This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top10-18-2006 09:05:32 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

Re: [Welcome] Introduce yourself here!!

Hi! I'm Laurie, yet another transplant from alt.fan.utena.

*waves to Katherine, Vince and Mark*

I discovered Utena back in 1999, when a friend of a friend provided the episodes taped directly from Japanese TV. Obviously no subtitles. Given that my comprehension of spoken Japanese was almost non-existant then, it was a surreal experience.  After that first time that Utena opens the gate and the drop of water shoots out to strike her ring, I was hooked.  Have never become un-hooked.

I love the series! It's still my all-time favorite anime. I find the manga rather bland.  The movie I find bizarre and depressing.  Haven't seen the musical but want to.

My favorite character is Saionji.  Can't explain that at all, as in real life I would abhor a person like that.

Other anime/manga I especially like include Ranma, Sailor Moon, Bleach, Hellsing and most recently, Princess Tutu.

I like to draw and paint, and write, so make Utena fanart and fanfics.  *plug website!* And a few of my pics are hosted in the fandom section here at EM, my "Boys of Ohtori" series.  I also knit, and read, and study linguistics.  But those don't manifest too much Utena, at least until I decide how to work the Ohtori rose crest into a sweater.

This place has only been open a few days, and already it's attracted an incredible international crowd. Now to journey on and read the rest of the threads.

Laurie

#77 | Back to Top10-18-2006 09:57:19 PM

Coin
Wakaba Wrangler

(I'll just pretend people are reading all the way to the end of this thread for my own peace of mind, I guess *grin*)

Hiya, super-cool Utena fans!  I'm a 21 year old girl from Northern California.  A friend introduced me to SKU in my sophomore year of high school, 1999, I think.  It took me forever to see the whole series, but it was worth the wait.  After seeing the first arc I liked it, but after the final episode... etc-love  I like Utena so much because I have a weakness for heavy symbolism (thank you, Advanced Placement English) and flirting with gender boundaries.  Plus the art and the music...!  I've seen a lot of anime that I've enjoyed but SKU is really the whole package.  Anyway, I found Empty Movement looking for Utena art and admired the incredible gallery, but the analysis essays were really awesome.  etc-wankgirl  (Eeee, bad, bad smiley)  And now a forum!  I'm going to try not to lurk ('cause I'm shy emot-aaa ) and I can see from reading this thread there are a lot of interesting people here already.  Ummmm... Haibane Renmei and Samurai Champloo are a couple of great anime I've seen lately and I enjoy reading anything I can get my hands on and a little doodling.  Also, World of Warcraft owns me. Level 20 warlock on Crushridge named Cersai. Wheeeeee!

Oh, and, by the way, only one thing bothers me about Utena... the movie.  It still bugs me that it was even more bizarre than the series.  I can't look at the art without thinking "wtf?"

Last edited by Coin (10-18-2006 10:03:00 PM)

#78 | Back to Top10-18-2006 10:04:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Coin wrote:

(I'll just pretend people are reading all the way to the end of this thread for my own peace of mind, I guess *grin*)

I'm reading! Welcome!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#79 | Back to Top10-18-2006 10:31:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Professor Plum wrote:

Guess what, folks, you now have a forum mom and dad. school-freud

Considering the role of parents in SKU, this bodes poorly for you too.

Stay away from cars and son-in-laws.

.deep.blue. wrote:

Also, if you want pictures of some of the dishes that I have taken pictures of, here's a link:

emot-aaa

You. Marry me.

But first post cooking threads, even though I'm now pathetically intimidated to post ones myself. I've been owned. emot-frown

Yasha wrote:

Coin wrote:

I'm reading! Welcome!

I'm reading, too! I'm still totally floored by how fast this forum has grown in a couple days. You all deserve candy.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#80 | Back to Top10-19-2006 12:25:52 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Hello everybody my name is Tania, I'm 19 years old and mexican.
As many of you I am a big Utena fan back from the dawn of this millenia when I was starting to get into anime fandom.(before I was just an ocasional liker) One friend told me Utena was airing on mexican cable and demanded me to see it. I didn't know anything about Utena then and I was inmediately allured by this anime. At first sight it seemed like another magical girl themed series but from time to time I just got the sense something had to be wrong on the background. (one of my first memories of Utena is Touga throwing Sainji letter to the fire just after he promised to stand for him)

As I kept watching each chapter I found out the my bad feelings of the skeletons in the closet got confirmed... and I loved it. I waited patiently each week for a new chapter and at the return of Sainji as a duelist the series was repeated... then cancelled. It left me wanting for more and it would pass a year or too before I discovered the joys of downloading fansubs(algong with the joys of having internet XD)  Utena was the very first series I downloaded I never regret all the waiting I had to do.
I follow the empty movement site for some years now,  you always seem to have the biggest selection of everything Utena related and the love for the series to keep updating even almost a decade the series ended.

I am glad you opened a forum, people wanting discusing of Utena have become very hard to find lately. I don't dance, sing, do decent fanart or fics or cosplay but I will try to my best to be useful to the comunity emot-smile

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#81 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:24:49 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Sephigirl wrote:

Hey All

I'm Katherine - *waves to everyone and my fellow afu'ers*

Still posting to AFU, still love to discuss Utena!

Hm - grew up as an AF brat so I've lived all over the US, in Germany and in Guam.  Currently mired in Nebraska for too many years.

I won't give my age, but I believe I'm the oldest person here - so clean your rooms, and for gawd's sake, tell them crazy Student Council kids to keep their clothes on! 

Um - I've been a fan of Utena for . . . 6+ years (lost count).  My friend Anj loved the show - she wanted to seduce me to the anime side, so she showed a pic of Touga & Saio - she knew I'd love Touga and she was right. 

I'm also new to anime - well maybe not as much now.

I am a major Touga fan (he can do no wrong - well, most of the wrong he does - I love him all the more for it), plus love my fellow Sag - Mikage (who can resist a lost-soul, nerd?), then Akio's there because who can tell that man no?  I couldn't. 

Dislike Nanami, Anthy, and Saionji.  Should I put that more gently?  Not as fond of?

I'm a writer - finished two manuscripts - just have to get them submitted - just lazy.  Working on another novel and framing three others.

For pure fun - I also love to write BAD, painfully BAD fanfics.  Tho' I am seriously working on two Utena fanfics.

And I love animals, most esp. kitties!  Oh - and broody boys.  With long hair.  And long legs.  And tiny hips.

*GLOMP*

How you? emot-dance

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#82 | Back to Top10-19-2006 09:42:48 AM

.deep.blue.
Miki Molester

Giovanna wrote:

emot-aaa

You. Marry me.

But first post cooking threads, even though I'm now pathetically intimidated to post ones myself. I've been owned. emot-frown

Lol..

Don't feel intimidated :\ Just because I went to cooking school doesn't mean everyone else sucks at cooking. Cooking is supposed to be fun emot-keke

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/_deep_blue_/Astarot/asatarotsig.gif

emot-keke

#83 | Back to Top10-19-2006 10:37:34 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

.deep.blue. wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

emot-aaa

You. Marry me.

Lol..

Don't feel intimidated :\ Just because I went to cooking school doesn't mean everyone else sucks at cooking. Cooking is supposed to be fun emot-keke

Damn you. Post a thread about cooking school, I want to ask questions and the intro thread isn't the place for it.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#84 | Back to Top10-19-2006 05:15:36 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Well, I read through the first and last pages of the introduction thread.  I would have read more, but I've been busy.

Anyway, hello, I am Cerise.  At least here.  I'm also known as Sunnie on alt.fan.utena (and alt.fan.sailor-moon for that matter).  I remember first hearing about SKU back in the heyday of AFSM in the mid to late 90s, although I didn't actually get to watch the show until 2001 or early 2002.  I was hooked from the start.  I think a large part of what drew me was simply the fact that I liked the main character.  This has always been a rare occurence for me, I tend to love side characters and often hate leads.  Not only did I like Tenjou Utena, she was my favorite character of the series, the first time that had happened (and it's still quite rare for me).

Aside from Utena herself, I enjoy the other two leads, Akio and Anthy, as well.  I've never been the type to like 'villains', but Akio has to be one of the most devious, believeable, and irresistible villains I've come across in any medium.  He has a charm that's completely unnerving simply because I know I would probably fall for it myself if I were a character.  Usually I can't relate to characters being manipulated, but with Akio holding the strings, it seems very belieavable to me.

Let's see, my other interests are anime (not just a SKU fan, although it's my favorite), reading (preferably non-fiction regarding foreign cultures), and a bunch of other stuff that no one really cares about anyway.  Although I am lucky enough to be married to a man who also adores SKU and anime, so it makes for some very interesting discussions before bed many nights.  SKU is just so great for that, particularly if you combine it with a few other series and consider how the characters might interact.  Good times, good times.

#85 | Back to Top10-19-2006 10:25:40 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Hello, all. My internet nom de plume is Dallbun, and I'm a college student. I first ran into Utena the same way I encountered many other serieses during my early fandom - through low quality .rm files (in this case, of a couple of first-season episodes). Then I saw the Utena AMVs of the inestimable Kestrel, which hooked me completely. Seriously, you have no idea how awesome the Black Rose Saga seems when your only knowledge of it is through Kestrel's "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" video and you think the Black Rose Duelists fight each other. The audioplay version of "Scenes from an Elevator" also instilled in me an early love of fanworks.

My contribution to anime fandom takes the form of Sailor Moon-based MSTings on my website; when I started, I was strongly inspired by Chris Rain's Revolutionary Science Theater (http://www.mindspring.com/~khabal/www/rst3k.htm). I think the creative energy of fan communities is their most wonderful attribute. Though it's shocking how bad some fanfics can get. Dear god.

I'm not good at being active on forums, but I'll hopefully post a little once in a while. Nice to meet you all.

#86 | Back to Top10-20-2006 09:23:14 AM

Roberto
New Student

I'm Roberto, it's my nick and my real name, without honorifics please! emot-keke

First of all, Thanks to Giovanna and Yasha for this forum and the Empty Movement.

Second, sorry for my english, i know that is not sufficiently correct to be appraised by some people. My native language is portuguese. Everybody, feel free to correct me!

I live in São Paulo, Brazil. I like SKU since it's only a manga. After the anime, the music of Seazer make me an unconditional fan of SKU. emot-wink

I love to cook. This is my culinary skills in decrescent order: Japanese, italian, brazilian, portuguese, spanish, libanese and german.

My friends say that i am NERD, science geek. As exemple, I read the entirety work of Jung to better understand SKU.

Finishing, i am very happy for opportunity to discuss about SKU. I have several opinions, ideas, conjectures and feelings about SKU. I hope this forum will be the space for that.

Hugs to everybody!

Roberto

#87 | Back to Top10-20-2006 09:31:25 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Roberto wrote:

Happy things!

Hugs back, Roberto! Welcome! Maybe we can find some other nerds to discuss psychology with. emot-smile

#88 | Back to Top10-20-2006 10:08:19 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I missed this, because I am rabid and went directly to the Utena forum with blatant disregard for the General forum and its delights. I'm Ivy-chan online and on Gaia, Serendipity1 on fanfiction.net, and my real name shall never be disclosed, mwahahahaha!!!!!!!exclamation pointsquared.

My skills include writing, drawing, any number of useless things like making the best peanut butter and jelly  sandwich known to man, and focusing on small, seemingly-irrelevant details and trying to make them more important than they truly are. I'm the starving-artist type who's trying to write a novel but constantly gets waylaid by real life craziness.

I used to be a big anime fan, but I've grown picky. Mostly I watch recommended anime only, now. My all-time favorite is still SKU, although Gankutsuou eclipsed it for a while. My favorite characters, male and female, are Mikage/Nemuro and Anthy.

Last edited by Ivy-chan (10-20-2006 10:34:48 AM)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#89 | Back to Top10-20-2006 08:12:35 PM

Rampala
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hello all!

My name is Natalie Rose and here I am... introducing myself.  Woo!

I'm an anime fan in general, but Shoujo Kakumei Utena is by far my favorite anime/television show (American ones included).  And to prove my insanity, some of the Utena merchandise I have acquired as follows:

-The entire series on DVD and the special edition of the movie (includes commentary by Ikuhara) on DVD
-The first volume of Utena ("Crest of the Rose") on VHS-- just because I saw it all lonely like in a bargain bin
-All six volumes of the manga (the original plus the movie manga) in both English and Japanese (they're two seperate sets of books)
-All 5 Series Filmbooks
-All 8 Soundtracks
-A replica of the Duelist Ring
-Anthy Sega REAL Doll Figure with CD, Stand, + Chu Chu (I bought it used, so no trading card)
-Utena Trading Cards: A complete set of the Amada PP cards and about 1/3 of Cardass Masters Series 2, the 3 sega saturn cards, oh and 6 out of 7 of the Movic Lami cards
-Official Utena Paper Dolls
-An Adolescence of Utena fan (with this image)
-The Art of Utena Artbook
-A bunch of wallscrolls posters:
This wallscroll with a orange/yellow background
This, This, This, and This, as posters
And a wallscroll of movie art which I haven't seen anywhere except on said wallscroll.  (When you can't even find it in the Ohtori.nu gallery, you know it's obscure-- right?)
-Various (and somewhat disconcerting) Doujinshi
-Utena Stickers

I also arranged all the piano sheet music from the movie into a PDF and printed it out, but don't really count it as I don't (yet-- maybe when I'm not a poor college student choosing Utena things over eating) own it.  I had an Utena pin, too, but I lost it... emot-frown

So, yes, I would be certifiable on the insane. 

I blame Utena for... oh, so much.  I was never an obsessive person... and then there was Utena.  After I finished exposing my roommate to Utena, she stopped sleeping (and loves it so).  I now do weekly screenings in my dorm room to expose as many innocent minds to the horror--err, the glory that is Utena as possible.

I enjoy making Utena icons and run Utena Choir over at LiveJournal (please join! We're still getting on our feet and could really use some more contributing members).   I also run Anime Cards as well, which could desperately use some members-- esepcially fellow Utena card collectors.  (I completed my Amada PP collection thanks to the community). 

I love talking with fellow Utena enthusiasts as the series has so much to offer and so many things that beg for intelligent discourse (and how many fandoms out their today promote such things)?

This being my fourth time through the series, I've actually grown to love all the characters (though, any fond feelings I've developed for Akio are purely Giovanna's fault with the bloody Akio shrine).  My favorite, though, if forced to pick one, would probably be Anthy.  She's incredibly intelligent, clever, coy, kind, warm-hearted, multilayered, a Goddess-- as far as I'm concerned, and a slave to her own heart.  And she's just the sexiest thing ever.

Utena as a series has simply gotten into my head, in the best possible way.  To a lot of people I'm sure Utena is just an anime.  To me, it's a piece of art, and one that has touched my life in numerous ways.  Last term as part of a composition class I was in, I wrote a 10-minute piece for flute, oboe, trumpet, piano and snare drum which I fondly titled "shoujo kakumei" or "Revolutionary Girls."  It's supposed to be parallelling the themes presented in Utena with "real life" and examining the idea of one's own personal revolution.  A friend of mine, who's a recording student, is actually working with me this term to get a better recording of it, in case anyone is ever interested in hearing it (unlikely, but possible!). 

Well, I think I'll take my full-fledged crazy over here for the moment and I look forward to getting to know all of you better!

Last edited by Rampala (10-21-2006 12:27:52 AM)

#90 | Back to Top10-20-2006 09:01:51 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

uh...*shy* emot-redface

Hi all, Beth here. actually this is not just my first time in this forum...
its my first time in any forum... be gentle!

i as an utena fan, have always searched for a place to speak about my rantings on utena
i usualy rant to my BF but he just doesnt get the special brand of otaku that the SKU community seems to be.

very loving and supportive one most of the time.

i migrated here after the "death" of another beloved utena fansite "blood soaked, honor bound"
and i havent left sence!

i hope to add a little slice of what we all truly want in this forum...

pure unadulturated utena dork talk!!! school-devil

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#91 | Back to Top10-20-2006 11:37:30 PM

Cruelly Innocent
New Student

Ivy-chan wrote:

I'm Ivy-chan online and on Gaia, Serendipity1 on fanfiction.net, and my real name shall never be disclosed, mwahahahaha!!!!!!!exclamation pointsquared.

You told me your real name once, but I forgot it.

PS: My mom makes the world's best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. So there.

#92 | Back to Top10-21-2006 12:21:04 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Ivy-chan wrote:

I missed this, because I am rabid and went directly to the Utena forum with blatant disregard for the General forum and its delights. I'm Ivy-chan online and on Gaia, Serendipity1 on fanfiction.net, and my real name shall never be disclosed, mwahahahaha!!!!!!!exclamation pointsquared.

I've read some of your work on Fanfiction.net. You're a very skilled writer. In of all of Fanfiction.net, there are a total of two fanfictions I've read that I feel have good views on Shiori, and yours is one of them. Thank you for writing it. ^.^

I post of Gaia as well. My account name is Razara. The Utena guild that I joined on Gaia wasn't active, so I was happy see this forum open. :3

#93 | Back to Top10-21-2006 06:29:39 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Rampala wrote:

I'm an anime fan in general, but Shoujo Kakumei Utena is by far my favorite anime/television show (American ones included).  And to prove my insanity, some of the Utena merchandise I have acquired as follows:

-The entire series on DVD and the special edition of the movie (includes commentary by Ikuhara) on DVD
-The first volume of Utena ("Crest of the Rose") on VHS-- just because I saw it all lonely like in a bargain bin
-All six volumes of the manga (the original plus the movie manga) in both English and Japanese (they're two seperate sets of books)
-All 5 Series Filmbooks
-All 8 Soundtracks
-A replica of the Duelist Ring
-Anthy Sega REAL Doll Figure with CD, Stand, + Chu Chu (I bought it used, so no trading card)
-Utena Trading Cards: A complete set of the Amada PP cards and about 1/3 of Cardass Masters Series 2, the 3 sega saturn cards, oh and 6 out of 7 of the Movic Lami cards
-Official Utena Paper Dolls
-An Adolescence of Utena fan (with this image)
-The Art of Utena Artbook
-A bunch of wallscrolls posters:
This wallscroll with a orange/yellow background
This, This, This, and This, as posters
And a wallscroll of movie art which I haven't seen anywhere except on said wallscroll.  (When you can't even find it in the Ohtori.nu gallery, you know it's obscure-- right?)
-Various (and somewhat disconcerting) Doujinshi
-Utena Stickers

I was wondering if it was possible to get any of those (except the mangas) without a credit card? I can't seem to find a way.
ohh, why did I have to be born here in this god-forsaken country!?

Ah, and hellooo!
There are 100 members now. Woooo!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#94 | Back to Top10-21-2006 10:50:23 AM

Touga's_Disciple
Saionji Slapper

Hello there! I am 5 days late on this forum and there are so many members!!! wow!

My name is Jonathan, I live in Venezuela and i'm 26. I first watched Utena on 1999 on a fansub presentation an i loved it since first time!
Since then, i was looking over internet information about the series and everything that has some relation about it and, i found EM. It was a relief
for me to know that some other people was so interested about Utena and had a lot of info an images, and mp3, and open-mind comments!

I'm not good at writing, ask Yasha about that. And same to Roberto, my native language is not english, but spanish, so forgive me if I write something bad...emot-frown

I have on my possesion the "this is Animation" artbook, and have downoaded all the 8 soundtracks of the series, and not to mention that i have partially subbed
Utena to Spanish, and i promised to publish the scripts on EM... Yasha, i will send then ASAP. And i will do the subbing thing to the movie in spanish, too!!

Also, with some friends, have made a module for an RPG system called Exalted to play in Ohtori Academy... just like the series, of course.
I haven't write all the rules, but some of them and they are in spanish... If someone is interested I will do the translations so we can share this.

Well, that,s all for no, i will design an avatar soon... don't have tme now. cool

Edit: I also have a character in maple story and one on Lineage 2 (isoGames), but i don't play so much the one in maple story...

Last edited by Touga's_Disciple (10-21-2006 11:56:01 AM)

"... and all of this is all an illusion. You will wake up, open your eyes and see that you are alone, in the middle of the night, crying and wishing to have someone by your side holding you and wiping out those tears.

That will be also an Illusion."

#95 | Back to Top10-21-2006 12:47:54 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

First I'd like to apologize for only skimming through this thread, but it's already four pages and I'm known to suffer through bouts of apathy. (I'm currently on my twenty-fifth year of it.)

My name is Andrew and my claim to e-fame is having donated the drama track from the Sega Utena figure. Although I could never make it through listening to the whole thing myself...

That should be more than anyone needs to know about me. It took me ten extra minutes to register here because I wanted to think of a new, exciting screen name to use. Then I gave up and went with my usual handle.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#96 | Back to Top10-21-2006 06:54:56 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Razara wrote:

I've read some of your work on Fanfiction.net. You're a very skilled writer. In of all of Fanfiction.net, there are a total of two fanfictions I've read that I feel have good views on Shiori, and yours is one of them. Thank you for writing it. ^.^

I post of Gaia as well. My account name is Razara. The Utena guild that I joined on Gaia wasn't active, so I was happy see this forum open. :3

Thanks for the compliment. etc-love

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#97 | Back to Top10-21-2006 09:48:13 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

HIIIIII!!!!!

I'm Hyacinth Black!  You can call me Hyacinth! emot-keke YAY! Now we're not strangers anymore, so I guess it's okay for us to talk!

I love Jhonen Vasquez! He is my one true love & I will marry him some day! Jhonen = etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

Yes... I love Jhonen...

I also love SKU! My favorite characters are Nanami, Wakaba, & Juri!

I love you too!  But please, keep it in your pants, okay?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#98 | Back to Top10-21-2006 10:05:17 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Hello, I'm jmie5, an old sn for sake of habit, convenience, and memory on my part.

Ah, anyway, I am a twenty-one year old college student, English major, in Maryland.  That's how I first got started with Utena; a few years ago my friend introduced it to me in her room, and the only thing that clearly stuck in my head was "the yami song," Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku.  Well, I downloaded that on Bearshare the next year, and I re-found Utena on Youtube this year (because I'm a member of Broke Phi Broke,) and now with my friend gone, I can still watch the show where I left off and sing that nifty "yami song."

I'm mostly in Utena for the music.  I'm not a music major, so I don't know how to word this, but anything in a minor key, especially something that sounds "pretty," and especially anything with harmony in it rocks my socks.  Therefore, Zettai in all its versions is my favorite song of the series and has kept me interested in Utena all those years I didn't have access to it.   Aside from all that, bring on the music, the beautiful harmony of ungodly shiz going down between a bunch of kids and arguably one adult in the sky!  I can't believe a mere school council gets an organ theme like that.  I'm sure villains of other anime would be jealous of the musical appreciation and emphasis those kids get.

Out of all of them, Saionji is my favorite character, and I'm not sure why.  I try to be rational about him, considering all his character flaws, etc, because I can't stand overly sympathetic readings of characters in general ("Grendel" by John C. Gardner for example, if there are any other English majors out there.) The point is for all his slapping and raging, he just stays as my favorite.  I believe he was a very rational child, and whatever went down in under a decade, well... that's not important to me, just how he's changed appears to be very much. (Stays the heck away from any major character musings/analysis.) I'll just leave it at I'm biased enough to stay away from the movie.  Well, for Saionji's sake and how Anthy is drawn.

In short:  I'm very happy to be in an active Utena-friendly place.  emot-keke  Hope I didn't say too much.

Last edited by jmie5 (10-22-2006 01:00:11 AM)

#99 | Back to Top10-21-2006 10:37:10 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Hi everyone!

Looks like I'm a late arrival (for a forum that's only been open a week or so XD) I'm Ger, Hong Kong Chinese currently living in the United States, just moved back after living in Japan for the last 3 years. I speak the language kinda sorta reasonably ok. vemot-keke;;; I first watched Utena in 2002 on 100000th generation VHS fansub tapes, which by the end had fuzzy picture, no sound, and were half-eaten by the VCR. I have since acquired DVDs. My favorite Utena character is Mikage, though Saionji and Ruka are close behind....

I find it funny that so many people are also citing Saionji as one of their favorites, though most of you don't quite know why. I don't really have a concrete answer either, except that I think Mikage, Ruka, and Saionji all showcase the type of person I'd never want to be, but deep down, have bits and pieces of.

I write anime fanfiction. emot-biggrin I have a fic or two on Empty Movement, I think...

Um...my favorite anime series are Macross (anything), Gundam (most anything), Fushigi Yuugi, and....Utena XD

I run
Saionji fansite Something Eternal
Ruka fansite Seraphitus

Also the anime_reboot community on Livejournal, where people recap their favorite anime series over a span of one or two months. Utena's on the schedule for November. emot-dance

Yoroshiku!

Last edited by Ger (10-21-2006 10:44:34 PM)

#100 | Back to Top10-22-2006 01:01:32 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Hello all. I'm Blake, Silicon Valley's resident Juri fanboy. Or at least one of them. I watched the entire series and the movie on YouTube and I'm seriously considering buying all the DVDs. As soon as I pay off my new computer, anyway.

Ruka and Saionji are my least favorite characters in the series, but they're also the ones I have the most in common with. Maybe that's why I don't like them.

Anyway, I'm thrilled that the forums are up and running.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer