This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-03-2007 10:05:27 AM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Re: The All-Encompassing Sailor Moon Thread

I really ought to rewatch R. That was definitely my favourite. But after the nonsense with the Doom Tree thing, that was kind of rubbish in my eyes.

#77 | Back to Top11-03-2007 10:13:41 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Pandora wrote:

I really ought to rewatch R. That was definitely my favourite. But after the nonsense with the Doom Tree thing, that was kind of rubbish in my eyes.

You know, the whole Ail and Ann arc wasn't quite as bad as I remembered it being when we rewatched it last year.  Sure, the story itself was bad, but there were a lot of good character episodes in the mix.  And Ami-Mako moments, if I'm remembering correctly.  R was one of my favorite seasons for character, but not a favorite for story.  I wasn't all that fond of any of the story arcs, but there were just too many great episodes focusing on the Inners for me not to like it very well.  I love the Inners most of all.  etc-loveetc-love

#78 | Back to Top11-03-2007 10:24:37 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I liked the Ali/En arc despite the cheap moral on the end because of the character interaction. And their human alter egos were very funny. Ah, Mako giving Seijuro (sp?) her lunch...

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#79 | Back to Top11-03-2007 10:29:31 PM

Mylene

I loved the Snow White episode.  With 'Lita' declaring she has the most "talent."  To this day, I still associate talent with being big breasted.  Whenever I hear that compliment for someone (or myself) I have to bit my lip to keep from giggling.  Particularly if said is particularly well-endowed or flat as a pancake.

#80 | Back to Top11-03-2007 10:33:17 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I loved the Snow White episode too... I don't recall what she said in the dub but I was amused when Mako said outright that the role should go to the one with the biggest chest.

I only saw the first two seasons dubbed. Somewhere during R I decided to do research on the original series and then refused to watch the dubbed version of S on principle.

#81 | Back to Top11-04-2007 07:27:10 AM

Mylene

Lita definitely said she had the most talent.  That was (is) an ongoing joke over at AFSM, at least when AFSM isn't in one of its dead stages.

I stopped watching the dub before the "17 newly dubbed episodes" of R came out.  I picked up fansubs of the movies in early 1998 and never looked back.  I've heard the dubbing got worse with S and SuperS...anyone know if that's true or not?

#82 | Back to Top11-04-2007 07:32:40 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I've never seen the dub of SuperS, but unfortunately I have of S. It's... frightening. Especially Usagi.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#83 | Back to Top11-04-2007 08:56:34 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Anyone ever watch any of the Sera Myu musicals? oooooh! the music is so awesome! Personally i like the second stage show Shin Densetsu Kourin. which has the Amazon trio of Super S in it. OOOOH! the guy who plays Tigers-eye is quite dreamy. not to mention... *cough*
Live Action Prince Diamond.. etc-wankgirl
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/LiveActionDiamond.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#84 | Back to Top11-04-2007 08:37:37 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

Anyone ever watch any of the Sera Myu musicals? oooooh! the music is so awesome!

Absolutely! I think the musicals kind of vary quite a bit in quality, but they're good times indeed! emot-smile You all should check them out - with a couple of exceptions, they're not nearly as bad an idea as they might sound. They all take place in seperate, unique continuities (with the exception of the three-musical "Dracul" arc), so any of them can be watched easily if you've got a passing knowledge of Sailor Moon.

Personally i like the second stage show Shin Densetsu Kourin. which has the Amazon trio of Super S in it. OOOOH! the guy who plays Tigers-eye is quite dreamy. *cough*

Some of Shin Sensetsu Kourin's music is great, but the plot is just a little bit too... reused and all over the place for my tastes. Some of the plot twists seem to serve no purpose but to allow the writer to fit in more old songs - like "mud puppet" Mamoru's unexplained return to Usagi's side for the exact duration of Triple Dreams '98. And when the Inner Senshi are brainwashed twice in one musical, you know the writers are running out of ideas. emot-frown

Shin Densetsu Kourin's Tiger's Eye ain't bad, but I'm all about Tiger's Eye's other actor (in the Sailor Moon SuperS musicals), Kasahara Ryuuji. He's probably my favorite villain actor - just check him out as Professor Tomoe in Overture of the Last Dracul, or MC Fly in Sailor Stars (I cosplayed that black costume. So cool). As for Hikari Ono (Prince Diamond), she's awesome in most of her roles (albeit possibly not quite as hot). I especially like her as an exceptionally playful Taiki in Sailor Stars, and Vampir in the latter two-thirds of the Dracul arc.

