This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-10-2015 04:39:17 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!??

The manga's pretty good! I especially like the insight into Akoya's character, it almost reminds me of an SKU kind of problem - so obviously bothered by how people treat him, he pretends he prefers it that way, until meeting the student council and being very impressed that they don't give two shits. Also lol his name. I want to draw him in a frog costume now. emot-rofl

I definitely think Akoya should take a trip down the Mikagevator.

EDIT: EP 10 first thoughts: I like the little touches, like only Atsushi and Yumoto having bentos whereas the other boys get cafeteria lunch.

Is it a cliche of sports anime for the manager to be a glasses dude or something? emot-confused

So only 2 eps (supposedly) to go and a fun Kuma Shock towards the end. emot-biggrin Looking forward to this!

Last edited by YamPuff (03-10-2015 01:16:24 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#52 | Back to Top03-11-2015 07:28:22 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I so want to buy the manga, seitokai is my drug!

Off the top of my head I can think of only one female manager glasses character, the girl from Haikyuu whose name presently escapes me.
I wonder if this episode was a parody of the already highly hilarious Meganebu, the anime about pretty boys who are obsessed with glasses. There's a 1st year there who is a dead ringer for Megawa, too.

And on the subject of Binan Mikagevator, this os how Arima would go:

"I didn't know we had such a place at our school, did you get permission from Kinshirou to build it?
You didn't, did you...ah, I'll be the one who gets scolded for this, I'm sure. By the way, are you related to Akoya?" *looks at the leaf picture to which Mikage has added a snail* "Sn-sna-gah!" *huddles in the a corner as one dead*

The meta-version:

"I don't mind being in the Student Council. Sure, Akoya is a handful and Kinshirou does not cut me any slack so that for all practical purposes I'm more the errand boy than a vice-president but it's not too bad. But last night I ended up watching Free! and thought to myself, 'oh look, this Makoto is my kind of character...and everyone likes him...wait a sec, shouldn't I be like this as well? Why am I stuck with a narcissistic prick and an anal retentive world conqueror wannabe?!', I kept thinking about how unfair it was! If only I could be in a different anime I'd be one of the good guys!"
"Deeper, go deeper..."
"Then I took a deep breath and felt much better. Say, are you Akoya's big brother or something?"
"..."

#53 | Back to Top03-12-2015 10:30:01 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

I so want to buy the manga, seitokai is my drug!

Off the top of my head I can think of only one female manager glasses character, the girl from Haikyuu whose name presently escapes me.
I wonder if this episode was a parody of the already highly hilarious Meganebu, the anime about pretty boys who are obsessed with glasses. There's a 1st year there who is a dead ringer for Megawa, too.

And on the subject of Binan Mikagevator, this os how Arima would go:

"I didn't know we had such a place at our school, did you get permission from Kinshirou to build it?
You didn't, did you...ah, I'll be the one who gets scolded for this, I'm sure. By the way, are you related to Akoya?" *looks at the leaf picture to which Mikage has added a snail* "Sn-sna-gah!" *huddles in the a corner as one dead*

The meta-version:

"I don't mind being in the Student Council. Sure, Akoya is a handful and Kinshirou does not cut me any slack so that for all practical purposes I'm more the errand boy than a vice-president but it's not too bad. But last night I ended up watching Free! and thought to myself, 'oh look, this Makoto is my kind of character...and everyone likes him...wait a sec, shouldn't I be like this as well? Why am I stuck with a narcissistic prick and an anal retentive world conqueror wannabe?!', I kept thinking about how unfair it was! If only I could be in a different anime I'd be one of the good guys!"
"Deeper, go deeper..."
"Then I took a deep breath and felt much better. Say, are you Akoya's big brother or something?"
"..."

LOL!

I kind of really want to see Arima get pissed off, like they did with En-chan.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#54 | Back to Top03-13-2015 07:55:14 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

http://www2.ooedoonsen.jp/boueibu/illust/index.html

The characters dressed up for the onsen. It's a bit odd that Arima is wearing that fish mask and carrying a shotgun though. >_> Hmm. Also I think Lord Zundar is holding a tiny wine glass, truly a class act.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-13-2015 07:58:06 AM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#55 | Back to Top03-14-2015 02:52:11 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

It's a bit odd that Arima is wearing that fish mask and carrying a shotgun though. >_>

HE WORKS FOR THE GOLDFISH!?

KUMA!

KUMA SHO---OCK!

#56 | Back to Top03-14-2015 11:07:04 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

LOL, I think that's one of those fake shotguns they use at festivals. The mask seals the deak but I do wonder why it's the Evil Fish, of all things! And it's amusing how the good guys have wombat designs on their yukata while the baddies have Zundar-sama. I'd buy Zundar themed clothing!

I'd like to see Arima get really angry for once as well. And since he's into gardening he might really like Ohtori's flower house. Or even Mikage's black roses.

"How do you manage to make your roses so dark?"
"These are the roses that bloom at the end the world."
"Oh. Right. I don't suppose you're taking orders from a green hedghog as well?"
"...I might."
"I'll take a whole case of black roses, wait is that a coffin...? Come to think of it, are you Akoya's brother or something?"

#57 | Back to Top03-16-2015 03:53:27 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

LOL, I think that's one of those fake shotguns they use at festivals. The mask seals the deak but I do wonder why it's the Evil Fish, of all things! And it's amusing how the good guys have wombat designs on their yukata while the baddies have Zundar-sama. I'd buy Zundar themed clothing!

I'd like to see Arima get really angry for once as well. And since he's into gardening he might really like Ohtori's flower house. Or even Mikage's black roses.

"How do you manage to make your roses so dark?"
"These are the roses that bloom at the end the world."
"Oh. Right. I don't suppose you're taking orders from a green hedghog as well?"
"...I might."
"I'll take a whole case of black roses, wait is that a coffin...? Come to think of it, are you Akoya's brother or something?"

Crack pairing; Mikage and Zundar-sama. etc-loveschool-devil

#58 | Back to Top03-17-2015 03:23:57 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I am impressed with episode 11 but Kusatsu's lipstick freaked me out a little. O_O Like wtf man.

Also, Goro's Yumoto sensors have me very interested and curious. Can't wait for the finale! emot-biggrin

#59 | Back to Top03-17-2015 03:26:16 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Finally! I'm excited because this was pretty much all I was waiting for to happen.  It still hurt a lot though. [Kinshiro overreacted like crazy, but I can understand why he was upset.  (I'm guessing he didn't invite him along because he knew he didn't like curry?) Atsuhi was probably his only friend at the time too. Sad. Still, just like En said, he's just sulking and needs to move on.]

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-17-2015 03:28:55 PM)

#60 | Back to Top03-17-2015 08:29:11 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Great episode all around!

HonorableShadow wrote:

Finally! I'm excited because this was pretty much all I was waiting for to happen.  It still hurt a lot though. [Kinshiro overreacted like crazy, but I can understand why he was upset.  (I'm guessing he didn't invite him along because he knew he didn't like curry?) Atsuhi was probably his only friend at the time too. Sad. Still, just like En said, he's just sulking and needs to move on.]

[I agree that poor Kin-chan overreacted like wow but yeah, I too can see why he was so hurt. Then again I have a soft spot for his kind of character. The way he saw it, Atsushi lied to him and went off with another boy. I bet Atsushi was indeed his only friend so it must have been even harder to take. Not to mention, being the heri of what seems to be an absurdly powerful zaibatsu probably meant a lot of pressure for Kin-chan and I bet his home environment was far from loving.
The whole thing also throws a new light on the kotatsu kaiju incident, Atsushi already knew how it feels to lose a friend for some rather trivial reason so En's sudden weird behavior must have really upset him. I also wonder why Atsushi didn't invite Kinshirou, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a misunderstanding and Atsushi meant to surprise Kinshirou with some delicious curry later on.

