This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1726 | Back to Top02-26-2017 01:15:02 AM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

Re: Movies

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

SaigonAlice wrote:

Word of advice, don't refer to Transgender people as "Transvestites" or "Transexuals." Those are generally considered as very harmful slurs.

I'm going to take some time for this, because I think it needs addressing.

Ed Wood was a transvestite. He was a man who felt most comfortable in what are traditionally considered women's clothing. His first major production was a pseudo-documentary on transvestism and on mtf transitioning of transsexuals.

As someone who is intersex who wears a lot of "women's" clothes, and has many close acquaintances who are transsexual or transvestites, I'm not going to let anyone take the blanket term, transgender, solely for their own. Period.

Transgender is an umbrella term, under which the categories intersex, transsexual, and transvestite fall. Should they be grouped together? Maybe, maybe not. Clinically, they are increasingly being distanced, and that makes sense. Sociologically... who knows. However, transsexuals, being people whose gender does not conform to societal expectations of their sexual characteristics, do not have sole claim to transgender, nor can they erase other transgender categories for their own gain.

So, when I'm discussing a transvestite filmmaker and novelist, whose work often dealt openly with transvestites and transsexuals, I'm going to do him the respect of referring to those as they are and not erase his identity or existence, and the existence and identities of his subjects.

I concede and apologise. I don't consider myself cisgender but I'm not transgender nor am I transexual or transvestite, so it'd be gauche of me to assume anything of the topic.

Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

#1727 | Back to Top02-26-2017 01:43:40 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

SaigonAlice wrote:

I concede and apologise. I don't consider myself cisgender but I'm not transgender nor am I transexual or transvestite, so it'd be gauche of me to assume anything of the topic.

I do hope it doesn't feel like I went for the jugular, there. It is a contentious issue, for sure. I just wanted to make clear I was using the terms for precision's sake, and I suppose I am a little defensive.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1728 | Back to Top02-26-2017 05:44:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just wanting to make the point that on IRG people often admit when they're being defensive, presenting their argument with that taken for granted so people know it's there, but that it also is a cue to consider the information. And people apologize??? It's awesome. I'm not quite wording it right, but I feel like there's a lot of productive checking your ego at the door, and I feel like I get so much more out of the conversations I read here. So like, yay, IRG. Or something. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1729 | Back to Top03-01-2017 02:37:49 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

"LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston."

Haters are already coming out and already judging the performance based on trailers, but it's Bill Condon and there's, um, Gaston. Did we really think this wouldn't get gay? Do we really have so little faith in Condon, that we think he can't have a gay character without screwing it up?

People are so hard to please. Sigh! But, I'm still all in and then some.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1730 | Back to Top03-04-2017 02:22:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I love that they're going to out him, but it's really not a huge stretch from the original. That guy was 100% gay nonstop regardless of whether he was closeted or not, so they're really just taking their own work to its logical conclusion. I'm guessing everyone's mad because of how...well...gay this all looks. Maybe people were hoping for some big surprise like OMG the teapot is married to a woman and Chip was born with donor sperm supplied by Cogsworth!!!11

When Sulu was outed as gay in the last Trek movie, people that approved did so by pointing out that making a whole new character just for the coincidence of them being gay would be ridiculous. I agree with that, and had they made some other character as new content to make gay in their movie, people would have been angry about that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#1731 | Back to Top03-04-2017 01:02:44 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

"LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston."

Haters are already coming out and already judging the performance based on trailers, but it's Bill Condon and there's, um, Gaston. Did we really think this wouldn't get gay? Do we really have so little faith in Condon, that we think he can't have a gay character without screwing it up?

People are so hard to please. Sigh! But, I'm still all in and then some.

I seriously had zero interest in watching the movie, then I heard about LeFou and my interest was piqued. cool

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1732 | Back to Top03-08-2017 02:29:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It's going to be like Star Trek Beyond was last year with Sulu being gay in that the media will literally shit themselves over something that will flash and be missed easily and isn't even remotely a big deal in the movie. Which is pretty telling to what our attitudes are.

#1733 | Back to Top03-08-2017 04:15:51 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Watching Phantasm: Ravager and, yeah, it's not as good as the earlier movies, but the sheer absurdity of everything and the fact that everything is always in question carries it a long way. I have to respect that we're five movies in and we still don't really know what's real or not. You can't watch a Phantasm movie for "the truth." The sequels aren't about, "OMG, I can't believe this is the (new) truth." What's important - and I suppose this is most meaningful when you consider that the initial impetus of the movies is a boy dealing with his parents being dead and then also losing his brother - what's important is how this feels, immediate moments.

