This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-30-2018 10:12:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Beautiful Thorns (next Saito manga) Translation Time

Edit: OKAY IT'S NOW HERE:

Untranslated, 58pg: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … Thorns.zip like 70ish MB

Alternatively if you're willing to download in two files I also have it on the domain:

Beautiful Thorns (Untranslated) 1 of 2
Beautiful Thorns (Untranslated) 2 of 2

I got a hold of Ayu who will hopefully pop in here soon now that it's done. emot-smile You guys do your magic!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top01-31-2018 08:07:37 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: Beautiful Thorns (next Saito manga) Translation Time

I think the plan is that you gather the wheat, Ayu Ohseki grinds the wheat, it goes back to you to bake, and then I help you eat the bread.

Seriously, though, Ayu Ohseki expressed her eagerness to translate it. Depending on the timing, I may be able to quickly transcribe the Japanese text like I did last time, to make it easier for her to work with and for you to know what text goes where.

#3 | Back to Top02-01-2018 05:27:30 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oops I dropped something...

Beautiful Thorns (Untranslated) 1 of 2 (first half of the manga) (about 45mb)

I feel bad not finishing it but my back is really bothering me and I think 10 hours of image processing is enough for today. They printed this one with fucking blue ink so it scans even worse compared to the first one. I've had to do way more work on each page. I left some printing noise and such where the text is, since I'm going to have to go back and erase all of that anyway.

I swear the blue ink is like...copyright protection or something to keep people like me from doing this. emot-mad I'll e-mail Ayu.

Edit: I'm Giovanna. Ignore the avatar.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top02-02-2018 03:41:36 PM

PerennialCurbstomp
New Student

These are wonderful!! Every outfit in this just slays! etc-love
Thank you to all who brought this to us! Can't wait to go back and read later.

Between fossil colored lipgloss...

#5 | Back to Top02-02-2018 11:18:13 PM

Emperatrizayumi
New Student

OH WOW!!! This looks pretty amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing it! Now I can't wait for part 2.

I wish I could find "After Revolution" I can't find it anywhere...emot-confusedemot-confused

#6 | Back to Top02-03-2018 12:54:17 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It's right on the website, hun. emot-smile

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/20th-Manga/Aft … Revolution

It's the scanlation!

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top02-03-2018 07:52:08 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

OK LOSERS here's the other half this has been fucking hell

Beautiful Thorns (Untranslated) 2 of 2 (first half of the manga) (about 32mb)

Please translate, the Russian site already has. XD

If you didn't grab the first half, the whole thing is here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … Thorns.zip

#8 | Back to Top02-03-2018 12:38:19 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Man, the Russians are fast.

I've done an initial read! This should be pretty quick/easy to translate. Dallbun, if you're willing to transcribe the manga, that would be a great help--I can start as is, but it was really helpful for the editing process last time, and I think that'd remain true this time too.

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#9 | Back to Top02-03-2018 01:37:39 PM

Dallbun

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

Man, the Russians are fast.

"Mr. President, we must not allow an Utena gap!"

I've done an initial read! This should be pretty quick/easy to translate. Dallbun, if you're willing to transcribe the manga, that would be a great help--I can start as is, but it was really helpful for the editing process last time, and I think that'd remain true this time too.

Sure, I should be able to do a good chunk tonight. Glad to help!

Last edited by Dallbun (02-03-2018 01:41:01 PM)

#10 | Back to Top02-03-2018 03:47:41 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

Sure, I should be able to do a good chunk tonight. Glad to help!

Thanks a bunch! I just finished the first draft of the translation--I'll merge it with your transcription once you put it up, and we can all work on editing from there.

"My brother's partner would have to be ‬attractive in face and figure,‭ ‬good at all sports,‭ ‬excellent in her studies,‭ ‬quick-witted, pretty‬ and pure of heart... luxurious and gorgeous, smooth sailing, auspicious for all occasions, born of the Pure Land, a beauty fated to die young, scandalous max, and vexatiously mysterious, at the very least!" --Kiryuu Nanami

#11 | Back to Top02-03-2018 03:59:24 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Or... whoever's working on editing, I guess? Do we have anyone on that? The script is not complicated but there's a point where I scratched my head, and you never know when someone might have insight on how to phrase something or what's going on in the dialogue or what have you that improves the script.

#12 | Back to Top02-03-2018 04:19:40 PM

Dallbun

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

Or... whoever's working on editing, I guess? Do we have anyone on that? The script is not complicated but there's a point where I scratched my head, and you never know when someone might have insight on how to phrase something or what's going on in the dialogue or what have you that improves the script.

Well, even if there's not much that needs editing, I assume its useful to Gio to be able to visually confirm what English text matches which part of the original. If you're done on your end, I'll try to transcribe the whole thing tonight too, baby willing. It doesn't take too long.

Last edited by Dallbun (02-03-2018 04:23:30 PM)

#13 | Back to Top02-03-2018 04:56:57 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

Well, even if there's not much that needs editing, I assume its useful to Gio to be able to visually confirm what English text matches which part of the original. If you're done on your end, I'll try to transcribe the whole thing tonight too, baby willing. It doesn't take too long.

Yeah, for sure.

As a note, I did do alternate translations of several lines this time--I refrained last time, but a lot of suggestions then were aimed towards rephrasing various lines, so I figure it'd be useful to include them.

