This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-30-2015 04:13:41 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Favorite Perspective-Changed Songs (Stories, Movies, Etc)

What are your favorite songs that used to have a different perspective? Girls Just Want to Have Fun was, originally, some guy lamenting how he wants to settle down but girls are flighty and shit and just DTF. There are, traditionally, two forms of Delia, the ones from Delia's perspective and those from the viewpoint of the boyfriend/husband who has to kill his no good, wicked, gambling, rambling woman and, then.... there's Bob Dylan's, from the perspective of one of the other guys she hung out with. The two brilliantly different songs called Jolene, about the same woman. Respect is different, sung by Aretha Franklin, than when Otis Redding did it, but Crimson and Clover is essentially the same when Joan Jett does it or when it's a dude, because the perspective hasn't appreciably shifted. Even when the Beatles changed a couple pronouns, Boys does become different, though, than when girl groups sing it. And, when they just go whole hog...

And, sometimes it works out in other forms of entertainment, too. There's a great version of John Carpenter's The Thing and its source short story, wherein we follow the alien as it is being various people and animals and just trying to communicate and make peace by being everybody else.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#2 | Back to Top10-01-2015 12:07:41 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Favorite Perspective-Changed Songs (Stories, Movies, Etc)

What pops into my mind is this cover of Hozier's "Take Me to Church" by Neon Jungle. They're a group of girls but they keep the pronoun 'she' so the cover sounds really gay 8)

And makes for really good SKU amvs.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#3 | Back to Top10-21-2015 08:58:25 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Every Breath You Take, the song by The Police, is originally about a stalker but virtually everyone thinks it is a love song and it's often covered as such. Which raises some interesting questions.

#4 | Back to Top10-22-2015 12:24:59 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Nocturnalux wrote:

Every Breath You Take, the song by The Police, is originally about a stalker but virtually everyone thinks it is a love song and it's often covered as such. Which raises some interesting questions.

Sting, apparently, has done it live replacing "I'll be watching you" with "The fucking stalker song," and other lyrical alterations that just break down the song.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top10-22-2015 11:56:00 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Heh, that's hilarious. I always throught the lyrics were disturbing long before I knew that I was actually right.

Another example is the soap opera, All In The Family. From what I've heard, the main character was meant to lampoon bigotry in general but somehow he became extremely popular with some of the audience who identified themselves with his snarky ways.

Board footer