This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

Poll

FAVORITE SEASON BEACHES

original

83% - 5
The makai tree arc (4 real?

16% - 1
Voters: 9

#1 | Back to Top05-01-2017 04:45:44 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Moonies across the fandom unite!

Not sure if there is a thread for this or not but this is the new place to go talk about sailor moon! crack parings, nostalgia and (maybe) hating crystel is what this is all about. I started watching crystel up till episode 4 and may I say, it fails to capture the style of he 90's and it feels to epic and thriller then the cool power ranger aesthetic. Also best episodes are 110, the superS finale and superS episode 32. If you guys also know of when crystal adapts the dead moon arc, cause superS was my favorite season so if they screw it up there toast. Also, Fave scout is sailor moon cause im basic, but fave inner is venus and outer is sat... JUST KIDDING its uranus bitches.

Last edited by itavin (05-03-2017 02:23:22 PM)

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#2 | Back to Top05-01-2017 04:48:02 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: Moonies across the fandom unite!

Also tried to make a poll but it got fucked up, so sorry emot-frown

If you ever feel like wanting to ruin your life... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

#3 | Back to Top05-02-2017 07:44:25 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

My favorite seasons of both The original and Crystal is Season 3, the Infinity Arc. ('Cause I love Space Lesbians)! etc-jurishlick

So...  I love/hate the first Season/First two arcs of Crystal...  The pacing was off and some of the animation was terrible.  That's not to say I didn't like the style (which a lot of people did like).

And so when the second season (rebranded mind you as the third season... which is bullshit) (aka inifinity arc) has more consistent animation and a little better pacing, but it loses points for No Neptune and Uranus kiss!!! WTF.  They expanded the backgrounds for the four kings of heaven in S1, but No HarukaxMichiru kiss?  I've waited for 20 years for this!!!

So at Anime Matsuri there was a Q&A with Osa-P (Fumino Osano, editor of the Sailor Moon Manga and spear head of the anniversary projects).  I ask him a two part questions but only got one answer.

Me:  "As you know, Sailor Moon was heavily cencsored in the US, specifically the relationship between Sailor Neptune and Uranus.  How do you feel about that?  With that in mind, why didn't we get to see a kiss between Neptune and Uranus when fans have been waiting for 20 years?"

Osa-P:  "They were trying to make a show for everyone".

Me: *Stunned Silence* emot-aaa

Osa-P:  "Next question".

But I got a sweet limited edition phone card for my trouble and he signed it.

Bonus interaction:  When he went to sign it I had the Sailor Neptune Henshin rod/ pen-pointer with me as mu costume.  I set down the card for him to sign and started looking for a pen.  Now, some of you fans may know that these pen-pointers are in now way pens- or if they are I have never found a way to get to the pen part without breaking the pointer part. 

So he looks at it, looks at me, and goes "That's not a pen".
emot-mad 

Yes, Osa-p. despite all the promotion for these products as a pen AND pointer this is, in-fact not a pen.  Thank you. emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl emot-rofl

I laughed so so hard when I got back to the hotel with my friend!

https://twitter.com/MoonstarMcWind/stat … 6417182720

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (05-02-2017 08:28:21 AM)

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#4 | Back to Top05-03-2017 10:34:25 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Also, this:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/74ff09b81248e243b88cd63e062ebaef/tumblr_nvy0gneRgC1uwe5rlo1_500.png

#5 | Back to Top05-03-2017 12:09:34 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

In all honesty I looked at the website this came from and THANKS FOR SHOWING ME MAGIC but here is a complaint on HaruMi: Everyone who watches sailor moon (95' ver, didn't get to s in the manga) Looks at them as the token lesbians of the show who got cousined in america (but not in Israel bitch's, I got to see them in sixth grade with all of their lesbianism in tact, as well as the rest of the gay) but they are so much more then that. There teens, they are naive, ideal, but most importantly, lovers, not just some lesbians who were there for the sake of having a lesbian, there there as characters first, lesbians second. Also seriously Uranus is like the best like how can you even, I would so go etc-wankdude for her if I was straight but for know I will go with hawk eye and professor Tomoe for know.

#6 | Back to Top05-03-2017 02:18:41 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Big Moonie here, favorite seasons have always been S and Stars, Hotaru is muh fave.

Crystal is just... so problematic. The first season was alright, but the henshin sequences were creepy rubbery CGI. Second season was so bad I couldn't even watch it. Third season was watchable and interesting because they followed the manga more closely, especially where Hotaru was concerned and FINALLY got proper henshin sequences. I'm looking forward to R, because that was always my least favorite season of the original anime, and I think would benefit a lot, with the canonical inclusion of the outers.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#7 | Back to Top05-03-2017 02:27:53 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

YamPuff wrote:

. I'm looking forward to R

Didn't R come out all ready in crystal? Did you mean maybe super s or stars?

#8 | Back to Top05-03-2017 05:14:41 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

Also, this:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/74ff09b8124 … o1_500.png

I'm afraid I can't get onboard. At least, on the surface, making her more butch, while transgressive and useful in its ways, was a change, and the original author has every right to be unhappy or pleased with, well, whatever.

And, honestly, "they're a lesbian couple, so one is super femme and the other is a stone butch occasionally mistaken for a man" is only slightly more played than, "No, seriously, this man knows what's up with women way more than this woman, and as the maker of the thing I like, he understood the characters she invented better, too."

Both are possible, but championing either one seems silly to me, particularly because of their exceptional frequency.

Having a go at her for being straight, but ignoring Ikuni's clear indulgence in the fun lesbianz doesn't do either side any good.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#9 | Back to Top05-04-2017 02:54:59 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

itavin wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

. I'm looking forward to R

Didn't R come out all ready in crystal? Did you mean maybe super s or stars?

SuperS I meant XD

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#10 | Back to Top05-05-2017 07:57:35 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

itavin wrote:

In all honesty I looked at the website this came from and THANKS FOR SHOWING ME MAGIC but here is a complaint on HaruMi: Everyone who watches sailor moon (95' ver, didn't get to s in the manga) Looks at them as the token lesbians of the show who got cousined in america (but not in Israel bitch's, I got to see them in sixth grade with all of their lesbianism in tact, as well as the rest of the gay) but they are so much more then that. There teens, they are naive, ideal, but most importantly, lovers, not just some lesbians who were there for the sake of having a lesbian, there there as characters first, lesbians second. Also seriously Uranus is like the best like how can you even, I would so go etc-wankdude for her if I was straight but for know I will go with hawk eye and professor Tomoe for know.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Also, this:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/74ff09b8124 … o1_500.png

I'm afraid I can't get onboard. At least, on the surface, making her more butch, while transgressive and useful in its ways, was a change, and the original author has every right to be unhappy or pleased with, well, whatever.

And, honestly, "they're a lesbian couple, so one is super femme and the other is a stone butch occasionally mistaken for a man" is only slightly more played than, "No, seriously, this man knows what's up with women way more than this woman, and as the maker of the thing I like, he understood the characters she invented better, too."

Both are possible, but championing either one seems silly to me, particularly because of their exceptional frequency.

Having a go at her for being straight, but ignoring Ikuni's clear indulgence in the fun lesbianz doesn't do either side any good.

I love Uranus's Manga version with gender fluidity.  The reason I posted that pic was really about how Ikuhara impacted her image in the anime.

I also liked her Crystal counter part.  The only thing I was really angry about (other than poor animation on the skirts -for real-) was that she didn't get to have a kiss with Neptune.

Last edited by LadyButterflyNebula (05-05-2017 07:58:21 AM)

#11 | Back to Top05-05-2017 10:13:19 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The only thing I was really angry about (other than poor animation on the skirts -for real-) was that she didn't get to have a kiss with Neptune.

Now, that I can get behind.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#12 | Back to Top05-05-2017 03:21:25 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

The only thing I was really angry about (other than poor animation on the skirts -for real-) was that she didn't get to have a kiss with Neptune.

Now, that I can get behind.

Yep, they need dem kiss.

#13 | Back to Top05-05-2017 03:56:23 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The only thing I wanted from Crystal S is a Sailor Saturn henshin AND I GOT ONE

#14 | Back to Top05-06-2017 06:17:39 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

YamPuff wrote:

Saturn's entire fucking entrance is my favorite thing about Crystal. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

My second favorite thing about Crystal is Pluto's first appearance, and I will be forever salty about them whitewashing her to only be about half a shade darker than everyone else.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#15 | Back to Top05-07-2017 10:54:25 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Raven Nightshade wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Saturn's entire fucking entrance is my favorite thing about Crystal. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

My second favorite thing about Crystal is Pluto's first appearance, and I will be forever salty about them whitewashing her to only be about half a shade darker than everyone else.

It's a shame Pluto's big time to shine was in R, which is the worst entry of Crystal IMO.
Good thing they fixed their act somewhat for S.

#16 | Back to Top05-07-2017 03:04:06 PM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

One thing that makes my gears go really badly is when people say super s is the worst season. I mean yeah, the battles are really silly, but hey, if we dont have stakes in them anyway (I mean, you know who will win at the end) might as well make them fun, eh? Also the monsters have a lot of backstory since [ They were the new moon kingdom that nehelnia turned to lemures. So yeah, sailor moon destroyed a kingdom.] and there defeat is symbolic of an exorcism since they are ghosts so thats cool. Also this season is about adulthood and growing up, and has a bunch of rape metaphor's. So this season is like prototype utena, a show about adulthood and growing up and has a bunch of rape metaphor's. So yay. Also this season has the best baddies like Fisheye which is like, THE BEST, and the amazon quartet are fun, but nehelnia is amazing and the finale is so incredible, the whole thing is about how sailor moon chooses mortality and life over fantasy and dreams, or immortality which allows her to get true happiness instead of nehenia who gets false happiness.

Also this scene is perfect. Best scene in the show next to Sailor Neptune [ caught like Jesus in episode 110], and Pluto and Saturn being taken of their [star seeds.] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-ssdFUGSs

In short, people are way to harsh on this season compared to one, which is meh and season 2 makai arc (bleh) or even season five which people love but I dont really but whateve.

Last edited by itavin (05-07-2017 03:05:35 PM)

#17 | Back to Top05-07-2017 10:22:07 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Am I alone in finding the live action Sailor Moon the best? I am, aren't I?

Of course, I like watching the stage shows, too, because OMG adorable, especially if they interact with the kids in the audience.

So, it's probable that I'm looking for different things out of SM than many.

#18 | Back to Top05-09-2017 12:27:06 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I've heard a lot of people praise the live action and also the stage musicals, but I just can't get into them. It's too weird, the outfits and all that on real people, just takes me totally out of the moment.

For me it isn't that SuperS is bad per se, it has a lot going for it, a strong beginning, very strong ending, an overall good arc and some great villains. However, removing the outer senshi was a bad call, as was making the focus of the series Chibi-Usa. Especially considering it's a 42-episode season. The vast majority of episodes focus on random one-off monster of the week baddies and they're not that entertaining or memorable. It's the only season of Sailor Moon that was a chore for me to go through.

#19 | Back to Top05-09-2017 02:22:32 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

YamPuff wrote:

the outfits and all that on real people

I think part of what draws me in, is that they have to start treating the physical bodies as bodies of people, as opposed to props. At least, to a stronger degree.

But, the live action plays the romance a little straighter, too, and I appreciate that. The eagerness to veer sweet.

I think, that's something that turns me off in early-early and SuperS, in that it seems both less earnest and more pose-y. Not that I don't still like enough of what is there to enjoy.

#20 | Back to Top05-11-2017 05:35:10 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

YamPuff wrote:

However, removing the outer senshi was a bad call, as was making the focus of the series Chibi-Usa.

But was it really? I know I am probably one of the few people in the sailor moon fandom that likes chibiusa and thinks she is a very interesting character. In R she got to realize how adults think and act while still trying to get over her anxieties and fears. In S she got to try and become a better person by making friends with Hotaru and helping her with her struggles and fears, and helping Hotaru in the end by her influence on her that allowed her to make mistress 9 (that basic bitch) to go to hell. In SuperS she got to understand love and sexuality while realizing her own dreams, so to say. Her adulthood and wish of adulthood made her a compelling character, while still maintaining the helpful attitude she had in S. Also it is super awesome that Usagi and Chibiusa have their relationship as a mother and daughter one explored in a way that's so creative that I haven't seen it anywhere else, or done as interesting as in here.

And for the outer scouts, there arc was completed in s and we didn't really need them later on, as their arc of growing up and stop being bitches didnt fit for SuperS since they went through what the characters will go through in SuperS. Also, when the did return in Stars, they only acted more dumb and stupid then they did before. Sailor Pluto sucks, so no point talking about her. Sailor Saturn was only in the finale, which was like whatever. Uranus and Neptune were just like "dont hurt Sailor moon cause we are her guardians and we cant work together even though WE FIGHT THE SAME ENEMY AND YOU GUYS WANNA HELP US". It was like they learned nothing in S and they returned to how they were when we first met them. Gr8. Oh and its not like they progressed in the end of the season and they were just happy they were gone, so props to star by ruining the two best things in sailor moon. I appreciated SuperS for taking them out because, yeah, we all want our lesbians in Sailor moon. But it also shows they knew where they needed to put more focus on and where to put less on. 

Yampuff wrote:

The vast majority of episodes focus on random one-off monster of the week baddies and they're not that entertaining or memorable.

Were the monsters in the original memorable? No, not really, except for the twin ones, Thesis, and for some reason I like the clam bitch. Oh and the seven great youma obviously. R had none that were memorable, except for Queen Godzilla and the ant that made Ami scared. S had a lot of memorable monsters so I dont need to mention them. And stars had... something I guess. Not sure what it was though

But super S had a lot of memorable monsters, Like Puko the balloon lady, Mawashitaro, GaraGara Musume, ManeMane Musume, BiriBiri and much more.