And, that immediate moments are always transient. They're always gone.

Which, ultimately, means that when you're five movies in you can throw just about anything up on the screen and it's somehow relevant, disturbing, and about aging out and mortality.

Giovanna wrote:

It's going to be like Star Trek Beyond was last year with Sulu being gay in that the media will literally shit themselves over something that will flash and be missed easily and isn't even remotely a big deal in the movie. Which is pretty telling to what our attitudes are.

Desperate?

#1734 | Back to Top03-10-2017 01:28:37 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Desperate and clinging to antique social mores.

They really made a big deal of the gay Sulu thing. Takei commented on not liking it, and it sparked this huge debate in the community before it ever got released. And when it did? A subtle, clean reference the script and the film draws absolutely no special attention to. Star Trek trolled the people who thought a gay character was even remotely a big deal. It felt very like the spirit of Star Trek, in that it criticizes our stupid modern misguided beliefs by ignoring them. Uhura was black, which was a big deal to the people watching...but the show didn't care.

Disney is a little less progressive this way, and I get that. It deals with a young crowd and undeniably defines the speed of progress culturally in a way that just straight eclipses even something like Trek. But the last several large Disney backed projects have had prominent, independently powerful women, and that's great! Princesses without needing princes to save them, all that good shit. Gay people need to happen and I hope in the movie it's treated the way it is in Trek. Like...no one cares. That said...the time period setting and all stretch the believability of that...so I really don't know where they're going to go with this. emot-confused

#1735 | Back to Top03-17-2017 01:20:52 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Ladies and gents, I need your help. I have to write an essay in which I compare a film and its remake. Trouble is, I hardly ever watch full length films, so I have no idea what would be a good choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though please don't tell me too much about the film (it's my essay after all, I've got to write it).

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#1736 | Back to Top03-17-2017 05:04:08 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Zerokohai wrote:

Ladies and gents, I need your help. I have to write an essay in which I compare a film and its remake. Trouble is, I hardly ever watch full length films, so I have no idea what would be a good choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated, though please don't tell me too much about the film (it's my essay after all, I've got to write it).

Just do on the  Disney live action remake movies they're making, pretty fun to nitpick the differences. The mist fun one us snow white and its remakes.

Last edited by itavin (03-17-2017 05:05:12 PM)

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#1737 | Back to Top03-17-2017 07:27:56 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Zerokohai wrote:

Pick something you think you can really watch through more than once. And, only then, pick an angle you can really talk about.

Some people can get an entire book out of the fact The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is about Texans killing Texans, but the remakes are about poor innocent "normals" from the North being murdered by Texas. Other people... can't watch Chainsaw beginning to end.

Lean on your strengths and make it easy on yourself. (And, good luck!)

#1738 | Back to Top03-17-2017 07:28:26 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Zerokohai wrote:

If you want to watch a remake that was made as experiment to see why that particular film shouldn't be remade, I'd suggest Psycho, both the original Hitchcock version and the 1998 Gus Van Sant version. It's technically a shot-by-shot remake, so if you're interested in that, you could check them out. Also, there could be value in comparing both versions of The Blob. The 1958 version's said to be the first successful independent film, and the 1988 remake does seem evocative of 80s horror in general, from what I understand. And if you need an excuse to watch both versions of Little Shop of Horrors, take it and run.

If you don't want to go towards horror, there's Scarface (1932 and 1983), 101 Dalmatians, both the 1961 animated film and the 1996 live action remake, and Flubber (1997) and The Absent-Minded Professor (1961). And this one might be a bit much, but there has been three versions of a Fantastic Four movie that have all had various levels of mediocre to negative receptions.

Also, apparently Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor is a remake of Tora! Tora! Tora!. I honestly didn't know that.

EDIT: The Wicker Man (1973). The Wicker Man (2006). Wicker Men.

Last edited by zeedikay (03-17-2017 07:35:52 PM)

#1739 | Back to Top03-18-2017 05:44:54 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Tonight's triple feature (because I couldn't find Ever After): Babadook, Argento's Dracula, and Demons of the Mind. My brain decided I needed a good evening of decadent tension and delicious freakout, without consciously letting me know until it was all orchestrated.

