This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-20-2015 08:03:16 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

Nanami, and the Student Council

(( Hey all,

Um... okay, so this is my second attempt at one of these.  My first try met with... mixed results.

Anyway, I guess I'll get right to the point.

So... I'm re-watching the Mikage Seminar arc, and I noticed that when Nanami takes over the Student Council, she changes the mantra that they were saying.  I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think she gets it "right" the entire time she's in charge.  I haven't written down the wording, but at least the first time she says it, during the sub-story arc of Miki and Kozue,  it's way off.

Is... there some reason for this?  My superficial thoughts make me think that it's because she doesn't understand what the Student Council really is, and more importantly she doesn't understand the actual meaning invoked by the mantra.  I'm... pretty sure there's more to it than that.

Um... any thoughts, please? ))

#2 | Back to Top10-21-2015 02:16:04 AM

Rikoshi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Re: Nanami, and the Student Council

I'm trying to remember if Nanami ever does the spiel after the Miki & Kozue episode, actually. Most of the the time I think we just cut to the Student Council already in session during the Black Rose Saga, as I recall.

#3 | Back to Top10-21-2015 02:19:01 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I've never really thought of it before but what she says is actually kind of interesting:

if it cannot break it's egg's shell a chick will die without being born
the chamber of freedom and the cage of freedom
without revealing the vastness of the sky
both care for the chick
Smash the world's cage

The shell is necessary for the chick's existence. It needs the shell to grow and form before it can be born.
Touga's speech looks only towards the smashing of the shell whereas Nanami looks back to where the chick came from. Without the egg, the cage of freedom, there is no chick to break free.

Last edited by YamPuff (10-21-2015 02:19:21 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#4 | Back to Top10-21-2015 05:28:27 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nanami is deeper than even she, herself, can tell.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top10-21-2015 07:00:43 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

It's actually kind of ironic, since later on Touga begins imitating Akio. And here, Nanami imitates Touga. I think she's a lot more personal/independent about it, though. If I remember correctly, the Student Council just doofs around not really doing anything until near the end of that arc. I guess she was just having fun.

im a shadow play girl irl

#6 | Back to Top10-21-2015 11:12:02 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey all,

Well... I don't get the impression they're just dallying the day away.  I... think most of it is because the Seminar takes such front stage from everything, and most of the Student Council suffers in one way or another from the Seminar.  And... Akio spends a lot of time in these episodes as well.

Anyway, these are some awesome ideas!  Thank you for giving me more to think about. ))

#7 | Back to Top10-22-2015 03:29:25 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Can someone more familiar with Japanese clarify if Nanami employs clever wordplay, rhyme or such in her changing of Touga's speech? or is her attempt as clumsy as it seems in English?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#8 | Back to Top10-23-2015 05:36:23 PM

Rikoshi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Can someone more familiar with Japanese clarify if Nanami employs clever wordplay, rhyme or such in her changing of Touga's speech? or is her attempt as clumsy as it seems in English?

I just went and listened to that scene to check, and the translation earlier in thread is pretty accurate and direct. There isn't any real Japanese wordplay going on.

It's worth pointing out that she does use the same highly formalized style that Touga uses when delivering his version of the speech, to add to your wondering on that last point.

#9 | Back to Top10-24-2015 08:45:58 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey Rikoshi,

It looks like you're right.  Nanami only goes through the mantra once during the arc.  I could have sworn she did it more often.

Hey YamPuff,

My Japanese is rusty, at best; yet, as far as I can tell, Nanami isn't trying any real wordplay, rhyme or meter, or trying to sound more intellectual via using mala-proper-isms.  To me, it sounds like what she's saying is how she remembers the mantra. ))

#10 | Back to Top10-25-2015 12:48:36 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

That's interesting and so amusing. Nanami is too precious XD

Board footer