This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-26-2018 08:49:16 AM

Jotari
New Student

Wait, Miki's the same age as Nanamai?

So just joined the site and browsing through the recent threads and I see this one (Akio's English paper is hilarious by the way)

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=4384

And people are saying Nanamai, Miki and Kozue are all in the same grade. This doesn't gel for me. Nanamai being a year younger than Utena and Anthy makes sense. She feels and acts younger. It's what I always expected from her. But Miki is much more established in the school. I find it hard to believe he's been put on the student council from the first month of middle school. Likewise, Kozue's sexual promiscuity is egregious a fourteen year old. But if she's freaking twelve!, then that's put a whole new light on her character for me. Did anyone else get the impression that Miki and his sister were in the bracket of a year older than Utena, rather than a year younger?

Edit: Also Miki helps Anthy and Utena with their maths homework. That makes much more sense if he's a grade higher than them, or at least in the same grade. By all rights they should be doing coursework he hasn't even started yet.

Last edited by Jotari (01-26-2018 08:55:24 AM)

#2 | Back to Top01-26-2018 10:11:03 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Wait, Miki's the same age as Nanamai?

Well, according to the poster who said that Miki and Kozue were 12, they turn 13 during the first arc, so they're a bit older for most of the story at least.

Remember, Miki is considered somewhat of a prodigy, so that's why he's able to help Utena with math. "He's a total genius who's studying a college curriculum, even though he's a middle school freshman." -Wakaba, Episode 4 // He seems to be thought of as older than he actually is by not just us but the characters as well; in the same scene, Wakaba notes that he's popular with older girls.

im a shadow play girl irl

#3 | Back to Top01-26-2018 10:20:53 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I always just go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ over the ages in Utena. Everyone looks and acts older than they're supposed to be.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#4 | Back to Top01-26-2018 08:50:13 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Yeah, it's textual that Miki, Kozue, and Nanami are middle school first-years, or American 7th-graders, which would make them 12 to 13 years old, and that Utena and her class are one year older. It's just a thing. Miki is a prodigy who is studying much more advanced curriculum, but he's still in the same grade as Nanami because skipping grades during the compulsory education years isn't really a thing in Japan (please disregard Azumanga Daioh). And if Kozue being so young makes you uncomfortable, well, #ThatsUtena

#5 | Back to Top01-27-2018 11:37:38 AM

Jotari
New Student

Dallbun wrote:

Yeah, it's textual that Miki, Kozue, and Nanami are middle school first-years, or American 7th-graders, which would make them 12 to 13 years old, and that Utena and her class are one year older. It's just a thing. Miki is a prodigy who is studying much more advanced curriculum, but he's still in the same grade as Nanami because skipping grades during the compulsory education years isn't really a thing in Japan (please disregard Azumanga Daioh). And if Kozue being so young makes you uncomfortable, well, #ThatsUtena

It's less feeling uncomfortable and more requiring a higher sense of suspension of disbelief.

#6 | Back to Top01-27-2018 03:11:34 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Due to the time problems ohtori has, maybe everyone's a bit older in some sense than they really "are"?

im a shadow play girl irl

#7 | Back to Top02-01-2018 09:19:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Arale wrote:

Due to the time problems ohtori has, maybe everyone's a bit older in some sense than they really "are"?

Nah, just blame the art style. See how they look as Sailor Moon characters? (Yes, the hair is a bit janky due to lack of options...and skill... but you get the point I'm making.)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GF1sOgADWsHguu0-NQg9ALkacaVwYIigmzeeFVZgUYQuJ_nCiO49hP7eTBMZuNKtPs1wBxrUTSv5fWfTsCFvQuJ3_f4kt3yroM-Qz-tQxZXMx4Wukh2w183fSStL3vy47g7TW0J0pbPqrLVwVPktoRnHcUpXdzmJIghQy7DgyXhTPrsX3DbWBxUE9AWNonkWajnlAnrPo5dGNI7E_CsESwWc5N4x_H-W_-HtLTDs1FLwNdQuciLFOUoE_B6Oo9_ipv_PIoCQkwQ8BQtBI3pv11iNsUhevLXe0sFqEMjJCdGMrUsUXXmJ-A0TImTXdjBxwmx4WzOhCyVZROchLr1G1vfUqY92YHsiqXEO2VoCUTU4e1pWGJx4jkK8FJmnw7ij8tvUwU-5Eun2BttEoJTYbrcAUiB06PWQYcRBj8fp2ED1R-o0vMbS57rZYLd9SnxM9nSwlj8_DBKiosNkci5gE19WKOXQaoWaRDllx5HhTl6iLXKe0bJ-u89HyoErKD1qhweJ3pCW0g94InwbhoKu2_QgW2v0afu34fT0mDzyXWUQVye3ulCrgo6sy4BFE6jynwGkNptKKGiS6Z4Sdqy1ZmO-OidWkj7De0Am_OU=w599-h374-no

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer