants to disprove the existence of miracles by having Utena win against Touga and then beating Utena afterward. Since Juri doesn't use any tricks to win, in her mind, if she is able to beat Utena while Utena is engaged to Anthy, that might disprove the existence of miracles.

Board footer