#85 | Back to Top11-04-2007 08:43:27 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Mm... sera Myu

I like the New Legend of Kaguya Island, but it IS the only one I've seen fully.

I didn't like the live action though. emot-frown
But the tuxedo mask flashback thing was SOOO CUTE.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#86 | Back to Top11-05-2007 12:05:17 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

And now you've lost me. emot-tongue

#87 | Back to Top11-05-2007 01:43:13 AM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

Last year, or maybe it was the year before, there was a live action version of Sailormoon called "Pretty Guardian Sailormoon." It's basically a retelling of the first arc.

Icon from Kawaii Not

#88 | Back to Top11-05-2007 05:28:47 AM

Mylene

I loved the live action, but haven't seen any of the SeraMyu--yet.  I fully intend to, especially since I'm curious about Kawabe Chieko playing Sailor Mercury.  For those who don't recall, she's Naru in PGSM, as well as the singer of Ouran High School Host Club's theme song, "Sakura Kiss."  Given she nearly stole the show as Naru in PGSM, I can't wait to see her in the 5 musicals she did.

#89 | Back to Top11-05-2007 07:59:48 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Cerise wrote:

I loved the live action, but haven't seen any of the SeraMyu--yet.  I fully intend to, especially since I'm curious about Kawabe Chieko playing Sailor Mercury.  For those who don't recall, she's Naru in PGSM, as well as the singer of Ouran High School Host Club's theme song, "Sakura Kiss."  Given she nearly stole the show as Naru in PGSM, I can't wait to see her in the 5 musicals she did.

She, in my opinion, outshined many other Mercury. She's got more songs and spotlight. As for Moon, I'm still a big fan of Anza.

#90 | Back to Top11-05-2007 08:55:49 AM

Mylene

Hiraku wrote:

Cerise wrote:

She, in my opinion, outshined many other Mercury. She's got more songs and spotlight. As for Moon, I'm still a big fan of Anza.

Not surprising, given just how talented Kawabe is.  Hmmm...maybe I should ask Paradox for her album for Christmas... ^_-

#91 | Back to Top11-09-2007 01:54:31 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

This is actually my first time watching the vast majority of SuperS... and it's definitely not my favorite of the seasons. It's not bad... but I'm basically just getting through it, waiting until the Outers come back.

#92 | Back to Top11-09-2007 06:52:23 AM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

This is actually my first time watching the vast majority of SuperS... and it's definitely not my favorite of the seasons. It's not bad... but I'm basically just getting through it, waiting until the Outers come back.

If you don't take it seriously, SuperS can actually be a fair amount of fun.  Last time Paradox and I watched it, we just sort of let the circus atmosphere and music wash over us, and had fun.  Besides, there are some absolutely hilarious episodes in that season.  Minako's two-timing date?  Terrific.

Then again, if you're a fan of the Outers rather than Inners, you're completely screwed.  Have you seen the SuperS specials?  Those pull Haruka and Michiru in in a very fun way for one part. emot-keke

Edit:  From ANN:

"Navarre CEO Kerry Deacon described Geneon USA's recent pullback from North American anime distribution as possibly beneficial to his company's anime subsidiary, Funimation, during a November 8 conference call on Navarre's fiscal year 2008 second quarter results. He said Geneon's pullback "could be positive to our position in the marketplace, both from a sales and a content acquisition basis." He specifically cited Sailor Moon, Hellsing, and Black Lagoon as strong former Geneon titles with uncertain futures."

Something to think about, at least.

Last edited by Cerise (11-09-2007 02:04:00 PM)

#93 | Back to Top11-09-2007 09:52:54 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I don't take any of Sailor Moon seriously, that's why I love it. And I do like that Amazon Trio... frankly I have a hard time seeing how Tigereye and Hawkeye can be straight.

But I am mostly an Outers fan. I have seen the special in the hotel with the puppet guy, that was just so many kinds of win. Haruka and Michiru were probably the first couple that I could qualify as a "shipper" for.

