This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-06-2016 09:35:18 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Translation Request: Tomoko Kawakuchi: Adolescence Doll

I just found out Tomoko Kawakuchi, Utena's voice actress released an album inspired by Utena, and I had no idea. I'm really excited and want to buy it! But I don't know Japanese. No one is obligated to translate anything for me or anyone else, but I would really appreciate it. It seems like this would be the best place to bring the idea up, because people here have translated so much (the entire game with all its possible endings!).
I learned about it from http://forionby.tumblr.com/post/1485313 … d-with-rgu. One song is already translated in the post, leaving nine songs untranslated.

#2 | Back to Top08-06-2016 11:43:37 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Translation Request: Tomoko Kawakuchi: Adolescence Doll

Cool, didn't know this album existed! With that other Utena-associated J.A. Seazer concert CD that turned up lately, it seems like there's lots of Utena-inspired music that's not on our radar. Thanks for sharing!

FYI, looks like the song that was translated at the link provided, "What’s left after a candle" (ロウソクが残すもの), was the only one written completely by Tomoko Kawakuchi. She also apparently composed the music for that one, though the arrangement is credited to someone else. One other song was co-written by her  - for all the other songs, she's only credited as the singer.

http://www.din.or.jp/~pchan/cd/seiyuu/KICA-5044.html

The co-written song is 鳴らない電話, or Silent Phone, or Unringing Phone, or something else like that but appropriately poetic. I can't find the lyrics online after a quick search, though. If anybody else looks, be sure to specify Tomoko Kawakuchi, because there's another single with the same title by another artist, Sakimoto Hiromi.

And ATLI, if you do end up buying a copy, scan and post the lyrics!

#3 | Back to Top08-07-2016 12:55:23 AM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

I checked utamap, and LIP STEAL (not on the album) was the only song attributed to her there. I'll try googling tomorrow to see if lyrics are posted up anywhere else.

And yes, if you can scan the lyrics from the CD, I'm totally interested in helping out with this project! I've actually been looking for some new J-Pop lyrics to translate.

I'm aiming for a Master's degree in Literary Translation, so I need some unique work for my admission portfolio.

#4 | Back to Top08-08-2016 08:15:24 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

I found someone had lyrics to a couple of the album's songs: http://forionby.tumblr.com/post/1486334 … replied-to.
To those who said they'd be interested, thank you!

#5 | Back to Top08-09-2016 02:55:11 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

It's been awhile since I've translated a song like this, so please forgive any errors.

01. Change my mind
AUDIO

I’m no longer scared of anything starting today,
I will gradually begin to change myself.
Change my mind.

I was losing my way and was scared, but in the course of time…
What will become of us?
Without being seen,
I want to run my hand across this sky…
But I don’t know anything,
except impatience…

I will never stop!
As long as there are no limits
I musn’t run away. Oh oh!

I was unable to see it! [1]
And I stumbled over our meeting.
It will be fulfilled.
The future…

Ah for some reason, I just want to chat today
Until we happen upon the hour of the first departure
Change my mind.

I can’t accept even myself, and I can’t go back…
As long as tears could deceive,
I was laughing.
But it’s fine, so long as there is a stirring courage within me
Discouraging nights,
should be be destroyed.

I will never stop!
As long as there are no limits
I musn’t run away. Oh oh!

I was unable to see it!
And I stumbled over our meeting
It will be fulfilled.
Get your dream…

A chilling shadow cast over. Struggling on my own.
Nobody will believe me…is what I thought even that night
Surpassing beyond strength

*Repeat

Oh oh!
Constantly reprimanded
Enraged at others
But I won’t be defeated. Oh oh!
Gradually, I’ve come to understand,
that the opponent I fight is my own defatigable heart…

[1] I could be mistaken, but I’m assuming this was mistranscribed and I’m treating it as 見遣らない

Last edited by barafubuki (08-09-2016 03:20:18 PM)

#6 | Back to Top09-22-2016 03:52:12 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Thank you very much! I meant to thank you much earlier, but I was putting it off because first I wanted to find out whether that was a mistranscription, and then I forgot--but thank you!! I'm very glad to have the lyrics to that song!
Anyway, I asked the person I got these lyrics from and was told yes there's a mistranscription, but the correct one is this: 見失゠㠪㠄 (meaning ‘won't lose sight’, I guess?)." but very close and thank you!!
I have not bought the album yet, but if anyone wanted to translate Adolescence Doll (lyrics in the same link as Changing my Mind), I'd love to buy it and post the other lyrics (when I have money). Otherwise I'll eventually attempt a translation myself, from the resources in reference section my university library, where I already spend every spare minute I have between classes to research Utena.

#7 | Back to Top10-17-2016 10:56:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WELL FUCK.

So I've been working on and off on revamping content related to the music releases for SKU and keep finding more shit to keep track of. emot-frown

I'm going to look into just getting a copy for myself here. Once I have something, everyone has something. emot-wink If I can't though I guess I'll start digging and begging for the honor of compiling the work others have done.

Thanks so so much for your digging guys, I'm always stoked to discover new stuff. Double thanks for translating there, bara. I love having bilingual vict-er...fellow fans.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top10-23-2016 01:42:12 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Or not. Just got broke as fuck crashing my car. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer