This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-23-2006 12:59:29 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Alright, do Akio and Touga have sex or not?

Dani wrote:

Oh, yes, absolutely they are. Touga is sleeping with the boss and has been for awhile. He's in it to win it. And Anthy has somewhat defected and can't be trusted so Akio needs another sidekick to do his manipulating. What a relationship.

Also, I think, not totally sure, but I believe Akio doesn't start the camera thing until after Utena asks him to take a picture of her and Anthy when she notices that there are no pictures of Anthy ("Chu Chu, stop that." love the Anthy passive-aggressiveness in that scene, standing between Utena and Akio). Then Akio really seems to use the camera a lot. A way to capture people, a form of control.

emot-aaa Maybe that is why Akio got Touga, because Anthy can't be "trusted". Akio gets Anthy to do his dirty work, but the air between those two.. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lack of trust in Anthy when Utena came along and became so close to Anthy. Maybe that was why Akio wanted to "get to know" Utena so much, too. Hmm.

I loved that scene, too. Anthy was so "Don't steal my brother, bitch." Or "Don't steal my Utena, bitch." ?  Maybe both..

#52 | Back to Top11-22-2015 02:43:30 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Well I've clearly missed something that was made obvious. What the first episode that made clear Akio and Touga's relationship? (I don't remember anything about a bed).

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#53 | Back to Top11-22-2015 09:11:59 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

You'll find what you're looking for right after the duel in Episode 25.  emot-wink

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/25/Series_ep25_254.jpg?m=1380821990
http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/25/Series_ep25_258.jpg?m=1380821990
http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Akio_Arc/25/Series_ep25_259.jpg?m=1380821990

#54 | Back to Top11-22-2015 12:13:59 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

That is pretty blatant indeed. I wonder what the arguments on the other side are.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#55 | Back to Top11-22-2015 01:14:33 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Are you sure they aren't just yoga partners?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#56 | Back to Top11-24-2015 09:39:10 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm not worried about Akio and Touga.
What I want to know more about is Touga and Saionji. D:<

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#57 | Back to Top11-24-2015 12:03:39 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

I'm not worried about Akio and Touga.
What I want to know more about is Touga and Saionji. D:<

I too wonder about Saionji, not just regarding Touga but with Akio as well. I remember being more than a bit surprised when Saionji jois the 'dishevelled, rolling around bed' club. I'd love finding out just how that came about.

#58 | Back to Top12-02-2015 10:38:48 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Reading through this thread, all I can think is, "We didn't have an Akio Car Vibrator setting as a card in that cards against humanity thing.  What a waste."

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#59 | Back to Top06-08-2016 04:20:00 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

In the bottom image I like how there is a rose in the center of the bed that almost acts as though it wants to be a censor rose like during some of the duels. The point that rose appears to be closest to is Akio's  and Touga's hips. But what interests me the most, now that I look at the positioning of their silhouettes, is a similarity to the recurring scene where Utena and Anthy prepare to lie down in their respective beds near each other. In both scenarios two bodies are positioned in the camera so that they are crossing each other.

http://s33.postimg.org/7anubdjyj/utena_and_anthy_bed_1.jpg

http://s33.postimg.org/4ii27fjgr/utena_and_anthy_bed_2.jpg

Not only are the bodies crossing each other, yet at one point the bodies are leaning back and looking upwards. I'm not sure if this necessarily suggests similarities in relationship with Akio&Touga and Utena&Anthy yet I just figured that a comparison between the two is noteworthy.

More on this may come later...

#60 | Back to Top06-08-2016 05:40:10 PM

pesimistamente
Anthy Assailer

I always had the weird theory that Touga's state of existence was the same as Movie!Touga, and somehow Akio had control over the deceased (mostly because we don't get to explore the "self" or the background of Touga, as if it were lacking). If we follow this, Touga is somehow the projection of an abused child, brought back to this realm by a god only to be used again. I wonder if Movie!Akio hadn't been so awful, if he could have had some control over Touga in the movie as well.

#61 | Back to Top06-08-2016 05:44:43 PM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

deeds24 wrote:

In the bottom image I like how there is a rose in the center of the bed that almost acts as though it wants to be a censor rose like during some of the duels. The point that rose appears to be closest to is Akio's  and Touga's hips. But what interests me the most, now that I look at the positioning of their silhouettes, is a similarity to the recurring scene where Utena and Anthy prepare to lie down in their respective beds near each other. In both scenarios two bodies are positioned in the camera so that they are crossing each other.

http://s33.postimg.org/7anubdjyj/utena_ … _bed_1.jpg

http://s33.postimg.org/4ii27fjgr/utena_ … _bed_2.jpg

Not only are the bodies crossing each other, yet at one point the bodies are leaning back and looking upwards. I'm not sure if this necessarily suggests similarities in relationship with Akio&Touga and Utena&Anthy yet I just figured that a comparison between the two is noteworthy.