#14 | Back to Top02-03-2018 06:01:38 PM

Dallbun

Here's the transcription so far. I have an open moment right now so I'm trying to grind through what I can.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jp5 … sp=sharing

#15 | Back to Top02-03-2018 08:53:35 PM

Dallbun

All done, at the same link as above.

#16 | Back to Top02-03-2018 11:07:57 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

Thanks a ton! I'll pop in the translations as soon as I can. once I'm able to access the file, but I imagine that'll have to wait 'til you're online next.

Last edited by Ayu Ohseki (02-03-2018 11:17:18 PM)

#17 | Back to Top02-04-2018 01:56:30 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

MUAHAHAHAHA excellent.

I'll start stripping the text! I work for three nights after this but I can work on scanlations during break since that doesn't need the huge media box.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#18 | Back to Top02-04-2018 06:40:27 AM

Dallbun

Ayu Ohseki wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Thanks a ton! I'll pop in the translations as soon as I can. once I'm able to access the file, but I imagine that'll have to wait 'til you're online next.

Sorry, I thought you'd be able to just make your own copy of it and work from there, which is what I remember you doing last time. I've switched it to allow editing if you want to work on this copy specifically.

EDIT: I see, I made a mistake with the permissions. Anyone can now see it and comment, and the relevant people should be able to edit. Sorry about that!

Last edited by Dallbun (02-04-2018 07:21:23 AM)

#19 | Back to Top02-04-2018 10:45:33 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hey hey! I've stripped the text and will start working on adding the translation in once it has gone through editing and such. I can't edit for the Japanese but I'll edit for English and such if necessary as I put the content in. Awesome work guys. emot-biggrin

#20 | Back to Top02-04-2018 02:44:27 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Dallbun wrote:

EDIT: I see, I made a mistake with the permissions. Anyone can now see it and comment, and the relevant people should be able to edit. Sorry about that!

No worries, it's all good! I just finished C/P'ing the translation into the G-Docs, along with various notes and alternate translations. There's two points that I think need discussion--one where I think there might be a typo in the Japanese version, another where I'm not sure what non-Japanese thing the script is trying to reference--which are notated, too. Otherwise I think it should be simple enough to go "let's go with this translation over that translation" and suggest alternate wordings and so on and so forth.

#21 | Back to Top02-04-2018 02:47:12 PM

Ayu Ohseki
Miki Molester

Giovanna wrote:

Hey hey! I've stripped the text and will start working on adding the translation in once it has gone through editing and such. I can't edit for the Japanese but I'll edit for English and such if necessary as I put the content in. Awesome work guys. emot-biggrin

Sure thing! Thank you much~

#22 | Back to Top02-05-2018 02:30:09 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

ã ©ã ®ã ¿ã ¡é†œæ…‹ã‚’ã •ã‚‰ã ™ã ®ã ¯æ™‚é–“ã ®å• é¡Œã  ã€€Either way, it's only a matter of time before my disgraceful behavior comes to light.

Would 'failing technique' be better for this you think?

#23 | Back to Top02-05-2018 05:07:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay so I made a few changes in red to the translation for editing, mostly wording kind of stuff.

I'm about 2/3rd through putting in the text but I need to sleep... I'm super sick and out of sick time now. (I just called in on SuperBowl Sunday and didn't realize it, go me!)

Give the changes a scan and I think you're right Dallbun, the Jyuri thing is just...insult to injury at this point. This manga is...uh...divisive. In that everyone's arguing on Twitter over which part they hate more. I kind of don't pity Saito this one, at least in so far as this end of the fandom, that thankfully she has fairly minimal contact with I hope. There was literally no way to make everyone happy and she more or less went with 'go back to the same point we were at.' so nothing scary changes.

I will be able to finish this at work tomorrow and distribute it soon. I have a few errands to run since ROFL I LEFT MY LICENSE RENEWAL FOR MY LITERAL BIRTHDAY! Not gonna lie I've been super distracted from a lot of everything important with trying to make the Japan trip happen. emot-rolleyes

Still need to book an Airbnb in Osaka rofl.

#24 | Back to Top02-06-2018 08:45:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WHOAAA KAAAY

So I've worked in a lot of suggestions and feedback and here you guys go!

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details … ul_Thorns_[Translated].zip
To download it. (30mb)

Or you can read it in the Gallery!
http://ohtori.nu/gallery/20th-Manga/Beautiful-Thorns

please
now

i need to sleeep

#25 | Back to Top02-06-2018 05:24:22 PM

Dallbun

Good job sacrificing your health and well-being for our sakes, Gio! Now please don't do that thing anymore for a while.

Now that the chapter's out in English, I just want to say:

I love how we see grown Miki and learn nothing about what he's up to in his life, because no matter what doctorate he's pursuing or conservatory he's teaching at or milkshake shop he's running, he is definitely 100% showing up to cheer Juri on at every one of her matches, and that's the most important thing.

I also love how Juri's character revelation is "I don't need to fight for someone else's sake. Actually I don't need a reason at all! I'm just a very competitive person." I assume that on top of being a fencing champ, she's also going to become a champion bowler and Street Fighter player.

Finally, I hope that every iteration of Utena forevermore has someone die saving someone from drowning in a river, and I hope it's never the same people twice.

Board footer