That dialogue between Zundar-sama and the Evil Fish was hilarious, it's a shame there is only one episode to go.
]

And this show already slashes itself for good measure but I kept having Yuri Kuma flashes from all the 'eternal friends' talk.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (03-17-2015 08:44:31 PM)

#61 | Back to Top03-18-2015 03:00:14 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

What I loved about the Kinshiru x Atsushi friendhsip thing is that it was over something both funny and trivial - like the rest of the incicidents in the series. You can laugh at it but it also identify with it a little. If it had been a true betrayal or real falling out between friends it wouldn't have thematically fit, which is why I absolutely love it.

Also, can I just say how much I love Yumoto? His chracater is not normally the kind of one I like, because they're usually played off as being dumb/ naive. But Yumoto is surorisingly perceptive and he's quite kind and supportive. He's really a good friend. Toothbrush incident aside, lol!

#62 | Back to Top03-18-2015 07:24:28 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Nocturnalux wrote:

[Then again I have a soft spot for his kind of character. The way he saw it, Atsushi lied to him and went off with another boy. I bet Atsushi was indeed his only friend so it must have been even harder to take..]

Yeah and I think a big part of the problem was also that [Atsushi didn't confront him about what was wrong. Kinshirou stopped talking to him and Atsushi just let it happen. That probably confirmed Kinshirou's fear that Atsushi really didn't care about him anymore and that he had found a replacement. ]

Yampuff wrote:

What I loved about the Kinshiru x Atsushi friendhsip thing is that it was over something both funny and trivial - like the rest of the incicidents in the series. You can laugh at it but it also identify with it a little

Me too! That was a really nice touch.

Someone on tumblr pointed this out:
https://41.media.tumblr.com/2a273f980ec6ecb275258862f207d060/tumblr_inline_nldn7dNC6q1rofps1_500.png
In episode 2 this was Kinshirou's reaction to smelling curry.

(Kinshirou would be really upset if he watched Mawaru Penguindrum I think. "Curry is a food you eat with someone you love!")

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-18-2015 07:39:31 AM)

#63 | Back to Top03-18-2015 10:01:55 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I too really liked that the fall-out was over something so mundane and even silly in hindsight.

HonorableShadow wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

[Then again I have a soft spot for his kind of character. The way he saw it, Atsushi lied to him and went off with another boy. I bet Atsushi was indeed his only friend so it must have been even harder to take..]

Yeah and I think a big part of the problem was also that [Atsushi didn't confront him about what was wrong. Kinshirou stopped talking to him and Atsushi just let it happen. That probably confirmed Kinshirou's fear that Atsushi really didn't care about him anymore and that he had found a replacement. ]

I got that impression as well. [Atsushi is adorable but his fear of upsetting people in general really backfired in this instance. Granted, Kinshirou did overreact like there's no tomorrow but had Atsushi tried harder to actually talk to him things would have gone very differently. This also casts some light on Kinshirou's reactions in the beach episode. The way he snaps when Yufuin tries to help him to his feet after landing on him seems standard Kinshirou 'I hate everyone' behavior but when we take into consideration how much he must resent Yufuin at a personal level it becomes less of a hissy fit.]