Or it msay just be my love for the circus. Oh well emot-keke

#21 | Back to Top05-11-2017 12:17:06 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I like Chibi-Usa just fine.. as Chibi-Usa. As a central character in a series essentially written for teenagers (and also managing to appeal to adults), she just doesn't have the same emotional bite. Teenagers coming into adulthood is a lot more gripping than learning to share and make friends... It's the same reason why I normally don't watch magical girl series with younger preteen characters.

But I mean, SuperS is a particularly polarizing season and the Circus motif IS fabulous.
I know a lot of people who hate the Sailor Stars and I just loved em. So, you know.

#22 | Back to Top05-13-2017 03:29:15 AM

itavin
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

It actually toke me some time to think of why from a marketing stand point putting chibiusa as the focus is a good idea but here are some reasons:

1- The audience isnt really teenagers, but little girls and to attract teens. Not likley, but seeing how precure is marketed I might consider it.

2-Cihibiusa was a popular character in japan? Very unlikely but still an option.

3- If the audience was teens, then who wouldn't want to want to watch there little girl grow up and come of age? Maybe the audience wasnt supposed to look at Chibiusa like a character which you see in her eyes, but looking at her from the perspective of an adult, or in this case sailor moon.

Also, I dont hate the sailor starligths like most people. While replacing Tukedo mask was a bold move, it diffidently made Usagi more interesting, and Fighter was great, so I dont complain.

#23 | Back to Top05-13-2017 04:21:40 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

YamPuff wrote:

Teenagers coming into adulthood is a lot more gripping than learning to share and make friends... It's the same reason why I normally don't watch magical girl series with younger preteen characters.

That's the thing, though: That's not universal. You aren't alone in feeling that, but it's not an objective truth that teenagers coming into adulthood is more gripping. Especially to little kids.

This is something that comes up with Utena, as well, especially re the manga, which was in a magazine that simply wasn't going to allow the show on paper, much less anything more explicit than the tv show.

Doc McStuffins or Degrassi can have an adult joke or a relevantly mature moment or thread that speaks to us, but we can't forget, ultimately, we're not who the show has to work on. itavin is right, I think, in that Sailor Moon's target audience wasn't teens, much less late-teens or young adults. That's a bonus audience.

Plus, I think, Chibi-Usa up at the front could be a good distraction from other things that might have flagged censors or tense parents faster if not for the pink sugar obfuscation.

#24 | Back to Top05-15-2017 11:59:16 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I am considering parting with my Japanese-language Sailor Moon manga and my collection of Naoko Takeuchi's Sailor Moon artbooks volumes 0-5.

This is to raise money for an upcoming trip, so yes, I am selling them and not giving them away.

If anyone is interested in purchasing them directly from me before I put them on eBay or some other venue, let me know.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#25 | Back to Top05-16-2017 08:04:25 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

It's a shame Pluto's big time to shine was in R, which is the worst entry of Crystal IMO.
Good thing they fixed their act somewhat for S.

I agree that I was not happy they "white washed" Pluto.  She always struck me as Indian for some reason…  I guess the geographical region and some of her features.  I always thought her Olive skin was so beautiful in the manga!
And yes, they dropped the ball SO HARD for the Black Moon (R) arc.  All those epic battles with the Black Moon clan that they could have elaborated on WASTED.  Instead we got a King Endymion narrating over a poor copy of a manga illustration of NQS.

Am I alone in finding the live action Sailor Moon the best? I am, aren't I?
Of course, I like watching the stage shows, too, because OMG adorable, especially if they interact with the kids in the audience.
So, it's probable that I'm looking for different things out of SM than many.

I tried PGSM (the live action show) but just couldn’t do it.  I tried so hard.
But I DO love Sera My (The Sailor Moon Musicals)!!!  I just went to Anime Matsuri just to see them!  At the Q and A panel I was able to tell Shuu (Uranus) and Sayaka (Neptune) that I love them!
For record; The videos of the musicals are great, but seeing them LIVE…. Changed my life.  They are impossibly beautiful in person!  The costumes look perfect!  It’s just too much!https://twitter.com/MoonstarMcWind/stat … 2697503744
https://twitter.com/i/moments/851432454003060737

And so for Chibi-Usa…  I hated her until Crystal.  Crystal did a good job rehabilitating her character.  She’s only so-so in the manga, but the 90s anime version of her I wanted to jettison into space.  She’s really cute and sympathetic in Crystal and the dialed the “I wanna pork my daddy† aspects of her character down by a lot. 
The only thing that still weirds me out about Chibi-Usa in both manga and crystal form is that she clearly raped her dad as Black Lady.

Board footer