Well, Akio and Anthy are certainly counterparts, and Touga is Utena's rival; so there is some natural correspondence.

Are there any other instances of such a motion? I thought of the Ruka's & Shiori's gasps during their Akio Car scene [since I've seen it ten thousand times since it's like the first thing that comes up for Utena on Youtube]. That would suggest the pose to be indicative of sex. But their motions are in the same, not ,directions. Could it then indicate heterosexuality to facing homosexuality? Or perhaps emphasize the dishonesty of Ruka's & Shiori's relationship? But isn't Utena's & Anthy's deceitful too (though not really at the shown moment). Or it could be nothing.

Also, looking at that gallery I noticed this, which is recurrent in the duels and kind of similar, more to Utena's & Anthy's than to Touga's & Akio's. But I think that this is definitely nothing.

Last edited by Amasis (06-08-2016 05:55:03 PM)

#62 | Back to Top06-08-2016 06:13:54 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Amasis wrote:

deeds24 wrote:

http://s33.postimg.org/7anubdjyj/utena_ … _bed_1.jpg

http://s33.postimg.org/4ii27fjgr/utena_ … _bed_2.jpg

Well, Akio and Anthy are certainly counterparts, and Touga is Utena's rival; so there is some natural correspondence.

Are there any other instances of such a motion? I thought of the Ruka's & Shiori's gasps during their Akio Car scene [since I've seen it ten thousand times since it's like the first thing that comes up for Utena on Youtube]. That would suggest the pose to be indicative of sex. But their motions are in the same, not ,directions. Could it then indicate heterosexuality to facing homosexuality? Or perhaps emphasize the dishonesty of Ruka's & Shiori's relationship? But isn't Utena's & Anthy's deceitful too (though not really at the shown moment). Or it could be nothing.

Also, looking at that gallery I noticed this, which is recurrent in the duels and kind of similar, more to Utena's & Anthy's than to Touga's & Akio's. But I think that this is definitely nothing.

*Gasps* I think you're onto something there with the suggestion that Ruka's and Shiori's motion in the car scene is indicative of heterosexuality as opposed to homosexuality with the other mentioned scenes. Since there seems to be an importance with silhouettes in SKU I think the image from episode 28 is noteworthy. However, I'm not sure whether silhouettes in duel scenes add to sexual relationship commentary between characters, other types of relationships, or both. Now I feel like I need to rewatch all the duel scenes.

#63 | Back to Top06-11-2016 06:46:45 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

deeds24 wrote:

In both scenarios two bodies are positioned in the camera so that they are crossing each other.

I love the comparison! But I think the difference is betrayed in the shots around those. We find out pretty quickly that Anthy and Utena aren't about to 69, though the falling placement of their heads (and seriously, the shape of the bed) do suggest it. Touga and Akio cross on the finishing shot, which is led up to by progressive states of undress and self-groping. Which I'd say is relevant since Anthy and Utena are probably much more 'in the moment' with each other in their scenes than Akio and Touga are in theirs--they're both basically masturbating with the body of another, each too keenly aware of their own motives and selfish (physical and otherwise) interest in the goings on to really call it a super 'intimate' moment. In fact, they don't even face each other leading up to it, though you could take the positioning in those shots as reticence on Touga's part if you really want to go with 'it's rape because he's a minor.'

What the scenes do have in common is generally emotionally charged conversations happening when characters are deliberately not looking eye to eye--in Touga's case, he's facing all the fuck away while Akio says he fucking rotten person. In Utena and Anthy's, Utena can look earnestly toward Anthy while Anthy says things she needs to stare off at the ceiling to get out.

Ruka and Shiori are made pretty plain by their shots, which are compared even to Akio and Touga's are rather graphic in how obvious they are. I almost wonder if that's because they are on the continuum less 'fucking horrible and objectionable,' and so less burdened by reasonable television censorship standards? The only other scene that is that undeniably sex is Akio and Utena. I mean, maybe Akio and Anthy just like naked tea, who are we to judge?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#64 | Back to Top06-11-2016 08:46:56 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Giovanna wrote:

We find out pretty quickly that Anthy and Utena aren't about to 69, though the falling placement of their heads (and seriously, the shape of the bed) do suggest it.

The position of the beds and the Anthy and Utena's relative body positions reminds me of the yin and yang representation:

http://66.media.tumblr.com/b41e29b3e7f3d504facd77f2ae6d31d8/tumblr_n9hi03WLvb1qezh86o2_500.png

Giovanna wrote:

I mean, maybe Akio and Anthy just like naked tea, who are we to judge?

This should be a thing! Naked tea for the win.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (06-11-2016 08:50:47 AM)

Board footer