And etc-love Setsuna.

#94 | Back to Top11-09-2007 10:13:11 PM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I don't take any of Sailor Moon seriously, that's why I love it. And I do like that Amazon Trio... frankly I have a hard time seeing how Tigereye and Hawkeye can be straight.

But I am mostly an Outers fan. I have seen the special in the hotel with the puppet guy, that was just so many kinds of win. Haruka and Michiru were probably the first couple that I could qualify as a "shipper" for.

And etc-love Setsuna.

Haruka and Michiru taught me to completely question the homophobic ideology I'd had shoved down my throat all of my life.  Technically, I was already wondering why it mattered but was still unsure.  After that, I knew the homophobic teachings were complete rubbish.

That's why I love Sailor Moon, life lessons, baby.

#95 | Back to Top11-09-2007 10:41:48 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Aww, that's a cute story.

#96 | Back to Top11-10-2007 02:17:24 AM

Lissa
Miki Molester
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

One of my friends in college kept on trying to convince me that Haruka and Michiru weren't lovers. She said that they were just really, really good friends, and that it was common in Japan for a girl to have another girl friend that was so close to them that it seemed like they were dating.

Yeah. Right. Did she miss the part of the SuperS movie where Neptune makes a comment to the extent that adults do "fun things" too (read: sex), and Uranus turns beet red and coughs nervously? (oh, by the way? Yes. I am a Haruka/Michiru shipper...when I attempt to write Sailormoon fic, of course.

It's sad what they did to Setsuna in the anime. There's so much of her personality that's cut out in the anime. She's almost as neglected in the anime as Hotaru is in StarS. I love her in the manga. It brings out more of her love of kids and her dreams and job.

Icon from Kawaii Not

#97 | Back to Top11-10-2007 02:24:38 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Lissa wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

One of my friends in college kept on trying to convince me that Haruka and Michiru weren't lovers. She said that they were just really, really good friends, and that it was common in Japan for a girl to have another girl friend that was so close to them that it seemed like they were dating.

Yeah. Right.

I watched one episode where Michiru and Haruka raised little Sailor Saturn. It was like lesbian-dream-about-home. And they were blushing and hugging...lesbians! I'm only disappointed that I couldn't find any fanart with scissors. emot-mad

#98 | Back to Top11-10-2007 08:42:30 AM

Mylene

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Aww, that's a cute story.

emot-keke  It also spawned a conversation with the great Erica Friedman in AFSM that is part of the reason I still idolize that woman.  That, and all she's done for yuri anime/manga in North America.  She rocks.

I was also banned from watching BSSM because of Haruka and Michiru, but I ignored that fact.  Instead, Haruka and Michiru are probably my favorite fictional couple ever.  They were just so well written, so well placed together.  For me, it's the best example I've seen of what I consider "love." 

Mamoru and Usagi, on the other hand, bugged the heck out of me.  "I hate you, but since in the past we were lovers, and you were looking for me, we must be in love now, I'm sure of it."  At least in PGSM they built into a relationship without this knowledge.  It wasn't that creepy, forced relationship that came out of the anime and resulted in Mamoru just being Usagi's pinky ring.

#99 | Back to Top11-10-2007 07:55:04 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Lissa wrote:

Yeah. Right. Did she miss the part of the SuperS movie where Neptune makes a comment to the extent that adults do "fun things" too (read: sex), and Uranus turns beet red and coughs nervously? (oh, by the way? Yes. I am a Haruka/Michiru shipper...when I attempt to write Sailormoon fic, of course.

That's just sad, that your friend was so convinced of that... because yes, that is true, but even without all the evidence, Takeuchi stated outright that they were a couple... and that Haruka wasn't a man reincarnated as a woman or anything, they're just ordinary lesbians. Gah.

I don't like the development of Mamoru/Usagi in the anime either really. Once it's established I don't hate it, though I am a bit creeped out by a guy who's nineteen or twenty with a girlfriend who's fourteen...

#100 | Back to Top11-13-2007 03:20:47 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

...how the HELL can Tigereye and Hawkeye be straight?

And Usagi's distrust of Mamoru is annoying me more and more.

Board footer