#1740 | Back to Top03-18-2017 08:11:38 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

Zerokohai wrote:

Infernal Affairs and The Departed are action/crime type movies that could be a possibility. Kind of obscure but it was the first think I thought of.

#1741 | Back to Top03-19-2017 01:04:11 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I don't know if it would count, but the original Lemony Snicket movie vs the new Netflix Lemony Snicket series would be fun.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#1742 | Back to Top03-19-2017 09:14:32 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

gpink wrote:

Zerokohai wrote:

Infernal Affairs and The Departed are action/crime type movies that could be a possibility. Kind of obscure but it was the first think I thought of.

Dawn of the Dead.  Zombie movies are alllllllll abouts the zombies as a analogies for consumerism, and how society views that consumerism and thus frames and designs its mall zombo film to reflect that in 1978 versus 2004 might make for interesting discussion. 

Same with any kind of monster movie.  Remakes will tend to change bits and pieces so that the new boogeyman is in line with with what we fear as a society.

#1743 | Back to Top03-19-2017 09:28:31 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

According to the Skull Island's director, he wanted the opening originally to be, “So it’s World War II. A full squad comes to this beach. They’re killing each other – and then suddenly, this giant monkey [that looks a lot like the monkey from the last King Kong movie] comes out of the jungle. And they just kill it. It’s dead. And you’re sitting there going, ‘Wait, did they just kill King Kong? Did they kill the hero of this film?’ And then you’d hear a roar and see a much bigger creature – the real King Kong. That was the crazy version of me wanting to send a message that this isn’t like other King Kong movies that you’ve seen. The studio were like: ‘You can’t do that.’

People are thrilled it didn't happen because it would be "mean-spirited." Hell with that. Maybe it's unsentimental, but maybe these movies could do with a little less hedging the sentimental bets.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Dawn of the Dead.  Zombie movies are alllllllll abouts the zombies as a analogies for consumerism, and how society views that consumerism and thus frames and designs its mall zombo film to reflect that in 1978 versus 2004 might make for interesting discussion.

I "love" that Snyder's perspective, making the remake, was so upsetting to Romero, that Romero got one of his meanest scenes ever out of it, in Diary of the Dead. (The scene where they string up a woman, talk about whether she's still fuckable, then shoot her in the face and string up the next target was inspired by Snyder on a DVD commentary saying he and his buddies, in a zombie outbreak, would basically be picking off zombies who look like guys who got more than them or like the girls who didn't bang them.)

#1744 | Back to Top03-20-2017 05:45:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Zerokohai wrote:

I'm so late to this party, but The Thomas Crown Affair is a fun double feature. Let the Right One In, too.

Speaking of remakes...well. Beauty and the Beast? Anyone?

The sets and such were drop dead gorgeous, and they fixed a lot of flaws in the original...but then they broke a lot of things too, and I never really bought the Beast--his facial CG was top notch but the body movements just never came together. Apparently Dan Stevens did a stilts thing to perform, which is admirable, but it looked a lot like they never got a handle on how he walked, and his hair/clothing felt lifeless. Which is a shame because some of the things I totally loved, like the Definitely Not Versailles look they gave everything, and the absurd notion that he wouldn't be able to read.

Strangely, they toned Gaston way, way down, and I don't mean in the whole 'removed key elements of his song' kind of way, but in the rapey-pants sexist way. He's still arrogant as holy hell, but he just doesn't carry the same sexual menace he had before.

But they had Adam growl adorably at the end so I'm guessing most women my age who are totally not furries except for Disney are happy??? And despite my being able to critique it for a week straight, I don't hate it? Is this what clinging to nostalgia feels like? emot-frown

#1745 | Back to Top03-29-2017 02:42:59 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Zerokohai wrote:

Not sure if you're still looking for something, but would Kubrick's Shining and the miniseries (possibly directed by King himself, I don't recall) of the same name count?

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#1746 | Back to Top03-30-2017 06:23:13 AM

Ashnod
La potesse revolutionnaire
Website

Zerokohai wrote:

Ringu (original) vs. The Ring (remake)

There is a wealth of things you can focus on here. I was startled by how different the two films are and yet how similar they are.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#1747 | Back to Top03-30-2017 01:04:24 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Moana

It is the most perfect Disney Princess movie I could have hoped for. I do want to watch it again to confirm my feelings about it but so far I am in awe. (mild spoilers below)

First of all, no white, waif-like princess moping about in her luxurious castle about how sad she is to be a princess because princesses have to wear dresses and dresses are uncomfortable. NO. Moana is a fucking leader. She doesn't have time to waft about in dresses because she's too busy working. 

Her attraction to the ocean and sailing and not because she's too fucking lazy to do her job but because of her HERITAGE, journeying is in her blood and an integral part of her culture.

Moana doesn't magically get sailing powers - she ASKS to be taught and then she LEARNS.

The main message of this movie is compassion, believing in yourself, having confidence in your dreams, owning up to your responsibilities, taking ownership of your actions.

EMPATHY AND COMPASSION save the day. Brute strength achieves little.

No love interests, not even potential ones or rejected ones. The topic of marriage/love is not even an issue that's ever brought up.

The 'you must never go outside the city walls' Disney bullshit thing ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE FOR ONCE. There are actual fucking monsters out there that will eat you.

Her grandma.etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

tl;dr despite originally not wanting to watch this movie I give it an 11/10 and recommend everyone to watch. Moana's 'How Far I'll Go' song is five billion times better than Let it Go and also FUCK Frozen.

#1748 | Back to Top04-02-2017 12:10:08 PM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

Alright, for the first time in years, I rewatched Beauty and the Beast (the original, I have no interest in the live action version). It was the first film I remember watching and the first DVD I ever owned (back in 2002!), and I was awash with emotion and nostalgia the whole time. Trouble is, since it was such a big part of my childhood, I find it near-impossible to look at it objectively and critically. Even now, I loved every moment of it, and I'm not even a particularly big Disney fan. I found its pacing to be spot on, the score to be very good (though I wouldn't rush to listen to it) and now that I am an animator, I was left awestruck by how well done certain scenes are. I could even feel tears welling up inside me near the end, and this is coming from someone who (unfortunately) hardly ever cries. While I am aware that a major criticism people have of it is that it romanticises Stockholm syndrome, I still loved the concept of someone helping someone else emotionally grow and mature. One thing that I do wonder, however, is if Belle is a good female protagonist, if she perpetuates sexist tropes, or neither. I mean, you could praise her outgoing nature and refusal to buy into Gaston's fantasies. I do love Gaston as an idea, though. Someone else once discussed the idea of there being a 'Gaston' in every society, in that there's always one person who is abhorrent, manipulative, selfish, and misogynistic, yet is seemingly respected and revered by almost everyone around them (I have heard that the remake shows Lefou paying people to say nice things about Gaston, completely ruining what made him a good character.).

I imagine a fair few of you have seen it, so I was hoping some of you might be able to weigh in with your thoughts. No, this is not for the essay. You'll learn more about that once I finish it.

Actually, now that I've had a proper think, perhaps some of the reasons I enjoy this film have changed as I've gotten older. Not to sound whiny and pathetic, but I find the 'perfect' ending where nothing bad happens to be a rather comforting sight, especially in the current world we live in. And of course, the aforementioned newfound appreciation for its art.

Last edited by Zerokohai (04-02-2017 11:51:50 PM)

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#1749 | Back to Top04-04-2017 11:38:08 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I don't think the animated Beauty and the Beast romanticizes Stockholm; Belle falls in love with a changed Beast who lets her go the minute she needs to. Stockholm IMO would have been her falling in love with the Beast from the beginning of the movie who would have kept her locked up regardless. I think it's pretty much one of the most perfect Disney movies out there and the reason why Gaston is such a powerful and memorable character is because he is a REAL one, much like Umbridge from Harry Potter. I think we've all known of or met a Gaston before.

I watched The Handmaiden. I was surprised how good it was. Like, from a technical standpoint, the writing, the cinematography, the acting. If it wasn't about lesbians I imagine it would have been an international sensation.

#1750 | Back to Top04-07-2017 06:07:19 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Amused by the giant doses of misogyny and body-policing showing up in the rage over The Assignment. It may be a bullshit movie (all Walter Hill movies indulge in their share of swagger bullshit), but you can't really go "this is transphobic" in the same complaint as, "Michele Rodriguez doesn't look enough like a man! They should've cast someone more mannish." Extra points if they then go on to talk about Sigourney Weaver and call her mannish or mention "unconventional looks."

Board footer