'Curry Trauma' is the new 'Kuma Shock' emot-dance

#64 | Back to Top03-18-2015 12:12:36 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Nocturnalux wrote:

'Curry Trauma' is the new 'Kuma Shock' emot-dance

Saionji probably has this, after being turned into a monkey. He and Kinshirou would get on like a house on fire. The disdain!  etc-saiowank

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#65 | Back to Top03-20-2015 11:43:56 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Kinshirou and Saionji, now that's an amazing recipe for disaster. Bonus points if Kinshirou mistakes Saionji for Zundar-sama...both are green. emot-dance

More adorable merch:

https://otakurepublic.com/media/binary/001/545/906/16410522.jpg

#66 | Back to Top03-20-2015 01:39:09 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Aw, that's cute. This show has some good merchandise. But I have no money. emot-frown  I would have to shake out my piggy bank if they ever make a Lord Zundar plushie though.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Curry Da--err, never mind.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-20-2015 01:39:53 PM)

#67 | Back to Top03-24-2015 01:15:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Finale was better than my expectations. For a 12 episode series, it was pretty much perfect. I cannot describe how much I love this show and how much happiness if brought me, lol.

MORE BETTER LOVE MAKING!! etc-love

Nocturnalux wrote:

Kinshirou and Saionji, now that's an amazing recipe for disaster.

I'd ship that so hard. etc-saiowank

#68 | Back to Top03-24-2015 01:33:00 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

That was amazing and hilarious. [Loved the reality show aspect! A few people actually predicted it a couple weeks back on tumblr and I'm just like "how did you know?!"  So happy that Kinshiro and Atsushi made up, that part where Atsushi saved him was my favorite part of the episode. etc-love It was nice seeing the student council befriend the defense club too. ]

So...what are the chances of s2 now?  Things wrapped up pretty nicely but I want more. emot-frown

#69 | Back to Top03-24-2015 03:20:04 PM

malna
Caretaker

Nandatte?? [More better love making with wings!
Also, an-chan and Yumoto's memories of his nightly forest prowling with a hatchet ftw.
]

This was the craziest thing I have seen in a long time and I will miss it.

Last edited by malna (03-24-2015 03:21:04 PM)

a lot of hope in one man tent

#70 | Back to Top03-24-2015 07:25:41 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

The finale was pure brilliance.

[From Akoya, of all people, punching the press guy to everyone going Super Sailor Moon with wings, More Better indeed! And a Gundam! Zundar is adorable no matter what, he can destroy the Earth and wiggle his cute nose any day of the week as far as I'm concerned.
Really loved Kinshirou patching up things with At-chan but I wish that had been more the focus of the final episode. And kabuki rule! It also applies to 90& of all shounen series in which things come to a still whenever someone has to deliver an important line, too.
]

poptart for all! I would love a second season, too.

#71 | Back to Top03-25-2015 01:06:46 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Im gonna say we at least have a chance with Wom-chan still being on earth.  A 2nd season with all 8 boys fighting together OR with an inner-senshi x outer-senshi dynamic would be great. I love how the student council doesn't even question Yumoto's right as the leader who stands front & center emot-biggrin

#72 | Back to Top03-25-2015 09:56:44 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

You know what? I feel bad for the aliens that were watching that reality show, because it got pulled off the air right in the middle of the final fight! That's so cold, couldn't they have at least waited until the fight was over? emot-tongue Alien networks are even harsher than the ones on Earth! Now those sad alien fans will never know what happened.

#73 | Back to Top03-25-2015 10:41:13 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

HonorableShadow wrote:

A few people actually predicted it a couple weeks back on tumblr and I'm just like "how did you know?!"

Maybe because South Park did it back in 2003: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0705900/

Other than that, it was a spectacular finale. Zundar's little paws on the mecha controls! emot-biggrin

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#74 | Back to Top03-25-2015 03:17:36 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Is the first season done now? It looks like it's done now. That means I can watch it! I have a thing about watching TV where I have to wait until the whole season is out, then I watch it all at once.

I bet my girlfriend would love this - she likes Sailor Moon a lot more than she'd typically care to admit, and she's got a soft spot for Utena even if she doesn't love it like I do. emot-tongue

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#75 | Back to Top03-25-2015 04:03:26 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I need to catch up with this and YKA. Why thank you, computer meltdown! emot-mad

I have a fierce Best Boy Gero deficiency in my system. This cannot go on for long!!!

Board footer